• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arials

Stat attack: Bobby Wood hasn't scored a goal in over 18 months, club or country. Do they keep him around just to keep Altidore's confidence up? Interesting that Klinsmann still seems to rate him higher than Zardes.

xbhaskarx

Stat attack: Bobby Wood hasn't scored a goal in over 18 months, club or country. Do they keep him around just to keep Altidore's confidence up? Interesting that Klinsmann still seems to rate him higher than Zardes.

Wood is Klinsmann's BFF because he is in Germany.

That's how decisions are made now.

Hell we're trying a new formation with the goal of getting 33 year old Jermaine Jones to the 2018 World Cup...

Osorio

Yeah. If this is the same story in the later friendlies when our season is in full swing then I'll start worrying about the sky falling.
Also, this back line experiment has been a failure. I don't mind the formation but you should have someone like Hedges in the back

Formation's OK.

JJ isn't good enough as a CB to rely on him as a center-half at the international level especially in this formation.

Bobby Wood's got to go. He's a scrub

xbhaskarx

BrianSciaretta: I know these are just friendlies, but the 2nd half #usmnt performances since the World Cup have been disasters

TaylorTwellman: @BrianSciaretta since? What about during

Hopefully the supposed soccer media starts asking a few questions because over the last six months it's only been Matt Doyle...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
BrianSciaretta: I know these are just friendlies, but the 2nd half #usmnt performances since the World Cup have been disasters

Hopefully the supposed soccer media starts asking a few questions because over the last six months it's only been Matt Doyle...

Yep, for some reason we keep falling apart in the back half. It needs to be fixed.

Nesotenso

Our first half wasn't great either. We lost the possession battle in the first half. Was that fatigue as well?

ZZMitch

0-3 in our last set of games including getting blown out by Ireland.

I'm beginning to sympathize a little bit more with my Canadian soccer friends :p Its tough losing all the time

xbhaskarx

Possession is not the only metric. You can lose the possession battle to Chile yet still win the game. In fact the U.S. was doing so, 2-1.

Cystm

Yep, for some reason we keep falling apart in the back half. It needs to be fixed.

I agree.

Maybe If our possession in the second half of any of the friendlies since October were better we would not be putting so much on the defense. By the later half of the game these dudes are just too gassed.

E: I believe that now is the best time to experiment with different positions and formations. I certainly hope that it pays off later on, but it is painful to watch.

Nesotenso

Possession is not the only metric. You can lose the possession battle to Chile yet still win the game. In fact the U.S. was doing so, 2-1.

You can only hold out for so long when most of the time you are fending off attacks. Most of these late goals have a sense of inevitability about them because of how poorly the US does taking care of the ball.

Arials

Wood is Klinsmann's BFF because he is in Germany.

Playing devils advocate, but in the same way a lot of people argued that BWP (a decent League One striker) had Henry to thank for a lot of his 27 goals you could say that Zardes benefited a lot from having the likes of Donovan and Keane playing around him. Henry made 14 assists, but Donovan and Keane made a combined 33 assists.

Klinsmann has the benefit of watching both players in training every day, maybe he thinks Bobby Wood would have scored more than 16 goals in that LA Galaxy team....

Interestingly enough I think we played better in the first half when we were using the 3-5-2 since it appears at half it transitioned to somewhat of a 4-4-2.

E: I believe that now is the best time to experiment with different positions and formations. I certainly hope that it pays off later on, but it is painful to watch.

Yeah this is what's keeping me going. First friendly of the season. If this continues through the rest of the year then I'll start to get super worried.

xbhaskarx

Okay but it's only since last summer that the US has conceded late goals with such regularity, and it's been to both good teams and mediocre teams.

If it's NOT fatigue from running players into the ground in training (a month of three-a-days prior to the World Cup according to Besler) and if the reason is just because the US defense will eventually concede after fending off attacks, why is there such a large difference between the last 7-8 months and the previous few decades? The US has far more talent than it did a decade ago or even just a few years ago.

Maybe it's just coincidence... except that it's not because we can watch the games for ourselves and SEE how fatigued various players (eg Shea, Jones, etc. today) look in the second half.

NoRéN

He did approximately fuck all besides that though. He didn't help maintain possession, he gave away some bad passes, and just overall looked POOR. There was that desperation Fifa 15 shot he made as well, which was just kinda dumb.

Bradley has been crap for a while.

Diskerud loves to have a good contribution and then fade away.

Wondo is just taking up a spot for no reason other than...well, I don't know.

Besler gets made to look like a chump anytime he's up against a quality striker. Can't even use the overworked excuse anymore.

xbhaskarx

In MLS expansion and stadium news:

Sacramento Republic: It's happening...

Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson

“@MarcosBreton: BREAKING: Vivek Ranadive will become an investor in @SacRepublicFC.” United front - Great day for Sac! - #Builtformls

That's the tech billionaire guy who bought the Sacramento Kings based on having coached his daughter's basketball team (lol), I don't think he has any interest in the third division so I think it's an indication that the Republic will be awarded an expansion franchise soon.

Indy Eleven:
Renderings show proposed $82 million Indy Eleven stadium

The Indy Eleven released renderings Wednesday of a proposed $82 million soccer stadium being considered by the Indiana legislature.

Team president Peter Wilt said there are "three or four" potential Downtown locations for the stadium, but he declined to identify those sites.

The 18,500-seat stadium has a large canopy roof over most of the seats that Wilt described as "almost like the bird nest at the Beijing Olympics."

Nice design but no way they could build this for just $82 million...
635580296337871934-Stadium-2.jpg

xbhaskarx

Just in time for San Jose moving up to the #1 allocation spot, it's the return of Freddy Adu:

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider
2 MLS clubs have reached out to Freddy Adu for trial but time running out to accept. Out of contract. Training on own in DC area

Dan Loney:

"According to the MLS Players Union, the San Jose Earthquakes paid their team a few blips shy of four million bucks. That's an entire team that made less than Robbie Keane - who, in fairness, had a much better year than they did."

ouch.

Oh well, we might have added zero players from outside the league but at least the new stadium is looking good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom