• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JeffreyCarlisle said:
Sources tell me Juan Agudelo has signed a deal with MLS and will return to #NERevs. Story to follow. #mls

i7ocJFtl5OOQm.png

Ayy lmao
A friend of mine refers to him as "Papa Smurf on crack." Still probably better than Rikter the Cyberdog

- Liviu Bird for SI: Chivas USA's strong academy plays on, but players have murky future

Lengthy feature article about one of the better academy programs in MLS.
With the team’s future in doubt, many players have drawn interest from other academies, including some in Mexico because of their dual citizenship. The Mexican federation regularly sends scouts to training and matches, as do clubs south of the border.

However, Kleiban says most of the parents refer suitors to him, claiming they will follow him wherever he ends up, just as they did in joining Chivas.

“That’s really good, to feel that support, but the parents and the players, they know it’s not fake,” he says. “They know that there’s a genuine connection and love, and they feel that there’s been big-time progress for the players.”

For now, the Chivas USA youth players and coach remain suspended in bureaucratic limbo. Nobody seems to have the answers they crave (MLS officials did not respond to multiple interview requests for this story).

“We’ve had a lot of people contacting us, and when there’s a serious project involved, we always listen. Obviously, I’m committed to the situation with Chivas and the MLS through June, and we haven’t heard anything beyond June, so we’re seeing what the next step is going to be,” Kleiban says. “Hopefully, it’s going to be a nice home that can continue with the progression with regard to the players and obviously, with my professional progression as well.”

- Galarcep: Sources: Emerson Hyndman sidelined with broken collarbone
Hyndman suffered the injury late in the U.S. Under-20 national team's World Cup qualifying victory against El Salvador on Saturday. Hyndman was one of the key figures in the U-20 team's successful World Cup qualifying campaign, anchoring the midfield and helping the Americans overcome a slow start in the qualifying tournament.

Hyndman, 18, could be sidelined until April, giving him just one month to prepare for the Under-20 World Cup, which begins in late May. He could be back in time to take part in a U.S. Under-20 national team camp slated for late March.

ZZMitch

How is this going to work? I thought all of the games would be on ESPN3 or whatever like NBCSN does for the Premier League?

The site says this: "ESPN will not offer its own package in 2015." I thought the improved TV deal was mostly due to the streaming package?

Yeah seems weird. Whatevs tho I like MLS Live

How is this going to work? I thought all of the games would be on ESPN3 or whatever like NBCSN does for the Premier League?

The site says this: "ESPN will not offer its own package in 2015." I thought the improved TV deal was mostly due to the streaming package?
I'm not sure where things stand at the moment. It's been confusing with all of the shifting rights.

Yeah I was surprised when the MLS survey asked if I was going to subscribe again this year since the story I had heard was Watch ESPN was taking over.

I like MLS Live but I would hate to pay for it then find out its part of my cable package.

xbhaskarx

New England Revolution set to welcome back Juan Agudelo after lengthy stint in European limbo

Interest:
Aside from Utrecht, Agudelo had strong interest from the likes of 1860 Munich, Anderlecht, Feyenoord, Red Bull Leipzig, Red Bull Salzburg Sporting CP, Standard Liège and Werder Bremen. Furthermore, he had calls from top flight clubs in Denmark, Italy and Spain, as well as doomed interest from Birmingham City, Bolton and Wolverhampton in the English Championship.

Cyprus
It appeared for a while last fall that Agudelo would be granted a Cypriot passport, allowing him to finally become a member of Stoke's squad. However, the small European country eventually became concerned about the bad press they might receive for approving the passport, and precious transfer window time frittered away until the youngster had to change course.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

This article might lend some insight:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ia-rights-deals-mean-match-streaming-mls-live

If I'm understanding right, it sounds like this is the last year of MLS Live and the ESPN3 stuff kicks in next year.

xbhaskarx

Sac Republic FC @SacRepublicFC

Welcome to the #Sacramento family @JedYork! #BuiltForMLS pic.twitter.com/fuf70wwcfH

.@JedYork talks w/ media after @KJ_MayorJohnson's announcement @49ers to invest in #RepublicFC
B8kVFFnCAAASoXm.jpg

Same stake as Kings:

49ers group - it's Jed York & partners, not the team - will have roughly the same stake as Kings, says @RepublicFCPrez

In the last two days the Sacramento Republic ownership group has added Ranadive from the Kings and York from the 49ers...

Dartastic

Sac Republic FC @SacRepublicFC

Welcome to the #Sacramento family @JedYork! #BuiltForMLS pic.twitter.com/fuf70wwcfH

In the last two days the Sacramento Republic ownership group has added Ranadive from the Kings and York from the 49ers...
Sacramento deserves a franchise.

I cannot wait for Saturday. I know it's just a preseason game, and I know the quality of the stream will be bad, and there won't be commentary, but omg. Preseason. It's here. The first game back at Providence Park is coming. IT'S SOON. I'M SO EXCITED. :D

Askani

Just saw the NYCFC SS rules floating around. Sounds like a really fun group to aparZZZZzzz....

Yankee's Stadium rules, but still...

Also, looks like the ACB was sanctioned for bad behaviour from the MLS final.

Hello ACB Supporters and Galaxy fans,

It is our unfortunate responsibility to inform you that yesterday the Galaxy FO officially sanctioned us for throwing streamers during the game at last year's MLS Cup final and what they deemed as a year filled with incidents.

These sanctions include:

1. No supporters privileges for the first 4 matches of the season, including the home opener.
No flags, No drums, No tifo, No banners

Friday 6-Mar VS. CHICAGO
Saturday 21-Mar VS. HOUSTON
Sunday 12-Apr VS. SEATTLE
Saturday 18-Apr VS. KANSAS CITY

2. No supporters privileges at the first 4 away matches of the season
No flags, No drums, No tifo, No banners

Sunday 15-Mar Timbers
Saturday 28-Mar DC United
Saturday 4-Apr White Caps
Sunday 26-Apr NYRB

3. No streamers for the entire 2015 season

We want to make it clear, that disrupting the field of play by throwing objects on the field is never ok. However we strongly feel that extending the punishment beyond the scope of streamers is truly unjust.

In addition to the streamer issue, much of their rational for these restrictions are from the past; actions that we believed were already sorted and settled (smoke throughout the season for example). Changing the rules midway through the season without notification is simply unethical. We were already penalized for the smoke incidents last season, and now this "encompassing" punishment is penalizing us again. We are truly shocked and disappointed by the severity of the FO's actions!

We will be discussing this at our board meeting on Saturday and ask that all supporters come to help us take the best possible course of action.

ACB121 Meeting
Saturday 1/31/15 6pm - 8pm
Phantom Carriage Brewery
18525 S. Main St. Carson CA 90248

If you are unable to make it or are not an ACB supporter, but have an opinion, please write to angelcitybrigade121@gmail.com and we will read your thoughts and opinions at the meeting.

If you would like to express your displeasure to the Galaxy/MLS please feel free to reach out to Sid Patel the Manager of Business Development at spatel@lagalaxy.com

The Angel City Brigade

A couple tidbits via twitter:

- Pulisic received his Croatian dual-citizenship today, so that should clear the way for him to start his Dortmund deal in earnest
- There was a report today that Gyau had a major setback with his knee problem and that he'll need surgery again :(

Dartastic

First MLS friendly kicks off in one hour! Orlando City vs DC United! No Kaka apparently and Orlando City will be without (or they'll probably be limited) some of the guys from the U-20 Championship, but should be fun. I won't get to watch it or much of it since we have to go to a going away party.. dammit.

You can stream it here: http://www.imgacademy.com/img-suncoast-pro-classic-livestream-stadium -- I think I read it'll be on DC United's site as well.
I'm pretty stoked to watch this. I'll only be able to catch the 2nd half, but yeah. Meanwhile, tomorrow the Timbers will be streaming a game as well. HOORAY! MLS IS ALMOST BACK!

NoRéN

#2 I think. He really is the poster boy for what wasted potential and bad development look like, dude was a monster for the under-20's and now he's nothing. I can't help but feel bad.
Dude looks like he really tries when he plays, too. Shame how it all turned out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;149898413 said:
Dude looks like he really tries when he plays, too. Shame how it all turned out.

Man I remember when I was a kid and they were pushing him as the next big thing, American Pele and shit. Dude definitely had skills, just nothing seemed to go right for him. I mean, who knows, he's still only 25. He may not ever live up to the original hype, but he could at least have a career here.

THE WINDS OF CHANGE: IS CUBA ON THE BRINK OF A FOOTBALLING REVOLUTION?

http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!the-winds-of-change-in-cuba/c1ofr

This is like the tenth article on soccer taking off in Cuba over the last few years...

Considering we're gonna start normalizing relations, it could mean something this time. I imagine scouts from a bunch of sports are going to be going down there to see what talent they can bring over. I know the baseball scouts are practically salivating at the thought.

Osorio

THE WINDS OF CHANGE: IS CUBA ON THE BRINK OF A FOOTBALLING REVOLUTION?

http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!the-winds-of-change-in-cuba/c1ofr

This is like the tenth article on soccer taking off in Cuba over the last few years...

Yeah but how many articles about soccer taking off in America before it actually came true?

Cuba will be a power once it puts more money into the soccer infrastructure. The interest in the sport has only taken off recently with la liga matches broadcast on tv every week

Osorio

So it seems after Miazga gave up a penalty and got injured in the first 35 minutes of play with Leipzig they're sending him back to us!

Global synergy

#2 I think. He really is the poster boy for what wasted potential and bad development look like, dude was a monster for the under-20's and now he's nothing. I can't help but feel bad.

It seemed like he might have had a career resurgence (at least for country) on the cards after his cameo performance at the 2011 Gold Cup.

But alas Papa Megamind got canned and he never caught on with Klinsi.

At least he still has time to make some sort of career for himself. He's still somehow only 25 years old.

Osorio

Earthquakes signed somebody!

Innocent Emeghara

New stadium in tow, the San Jose Earthquakes aren't content to stand pat.

On Saturday, the Quakes announced they'd signed forward Innocent Emeghara as the club's third Designated Player pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 25-year-old forward has spent his career in Switzerland, France, Italy and Azerbaijan, also earning nine caps for Switzerland. He most recently played for Qarabag Agbam in the Azerbaijan Premier League, where he scored five goals in eight appearances.

Quakes hope to have found "young Ricardo Clark" in midfielder Alashe
"We are excited to sign a player of his quality," general manager John Doyle said in a statement. "He is a player in the prime of his career who has played at the highest levels and we are happy to bring him here on a long-term deal. I would like to thank ownership and Dave Kaval for their commitment to signing a third Designated Player."

Prior to his time with Qarabag, the Lagos, Nigeria, native notched seven goals and two assists in 17 appearances with Siena of Serie A. He also had four goals and seven assists in 30 appearances while on loan with Livorno during the 2013-14 season. Before his Serie A experience, Emeghara played for FC Lorient in Ligue 1, making 28 appearances and netting five goals from 2011-2013.

"It is always good to sign a forward who has the potential to run away from the defense, but who is also clever enough to join in the play," said head coach Dominic Kinnear. "He is good signing for the league and our team. He will be a threat to score every time he steps on the field. I would like to thank ownership, John Doyle and my staff for being very thorough as we looked for a new addition to the team."

Find more Quakes news at SJEarthquakes.com
Emeghara started his professional career in Switzerland with FC Zurich II in 2006, scoring 16 goals in 48 appearances with the team. His play earned him a transfer to Swiss club FC Winterthur. During the 2009-10 season, Emeghara led Winterthur with 21 goals in 31 appearances, five of which came in the club's run to the Round of 16 in the 2009-10 Swiss Cup. He would then kick off the 2009-10 Swiss Challenge League with four goals in the first five games of the season before moving onto the Swiss Super League and Grasshoppers Club Zurich (15 goals and 12 assists in 46 appearances).

Internationally, Emeghara has represented Switzerland at the U-21 and senior levels, notching five goals and two assists in 17 total appearances between the two teams.

Emeghara is the fourth Designated Player in club history. The first was Brazilian playmaker Geovanni. Next came Bay Area native and United States national team forward Chris Wondolowski and Argentinean midfielder Matias Perez Garcia, who signed with the club last summer.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-designated-player-swiss-international-forwar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom