• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Sorry but not following the US national team for longer than the current cycle plus part of the last one pretty much means having little idea of how the current player pool (I'm not sure how anyone can argue it isn't deeper in 2013-15 than it's ever been) and opposition (This was the best Portugal team we've ever faced right? Know anything about Romania in the days of Hagi without consulting Google?) compares to those from previous World Cups.

The last two cycles have been the ones which I have completely seen. But I have followed and watched WCs since 94.

Meier

Xavi is headed to Qatar, so no NYCFC for him.
Not sure if it's entirely confirmed yet but Kreis said the other day he didn't think he'd fit in necessarily at NYCFC since their DPs were in their 30s already and one was a CM. Probably was the deciding factor for the possible Qatar deal. Could have just been Kreis saving face as well though.

xbhaskarx

These Klinsmann quotes are as baffling as the **** that usually comes out of his mouth...

"I think the backline overall did a fine job"

overall "a lot of really great work" last night

"overall it was an even game"

Seth Vertelney ‏@svertelney

That....is not true RT @BrianSciaretta Klinsmann: "overall it was an even game"

CA-TNoTUYAAhIDm.png

Nesotenso

The backline was not good and it was nowhere near an even game. I don't what game JK saw. He should be emphasizing that his team doesn't turnover and keep the ball for longer periods of time. The team's best moments come when they are able to string passes together.

Mully

The only reason I can think he'd be making those statements is that he wanted to see what the new guys could do going up against a non CONCACAF team in shitty conditions away from home, but it doesn't make much sense without him qualifying each statement with, "for a bunch of new guys."

The backline was not good and it was nowhere near an even game. I don't what game JK saw. He should be emphasizing that his team doesn't turnover and keep the ball for longer periods of time. The team's best moments come when they are able to string passes together.

And that seemed to only happen after each goal scored. And then they seemed to lose confidence really quickly not long after. Why. This isn't a new thing either. Suddenly it's the 60th-70th-80th minute and the clock strikes midnight and normal Fiona turns into Ogre Fiona and suddenly everything changes for the worse.

July will be really telling. Do we come out guns a blazin and coast through the tournament with nary an issue and manage to beat Mexico soundly in the final or are we less successful and bow out before we should? Because if it's the former then it's easier to forget these friendlies, if it's the latter, well.... we might have to have a long hard look internally.

Cystm

Klinsmann: "I think the backline overall did a fine job"

ixUkcd8CHOfiW.png

I like Klinsmann and appreciate the effort he has put into US Soccer. I am going to give him the benefit of doubt on this, but I could not resist.

xbhaskarx

Minnesota's MLS expansion deal rests on stadium plans
20150325__150326SoccerSite.jpg

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber has circled July on the calendar. That's when he wants Minnesota United FC's stadium plans -- specifically the financing -- in place for an expansion franchise.

If that happens, Garber said Wednesday, a Minnesota MLS team could start playing in 2017. If it doesn't happen ...

"We would then, as an ownership group, take a step back and decide whether we wanted to come to Minnesota," Garber said.

"We have other options around the country, some of which with very detailed soccer-stadium plans, and we would have to make that decision at that time."

"We have confidence that they will get their stadium project completed, and if we didn't have confidence in them, we wouldn't be here," Garber said.

The primary reason for his optimism, Garber said, is United's ownership group. Headed by former UnitedHealth Group executive Bill McGuire, it includes Minnesota Twins owners Jim and Bob Pohlad and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor.

"This is an ownership group that's embedded in the community and has done this before both on the sports and on the civic and community side," Garber said. "They own the land. They have a grand vision and a good strategy to get it done."

Dayton reiterated Wednesday the broad opposition to a direct subsidy but didn't close the door on other methods of assistance. Dayton said it's possible the state transportation department or county governments would help with roads or other infrastructure improvements in the vicinity of a stadium.

"If there's another exit ramp or widening of an exit ramp necessary to accommodate the increased flow of traffic, that's something we do for project expansions all over the state," Dayton said. "And if it fits within that norm - it's premature, but - that is something in my mind that could be considered."

- MLS Analyst: Armchair Analyst: Total shot ratio, a lack of identity and the USMNT's current woes
Klinsmann's tried the 4-3-3, and the 4-2-3-1, and the diamond 4-4-2, and a flat 4-4-2, and the 3-5-2 and a flat, high block/low block 4-4-2 (like Atletico Madrid play) since the World Cup.

The one thing he hasn't tried is consistency. With so many changes from game to game, and so many guys playing out of position, what are we really learning here? And is it about the players, the team the tactics or the coach?
- SBI: Jesse Marsch Sees Lack of Identity as Part of Reason for Recent USMNT Woes
“I think that the tricky part with entering a new cycle is trying to look at new players, but also still maintain the identity that you want to be,” Marsch told reporters on Thursday. “I appreciate that they’ve looked at a lot of new players, but I’m not sure what the identity is of what they’re trying to build there. That would be my main question mark. It looks to me too much like a bunch of guys kind of thrown on the field.”

Part of the team’s lack of identity stems from the constant roster fluctuation that has become common place in recent call-ups. With Jugen Klinsmann and the current staff opting to get closer looks at more new faces each and every friendly, the team’s identity has taken a hit, Marsch says, due to the lack of continuity between regulars.

“That’s is part of it,” Marsch said when asked if lineup tinkering could be part of the problem. “No matter when you bring in new personnel, there still needs to be an identity to what the team is, and that’s not easy. I know, because you get guys coming from all these different areas and you have a few days to put the team together, but somehow there’s got to be a consistent message and way to play no matter who’s involved.

xbhaskarx

The simplest reason why Sacramento should get a MLS team
We're the largest television market in America with only one major league sports franchise.

Even after adding Minneapolis and Atlanta about half of those markets don't have MLS teams (and that's considering Boston / SF as MLS markets)...

No MLS: TV Homes

Atlanta: 2.36
Detroit: 1.85
Phoenix: 1.85
Tampa: 1.83
Minneapolis: 1.75
Miami: 1.66
Cleveland: 1.48
Sacramento: 1.39
St Louis: 1.25
Pittsburgh: 1.18
Raleigh: 1.16
Charlotte: 1.16
Baltimore: 1.10
Indianapolis: 1.10
San Diego: 1.08
Nashville: 1.04

Sacramento doesn't even support the team they have. They don't need more professional sports teams in California. Spend some money on infrastructure to solve your water problems or something.

xbhaskarx

Sacramento doesn't even support the team they have.

They... have the Sacramento Republic and have sold out all but one game, including many in a 20k college football stadium with turf and a track?

The Republic made its home debut on April 26, 2014 at Hughes Stadium, losing 2-1 to the Harrisburg City Islanders, before a sellout crowd of 20,231.[6] This figure nearly doubled the previous USL Pro regular season single game attendance record of 10,697.[7] The following match, a 2-1 win over Orange County Blues FC, drew a slightly smaller crowd of 17,414. Eventually, all their home games were sellouts except this one.[8]

The Republic inaugurated their new 8,000 seat, soccer-specific stadium, Bonney Field at Cal Expo, on June 20, 2014. They defeated the Colorado Rapids Reserve team 4-3. Mike Fucito scored the winning goal in the 84th Minute.[9]

On July 27, 2014 the team broke the USL Pro regular season attendance record of 112,748 previously set by Orlando City SC. Their total attendance was 182,107 (158,107 regular season; 24,000 in the playoffs).[10]

xbhaskarx

Fire add midfielder Victor Perez on loan from Spain's Valladolid

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta
US U-23s defeat Bosnia 5-2 with goals from Rodriguez, Morris, Hernandez, Joya, & Alashe - nice first win for Herzog

Joseph S Blatter @SeppBlatter
Great to welcome @JozyAltidore & @ussoccer teammates at Home of FIFA today, before their Zurich friendly on Tuesday.

CBHkoTsVEAAhTki.jpg

I didn't realize Blatter was so short... also Danny Devito with dyed hair would have been a better choice to play him than Tim Roth.

xbhaskarx

MLS agrees to four-year deal with broadcaster Globosat to televise league matches live in Brazil

David Beckham and Miami MLS expansion group to have "significant" news before summer

David Beckham paid a visit to Miami this week, and though there were no official updates on his group's MLS expansion bid, the Miami Herald's Michelle Kaufmann reported that Beckham hopes to have "significant" news to share "before summer."

According to the Herald, the news could include the final makeup of the ownership group, a name for the club, and that the group has narrowed down their stadium plans to four or five sites the former LA Galaxy man "quite likes."

zzzzz

Blue Lou

He gets a bad rap from fans.

His professional career started as a 14 teen year old, he's now 25, an Olympian and has reached two continental finals and one worldwide and has played for some of Europe's largest clubs in Benfica and Monaco. His biggest mistake in my opinion, is not staying in one place and work towards getting an EU passport. Personally, I'd love him to do a podcast and talk about his career so far.

Are there any decent American backs? As in, at all? All four back lines we've seen so far today looked completely terrified.

If I wanted my kid to pay soccer now I'd feed him gunpowder, have him kick slabs of frozen meat for an hour straight, and practice salsa dancing every night. Intimidation, aggression, positioning, and footwork...it's all right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom