• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Minamu

ilikeme said:
I'm playing the demo and I'm at the
thing in the water trying to get the door open where I have to be in the water. I know I have to throw meat into the water and hurry
but I have a ball mouse. It's really hard to turn the crank :(

I played the demos for all three of the games, Penumbra Overture, Black Plague and Amnesia. I liked the Overture and Black Plague demos a lot more. Gonna buy them soon enough when I'm done with my assignments. (I might have liked them more partly because my computer sucks so Amnesia is laggy) :(
I had no idea you were supposed to use
body parts
there. Until afterwards, of course. I used the old HL2 physics "trick" of putting the small boxes in the water next to the crank and then just having a second small box that I lifted over my head, jumped to, repeat :lol I make my own platforms, damnit :)

ilikeme

Haha, yes I realized that too. I just didn't bother the first time because it was so much faster to just run around and jump up before he got to me. :lol I'm so damn impatient, I never think of the slightly slower solutions. And I learned how to turn the crank with my dumb mouse! And well what happens when I get through the door, lol? Ah well.

Frictional Games gets a big thumbs up from me. All of the demos made me want to play the rest of the games. I'll be back when I have!

RedSwirl

Oh man. I'm at the
storage room. Picked up a drill part, heard a scream, continued downstairs without seeing anything, assembled a drill, then ran the fuck back out to the Back Hall.
I gotta go back down there don't I?

Can you at least tell me how far I am through the game?

ArjanN

RedSwirl said:
Oh man. I'm at the
storage room. Picked up a drill part, heard a scream, continued downstairs without seeing anything, assembled a drill, then ran the fuck back out to the Back Hall.

Not very far.

Salaadin

RedSwirl said:
Oh man. I'm at the

:lol

You have to go back :(

I'm just about to enter the Machine Room now. Fuck this game is getting seriously scary. :lol

It does what it does very well. Very well indeed. I wish the narrative was better, but that's my only complaint.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm just about to enter the Machine Room now. Fuck this game is getting seriously scary. :lol

It does what it does very well. Very well indeed. I wish the narrative was better, but that's my only complaint.

Just wait...the majority of awesome, crazy narrative stuff is paced in the latter half. You're getting there.

Minamu

What? The narrative was the best part of the game, by far :S Classmates on facebook have been hyping the scare factor for so long and I just don't see it. I jumped once during those 6+ hours :(

Well so far there's jibberish about
an orb and some evil power. The stuff about that guy slaughtering people and animals is pretty creepy,
but it's hardly a gripping story!

ArjanN

Minamu said:
What? The narrative was the best part of the game, by far :S Classmates on facebook have been hyping the scare factor for so long and I just don't see it. I jumped once during those 6+ hours :(

Umm...no. The best part of the game is definately the atmosphere, the overall story is just OK.

It very rarely goes for cheap jump scares like Doom 3 or Dead Space.

Minamu

ArjanN said:
Umm...no. The best part of the game is definately the atmosphere, the overall story is just OK.

It very rarely goes for cheap jump scares like Doom 3 or Dead Space.
No, instead it abuses meaningless sound effects that almost never have any impact on the game beyond making the player uneasy. I noticed very quickly that most sounds are nothing more than sounds, so I could just go about my business as usual. That's pretty bad, imo. Apart from monsters growling, I bet you could play the entire game with the sound off and be totally fine and that's never a good thing :S I had a great time playing it, but gameplay and atmosphere was definitely the lamest parts, for me. Mouse gestures was really neat though. Could've used some more leniency with where the pointer has to be to accept inputs though.

Minamu said:
No, instead it abuses meaningless sound effects that almost never have any impact on the game beyond making the player uneasy. I noticed very quickly that most sounds are nothing more than sounds, so I could just go about my business as usual. That's pretty bad, imo. Apart from monsters growling, I bet you could play the entire game with the sound off and be totally fine and that's never a good thing :S I had a great time playing it, but gameplay and atmosphere was definitely the lamest parts, for me. Mouse gestures was really neat though. Could've used some more leniency with where the pointer has to be to accept inputs though.

You could probably play the entire game with your display turned off and be totally fine, which is never a good thing for a horror game.

Minamu

wormstrangler said:
You could probably play the entire game with your display turned off and be totally fine, which is never a good thing for a horror game.
Your witty retort would've been funnier if it actually had any merit.

Gart

I think Minamu meant more from a gameplay perspective. Aside from some puzzles, you could probably go through the entire game without sound and not worry about dying, but that would be missing the point.

The game was intentionally designed to limit deaths. And the point of the sounds was to make the player uneasy. It just so happens some people aren't affected by ambient sounds. And I think it's an area where Fictional Games could improve and make an even scarier game. For instance, actually have some of the ambient noise a real threat or immediate scare factor, not cheap boo scares, but just something other than ambient background noise once in a while.

For me, Amnesia "worked" so I'm curious about people, like Minamu, that don't get affected by ambient noise. Is it something you catch on to after getting familiar with the sounds and the game not ever following through with them or is it immediate from playing lots of games and having a good feel for how most games work, or perhaps a little of both?

As for myself, I was always thinking the developers were more devious than they actually were. And in a way, now that I think about it more, the sounds do follow through but more in a subtle and mysterious kind of way. For example the footsteps of the creaking wood. You hear them, you look around and nothing is there, you feel a bit uneasy. You hear them again and realize they are coming from above. Sometime later you see a hole above and when you get close some rocks fall. In that same room, out of fear, you go the opposite direction of where the rocks fell and when you get to the end of the hallway the monster appears at the opposite end just standing there. I believe this was the intention of how the developers wanted the mindset of the player to be in and how to play.

Some people just don't make those connections of the above example, or they don't notice the sounds or navigate out of order.

There is another part similar in the Archives I think it was, and I think a lot of people miss, myself included, where you see the monster walk towards your only exit out. The intended path I think was to go the opposite direction until you reach the fallen rumble and can't go any further. When you get there the monster appears right behind you and disappears a foot in front of you.

It's interesting to watch various people play through this game and see what they react to what they don't react to and what they miss or find. Fictional Games could probably benefit a lot from watching those.

My first time playing the game, so I've been mostly avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers.

But I just finished the water part last night, and afterward I turned off the game so I could calm down :lol So awesome.

Minamu

Gart: Thank you :) I was really surprised by the cool voice-actors and the narrative overall. It was the best part for me since I felt like the atmosphere wasn't all that great and the gameplay just wasn't varied enough. It wasn't tedious or anything, there just wasn't a whole lot to it. The fear factor was a bit overhyped with several people in my vinicity calling it the scariest piece of horror ever created and I was just like "are you guys serious? It can't be that awesome o_O" and it just wasn't. I might've gone in with a less-than-perfect perspective because of that. It was relatively hard to get immersed and I went in from a skeptic's angle.

Your examples sound pretty damn neat, I just never made those connections while playing :)

Last night I reached the
prison,
took a few steps forward, unblocked the door, walked in to the darkness, heard a fuckloads of screams and instantly quit because I knew it would be too much for me and I needed a break. :lol

I'm finding that if played for 10-15 minutes I view it as just a creepy adventure game, but the longer I play the more it gets to me. Last night I had been playing for about 45 minutes and I was just too on edge to dare go further.

Tonight, I'll continue and it will be okay, but as I progress my stress levels will rise until I have a heart attack or stop for the night.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Foliorum Viridum said:
Last night I reached the
prison,
took a few steps forward, unblocked the door, walked in to the darkness, heard a fuckloads of screams and instantly quit because I knew it would be too much for me and I needed a break. :lol

I'm finding that if played for 10-15 minutes I view it as just a creepy adventure game, but the longer I play the more it gets to me. Last night I had been playing for about 45 minutes and I was just too on edge to dare go further.

Tonight, I'll continue and it will be okay, but as I progress my stress levels will rise until I have a heart attack or stop for the night.
It's like you have a real world connection to the sanity meter :lol

Salaadin

I just passed the
Kitchen and Storage areas where you have to gather the acid and spread it on a lock to get through. There were so many monsters down there. I was on edge the entire time.

Everdred

My Raptr.com status:
amnesia.jpg

Calm nerves, my ass.

WARP10CK

Banned
Everdred said:
My Raptr.com status:
amnesia.jpg

Calm nerves, my ass.

Yeah raptr said the same on my profile as well and calm nerves is something this game never intended to do ,if so then the developers really screwed up :)

I was in the control room and was doing the pipe puzzle and one of the pieces went through the wall and now I cant find that piece to continue the game. :(((

Anyway to restore that piece besides restarting the game from the beginning?

clip

Labombadog said:
I was in the control room and was doing the pipe puzzle and one of the pieces went through the wall and now I cant find that piece to continue the game. :(((

Anyway to restore that piece besides restarting the game from the beginning?

Don't you have more recent autosaves or quicksaves?

I'm not sure I remember that exact part, could you take a screenshot?

Minamu

The game should keep a pretty extensive list of autosaves for you actually. Shouldn't be much of a problem. I was surprised when I saw the load game menu being filled to the brim with saves :lol

Hey guys,
I was playing this on my laptop but I just recently upgraded my pc so I want to switch over to finishing the game on that. Can I just move my save file over?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
On my laptop, I have Intel HD. From what I've been reading, I'm screwed on playing this game, right?

Minamu said:
The game should keep a pretty extensive list of autosaves for you actually. Shouldn't be much of a problem. I was surprised when I saw the load game menu being filled to the brim with saves :lol
Thanks for the reply. I will look for these files. Where are they located?

Thanks to the others who replied as well. :)

Minamu

Labombadog said:
Thanks for the reply. I will look for these files. Where are they located?

Thanks to the others who replied as well. :)
Not sure about where the folder is located but I'm pretty sure I saw them via the load game menu inside the game.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Last night I reached the
prison,

So, this was the last time I played, and tonight I continued for about an hour and a half straight.

In time that time I went from the
prison
all the way to the point where I was told I need to put together another
orb

Holy fuck. So many screams. :lol The tension was ridiculous. Thankfully these sequences were broken up by some elaborate puzzles, which is really good design.

Seriously loving this experience.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I think, out of everything I experienced in this game, the
brass bull
might be my favorite. I had been playing for an hour straight by that point, I was a jittery mess. Then when I entered that room I almost thought the devs were being cute. I mean, I had been running around in these
torture chambers, reading about men being sawed from their crotch to their gut. Not to mention no-jaw up in the main area. Grisly shit. And here's this dumb animal with a pipe in its mouth.
Then I got an account of what it had been used for - not so cute. So I
opened it up, looked inside, lit the fire underneath
and ... wow.

Definitely not cute. Amnesia has no mercy.

Just finished it. I assume I got the good ending, because I
saved the dude and lobbed his head into the portal.
I'll watch the other endings on Youtube in a bit, but overall I have to say it was a pretty weak ending. Especially since I'll take back what I said about the narrative as I really got into it towards the end, probably due to the accounts of fucking brutal torture I witnessed. :lol

Wonderful, wonderful game. I've had the Penumbra ones sat on my Steam for ages and could never get around to touching them. I don't know why I decided to buy and play this, but I'm glad I did. I'll definitely go back to Penumbra in a bit, so look forward to me bumping those threads or making a LTTP. :D

One of my favourite games of the year. Unrelenting, but brilliant because of it.

Big Chungus

Anyone else feel sick when they play this game?

My stomach started to hurt a lot after the water stage...I don't think it's motion sickness since I always play FPS games and don't feel sick.

Maybe it's just stress :S

fna84 said:
Anyone else feel sick when they play this game?

My stomach started to hurt a lot after the water stage...I don't think it's motion sickness since I always play FPS games and don't feel sick.

Maybe it's just stress :S

I start to feel stressed out of my mind and it does seem to take a physical toll.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I think, out of everything I experienced in this game, the
brass bull
might be my favorite. I had been playing for an hour straight by that point, I was a jittery mess. Then when I entered that room I almost thought the devs were being cute. I mean, I had been running around in these
torture chambers, reading about men being sawed from their crotch to their gut. Not to mention no-jaw up in the main area. Grisly shit. And here's this dumb animal with a pipe in its mouth.
Then I got an account of what it had been used for - not so cute. So I
opened it up, looked inside, lit the fire underneath
and ... wow.

Definitely not cute. Amnesia has no mercy.

Yeah that part was truly terrifying.

The one moment in the game where I actually screamed and I mean screamed like I was about to take a shower and opened up the curtains to see Shelob kicking it in there was when you
throw the stone to distract one of the monsters and seemingly slip by him unnoticed and when you go to open the door you hear him running up behind you. As I turned to shut the door and realized he was right up on my ass I felt true terror.

Minamu

Any tech savvy people here? :) I'm trying to get this game to start on my mom's laptop (Celeron with mobile intel 4 series express chipset family). It booted a week ago or so, but today, I get a fatal error because the renderer #0 could not be initialized. Drivers are up to date and the files are verified and defragged. Any ideas?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Agent Icebeezy said:
On my laptop, I have Intel HD. From what I've been reading, I'm screwed on playing this game, right?
Yeah, sucks huh? I just got a new PC recently with an Intel HD Graphics card and was shocked this game doesn't support it when my 2006-era machine ran it no trouble. Ended up getting a new graphics card to play it. :/

RedSwirl

After finishing the storage area I had to take a break... ironically to play Dead Space. I might come back after I get my hands on some Astro headphones.

Now I keep imaging how incredible Dead Space would be like if it were more like this game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
afternoon delight said:
Less than 7$ on Steam. Comparisons to Silent Hill 2 heights of terror means I'm soooooold.

I bought it last night and will play it once I'm done with STALKER: CoP. After watching some reviews, Amnesia looks like one of the best horror games in some time.

Clevinger

ninj4junpei said:
I was disappointed that they didn't explain
where the creatures came from, or if they did I missed it. I kept expecting to see one of the dead bodies start transforming into one or something.

They did.
In one of Alexander's notes, I think when he's talking about the fungi deaths, he talks about how he has to make more of them since a bunch were dying.

The endings sucked, though. But given that they likely didn't have enough money to do much more, I can understand.

Top Bottom