• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Don't let the dominant performance in the preseason get to your head Don't let the dominant performance in the preseason get to your head Don't let the dominant performance in the preseason get to your head

Rainy

Banned
I've followed more of European soccer my whole life but my dad has a friend at work who is related to the Earthquakes head coach. Free tickets! The new stadium looks pretty sweet too. Guess now is a good time as any to get into MLS.

I've followed more of European soccer my whole life but my dad has a friend at work who is related to the Earthquakes head coach. Free tickets! The new stadium looks pretty sweet too. Guess now is a good time as any to get into MLS.

Yeah I would definitely take advantage of that. A few Quakes fans on here as well. Welcome.

Johannsson, Brooks, and Rubin with starts today for their respective teams. Chandler and Johnson played in Germany yesterday, as well. Johannsson goal.

Welcome aboard. Good time to get some tickets to the Quakes with the new stadium and a coaching change.

Dartastic

One of the new Union ones is going to be white :(. That and with Adidas apparently cracking down on third kits, I want #adidasout
Our third kit is the best one. :(

Here's a pic of our new kits. So bad.
P9TVvTZ.jpg

Osorio

First preseason game went well

http://metrofanatic.com/story.jsp?ID=6590

It took all of 12 minutes in Sunday's preseason opener against the University of South Florida for the hard work to come together. Sal Zizzo's centering pass from the left picked out Bradley Wright-Phillips to find the first goal in New York's 4-0 rout of USF Sunday morning.

New York continued to apply pressure and increased their lead just five minutes later when Dax McCarty played a perfect ball through for trialist Mike Grella. The Glen Cove, NY product took one touch before rounding the USF goalkeeper and finishing in the 17th minute.

In the 22nd minute, Chris Duvall played Lloyd Sam to the endline on the right before sending a pinpoint cross towards the back post for Zizzo, but the San Diego product headed just wide of goal.

Two minutes later Sam and Zizzo linked up again with a different result as the Englishman pounced on a turnover in midfield and quickly transitioned towards goal. Zizzo cut in from the left as Sam put a nice ball into his path, leaving the winger an easy finish in the 24th minute.

Most of the squad changed at halftime and, with it, the attack died down a bit.

The one goal of that half came when SuperDraft selection Manolo Sanchez turned his man on the right and centered for newly arrived forward Anatole Abang in the 58th minute.

xbhaskarx

Will Parchman: Does Jurgen Klinsmann have a training problem?

But the senior team arguably still does not have an “identity,” – or lost one, depending on your interpretation of fitness – has not improved at a World Cup in nearly 13 years and has suddenly lost its once world class fitness level. Since the start of the World Cup, 14 of the last 17 goals the U.S. has given up have come in the second half. Nine came after the 80th minute. Those numbers are staggering.

Remember, this was once a team that had steel rods for legs and an iron lung purring in its collective chest. After the U.S. dropped Spain 2-0 in the 2009 Confederations Cup, one of the finest results in the team’s history, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque said this.

“The US play with a lot of energy. They are good in attack and very fast. They don’t spend a lot of time in midfield as they go straight for the goal. We were surprised by their play as a team. We tried to go down the wings because it was too tough for us through the middle. We created a lot of opportunities but we didn’t have the final touch today and they came up with a lot of close saves.”

In reality, this was the U.S. “identity” for years. Speed, no-nonsense down the spine, outstanding goalkeeping and fitness for weeks.

- Greg Seltzer looks at the clubs that have employed the most Americans over the years
Dear Cottagers, with only one American now, you're really lagging behind in the all-time table for employing Americans Abroad. I went back and updated Jacob's original standings and there's been tons of movement in almost three years since it went up. In addition to the newer names, I dug up a half-dozen or so older ones we missed last time.

All the same rules apply as when he first tabulated this (long story short: one needs to have gotten into the first team or currently look like they will before long), but I am not listing nearly as far down the numbers as he did.

#1 - Ljungskile SK (12 Americans) - Colin Burns, Etchu Tabe, Nick Noble, Michael Thomas, Sam Brill, Ryan Miller, Aaron Nichols, Brandon McDonald, Pat McMahon, Alex Horwath, Patrick Hopkins, Charlie Campbell

#2 - Club Tijuana (11) - Bruno Piceno, Joe Corona, Edgar Castillo, Herculez Gomez, Gregory Garza, Paul Arriola, Alejandro Guido, Esteban Rodriguez, Amando Moreno, Fernando Arce, Jr., John Requejo

#3 - FC Saarbrücken (9) - Johnny Maessner, Robert Clarke, A.J. Wood, Ryan Tinsley, Dario Brose, Eric Wynalda, Joe Max-Moore, Thomas Dooley*, Matt Taylor

#4 - Fulham (8) - Marcus Hahnemann, Eddie Lewis, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Kasey Keller, Eddie Johnson, Emerson Hyndman

(tied) Stabæk (8) - Chris Henderson, Mikkel Diskerud, Erik Benjaminsen, Ricardo Clark, Sean Cunningham, Michael Stephens, Andrew Jacobsen, Cole Grossman

(tied) UANL Tigres (8) - Tab Ramos, Edgar Castillo, Victor Garza, Jonathan Bornstein, Juan Pablo Ocegueda, Jose Francisco Torres, Moises Orozco, Omar Salgado
#7 - Leeds United (7) - Mike Lane, Eddie Lewis, Jemal Johnson, Mike Grella, Eric Lichaj, Robbie Rogers, Gboly Ariyibi

#8 - 1860 Munich (6) - Matthew Okoh, Josh Wolff, Gregg Berhalter, Kenny Cooper, Fabian Johnson, Bobby Wood

(tied) Bayer Leverkusen (6) - Thomas Dooley, Claudio Reyna, Frankie Hejduk, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, David Yeldell

(tied) Everton (6) - Preki, Joe Max-Moore, Brian McBride, Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, Marcus Hahnemann

(tied) Kickers Emden (6) - Chad Deering, John van Buskirk, Grover Gibson, Adam Martin Coronado, Ruben Gonzales Jr., Navid Ali Torabian

(tied) León (6) - Marcelo Balboa, Eric Wynalda, Marco Vidal, Victor Sánchez García, Dennis Flores, Miguel Palafox

(tied) Mainz 05 (6) - Aaron Biagioli, David Wagner, Mike Duhaney, Grover Gibson, Conor Casey, Jared Jeffrey

(tied) SV Elversberg (6) - Brent Goulet*, Kenney Bertz, Grover Gibson, Michael Mason, Tim Lawson, Russell Payne

(tied) Tottenham (6) - Jim Brown, Kasey Keller, Brad Friedel, Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin, Cameron Carter-Vickers

(tied) VfL Wolfsburg (6) - Brian McBride, Mike Lapper, Chad Deering, Claudio Reyna, Kamani Hill, Fabian Johnson

And rounding out the top 20(+), here are the teams who've fielded five Americans: Borussia Dortmund, Derby County, Hannover 96, Molde FK, Nottingham Forest, Rangers and Santos Laguna.

xbhaskarx

In terms of importance, both to the US and their teams, clearly Fulham is #1.
Those Ljungskile guys are a bunch of no names, I think Ryan Miller maybe got into a January camp once under Bradley, but then he went to Portland and didn't do much...
Tijuana is clearly the big one now, amazingly 9 of those 11 are currently with the team, only Herc and Castillo are not. In fact if you count Cirilo Saucedo they're already tied for first. I'm not sure he meets the criteria just as a US citizen because he's never suited up for the US, I see Shawn Parker isn't listed for Mainz so maybe that's the minimum requirement...

I feel like Hoffenheim should be on the list somewhere, but maybe they've only had 4-5 (Johnson, Williams, Canouse, Pfeffer, Toljan)...

You mean we might get Soares back?

http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=31363

It appears that A.J. Soares’ move to Hellas Verona is in jeopardy of falling apart.

According to multiple sources, negotiations between the former Revolution center back and the Serie A side have stalled, and after the transfer window closed on Monday, Soares’ hopes of playing in Italy seem to be slipping away.

A Verona spokesman said in a phone interview on Tuesday that the club has no new players to announce now that the transfer window for Serie A teams has been shut.

Another source with knowledge of the negotiations says that the club is no longer actively pursuing Soares. An attempt to reach Soares’ agent for comment was unsuccessful.

Though Verona was interested in Soares before the transfer window opened on Jan. 1, negotiations reportedly fell apart recently due to finances. And, according to a source, Soares can thank a former adversary for that.

Rafael Marquez, the former New York Red Bulls defender who joined Verona last summer following a sterling performance at the World Cup, reportedly has a clause in his contract that states he will be paid a significant sum of money if the club signs another defender. Thus, the signing of Soares — even as a free agent — would trigger the clause.

So Verona, which has the fourth-worst defense in Serie A, and needing reinforcements along its back line, was forced to improvise. Before the conclusion of the transfer window on Monday, they added defender Eros Pisano on loan from Palermo. Though there’s a mandatory option to buy on the deal, Verona appear to have temporarily dodged having to pay the extra fee on Marquez’s contract, which expires at the end of this season.

Marquez, who played against Soares numerous times in MLS, even bragged about taking a pay cut to sign with Verona this summer after his deal– which had undisclosed terms — was announced.

What this means for Soares’ immediate future is unclear. Typically, clubs address their needs during the transfer window. Once it closes, options become severely limited for free agents. As a free agent, Soares is able to join Verona outside of the transfer window — until Feb. 28 — if he and his agent can re-structure a deal.

The Revolution still retain his MLS rights, so he’ll be allocated to them automatically if he makes the decision to return to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom