• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

It's not going up today guys.

Uh huh. You just want us to stop so that you get them all when it does go up today. I see through your cruel game.

ThreeMenandaComicBook-War.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Charizard will be common for sure, it looks like Wario is selling out pretty fast as well (first one sold out for Amazon.ca today) and third sold out for Gamestop the other day.
Well, I'm sure after the first wave of pre-orders, we'll have a better idea of who'll be rare & who'll be common.

I stick by my logic of "the more the general public knows the character, the more common they're likely to be", which is why I'd rather aim for Robin & Lucina first, along with Ness, while waiting on Wario & Pac-Man (despite wanting him to have all 3rd party amiibo).

Shauni

Well, I'm sure after the first wave of pre-orders, we'll have a better idea of who'll be rare & who'll be common.

I stick by my logic of "the more the general public knows the character, the more common they're likely to be", which is why I'd rather aim for Robin & Lucina first, along with Ness, while waiting on Wario & Pac-Man (despite wanting him to have all 3rd party amiibo).

Yeah, I think that's been a good general rule of thumb. Some have gotten phased out over time slowly (such as Fox, Samus, and Diddy Kong), but just about any character that's well known or from a well known franchise I think is pretty safe to assume will be easy to get at some point.

This is barring retailer exclusives, anyway. Those are just a mess no matter what character we're talking about.

I still can't believe that Toys r Us has wiped any evidence that Wave 4 exists off of their website.

I wonder if these retailers are even going to want to carry Amiibo going forward unless Nintendo fixes this stock situation. The profit margins can't be good enough for this much trouble could they?

Glix

I still can't believe that Toys r Us has wiped any evidence that Wave 4 exists off of their website.

I wonder if these retailers are even going to want to carry Amiibo going forward unless Nintendo fixes this stock situation. The profit margins can't be good enough for this much trouble could they?

It gets people in the store/on the website...

They probably LOVE it. The rank and file employees must HATE it tho.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I think that's been a good general rule of thumb. Some have gotten phased out over time slowly (such as Fox, Samus, and Diddy Kong), but just about any character that's well known or from a well known franchise I think is pretty safe to assume will be easy to get at some point.

This is barring retailer exclusives, anyway. Those are just a mess no matter what character we're talking about.
I'm actually kind of surprised Sheik isn't that hard to find now. But I guess being from Zelda, one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, probably helped....and introduced in OoT as well. Maybe this means Ganondorf will be considered a common as well, or uncommon at the least.

Dark Pit & Palutena are going to be frustrating considering Pit was hard enough to find, & he was the main character.

I would love if Nintendo made a three-pack of Duck Hunt, ROB, & Mr. Game & Watch and called it the Retro Character pack.

Cappa

Banned

So what trouble are retailers having exactly besides not being able to meet demand which is Nintendo's doing, not theirs?

It gets people in the store/on the website...

They probably LOVE it. The rank and file employees must HATE it tho.
If the people are buying more than Amiibo then definitely but I still wonder.
So what trouble are retailers having exactly besides not being able to meet demand which is Nintendo's doing, not theirs?
The impact of having their sites and customer service tied up by people searching for products that they don't have and have no control over getting more. Gamestop had to have lost money from the costs of having their site down online and in-store for most of an afternoon plus the cost associated with restoring it.

Nia

I just got out from preordering Splatoon and I spoke to the Gamestop employee I've known for a while about the Amiibo situation. She said her manager is tripping over himself trying to answer calls from people complaining about the website exploding. This whole situation is a gigantic mess. I think I'm going to go international again.

Toki767

I just got out from preordering Splatoon and I spoke to the Gamestop employee I've known for a while about the Amiibo situation. She said her manager is tripping over himself trying to answer calls from people complaining about the website exploding. This whole situation is a gigantic mess. I think I'm going to go international again.

It's not the last time this stuff is going to happen. Most of the characters left are niche enough to where they almost have to be retailer exclusive in the US.

VICI0US

hey Nintendo, make more goddamn Amiibos you fucks

sadly it appears to be getting WORSE, not better, with later waves.

I picked up WFT and Marth on day 1 several hours after the store had opened.

Casually grabbed a villager when I went out on black friday hours after the rush had died down.

Shulk was available to pre-order for weeks..

nowadays if you're not F5ing a product page for its 5 minutes of availability (which will most likely be sometime around 2 in the morning) you're basically SoL.

Neoxon

Should I shave for a bit to kill time, I have a 5-o-clock shadow that looks weird on me (then again, I look like a little kid without it).

CorvoSol

They apparently are, but that's all we know. We haven't been given any further details about a reissue.

Bill Trinen practically laughed about how vague they are about it. "Stay in the loop and don't miss your second chance!"

Yeah, Bill, but my internet connection and I are only human.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We only heard May for Marth via Nintendo Direct. Hopefully this means he might get reprinted with Wave 4 amiibo.

Why was Marth deemed worthy of a re-issue, but not Ike or Villager? I thought it was maybe the Codename S.T.E.A.M. tie-in, but then why not re-issue Ike as well?

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Coming to the realization I will be too afraid of missing AZ pre-orders to leave the house today for too long.
This is seriously making me question getting into this. Haha.

I thought the delay in pre-orders was going to break the bubble.

Like Nintendo was making more or people (scalpers) would lose interest due to suspicion that Nintendo was making more.

Guess not.

This is all awful.

Is the LINE app chat room still closed for new users? A few days ago the guy who was doing the invitees was getting swamped with PM's and closed off new member opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom