• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought that was in bad taste.

I believe towards the end of the match German's were chanting USA along with the visiting Americans all while some of our guys were playing a bit chippy too.

Be proud, but be respectful too.

I think things like that will calm down as the US team improves and we're not as shocked at results like this.

Esch

Banned
C8hBGo1.jpg

Cystm

Minus doesn't work on GAF anymore unless you open the image link in a new tab first.

So many OT's broken. Imgur has improved it's image sorting so I have been making the switch over to that.

It's shitty that it's like that and hopefully is something that can be fixed.

Esch

Banned
Minus doesn't work on GAF anymore unless you open the image link in a new tab first.

So many OT's broken. Imgur has improved it's image sorting so I have been making the switch over to that.

It's shitty that it's like that and hopefully is something that can be fixed.

fixed.

i hate images.

Do you think it easier or even the same to beat Mexico in Mexico versus beating them in Norway? It doesn't discount wins on a neutral ground it just isn't in the parameters of that statistic. It certainly isn't a dumb stat...very enlightening.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Interesting you bring up Mexico. So I guess the USMNT should get some sort of special statistical credit for wins vs. Mexico in cities like Dallas, LA, Glendale, or San Antonio? Because those stadiums were all majority pro-Mexico fans. Do those games count more like road games or neutral site?

I was at the games in Dallas in 04, Houston in 08, and this last one in San Antonio. The Dallas game might as well have been in Mexico City. It's gotten better, but these friendlies are still majority Mexico fans.

Because beating an opponent in their country is friggin' hard. There's no other sport where home field/court/ice etc matter more than in soccer. It overwhelmingly favors the home team. If you can beat a quality opponent on the road, it bodes well for the team not being intimidated in neutral site tournaments.

I'm not denying the USMNT is improving and Klinsmann is doing a good job. I just still think it's a dumb statistic when you arbitrarily remove neutral site games. Why remove those neutral site games from the stat at all? Because when you are removing neutral site games, you are removing the most likely scenario your national team is going to play the World Cup. And if the purpose of citing a statistic is to try to show a trend or predict future results, it seems you'd want a data set closest to the end case.

I think this disagreement is kinda silly, and has the potential to be a derail, so I'll leave it at that. I get why some of you disagree, but your arguments aren't really changing my mind, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

GO USA!

I think things like that will calm down as the US team improves and we're not as shocked at results like this.

Beating the world champs will never not be shocking.

Blue Lou

Provisional 35 for the Gold Cup

Goalkeepers
  • Brad Guzan
  • Bill Hamid
  • Nick Rimando
  • William Yarbrough
Defenders
  • Ventura Alvarado
  • Damarcus Beasley
  • Matt Besler
  • John Brooks
  • Timothy Chandler
  • Brad Evans
  • Greg Garza
  • Omar Gonzalez
  • Michael Orozco
  • Tim Ream
  • Brek Shea
  • DeAndre Yedlin
Midfielders
  • Kyle Beckerman
  • Alejandro Bedoya
  • Michael Bradley
  • Joe Corona
  • Brad Davis
  • Mix Diskerud
  • Fabian Johnson
  • Perry Kitchen
  • Alfredo Morales
  • Lee Nguyen
  • Gyasi Zardes
  • Graham Zusi
Forwards
  • Juan Agudelo
  • Jozy Altidore
  • Clint Dempsey
  • Alan Gordon
  • Aron Johannsson
  • Jordan Morris
  • Chris Wondolowski

The other teams can be found here

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I missed it, but was it like our A team vs their B team or something?

We were missing our starting CB's as well as both Dempsey and Altidore. The only part of the squad that was our A-team was the midfield. Neither side was playing at their full strength so no one can use that excuse here or against the Netherlands.

Meier

I missed it, but was it like our A team vs their B team or something?

Germany's midfield and attack was very strong although they did give a first cap to one player (who looked excellent for the most part, Patrick Herrmann). No Neuer, but they have an absurdly strong set of back-up GKs and Ron-Robert Zieler is no slouch (and made some excellent saves today). Their defense would definitely be categorized as a "B team" (maybe more like A-) though as neither Boateng nor Hummels played despite being called up. Replacing Lahm is a long term issue for them. Of those who played, Mustafi is probably the best player though and is a regular call-up at this point and he played a few games during the WC before getting injured.

Mory Dunz

We were missing our starting CB's as well as both Dempsey and Altidore. The only part of the squad that was our A-team was the midfield. Neither side was playing at their full strength so no one can use that excuse here or against the Netherlands.

Eh, we have no idea who our CBs will be. I hope Besler would start but we keep shifting them.

But yeah, Altidore, Dempsey, Bedoya (who's been one of our best players lately), Howard (on leave), Garza (who seems to have an outside back it seems). And yeah, Besler, Gonzo

Stainless

question- do "friendly" matches like this have any impact on rankings? Or is it basically only when it "counts"? I was honestly hoping for us to hold it to a tie or at least just keep it close and competitive.

I was stuck in meetings so I only caught the very end (just in time for the goal).

Did we look good overall, or did we kind of look shit but get off with a good result?

So good.

So, before the two games, we were 27th in the world according to FIFA. With the friendlies, and understanding that they are friendlies, how far up are we expected to move?
FIFA rankings weight 'real' matches much more heavily, so these probably won't move the US that much. There's an exhaustive explanation here. Truth be told, the rankings don't matter much unless you're good enough to possibly get a top seed at the World Cup. Otherwise, they're mostly for dick measuring and supposedly the conference allotment of WC spots.

Many people believe that the Elo ratings are a better measurement. The US is currently #15 there and moved up a few spots with the Germany/Netherlands wins. SPI has the US at 17 right now.

My gut says that something around #20 feels about right, though the US feels a little more volatile than usual. We're very dangerous at the moment, but we leak enough goals that we're probably not as reliable as in the past(?) Just spit-balling...

NH Apache

Banned
FIFA rankings weight 'real' matches much more heavily, so these probably won't move the US that much. There's an exhaustive explanation here. Truth be told, the rankings don't matter much unless you're good enough to possibly get a top seed at the World Cup. Otherwise, they're mostly for dick measuring and supposedly the conference allotment of WC spots.

Many people believe that the Elo ratings are a better measurement. The US is currently #15 there and moved up a few spots with the Germany/Netherlands wins. SPI has the US at 17 right now.

My gut says that something around #20 feels about right, though the US feels a little more volatile than usual. We're very dangerous at the moment, but we leak enough goals that we're probably not as reliable as in the past(?) Just spit-balling...

Awesome. Great info, thanks.

Askani

No official source yet but:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 3m
LRT-Club Leon & Minnesota United agreed on a transfer for Ibarra, but Ibarra’s agent (Chris Megaloudis) says contract still being worked out​

gutshot

We'll probably move higher up in the rankings trouncing the CONCACAF minnows in the Gold Cup then we will after these 2 wins.

No official source yet but:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 3m
LRT-Club Leon & Minnesota United agreed on a transfer for Ibarra, but Ibarra’s agent (Chris Megaloudis) says contract still being worked out​
Sciaretta says it's official now:
Minnesota United formally announce that #usmnt midfielder Migel Ibarra has been officially transferred to Club Leon.

andycapps

Jordan Morris needs to get the fuck out of Stanford and turn pro already. He's wasting his time.

Come at me bruhs

Seems to be doing okay so far? I'm sure if clubs think he's good enough that someone would pick him up, might as well keep doing his thing and getting a good education.

gutshot

Any one know what happened to xbhaskarx? Dude just stopped posting in late April. As an avowed Klinsmann hater, I was curious to hear his thoughts on these most recently friendly results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom