• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
npXHHj0.jpg

Quite incredible. Beating The Netherlands and Germany back-to-back in their respective countries in the span of a week! Really need to get tickets for the friendly against Guatemala!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Took down FIFA, forced out Blatter, beat the Netherlands in the Netherlands, beat Germany in Germany.

Quite a month for the US. :D

Cystm

Standouts for me today:

Brad Evans was amazing out there today. He really played well defensively and on the attack. That pass to Wood was amazing. The vision and touch.

Bradley is playing god tier football right now. I cannot say enough about what he is bringing to the team in terms of skill, tenacity, and in leadership.

Morris immediately on and playing well as soon as he comes off the bench in every game he's played at this level. Really looking forward to watching him play.

Yedlin made some dumb mistakes, but his speed and ability to get around defenders to cross and to eliminate attacks is just so gooooood.

Mix and Wood obviously.

ZZMitch

Well I am a pretty optimistic guy and I still didn't think we were gunna go into Amsterdam and Cologne and win both games. Wow.

So in the span of a week+...

The senior men's team beat Holland in Amsterdam and Germany in Cologne
The senior women's team beat Australia 3-1
The U23 men's team backdoored their way into a third place finish at the Toulon Tournament
The U20 men's team advanced to the round of 8 in the U20 World Cup
The FBI got Sepp Blatter kicked out of football
John Oliver chugged Bud Light Lime

So yeah...the US basically owns the game at this point

If you would have told me that the US would beat the Netherlands and the Germans I wouldn't have believed you. Definitely feel a lot better about the Gold Cup now.

The team is coming together and doesn't lose their heads when they are down. The first 35 minutes or so weren't great but what a hell of a turn around.

I need me a Mix and Bradley USMNT jersey.

OK. Please explain it to me.

How is it not a dumb statistic -- taking neutral site games out of the picture -- considering we're talking about national teams play, and the ultimate goal of national teams is to win the World Cup, which is almost always going to be a neutral site situation?

How is it not a dumb statistic -- taking neutral site games out of the picture -- considering we're talking about national teams play, and the ultimate goal of national teams is to win the World Cup, which is almost always going to be a neutral site situation?

Do you think it easier or even the same to beat Mexico in Mexico versus beating them in Norway? It doesn't discount wins on a neutral ground it just isn't in the parameters of that statistic. It certainly isn't a dumb stat...very enlightening.

Meier

It's just pointing out that in the 20 years prior to him, we won 6 road games in Europe (and Israel I guess?) compared to the 6 we've won under him in the last 5 years. It's certainly a bit "easier" to win a neutral site game than it is to win an away game. You're far more likely to see a crowd that is much less one-sided in a neutral site game and neither side has a decided advantage as far as knowing the pitch intimately, etc.

shandy706

Never thought I'd see a single day/week/month where the US dominates the sport of Soccer...even if for a moment.

Awesome :)

Edit** Oh, and thanks Facebook !@$!@#!@#!@%$!!

I planned on watching this game tonight without knowing what happened. It pops up on my feed out of nowhere.

Managed to catch the latter part of the second half of the US Germany game during lunch and Wood's goal was awesome, if a bit ugly looking. The initial camera angle initially made it look like it had no chance but the subsequent ones made the goal look like money.

Can't wait to see the ladies take on Sweden on Friday so hopefully our good fortune continues to roll.

mm04

Because beating an opponent in their country is friggin' hard. There's no other sport where home field/court/ice etc matter more than in soccer. It overwhelmingly favors the home team. If you can beat a quality opponent on the road, it bodes well for the team not being intimidated in neutral site tournaments.

Mory Dunz

Managed to catch the latter part of the second half of the US Germany game during lunch and Wood's goal was awesome, if a bit ugly looking. The initial camera angle initially made it look like it had no chance but the subsequent ones made the goal look like money.

Can't wait to see the ladies take on Sweden on Friday so hopefully our good fortune continues to roll.

Ugly? That quick spin leave by Morris made the defender miss the ball, and Wood's turn seemed pretty sleek.

Ugly? That quick spin leave by Morris made the defender miss the ball, and Wood's turn seemed pretty sleek.

I was talking about the ball, not the players lol.

The movement on the ball itself looked like it didn't have enough momentum to go in with the initial camera angle (I actually thought the ball took a weird flop before it went in). When they showed the replay of the goal from other angles, you could tell the ball had more than enough speed going in.

At any rate Klinsy seems to be adjusting much better lately which is good to see. When did Berti Vogts come on? I wonder how much of the current run is due to him being here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom