• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Goodman addresses ethics in journalism and the 1st amendment at courthouse stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
After the North Carolina Judge dismissed both misdemeanor charges, trespassing and rioting against Democracy Now's Amy Goodman, her team addresses the Dakota Pipeline protestors supporting Goodman.

In her speech, she addresses freedom of the press as the State Attorney tried to suppress media coverage of the the protests and the violence that the security team engaged upon.

She also mentions the importance of grassroots reporting, with how her coverage of the pipeline went viral trickled up to mainstream media, which has neglected to cover the biggest unification of Native Americans in decades. The importance of regaining and opening up the media and to give voice to everybody.

The important role of the journalist is to go where the silence is

She addresses the crowd at the 3 minute mark. I hope you make the time to listen to her words.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really hoped this would get more traction but it barely makes a blip. Mainstream media just don't care with the Trump crazy train going strong. This was especially glaring all things considered, just trying to throw charges at her like that.

commedieu

Banned
ND is going after another reporter too. They have lost their fucking minds.

It's not over for her either. The a tourney general still wants to punish her to show media a lesson.

Kayhan

I really hoped this would get more traction but it barely makes a blip. Mainstream media just don't care with the Trump crazy train going strong. This was especially glaring all things considered, just trying to throw charges at her like that.

Yeah I am surprised this isn't a bigger story.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Yeah I am surprised this isn't a bigger story.
just a thought maybe its cause she is technically competing against them? I know it shouldnt matter, journalism is journalism.

Oh she got the charges dropped? Great to hear.
no way the charges were going to stick. its in the first fucking amendment.

Derwind

Amy Goodman is absolutely amazing, I sometimes forget how essential journalism is in our lives, it's that bit of light that illuminates the dark for us.

ND is going after another reporter too. They have lost their fucking minds.

It's not over for her either. The a tourney general still wants to punish her to show media a lesson.

Seriously, the attorney general really needs to step down once this is all said and done, absolutely unfit to serve.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I can't believe the the DA won't get disbarred for such violations of civil liberty.

The whole Democracy Now! team does such a good job at almost single handily pick up the slack for visual media and doing serious and critical coverage of world events. Death of real journalism is one of the scariest prospects of my lifetime, since it has been on the brink of extinction since forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom