• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

Chicago Fire acquire Toronto FC forward Gilberto off waivers

When asked to elaborate, the source said the total amount of allocation money was at least double the $125,000 that New York City FC paid the Los Angeles Galaxy for the rights to acquire Frank Lampard. With regards to the amount of funds the Fire received, Chicago manager Frank Yallop would only say, "An amount of $100,000 would be good. This was very good."

Montreal what are you doing...

First Laba and now Gilberto. Why does LA get help in retaining their young DPs but we get punished for it?
I'm not getting the comparison... who on LA is the equivalent of Laba and Gilberto in this scenario?

Shame we don't get anything for him. I never did expect we'd have him playing again with us, but I know it'll come back to bite us, as it always does. Robert Earnshaw, anyone?

xbhaskarx

Team of the Week (Wk 21)

TEAMoftheWEEK-2015-21.jpg

Osorio

you guys can do better than SWP, but if there's no DP money involved its not a bad deal i guess

I'd say we need some star power. We have no advertising (for the team, not the drink), no star players, no real draw.

Like I'm about to get tickets to see us play Montreal because Drogba is my favorite African player of all time. We need that kinda pull for one of our players.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd say we need some star power. We have no advertising (for the team, not the drink), no star players, no real draw.

Like I'm about to get tickets to see us play Montreal because Drogba is my favorite African player of all time. We need that kinda pull for one of our players.

Sadly Red Bull isn't going to loosen the purse strings enough to get a real star.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe its a ploy for us to buy more cans...

I want to go to NYC vs. Metro but damn it's 64 bucks for upper deck

You aren't kidding, there's a couple upper deck seats all the way in the back going for $80. I don't even want to look at the resale market.

They're totally trying to juice the team before they sell.

Esch

Banned

Yup, agree total. Having Henry was obviously a huge boost for you guys rep wise. probably wouldn't mind one of:

-Sneijder
-Van Der Vaart
-RVP
-Tevez
-Klose

etc etc coming through?

Osorio

Yup, agree total. Having Henry was obviously a huge boost for you guys rep wise. probably wouldn't mind one of:

-Sneijder
-Van Der Vaart
-RVP
-Tevez
-Klose

etc etc coming through?

Tevez would get me to buy season tickets again. Have so much love for El Apache

Osorio

You aren't kidding, there's a couple upper deck seats all the way in the back going for $80. I don't even want to look at the resale market.

They're totally trying to juice the team before they sell.

I hope so. I'd rock the new jersey for like a month straight if there was a rebrand.

Probably kiss the badge waiting for the bus like a weirdo.

xbhaskarx

Isn't the point to win games? NYRB are fifth in PPG. Okay you could still do better sure. But the four teams currently above you are Dallas, KC, DC, and Vancouver. Not a whole lot of star power there, just well constructed teams.

probably wouldn't mind one of:

-Sneijder
-Van Der Vaart
-RVP
-Tevez
-Klose

etc etc coming through?

Having said that obviously I'd love to see any of these guys in the league lol

What about De Rossi? I thought he was linked to MLS not long ago..
Edit: March 2015
I remember this quote from when Roma came here in 2013:

"I feel great here, as usual. It's a country I love," De Rossi said. "It's a fantastic experience just to live in this country … As far as life, society and organization, for me it's 10 years ahead of Italy and Europe."

Also in addition to Ganso, what about other talent from Brazil, given their financial problems? Pato?

Corinthians president 'prays day and night' he can sell Alexandre Pato

Osorio

Isn't the point to win games? NYRB are fifth in PPG. Okay you could still do better sure. But the four teams currently above you are Dallas, KC, DC, and Vancouver. Not a whole lot of star power there, just well constructed teams.

Sure but in New York you have to do both. Look, if we were Metro I wouldn't give a damn and I'd just be happy to be up there in the standings on a cheap and efficient budget. But if you're going to be owned by a company worth $7.2 billion dollars give me some goddamn star players or change the name to something respectable.

As of now we're doing better than NYC but nobody wants to be confused for an energy drink enthusiast on the subway.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, obviously everyone prefers that our entire league rather be populated by young enthusiastic talent but NY is waging a war of perceptions for all those potential untapped fans and unfortunately it kind of looks like NYCFC is winning on that front since the Pirlo signing, no doubt in part to those star signings. Obviously IDK what it's really like there in the city right now, but that's how it seems from the outside looking in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, obviously everyone prefers that our entire league rather be populated by young enthusiastic talent but NY is waging a war of perceptions for all those potential untapped fans and unfortunately it kind of looks like NYCFC is winning on that front since the Pirlo signing, no doubt in part to those star signings. Obviously IDK what it's really like there in the city right now, but that's how it seems from the outside looking in.

You aren't entirely wrong. The name doesn't help either.

Osorio

The fact that people are willing to put up with that terrible stadium situation with pride tells you how much perception matters in this area. Yankee Stadium is by far the worst place I've ever been to watch soccer yet their lowest attendance this season would be among one of our highest.

I can deal with being the Mets of MLS in the area, but at least the Mets are the METS. Imagine if it was the Yankees vs. the New York Big Macs?

xbhaskarx

Regarding that news earlier that MLS would be on Draft Kings... apparently they're investing in the company:

DraftKings raises $300m in frenzied fantasy sports land-grab

DraftKings was able to reach an exclusive advertising agreement with ESPN. A person familiar with the deal said DraftKings agreed to spend about $250 million on ESPN. The Fox advertising deal is not exclusive, meaning it can still accept ads from FanDuel and Yahoo, Shanks noted.

Legal questions have not kept the biggest names in sports and media from diving into the business. DraftKings’ investors include Major League Baseball, the NHL, and Major League Soccer, while FanDuel’s backers include NBC Sports, Comcast Ventures, and the NBA.

New Money: DraftKings Cements Unicorn Status with FOX

Confirmed: DraftKings Raises $300M Led by Fox Networks

Deal: $300M
Investors: Fox Networks Group, Atlas Ventures, the Raine Group, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer and the Kraft Group.
What they do: Daily fantasy sports
Valuation: $1.2B+, post-money
Total funds raised to date by DraftKings: $375M

I wonder if they even had to put up any money, or if they just get a share in exchange for having Draft Kings be the exclusive daily fantasy company for MLS.

It could be a pretty decent investment for MLS if the daily fantasy industry meets growth expectations...
DraftKings put up $30 million in revenue last year; its chief rival, FanDuel, posted $57 million. Yahoo Sports entered the fray a few weeks ago, ending speculation that it might invest in one of the two leaders. Daily fantasy is expected to generate $2.6 billion in entry fees this year, and grow to $14.4 billion by 2020, according to Eilers Research.

I was hoping Drogba would have ended up on a big market team like Chicago or something, but I guess we'll see what happens. Not sure how Drogba's old bones will handle the cold weather and turf up there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about all these new signings. The original NASL imploded partially because the rapid signing of aging and expensive Euro veterans. Many of these aging stars gave only a token effort yet the teams went broke trying to pay their salaries.

Obviously the MLS is in a much stronger position than the NASL at that point. I think my biggest concern is that these aging veterans will soak up all the money, leaving peanuts for the up and coming players, stunting the growth of our own youth movement. Will either see our promising prospects go overseas or not enough youth players will have the incentive to pursue a pro career.

I'm hoping instead that the influx of aging-stars will help grow the game enough in America so the teams and the league see a big enough revenue spike where they start giving the players a higher percentage of the revenue. Right now the MLS has the lowest revenue share with its players of all the major sports in America. It made sense early on when the league was still a newborn struggling to survive. But the league is at the point where they need to work on improving the quality of the product to develop the league further. This includes paying players more and attracting more players in their prime. It's why the Dos Santos signing is probably my favorite signing of all of these.

I was hoping Drogba would have ended up on a big market team like Chicago or something, but I guess we'll see what happens. Not sure how Drogba's old bones will handle the cold weather and turf up there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about all these new signings. The original NASL imploded partially because the rapid signing of aging and expensive Euro veterans. Many of these aging stars gave only a token effort yet the teams went broke trying to pay their salaries.

Obviously the MLS is in a much stronger position than the NASL at that point. I think my biggest concern is that these aging veterans will soak up all the money, leaving peanuts for the up and coming players, stunting the growth of our own youth movement. Will either see our promising prospects go overseas or not enough youth players will have the incentive to pursue a pro career.

I'm hoping instead that the influx of aging-stars will help grow the game enough in America so the teams and the league see a big enough revenue spike where they start giving the players a higher percentage of the revenue. Right now the MLS has the lowest revenue share with its players of all the major sports in America. It made sense early on when the league was still a newborn struggling to survive. But the league is at the point where they need to work on improving the quality of the product to develop the league further. This includes paying players more and attracting more players in their prime. It's why the Dos Santos signing is probably my favorite signing of all of these.

100000% agree.

Beckham was ok, because he was universally known. Not only that, but he was fully mixed in with the celebrity crowd already with his wife. Perfect fit for LA, and he sold out stadiums wherever he went.

He was 100% unique. Oh, and it also helped that his signature move, scoring from free-kicks, is something you can do as you get older and slower. It doesnt matter if twenty minutes of running tires you out, you can still score the free-kick at minute 90.

Drogba? Lampard? Who? Unless youre a Eurosnob, the names mean nothing. Sure, existing MLS fans might care - but they're going to games anyway. Maybe youll get some casual Chelsea fan to hit a game or too. Maybe. But players like Drogba or Lampard are never going to sell out a stadium. And when theyre 37 it honestly feels more like a friendly circus than a competitive game.

I actually think it hurts the MLS overall, because it says the quality of play is so low that a retired geezer can do well.

On the other hands, players like Cuaotemoc and Giovani Dos Santos work well because while the general public has no idea who they are, the Mexican crowd does. Theyre already sold on soccer, but not necessarily the MLS. Yes, Cuaotemoc was ancient, but he is a legend.

And with Dos Santos, you actually have a player in his prime, so you get the double bonus of name brand AND skill. Dos Santos is by far the best of the DP signings after Beckham. Id put Kaka up there if he came in 2 years earlier when he was still playing with the Brazil team.

xbhaskarx

Herzog Calls 28 Players for College Identification Training Camp

Roster By Position:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Wade Hamilton (Cal Poly; Murrieta, Calif.), Jonathan Klinsmann (Cal; Newport Beach, Calif.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Andrew Tarbell (Clemson; Mandeville, La.).

DEFENDERS (9): Jonathan Campbell (North Carolina; Greensboro, N.C.), Alex Crognale (Maryland; Gahanna, Ohio), Chase Gasper (UCLA; Alexandria, Va.), Tomas Hilliard-Arce (Stanford, Matthews, N.C.), Grant Lillard (Indiana; Hinsdale, Ill.), Jakob Nerwinski (Connecticut; Lawrenceville, N.J.), Chris Odoi-Atsem (Maryland; Mitchellville, Md.), Sam Strong (UCSB; Santa Barbara, Calif.), Brandon Vincent (Stanford; Valencia, Calif.).

MIDFIELDERS (10): Corey Baird (Stanford; Escondido, Calif.). Andrew Brody (Lousiville; Orlando, Fla.), Mael Corboz (Maryland; Green Brook, N.J.), Niko Hansen (New Mexico; Sacramento, Calif.), Ian Harkes (Wake Forest; Fairfax, Va.), Patrick Hodan (Notre Dame; Brookfield, Wisc.), James Moberg (Washington; Winsdor, Calif.), Adam Najem (Akron; Clifton, N.J.), Keegan Rosenberry (Georgetown; Ronks, Pa.), Jake Rozhansky (Virginia; Germantown, Md.).

FORWARDS (5): Michael Gamble (Wake Forest; Columbia, Md.), Connor Maloney (Penn State; Harrisburg, Pa.), Alex Muyl (Georgetown; New York, N.Y.), Paul Salcedo (Cal; Inglewood, Calif.), Mac Steeves (Providence; Needham, Mass.).

Where is Oregon State's Timmy Mueller...

Top Bottom