• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

I thought the red bulls game would be packed. Undefeated, galaxy, perfect weather...

I'd put actual attendance around 17,000

A girl I sit next to in ESC has been working on an attendance study of the Red Bulls the last few years. Temperatures above 75 degrees are the only catalyst for high attendance at Red Bull Arena according to her research.

I feel like one of the portland players had the kind of tackle similar to Marshall's that got upgraded to a red during the week. Was it as bad as it looked from my seat?

Cystm

Seems like he does not really command a lot of respect. At one point he just gets straight up ignored from one of his teammates. Still, interesting to hear the banter/strategizing on the pitch.
Him smelling his finger after that is the weirdest thing I have seen the dude do.
Nah he's still contracted to us but I wouldn't wish him on anyone
ibs9B9hvsUjX2x.png

Might be my last chance to use it.

Seems like he does not really command a lot of respect. At one point he just gets straight up ignored from one of his teammates. Still, interesting to hear the banter/strategizing on the pitch.

yeah that sounds about right. we're a huge fucking mess right now.

ibs9B9hvsUjX2x.png

Might be my last chance to use it.

You can use it for whenever he gets transfered to some lower tier league team no one's heard about where he'll only be there for a few months before his attitude gets the best of him again.

Osorio

I'm waiting for the day they hand out the 2006 Metrostars shirts that are hidden in boxes somewhere in RBA.

And no I'm not kidding. They're there.

- ICC schedule is up:
Following is a list of the schedule of the tournament:

• Saturday, July 11
o Club América vs. Los Angeles Galaxy – StubHub Center; Carson, California. 11:30 p.m. EST

• Tuesday, July 14
o Club América vs. San Jose Earthquakes – Avaya Stadium; San Jose, California. 10:30 p.m. EST

• Friday, July 17
o Club América vs. Manchester United F.C. – CenturyLink Field; Seattle, Washington. 11 p.m. EST

• Saturday, July 18
o FC Porto vs. Paris Saint-Germain F.C. – BMO Field; Toronto, Canada. 8:30 p.m. EST

• Tuesday, July 21
o Los Angeles Galaxy vs. FC Barcelona – Rose Bowl; Los Angeles, California. 11 p.m. EST
o Paris Saint-Germain F.C. vs. ACF Fiorentina – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 8:30 p.m. EST
o Manchester United F.C. vs. San Jose Earthquakes – To Be Announced.

• Wednesday, July 22
o Chelsea F.C. vs. New York Red Bulls – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 8 p.m. EST

• Friday, July 24
o ACF Fiorentina vs. FC Porto – Rentschler Field; Hartford, Connecticut. 8 p.m. EST

• Saturday July 25
o Manchester United F.C. vs. F.C. Barcelona – Levi’s Stadium; Santa Clara, California. 4 p.m. EST
o Paris Saint-Germain F.C. vs. Chelsea F.C. – Bank of America Stadium; Charlotte, North Carolina. 6 p.m. EST

• Sunday, July 26
o FC Porto vs. New York Red Bulls – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 7:30 p.m. EST

• Tuesday, July 28
o FC Barcelona vs. Chelsea F.C. – FedEx Field; Washington D.C. 8 p.m. EST
o Club América vs. FC Porto – Estadio Azteca; Mexico City, Mexico. 10 p.m. EST

• Wednesday, July 29
o Manchester United F.C. vs. Paris Saint-Germain F.C. – Solider Field; Chicago, Illinois. 9 p.m. EST

• Sunday, August 2
o ACF Fiorentina vs. FC Barcelona – Stadio Artemio Franchi; Florence, Italy. 1 p.m. EST

• Wednesday, August 5
o Chelsea F.C. vs. ACF Fiorentina – Stamford Bridge; London, England. 3 p.m. EST

Mully

So I can finally make a Metro game.

The NYC "derby"

Who's in for that one?

I'll be there.

Some pretty great ideas have been tossed around ESC and a few other RB discussion groups on Facebook over the last few weeks. I've listed my favorites below.

-Everyone brings their baseball gloves.
-Ballouchy's Tequila returns.
-A Tifo that says "I remember my first soccer game."
-Missing posters for Lampard.
-A mini Tifo that says, "Atleast we played at a football stadium."

I'm sure there will be more as the, "derby," approaches. Although, I don't think there will be many NYC fans.

Hey Metro-GAF, which game is the one you guys get the free ride down? This weekend or the one in September?

I think the Riders+Rebellion chanted "Where's Lampard" before the start of the game at NYCFC.

Mully

Hey Metro-GAF, which game is the one you guys get the free ride down? This weekend or the one in September?

I think the Riders+Rebellion chanted "Where's Lampard" before the start of the game at NYCFC.

This weekend if you're a season ticket holder. I can't go.

Dartastic

Alright. So, I was a bit drunk the other day, and I did a terrible job of explaining myself, and was definitely more of an abrasive idiot than I needed to be. Whatever. Outside of some aggressive idiots being aggressive idiots, the following is what I was referring to. I met plenty of really nice Seattle fans after the game though, so I guess it balanced out the morons.

nKWV7F0.jpg

That's ECS's section. I was really shocked at how small it seemed. In Portland, that's the equivalent of 106, 107, and 108. Ish. That's maybe... 1/4 the size of the Army? The Army spans from 101/201 to 108/208. And the majority of those sections in the Army yell and cheer and jump up and down and are genuinely pretty active.

Meanwhile, ECS's section was the only one that seemed to be bringing it. The rest of the stadium was pretty subdued. Maybe it was just harder for me to tell in such a huge stadium, but I was sort of surprised at how small their supporters section seemed compared to ours.

Mully

From my brief experience at a Sounders game last year, ECS comes out to support their fans, but most of what makes up the supporters section are families and tourists (fans looking for cheap seats). They have good crowd leaders, and with or without a large number of veterans, they represent. Century Link is never empty.

That's gold.

7 minutes in, sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

The gloves should be brought to Yankee Stadium on 6/28. They'd look weird at RBA. The more I think about it, the more I think we should do nothing more than represent for RBNY on the 10th. We should go all out for 6/28.

Dartastic

How long before the whistle was that shot taken? No one is on the pitch.
That was about ten minutes before the national anthem, according to the time stamp on my phone.
From my brief experience at a Sounders game last year, ECS comes out to support their fans, but most of what makes up the supporters section are families and tourists (fans looking for cheap seats). They have good crowd leaders, and with or without a large number of veterans, they represent. Century Link is never empty.
Yeah, I'm not saying it was empty at all. The stadium was almost full, and I definitely saw lots of families there. I'm just saying that I expected their hardcore fan section (their equivalent of the Army, basically) to be bigger. I didn't expect it to be like, 1/4 or 1/3 of the Army.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The gloves should be brought to Yankee Stadium on 6/28. They'd look weird at RBA. The more I think about it, the more I think we should do nothing more than represent for RBNY on the 10th. We should go all out for 6/28.

Yea, the trolling should be saved for the game at Yankee Stadium. Let the team rolling over NYCFC like a steam roller speak for us, a 3-0 Red Bull win--it'll probably be worse than this for them--on the 10th will say more than us trolling could ever say.

Mully

I totally agree. Initially, I was all about trolling NYCFC. Now, it's clear that we just need to play well and have a classy supporters group in that game to dominate NYCFC. On 6/28, the ESC, GSU, and VA vets who take the trip and tickets should organize a well developed trolling plan.

5/10 we should show that we are the class of the league. Little trolling from the supporters section. Loud renditions for each and every song. No YSA chants from any section.

6/28, ESC organizes a trolling away tour that squeezes lemon onto fresh wounds on home turf. Gloves, tifo, and vets throughout the RBNY sequestered area.

With that said, there are going to be fans that take this, "rivalry" too seriously. There will be fights. I hope we don't start them. Class is our winning strategy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The rivalry won't be that bad, yet. NYCFC hasn't been playing well at all, I don't think anyone from our side would start something with a team that's shitty. There's no history there, and no danger of us loosing, so it wouldn't make sense for a fight to come from us.

All we need to do is spread the word around that we need to be the classiest fans ever for this match up, make them look bad just by showing up.

I totally agree. Initially, I was all about trolling NYCFC. Now, it's clear that we just need to play well and have a classy supporters group in that game to dominate NYCFC. On 6/28, the ESC, GSU, and VA vets who take the trip and tickets should organize a well developed trolling plan.

5/10 we should show that we are the class of the league. Little trolling from the supporters section. Loud renditions for each and every song. No YSA chants from any section.

6/28, ESC organizes a trolling away tour that squeezes lemon onto fresh wounds on home turf. Gloves, tifo, and vets throughout the RBNY sequestered area.

With that said, there are going to be fans that take this, "rivalry" too seriously. There will be fights. I hope we don't start them. Class is our winning strategy.

Too bad you're not going into that 5/10 game still unbeaten.

Osorio

I'd rather troll Red Bull (the company, not the team) rather than NYCFC.

Because at the moment we could troll each other, but it's still a battle of the brands. They just think they're better than us because they don't have Man City's crest and they had someone do a graffiti tag of "THE CLUB". Dudes are delusional.

Agreed. Anything baseball related should be done at Yankee Stadium. Wouldn't make sense at RBA.

Cystm

- Impact acquires goalkeeper Kristian Nicht through transfer

The Montreal Impact announced on Monday that the club has acquired German goalkeeper Kristian Nicht through a transfer with NASL club Indy Eleven.

Nicht, 33, played the majority of his career in the German first and second divisions before making the jump to North America in 2012.

- DC Council clearing way for D.C. United stadium land acquisition

The District of Columbia has allocated $106,579,712 towards the infrastructure improvements and cleanup required on the stadium site. Now that the money is there, the progress on those improvements can actually begin.

-
The Orlando City FC stadium bill becomes just one of the casualties of a fierce Medicaid battle between the House and Senate.

The House of Representatives walk out with three days remaining in the session. A political battle over Medicaid appears to have cost the Lions $30 million that was already approved for the new downtown stadium.

Look at all these fans. Every home game. SMH.

Jones' desire to stay with Revs alters soccer in New England

Jermaine Jones told Comcast SportsNet on Monday that he is seeking a contract extension with the Revolution that would keep him in New England through the 2018 World Cup.

Yes, Jones is seeking the extension. You read that right.

What many thought would be a mere year-and-a-half fling between the Revs and the U.S. Men’s National Team star, instead, may turn into a marriage of nearly five years. Everyone assumed Jones would spend his time in New England, go back to MLS (single-entity system, negotiate with the league) and say, "Send me somewhere else." But no; he wants to stay.

fistpumpbaby.png

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/s...mbia-athletic-complex.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2

New York City FC is looking to build a new stadium on the Columbia University athletic complex in Upper Manhattan.

New York City F. C., owned jointly by royalty from the United Arab Emirates and the Yankees, is considering a move to Columbia University’s Baker Athletics Complex, at the northern tip of Manhattan. N.Y.C.F.C. is playing its inaugural season at Yankee Stadium — an imperfect solution for both teams that will continue until a new stadium is built.

The proposal is to build a new, larger stadium that could be used by the soccer team and Columbia’s football team.

The plan, according to an executive briefed by the soccer club, would be to demolish the 17,000-seat Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium and replace it with a 25,000-seat stadium that could be used by New York City F.C. and Columbia’s Lions. The new stadium could cost $400 million.

That neighborhood is pretty isolated from the rest of the city. And supposedly, parking is scarce.

Dartastic

Not sure who to captain. Gotta decide soon. I was thinking one of the two NYRB players or Altidore. Leaning towards Sasha, as he's who I've got now. I have to make up for my crappy week last week. :/

rWvbZJO.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm captaining BWP

I'm torn between Jozy and BWP myself. Jozy will definitely kill it, but BWP is looking far more dangerous these days than he did to start the season and with two games he's gonna get at least one. Oh the troubles if having more than one good striker in form.

Dartastic

I'm captaining BWP

I'm torn between Jozy and BWP myself. Jozy will definitely kill it, but BWP is looking far more dangerous these days than he did to start the season and with two games he's gonna get at least one. Oh the troubles if having more than one good striker in form.
If I had any extra transfers I'd probably dump Akendele and add BWP. I'm out though. Oh well. I kinda shot myself in the foot by putting in Perez. That was a mistake. Whatever. I'm feeling solid in my back line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom