• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Druz

SovanJedi said:
Yeah, sucks huh? I just got a new PC recently with an Intel HD Graphics card and was shocked this game doesn't support it when my 2006-era machine ran it no trouble. Ended up getting a new graphics card to play it. :/

Intel HD isn't a graphics card. Its integrated video so you can watch movies and play lite flash games.

slewis7

Agent Icebeezy said:
On my laptop, I have Intel HD. From what I've been reading, I'm screwed on playing this game, right?

I have the same type hardware and it gets an error on startup on my laptop. I don't play a lot of PC games, but this is the first one that I had issues with, I am hoping that they will release an update to address this problem.

Played a few minutes of this. I think that's enough.

In all seriousness I was intrigued by the hype but wasn't prepared for the impressive camera work during gameplay, such as the slow zoom and twist to emulate a waning grip on reality and the character suddenly collapsing on the floor and slowly forcing the camera 360 degrees in a fully paranoid fashion.

FUCK. I feel like I could play this 3 to 5 minutes at a time and still feel fully immersed.

Dascu

-COOLIO- said:
im stuck in the room where the
barrel falls on me
. wat do?
Is that the one where the door is blocked by wooden beams and some rocks? If so, you can just grab those and move/push them out of the day. There's also another room (might actually be the one you're in) where there's a trapdoor of sorts. If that's where you are, you should be able to hit a switch on the ceiling with a rock to open the trapdoor.

Minamu

slewis7 said:
I have the same type hardware and it gets an error on startup on my laptop. I don't play a lot of PC games, but this is the first one that I had issues with, I am hoping that they will release an update to address this problem.
Is it the same error I mentioned on the previous page, about renderer #0 not being able to initialize? Would love it if that was fixed, otherwise I bought yet another game for xmas for my parents that won't work :lol >_<

Just played with two friends (also playing Amneisa). Made it past the part where you start the steam engine...FUUUUCK. Died twice and then I think the game had pity, because the monster spawn behind me :lol

KaYotiX

Banned
Sounds like I really need to try this game :D I hate that I missed so many games on the steam sale because I was on vacation :p

I'm really not sure if I enjoy the stress this game brings out of me.

I love the no-combat design. I love the dead simple physics. The game looks good, has absolutely wonderful sound design. The dark and light mechanics work perfectly. Everything is great.

But it's so damned stressful.

Oh, one other thing:

I didn't realise this was an openGL game until reading through this thread a bit more.

I have AA and AF forced through the driver on my ATI card for another game and I have the settings maxed in the Amnesia game setup including AF and SSAO.

Is that combination optimal from a IQ point of view? Should I disable the driver settings and just run with SSAO? Does the driver AA and SSAO accomplish complimentary things?

slewis7

Minamu said:
Is it the same error I mentioned on the previous page, about renderer #0 not being able to initialize? Would love it if that was fixed, otherwise I bought yet another game for xmas for my parents that won't work :lol >_<

Yep, same error.

Flunkie

Banned
Yep, nothing has ever scared the shit out of me like this game did. Just got to the
water
part. Holy fucking shit.

Game was referenced in a comic i read sometimes, pretty good, on a number of levels :)

LINK

electristan said:
Game was referenced in a comic i read sometimes, pretty good, on a number of levels :)

Noooo, thar be spoilers. Someone already posted it (5 posts above yours) and edited it out. Sad smiley.

And it's way too long for such a simple jab at the "typical american" gamer. Big buildup, little payoff.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Wow. I really hope that comic hasn't spoiled a whole bunch of shit for me.

Apparently, it has.

Hylian7

I've started playing this and have a technical question about the game. Why is the framerate capped at something lower than 60 when you have Vsync on? I turned off but got a lot of screen tearing, so I ended up turning back on. Is there any way to have this thing running at 60+FPS with Vsync?

epmode

Hylian7 said:
I've started playing this and have a technical question about the game. Why is the framerate capped at something lower than 60 when you have Vsync on? I turned off but got a lot of screen tearing, so I ended up turning back on. Is there any way to have this thing running at 60+FPS with Vsync?
Of course, just have a computer that can handle a steady 60 FPS.

Maybe you should try using D3D Overrider (Nvidia only) instead of the in-game option? Or maybe your computer can't quite make a stable 60.

Salaadin

epmode said:

Maybe you should try using D3D Overrider (Nvidia only) instead of the in-game option? Or maybe your computer can't quite make a stable 60.
d3doverrider works for ati cards too. At least it does for my 5850.

For performance, theres one setting that kills my fps..i think its SSAO. Turned that down some and use d3doverrider for vsync and i mostly get 60 fps.

Edit: vsync will cap you at your monitors refresh rate so if your monitor is only 60, your in game fps won't go above that.

Hylian7

epmode said:

I have a hard time believing though that Vsync is the difference between 60 and 30 though, or maybe it is for just this game. For other games it isn't though.

JoeBoy101

Hylian7 said:
I have a hard time believing though that Vsync is the difference between 60 and 30 though, or maybe it is for just this game. For other games it isn't though.

*coughDeadSpacecough*

Salaadin

Hylian7 said:

When I used to use the in game Vysnc for Just Cause 2, it would bounce to 30 or 60...never in between. I was either running at 60FPS and when it couldnt do that, it bounced down to 30.

The first thing Id try if I were you would be disabling the in game Vysnc. Then, follow brain_stews advice in the OP of THIS THREAD to get d3doverrider running. I find that d3doverrider handles Vysnc better than most in game options anyways.

Hylian7

Salaadin said:
When I used to use the in game Vysnc for Just Cause 2, it would bounce to 30 or 60...never in between. I was either running at 60FPS and when it couldnt do that, it bounced down to 30.

The first thing Id try if I were you would be disabling the in game Vysnc. Then, follow brain_stews advice in the OP of THIS THREAD to get d3doverrider running. I find that d3doverrider handles Vysnc better than most in game options anyways.
Interesting, I hadn't looked into D3DOverrider, let me see how the game runs now.

kharma45 said:
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2011/01/four-months-after-amnesias-release.html

Amnesia has now sold over 200k copies, twice what their "dream estimate" was :D Totally deserved it, hell, deserves so much more.

Absolutely deserved. I loved this game so much. Scariest part by far still for me was when you
had to sneak past one of the creatures in the sewer and thought you were safe only to have him come barreling up behind you. The open / close door mechanics are brilliantly sadistic.

Ihya

Great game, shame it is so short. Oozes atmosphere with every step. Brave decision not to have any weapon. For a game to be scary the protagonist needs to be weak and vulnerable, not a bad ass (SH 2 & 3 vs the shite that was 4). Hopefully a sequel is in the work with bigger production values but the exact same gameplay philosophy.

epmode

Hylian7 said:
That's how traditional vsync works though. Possible framerates when running at traditonal vsync (with a 60hz monitor): 60, 30, 15, 7.5, etc.

Vsync + triple buffering allows for more variation.

D23

damn i tried playing this just now.. 4 am. lights off with my headphone . i made it to the entrance hall and couldnt stomach it anymore. im sweating right now.. wow this game

MNC

Not sure if this is possible... In the beginning part with the chemicals, I got 3 chemicals and the stairs collapsed... But I need 4 chemicals. Amidoinitrite or did the game glitch on me and I can't return now?

Dascu

MNC said:
Not sure if this is possible... In the beginning part with the chemicals, I got 3 chemicals and the stairs collapsed... But I need 4 chemicals. Amidoinitrite or did the game glitch on me and I can't return now?
Hmm, I thought you only needed 3 chemicals plus a chemistry pot. Regardless, you can climb back up the stairs by placing some boxes to jump on.

slewis7

Anyone (like me) who can't get Amnesia running using Intel HD Graphics may want to check out the following thread:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-6340.html

The thread is titled "Intel Integrated Graphics - How to Pester Intel" and discusses just that. IThe thread also includes a Youtube link by one of the developers where they show the game running on integrated graphics using Linux. Perhaps bugging Intel may get a fixed driver for Windows out sooner.

Yeef

MNC said:
Nope. Same thing happened to me; it's supposed to happen.
There's a wooden plank right near the stairs that you can prop up on one of the poles and climb up that way.

Shawsie64 said:
Watched this video, dunno if been posted before..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

SOOOOO GOOD hahahahaha
I've seen this video (and others like it) and I just don't get it. I don't understand how or why anyone would play this game while talking on mumble/vent/teamspeak. It'd completely ruin the atmosphere for me. What's even more shocking is that they still find it creepy somehow when they've got like 40 people talking to them.

Lights out, headphones, completely alone is the only way to play.

Somebody was telling me about this game. Sounds pretty darn good. I wish I would have gotten it during the Steam sale...it's been awhile since a game has actually scared me. I especially like the fact that your character doesn't have a weapon. There's something about having a shotgun or SMG or a rocket launcher or whatever that makes any situation much less scary.

Enco

My god is this game stressful.

Just tried the demo and the water part had me shitting bricks. Trying to open the door and run in before the thing catches up was crazy.

Downloaded the demo. My goodness. Couldn't even finish that. It really is pretty brilliant, but I don't know if I would ever be able to play through the game.

I hate being followed and I hate and I hate being chased. Add to that being utterly helpless...

So good. So good that I don't think I have it in me to play through. Heh.

WEGGLES

Had a nightmare due to this game.

I just arrived at the
prison
. not sure exactly what to do at this part though.

Top Bottom