• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iph

Banned
He refuses to make a ball point pen thread. Fucking puritan. ;)

Yeah, what a bagel! I need to use ballpoint at my work- they can be very reliable, precise and mess-free with a good one. Maybe I'll make a "normal pen" thread for the likes of my space and zebra pens! :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, what a bagel! I need to use ballpoint at my work- they can be very reliable, precise and mess-free with a good one. Maybe I'll make a "normal pen" thread for the likes of my space and zebra pens! :p

That would actually be great!

Iph

Banned
Okay, I want to make one that is at least a worthy comparison to yours and I'm prepping for several big exams over the next month and a half- so you won't see it right away but I'll get to it! :3

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Okay, I want to make one that is at least a worthy comparison to yours and I'm prepping for several big exams over the next month and a half- so you won't see it right away but I'll get to it! :3

I'm happy to help, but I don't have many ballpoint pens! But if you want some cartoons, and you want some Bagelized writing, I'm all over it,

<3

Sera O

Banned
I went to the post office to pick a package up today and got some awesome stuff!
kV94Ay0.png

I will be sharing with my sister so we were able to split the cost. I went for lunch with her today, and we were so relieved when we opened the box and saw that the bottles were gorgeous, and nothing had happened in transit.

Suddenly, I have more than triple the colours than before. This is awesome.

ps - Bagels, wishing you the best and I hope things get easier for you soon.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I am a sucker for pretty bottle, and those look nice :) Ink so nice too...

What happened to Bagels?

Edit: n/m saw the thread. Take care of yourself Bagels. Your threads are awesome.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I went to the post office to pick a package up today and got some awesome stuff!

I will be sharing with my sister so we were able to split the cost. I went for lunch with her today, and we were so relieved when we opened the box and saw that the bottles were gorgeous, and nothing had happened in transit.

Suddenly, I have more than triple the colours than before. This is awesome.

ps - Bagels, wishing you the best and I hope things get easier for you soon.

Thinking about buying that ink, is it any better than lamy ink?

Sera O

Banned
I am a sucker for pretty bottle, and those look nice :) Ink so nice too...

They are very nice-looking and with the red inks there is this stained-glass effect. Add some fancy toppers and it would look like a perfume counter! Swankay.

I've only used the Lamy starter cartridge that came with my Safari, and I don't remember it too well because the colour was kind of boring - I hope someone with Lamy as a point of reference can give you an opinion.

The draw of Pilot Iroshizuku inks is that they are safe, have great colours, and just work well in general. The frequency of people having complaints about them seems low as compared to other inks. They flow easily, don't dry too fast on the nib, have good colour saturation but are less staining (helpful for clear pens), don't go to hell on cheaper paper, dry in a reasonable time frame, and are nicely lubricated. A couple of my pens can be picky about ink, and some less-lubricated inks make fine nibs feel scratchy, so all this sounded good to me.

The drawback of Iroshizuku is that it's literally the most expensive fountain pen ink I've ever seen. . . and not by a small margin. The best deal I found was on amazon marketplace - $20 per 50ml with free (slowish) shipping from Japan by Santatrading. That undercuts most N.A. vendors by $10. Cost by volume is near double its nearest competitor.

Given how long it takes me to finish a bottle of ink, I figured I'd give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. They are a real pleasure to write with so far and even managed to make my scratchy dip pen feel pretty good.

My next ranked are the Diamine inks I've gotten samples of. They come in a huge array of shades and also seem to behave very well with my pens. Noodler's is pretty good too, especially for something like calligraphy practice or artwork - great colour saturation. Both Diamine and Noodler's are very reasonably priced.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful for specific comparisons with Lamy, though :)

Sera O

Banned

Oh one more thing: if you are in the US and just want to test some ink out, you have that option. Goulet pens sells 2ml ink sample vials online.

They have a huge selection and you can get individual samples or pre-selected sample packs. 2ml is enough for a couple of pen fills in most cases, so that's a good option if you want to see how well you and your pen get along with it, particularly for more expensive inks or colours you're not sure about.

neojubei

Oh one more thing: if you are in the US and just want to test some ink out, you have that option. Goulet pens sells 2ml ink sample vials online.

They have a huge selection and you can get individual samples or pre-selected sample packs. 2ml is enough for a couple of pen fills in most cases, so that's a good option if you want to see how well you and your pen get along with it, particularly for more expensive inks or colours you're not sure about.

Thanks for the heads up. on a side note, i bought yet another fountain pen.

wow that place also sells wax seals, i am in love.

tr4656

Oh cool, I didn't know they sold 2ml samples. Time to try some new ink out.

joshschw

They are very nice-looking and with the red inks there is this stained-glass effect. Add some fancy toppers and it would look like a perfume counter! Swankay.

I've only used the Lamy starter cartridge that came with my Safari, and I don't remember it too well because the colour was kind of boring - I hope someone with Lamy as a point of reference can give you an opinion.

The draw of Pilot Iroshizuku inks is that they are safe, have great colours, and just work well in general. The frequency of people having complaints about them seems low as compared to other inks. They flow easily, don't dry too fast on the nib, have good colour saturation but are less staining (helpful for clear pens), don't go to hell on cheaper paper, dry in a reasonable time frame, and are nicely lubricated. A couple of my pens can be picky about ink, and some less-lubricated inks make fine nibs feel scratchy, so all this sounded good to me.

The drawback of Iroshizuku is that it's literally the most expensive fountain pen ink I've ever seen. . . and not by a small margin. The best deal I found was on amazon marketplace - $20 per 50ml with free (slowish) shipping from Japan by Santatrading. That undercuts most N.A. vendors by $10. Cost by volume is near double its nearest competitor.

Given how long it takes me to finish a bottle of ink, I figured I'd give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. They are a real pleasure to write with so far and even managed to make my scratchy dip pen feel pretty good.

My next ranked are the Diamine inks I've gotten samples of. They come in a huge array of shades and also seem to behave very well with my pens. Noodler's is pretty good too, especially for something like calligraphy practice or artwork - great colour saturation. Both Diamine and Noodler's are very reasonably priced.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful for specific comparisons with Lamy, though :)

I have one pen inked in a blueish one of these inks and it is beautiful. Stunning ink, it is crazy expensive, like you said though :)

Sera O

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. on a side note, i bought yet another fountain pen.

wow that place also sells wax seals, i am in love.

Oh cool, I didn't know they sold 2ml samples. Time to try some new ink out.

If I lived in the states I'd be in trouble - that store is dangerous!

So guys, Lamy Dialog 3 or Montegrappa Fortuna Skull?

As a metal-head I want to like the skull one more. It's a lot for a steel nib cart/converter pen though, and the cap is kind of. . . bulbous. Are Montegrappas amazing? I think I'd like it more if it were more stupid -> crazy -> circling back to slightly awesome-looking like the Sylvester Stallone one. It's a 'go big or go home' situation. Time to begin the search for the ultimate pen with a viking metal aesthetic.

The Lamy looks nice - gold nib, does something cool, sweet design, less pricey. It doesn't have matching cufflinks though :p

I have one pen inked in a blueish one of these inks and it is beautiful. Stunning ink, it is crazy expensive, like you said though :)

I'm putting myself on restriction - have to finish a bottle before buying any more from this line. It's such nice ink.

MR4001

I kind of want to get a Vanishing Point. Is it worth the price?

Vanishing Points - or, as I know them, Caplesses - are excellent value for money. They're well-built, the nibs are rather lovely (quite the feat considering their exactingness) and they're very practical.

Some have had flow issues with them, but that isn't suprising considering the tiny nib and feed - I fixed that by using wet Iroshizuku ink and a newer CON-50, the one with the agitator.

mantidor

I can't believe I missed this thread back then I love fountain pens.

Unfortunately as a left handed I had to give up on them, I would require basically amazing, magic ink that dries instantly to not make a whole mess.

How am I finally seeing this thread? Great stuff all around. I bought my father a Mont Blanc fountain pen this past summer and he just loves it. I've never really used them but am seriously thinking of picking one up because of this thread. And I'm definitely exploring getting one for my fiance, who not only loves to write, but writes so beautifully that everyone makes it a point to compliment her. Makes my handwriting look like a 2nd grader...

Sera O

Banned
I kind of want to get a Vanishing Point. Is it worth the price?

I waffled too, but then I tried one. Like MR4001 says, it's a very high quality daily use, no fuss pen. But be aware that the nib is always aligned with the clip. If you have an unconventional pen grip, you may feel it's in the way. The VP is the only pen I automatically hold properly (I hoped it would slowly correct my grip for other pens over time, but nooope).

So, I received a Dilli flex pen in the mail (took a while from India - I ordered it in early November). My crappy writing habits make flexing the nib uncomfortable for me, but I am very glad I finally got to try this type of nib.

6z8nV4W.png

This is a bad example, but at least it shows some line variation!
QkY3wMM.png

It strikes me as a good starter pen for someone who likes to draw: inexpensive, flexible line-width, works ok out of the package unlike the others in the price range, writes like a very smooth F when no pressure is used. It's a piston filler, so no converter is needed in order to use bottled ink. It's made in India and I'm not sure how durable it is, but at that price it won't be heartbreaking if it's dropped or lost.

I got a free Serwex eyedropper fountain pen in the package too that I will probably sacrifice to test out my nib-smoothing mesh. Damn, it's scratchy!

deadbluesky

Neo Member
I waffled too, but then I tried one. Like MR4001 says, it's a very high quality daily use, no fuss pen. But be aware that the nib is always aligned with the clip. If you have an unconventional pen grip, you may feel it's in the way. The VP is the only pen I automatically hold properly (I hoped it would slowly correct my grip for other pens over time, but nooope).

I unlearned - slow and painful - my death grip by using the Lamy Safari. -- But on wooden pencils it is back again. Toddlers muscle memory I guess.

BorkBork

Just got my Lami Safari charcoal with a fine nib, a converter, and a bottle of Lamy blue black to start.

Love the look and feel of the pen. I love the triangular grip, it feels right in my hand. I had wanted something rugged to take around, and this is perfect. I think I prefer writing without the cap on for now, might change later.

Writes really smooth, tested it out on a bunch of papers. Wow, it did not work with cotton paper lol. Good to know.

The ink is lighter than I expected, almost purplish. I like it, but maybe I'll look around for other colours.

jb1234

I haven't had a great deal of luck with fountain pens. Bought one on Bagels's suggestion and when it works, it's great! But more often than not, I use it and no ink comes out... so I turn it around a bit, try again and sometimes ink comes out, sometimes it doesn't. They're certainly not nearly as precise and user-friendly as ballpoint pens.

(Or maybe I just suck at this...)

neojubei

Just got my Lami Safari charcoal with a fine nib, a converter, and a bottle of Lamy blue black to start.

Love the look and feel of the pen. I love the triangular grip, it feels right in my hand. I had wanted something rugged to take around, and this is perfect. I think I prefer writing without the cap on for now, might change later.

Writes really smooth, tested it out on a bunch of papers. Wow, it did not work with cotton paper lol. Good to know.

The ink is lighter than I expected, almost purplish. I like it, but maybe I'll look around for other colours.

Lamy is a great brand. I have 3 Lamy Safari fountain pens.

I haven't had a great deal of luck with fountain pens. Bought one on Bagels's suggestion and when it works, it's great! But more often than not, I use it and no ink comes out... so I turn it around a bit, try again and sometimes ink comes out, sometimes it doesn't. They're certainly not nearly as precise and user-friendly as ballpoint pens.

I keep mine inverted so that gravity is always helping with ink flow. Perhaps you could try that? Haven't had an issue with ink flow since I started doing this but now you mention it I remember how irritating inconsistent/lack of ink flow could be.

Sera O

Banned

I don't think frequent starting problems are part of the normal fountain pen experience. If they are, I've been really lucky! Sometimes after a pen's been sitting for a week, a bit of a scribble may be needed, but I've left mine for longer and had them writing immediately. Some pens are better than others about this.

I wonder if your pen cap is letting air dry out the nib. Are you filling one with ink/cartridges yourself or are you using a disposable type?

StMeph

Just picked up a Montegrappa 300 series fountain pen.

Will fuss over paper and inks after it arrives and properly join the cult hobby.

BorkBork

Been doing some research on paper, found out my moleskines cahiers are shit for bleedthrough. Luckily, I have some notebooks from ecojot, a canadian company with fsc recycled paper that holds up to fountain ink. Perfect!

I can't believe I missed this thread back then I love fountain pens.

Unfortunately as a left handed I had to give up on them, I would require basically amazing, magic ink that dries instantly to not make a whole mess.

Right there with you, I have to awkwardly keep my hand or arm from making any contact with the surface I'm writing on. My Pentel Plumix came in the afternoon and it writes so smoothly...when I force myself to use my right hand. *sighs*

Sera O

Banned
Right there with you, I have to awkwardly keep my hand or arm from making any contact with the surface I'm writing on. My Pentel Plumix came in the afternoon and it writes so smoothly...when I force myself to use my right hand. *sighs*

It's possible to reduce smudging problems, though maybe not to the point where it's convenient for lefties :(. Less saturated, light coloured inks tend to dry faster (black ink can be hard mode). Using a pen that doesn't lay down a lot of ink (F or EF) with as light an ink as you can handle on paper that doesn't let the ink sit on top (i.e. not rhodia or clairefontaine) would be ideal, but that's pretty restrictive.

Some tips from other left handed fountain pen users here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/24249-fountain-pen-and-left-handed/
http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm

It's possible to reduce smudging problems, though maybe not to the point where it's convenient for lefties :(. Less saturated, light coloured inks tend to dry faster (black ink can be hard mode). Using a pen that doesn't lay down a lot of ink (F or EF) with as light an ink as you can handle on paper that doesn't let the ink sit on top (i.e. not rhodia or clairefontaine) would be ideal, but that's pretty restrictive.

Some tips from other left handed fountain pen users here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/24249-fountain-pen-and-left-handed/
http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm

Hard mode for back ink is one way of putting it. Thank you for the links, I really appreciate it! My writing style changes up all the time but I got a kick out of the picture with the guy writing vertically; who knew that could be a remedy to being a lefty with a fountain pen. I'll look into buying some new cartridges with lighter ink color for the my Pilot (I though it was Pentel for whatever reason), most likely hydrangea since it's a lighter shade of blue that looks nice. A finer point would be a good place to start but in the mean time I might as well enjoy playing hard mode with a severe disadvantage.

Sera O

Banned
Hard mode for back ink is one way of putting it. Thank you for the links, I really appreciate it! My writing style changes up all the time but I got a kick out of the picture with the guy writing vertically; who knew that could be a remedy to being a lefty with a fountain pen. I'll look into buying some new cartridges with lighter ink color for the my Pilot (I though it was Pentel for whatever reason), most likely hydrangea since it's a lighter shade of blue that looks nice. A finer point would be a good place to start but in the mean time I might as well enjoy playing hard mode with a severe disadvantage.

No problem; I wish it were easier for left-handed folk - it seems it's a bit of a trial-and-error process to find the right ink and paper combination.

deadbluesky

Neo Member
I found some new notebooks in the mail today.

Two 'Decomposition Books' -- I already like their surface feel and cover art. A tiny one, with snakestones cover print. But most intriguing is the ring binder one:

It is made of danish nautical charts. Very sturdy albeit the paper feels absorbant and soft.

What is your choice of paper/notebook?

MR4001

Rhodia, for the most part. Clairefontaine too, when I can find some. The former is easy to find, OK when it comes to cost and is of a very nice quality; the latter is much the same but - in the styles I prefer - harder to come across.

I've tried some of G Lalo and Original Crown Mill's offerings but I can't for the life of me get on with plain paper... Embarrassing, I know. (Not a fan of laid finishes, either.) No where here stocks any Japanese stationery so I've yet to try any Japanese papers - the ones penpals have used have been very nice. (Reminds me of old paper, paper from the mid-20th century.)

-KRS-

Two 'Decomposition Books' -- I already like their surface feel and cover art. A tiny one, with snakestones cover print. But most intriguing is the ring binder one:

It is made of danish nautical charts. Very sturdy albeit the paper feels absorbant and soft.

Whoa whoa! Is that an NES gamepad pen case?!

deadbluesky

Neo Member
Rhodia, for the most part. Clairefontaine too, when I can find some. The former is easy to find, OK when it comes to cost and is of a very nice quality; the latter is much the same but - in the styles I prefer - harder to come across.

I've tried some of G Lalo and Original Crown Mill's offerings but I can't for the life of me get on with plain paper... Embarrassing, I know. (Not a fan of laid finishes, either.) No where here stocks any Japanese stationery so I've yet to try any Japanese papers - the ones penpals have used have been very nice. (Reminds me of old paper, paper from the mid-20th century.)

Thanks, I put Rhodia on my list. And these Clairefontaine Roadbooks look desirable. -- Japanese notebooks - except from Muji, which are nice to look at, but aren´t very ink friendly - are nowhere to be found 'here' either.

I mostly use laid finishes or dotted ones. -- But my writing seems to hover slightly above those lines.

Looks too small to be a pen case.

It is a small (think NES-controller) tin-box = 'Nintendo Classic Nintendo Controller Mints' by Boston America. The mints are awful, but it is a very nice box. I use it to store ink cartridges and nibs.

Sera O

Banned

I've seen the decomposition books in Chapters before and I wasn't sure how the paper would hold up to ink after feeling the page. Do they work well with FPs? I love the idea of a notebook made of nautical charts. So cool. (That NES controller tin is filling me with envy as well).

I like Rhodia dot pads (I used to use squared, but dot is easier to look at while providing all the structure I need). I also have a black one of this Clairefontaine notebook that I carry everywhere. It's divided into sections with 3 dividers that have pockets on both sides. I keep it full of lists, stamps, tickets to things, ready stationery, commonplaces, etc.

I recently tried G Lalo for letters, and it's quite nice - and doesn't limit you to white. I have a pretty large stock of assorted Korean and Japanese stationery with tooth-ache cute designs. Some of my favorite things were random purchases from Daisou.

deadbluesky

Neo Member
I've seen the decomposition books in Chapters before and I wasn't sure how the paper would hold up to ink after feeling the page. Do they work well with FPs? I love the idea of a notebook made of nautical charts. So cool. (That NES controller tin is filling me with envy as well).

I´d say that the decomposition notebook works rather well with a FP. I write with a fine nib, the dry time is very short, has a nice texture and you can write on both sides -- with a little bit of ghosting(?)/bleeding through.

I like Rhodia dot pads (I used to use squared, but dot is easier to look at while providing all the structure I need). I also have a black one of this Clairefontaine notebook that I carry everywhere. It's divided into sections with 3 dividers that have pockets on both sides. I keep it full of lists, stamps, tickets to things, ready stationery, commonplaces, etc.

Nice! Have you added the dividers yourself, or are they a feature of this notebook?

Sera O

Banned
I´d say that the decomposition notebook works rather well with a FP. I write with a fine nib, the dry time is very short, has a nice texture and you can write on both sides -- with a little bit of ghosting(?)/bleeding through.

I'll have to try one sometime, I like the low key cover design. The simple designs of Life Stationery really appeal to me too, but I haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

Nice! Have you added the dividers yourself, or are they a feature of this notebook?

The dividers are bound into the notebook, so it's all ready to go. Pages are the typical, glass-smooth CF paper, and micro-perforated for removal. The cover is matte cardstock. I've kept it in my bag for a couple of months now and it still looks quite new.

deadbluesky

Neo Member
I'll have to try one sometime, I like the low key cover design. The simple designs of Life Stationery really appeal to me too, but I haven't had a chance to check that out yet.
The dividers are bound into the notebook, so it's all ready to go. Pages are the typical, glass-smooth CF paper, and micro-perforated for removal. The cover is matte cardstock. I've kept it in my bag for a couple of months now and it still looks quite new.

These Life notebooks sure look noble. -- Thanks, I found it online, it is called 'Agebag'.

I am developing an obsession with notebooks; there is already a backlog, but I can´t stop buying. At given time I use four notebooks:

• I use a Leuchtturm1917 daily planner. It is my companion for a year, it´s bulletproof.

• A 'quotebook', a Moleskine Pocket Cahier, not FP-friendly, I write down stuff (random) people say on the bus or train. Mostly funny, sometimes profound words.

• A Leuchtturm1917 A4+ Master. For meetings and such. It´s used very rarely, because of its heft.

• Newly a Decomposition Book, successor of a Moleskine Journal (which wasn´t FP-friendly), used for ideas, small lists and anything else.

Sera O

Banned
These Life notebooks sure look noble. -- Thanks, I found it online, it is called 'Agebag'.

Agebag. that name sounds so dour - I think the sticker on it when I bought it just said 'basic,' because nothing says 'absolutely no joy or romance here' like 'agebag'. lol

Quo Vadis Habana. I like the A4 size and the cream colour paper.

I like that it lies so flat and has somewhat floppy covers. I stay away from nice covers like that though because most of what I produce is not worth keeping (it would be sad to have a beautiful leather-bound copies of my grocery lists).

That said, I really like the modular midori traveler's notebook. I could make refills out of whatever paper I have around. It's expensive and I have no idea what size I would like more, so my wallet is safe for now.

Crazy timing: I got 2 little Life notebooks in my stationery order yesterday. There was a shipping mix-up last time - I wasn't sure if the item just didn't get packed or I was a loser who accidentally recycled it with the box. Happy coincidence: the vendor threw in the notebook I was most interested in checking out as a bonus with my next order.

The paper is NICE. When held up to the light, it has the stripes that you usually see with laid/verge paper, but the actual surface of the sheets is flat and smooth.

Does anyone know how Whitelines do with fountain pens? I just bought a 3 pack on Massdrop.

I'd never heard of this before but looked it up and found this: http://www.gourmetpens.com/2013/02/review-whitelines-link-a5-notebook.html#.UqkYQtJDtc0

It's a pretty interesting idea; I'd like to know what you think of it when you have a chance to try it out.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Hi! I'm back early, and glad to see this thread still going!

The book with the nautical charts...I have never wanted something so bad in my entire life.

The temptation to do a proper paper thread is growing, but I'd want more collaboration - I feel like a bit of a sham. I'm not an artist, I don't own any particularly nice fountain pens, and...well, okay, as a science nerd, I feel like mechanical pencils ARE in my wheelhouse. I hope I make up for depth of knowledge with my goofy enthusiasm and ability to print legibly.

As far as paper goes, I have tried out a fair number of brands and I have a too-large collection of notebooks of all kinds. Instead of a new thread, for now, some not-too-brief thoughts:

That's some of it. The problem is 1) I like to write, obviously and 2) I come from a family of writers (I almost destroyed the only manuscript of my dad's book when I was 2. True story.) and they encourage this lunacy by giving me these things all the time.

Left to right, the small notebooks I burn through. I settled on the small orange Rhodia pads as my schedule/notes/whatever I need to jot down or have available. I have one for addresses, one that has video game crap (what games are on my UMD cards, for example), and I carry one in my pocket for whatever appointments and stuff I needed to remember. I'll use a small reporter-style Moleskine as a wallet sometimes (the current one has a red 'Moxie' sticker on it - I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on replacing a proper wallet, but I've gotten a ton of comments on my new "cool wallet"). On the right, I've kept a journal for ten years (some of it's there. I started with pocket Mead pads, which disintegrate basically as soon as you start using them, used Moleskines, and now I really like the Rhodia Webnotebooks for this. The 'Whitelines' book is interesting (it has a blue morphine dosing sticker on it) - the lines are indeed white, while the paper is slightly gray. I dig it.

Moleskine cahiers are just such shit, but I end up being given them and not really knowing what to use them for. Again, there's a Rhodia version that's way better. I have one for quotes I love and one where I've kept a list of the books I've read since...2005? It's a really neat record. I like seeing what I was into when my son was born, or whenever, and seeing as I get into certain topics. I got the idea from my mom and I really recommend it if you read a lot (you could do the same with games, movies, concerts - this whole thing makes me sound completely neurotic about recording my life. Okay so I am, a bit, but it comes more in waves. I was very faithful to my book list until this year, when I got behind and just stopped. I want to start again, because the record is so fun to have. The journal has likewise been dumped for the last few months. I'll start it back up again in the New Year.

tl;dr I really like Rhodia paper. It's especially good for fountain pen, which is something moleskines are shit for. I like my silly sketchbooks and I've found paper that my scanner likes a bit more (Rhodia scans REALLY white in my scanner - it's slightly glossy/shiny), but for every size from pocket notebook, to pocket journal, full-size journal, A4 - I love the Rhodia offering.

Honestly, this is the part of my hobby I feel silliest about. Nice paper is not cheap, and while most people can understand that you like a certain kind of pen (or even pencil, but that's more of a stretch), they tend to be completely baffled as to why you'd have strong preferences for dead trees. Especially when a notepad is usually $.99 or less and I'm paying $9 for a Rhodia pad. But, man, I have pens I adore, but on the wrong paper, they're just shit, and it gums them up, and it just reduces the simple pleasure I get from writing by so much that the cost savings is meaningless.

Sorry - pent up chattiness during my little break from GAF.

Going to be getting a lined version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDh5p4h_Po4

Quo Vadis Habana. I like the A4 size and the cream colour paper.

That looks amazing. Dammit. I can't keep making these threads - they're costing me money! A paper thread would probably ruin me...

Does anyone know how Whitelines do with fountain pens? I just bought a 3 pack on Massdrop.

I like it quite a bit! They're nice notebooks - very sturdy - but they won't lay super flat, which some people hate. The paper is a tad scratchier than, say, Rhodia, which I actually prefer for pencil. - there's some optimal friction between lead and paper that I crave. It actually feels nice with pen, and writing with pencil feels a bit odd at first. I don't know how to describe it, but it threw me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom