• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4001

vscNNvP.jpg

Sera O

Banned
Though, that said, companies like Lamy and Pelikan - and this is my own personal experience - have been having increasing problems when it comes to quality assurance... Cutbacks I suppose.

I've definitely had a few dud nibs out of Lamy in the past few years that needed returning or exchanging.

Sera O, with the Zoom the angle you hold the pen at changes the size of the line the nib makes - the Zoom is designed to be similar to a fudepen in use.

I knowwwww. . . I just can't seem to actually do it lol. It sounded simple, but for whatever reason changing the angle of the nib to paper while moving it goes against every instinct I have. It might have something to do with my weird pen grip, too.

I rather enjoy the way their other products fit with this particular pen. I couldn't help myself but to get the inkwell -- which fits perfectly when you look to fill it. Goulet Pens has some great videos on this.

In all -- I love the product so much that I purchased the 580 for a buddy of mine for his birthday... and he loves his.

Yeah those inkwells are a really good example of neat TWSBI product design. I also really like the container that the spare nibs come in, too. The nib screws onto the cap, and then the cap can actually screw onto the pen section to seal that off. I guess if you needed to fly with a loaded pen, that might come in handy.

MR4001

I knowwwww. . . I just can't seem to actually do it lol. It sounded simple, but for whatever reason changing the angle of the nib to paper while moving it goes against every instinct I have. It might have something to do with my weird pen grip, too.

Looking at that Sailor video, it seems when writing Japanese - or when the Japanese write Japanese - one holds the pen at a higher angle - like when using a brush. I expect that's what Sailor had in mind when they designed the Zoom, and hence to us Westerners it feels odd. Thinking along the same lines, I wonder if a flexible nib would feel odd to someone from Japan...?

It's really interesting how fine Western hands are rather formal while Japanese fine hands are very organic in appearance.

Te3ujoC.png
Rv0ndCE.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Thought I was the only one that used fountain pens when writing in japanese. Those Salior fountain pens look good. I wish I could try one out.

Sera O

Banned
Looking at that Sailor video, it seems when writing Japanese - or when the Japanese write Japanese - one holds the pen at a higher angle - like when using a brush. I expect that's what Sailor had in mind when they designed the Zoom, and hence to us Westerners it feels odd. Thinking along the same lines, I wonder if a flexible nib would feel odd to someone from Japan...?

It's really interesting how fine Western hands are rather formal while Japanese fine hands are very organic in appearance.

Yes, the aesthetics in those examples are a real contrast - between Japanese Buddhism-rooted ideals (emphasizing transient, organic, and imperfect qualities) vs Western orientation towards completeness, symmetry and perfection. Ornamental Copperplate is a great example - the script is sort of fit into a symmetrical mold, with flourishes and loopies (super-technical term) filling in the blanks in the layout.

I guess for that zoom nib I should try to recall how I was taught to hold a brush during my brief stint in Chinese school. If it goes as well as it did back then, I'm not too optimistic about it, heh.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
^ Looks awesome to me!

Yes, the aesthetics in those examples are a real contrast - between Japanese Buddhism-rooted ideals (emphasizing transient, organic, and imperfect qualities) vs Western orientation towards completeness, symmetry and perfection. Ornamental Copperplate is a great example - the script is sort of fit into a symmetrical mold, with flourishes and loopies (super-technical term) filling in the blanks in the layout.

I guess for that zoom nib I should try to recall how I was taught to hold a brush during my brief stint in Chinese school. If it goes as well as it did back then, I'm not too optimistic about it, heh.

I remembered doing like one stint of Chinese calligraphy as a kid and promptly ditching it. Looking at how beautiful the practice is, I'm starting to grow interested again in my old age.

As an aside, I broke down and got a second fountain pen:

http://www.jetpens.com/A.G.-Spalding-Bros-BRFT220-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Maple-Wood-Beige-Body/pd/2032

Last one, seriously. I had been looking for a cheap wooden fountain pen, and the aesthetics of this is stunning to me. I just hope it writes well.

Just received a Waterman Carene Deluxe Black fountain pen for my birthday! Anyone have any experience with those? I already have a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000, so really looking forward to trying out another company.

Unfortunately, you dont get many pen brands in India, and ordering from abroad is a bit of a hassle. I ordered a small package (Platinum Preppy with Noodlers Baystate Blue) from Goulet Pens a while back and unfortunately the shipping gobbled it up somewhere. :-(

Here's a pic of the pen. This is not a pic of my pen btw, I have it in Black.

020.jpg

MR4001

Just received a Waterman Carene Deluxe Black fountain pen for my birthday! Anyone have any experience with those? I already have a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000, so really looking forward to trying out another company.

No personal experience, but I know the Carene is Waterman's top-of-the-line pen, and being such, I expect, gets all the attention at the factory in France. Waterman's more basic offerings are good pens if a little bland (and, maybe, overpriced), but at least Waterman hasn't been put through the wringer like Parker has - both are owned by Newell Rubbermaid.

Forsete

Well since I like rollerball so much I want to try FP. I found an old one, an Italic.. but I dont like it. Thinking of buying a "normal" FP.

How is Kaweco?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Well since I like rollerball so much I want to try FP. I found an old one, an Italic.. but I dont like it. Thinking of buying a "normal" FP.

How is Kaweco?

I have a Kaweco sport (which is wonderfully pcoket-sized with the cap on) that I love. This is also my mom's favorite pen.

Forsete

I have a Kaweco sport (which is wonderfully pcoket-sized with the cap on) that I love. This is also my mom's favorite pen.

Sweet. :D

I think I am going to buy the AL Sport Raw version. Looks very nice, and I like the idea of it scratching. :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
This thread is incredible. Does anyone have any good resources to fix my two left feet for hands?

Try holding the pen with, wait for it, your actual feet!

I think a lot of us will tell you that a fountain pen is great for helping along clumsy writing because they tend to be less forgiving than pencils or ballpoints. Many people need to adapt their hand position, go very slowly, and generally learn better writing habits. Get something cheap to practice with and see what you need to do to make it write nicely. I keep pushing the Pilot Plumix, because, for $7, you get something that feels good, writes beautifully, will accept the Pilot Parallel color carts (which are lovely), and you get an italic nib, so you can really see some thick-to-thin in your writing.

Sera O

Banned
Oh guys, I just discovered my new favourite ink for using up on throwaway calligraphy practice:

1/ The shading in the ultra juicy parallel, cotdamn
2/ It feels pretty nice to write with
3/ It's cheap (important consideration for the bone-headed calligrapher)
4/ It comes in a huge bottle that was so full that the person mailing it to me had to take 5 ml out of just so it wouldn't freeze/explode in transit.

It's. . . Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses! Or, as I like to call it, the ultimate goth blood/tear combo - even the real name of the ink sounds rather dramatic lol

Sweet. :D

I think I am going to buy the AL Sport Raw version. Looks very nice, and I like the idea of it scratching. :p

I haven't tried one, but I did read that the Kaweco sport pens with plastic bodies can be converted to eyedropper pens (in case you ever want to stop using cartridges). I like the look as well.

For a starter pen I think the Pilot Metropolitan/MR is also a good bet for folks who don't really know what they might like yet. No extra converter purchase required to use bottled ink, and it writes very well. However, it only comes in one nib size, which may be a deal-breaker.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I got a Lamy Safari for Christmas thanks to pointing the mrs towards this thread. Very nice pen, looking forward to using it in the new year. Thanks op!

BorkBork

I got a Lamy Safari for Christmas thanks to pointing the mrs towards this thread. Very nice pen, looking forward to using it in the new year. Thanks op!

Safari buddies woo! I've had mine for about a month and I'm still smitten with it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
My favorite calligraphy blog reblogged a thing I made and I am going to die from happiness. I've been at this a few weeks and I have so far to go, but damn if it isn't incredibly fun!

Arkanius

Should I even try to get a fountain pen or is my calligraphy a jumbled mess?
I think I never grew up from cursive as a child, that and the fast writing my Engineering course life obligates me, makes a confusing combo

aZLQYJX.jpg

Ludovico

I think I never grew up from cursive as a child, that and the fast writing my Engineering course life obligates me, makes a confusing combo

aZLQYJX.jpg

Pick up one of the Pilot Varsity packs, what have you got to lose?
I'm at the point where I can use my fountain pens to write quick if I need to, but I really just enjoy journaling or writing with them. Taking time in those settings should naturally carry over to your note taking.

I decided to pick up some Calligraphy pens today, went with the Sheaffer mini kit.
Pretty satisfied so far, but I know it'll take a lot of practice to get on the level of a few other posters in here. Also grabbed some glass eyedroppers and a Zebra 301 while in Walgreens today, been eyeing it for awhile.

Anyway, pics!

Sera O

Banned

You don't have bad handwriting! I'd say pick up a cheapie like Ludovico recommends and see how you like it. If a fountain pen is a good tool for you, you'll know by the feel of it, and it might make you want to hand-write more, too.

Anyway, pics!

Aw that snake in your doodle looks so happy. I really like it!

JustDrive

Just watching a show on the BBC and the guy was using a fountain pen and had me wondering if they still used them in schools nowadays, A quick google led me here but can't seem to get a conclusive answer, I was forced to use them at school in the eighties and believe they do improve hand writing but I remember them to be a real pain to use sometimes, Are sheaffer still the go to brand in Europe?.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just watching a show on the BBC and the guy was using a fountain pen and had me wondering if they still used them in schools nowadays, A quick google led me here but can't seem to get a conclusive answer, I was forced to use them at school in the eighties and believe they do improve hand writing but I remember them to be a real pain to use sometimes, Are sheaffer still the go to brand in Europe?.

I was at school in England in the 90s and I work in a private school now. Fountain pens are compulsory in neither, although the really fancy pupils at my work will use nice pens. It's just as common to find some kid with biros stuffed in his blazer as well though!

MR4001

When we'd progressed from Staedtler Norises we had either the choice of school-sourced Berol Handwriting Pens (see below) or private-sourced fountain pens with blue ink - I went with a Parker Jotter in navy and stainless steel and Parker Quink Washable Blue.

A6CDllO.jpg

At secondary school the only restriction was that you had to use blue or black ink. Most kids used ballpoints or gel pens, a few of us used fountain pens - a black Parker Vector was my choice.

Nowadays it's the Lamy Safari that's the school pen of choice, I think, but the Parker Jotter and Vector are still about - going by what's on the shelves at WHSmith.

Playing around with my new camera!:

NwDo0LI.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

aZLQYJX.jpg

Go for it! You writing is already pretty neat 'n tidy. A fountain pen may help make it better. I've been learning calligraphy for a few weeks now and it's influencing my normal handwriting, making it neater, more stylish.

Pick up one of the Pilot Varsity packs, what have you got to lose?
I'm at the point where I can use my fountain pens to write quick if I need to, but I really just enjoy journaling or writing with them. Taking time in those settings should naturally carry over to your note taking.

I decided to pick up some Calligraphy pens today, went with the Sheaffer mini kit.
Pretty satisfied so far, but I know it'll take a lot of practice to get on the level of a few other posters in here. Also grabbed some glass eyedroppers and a Zebra 301 while in Walgreens today, been eyeing it for awhile.

Anyway, pics!

Nice! I love your happy snake!

Okay, that did not sound right. Errr.... ;)

Playing around with my new camera!:

NwDo0LI.jpg

Those ink bottles - it's all too gorgeous! Must not spend more money on pens and ink! Why must you tempt me so! (I reeeeaaallly want the ink Sea O posted! Sweet fancy Moses! It's gorgeous!)

I just had to post this!: my first ever animated GIF!:

YVKrhOq.gif

Incredible! I'm so jealous of your pens and ink. :(

Arkanius

Go for it! You writing is already pretty neat 'n tidy. A fountain pen may help make it better. I've been learning calligraphy for a few weeks now and it's influencing my normal handwriting, making it neater, more stylish.

Really? I always thought I wrote like an elementary schoolboy.
I'll buy those disposable pens in the OP (I think I'll have to order them from Amazon, lol) and see how it goes. Maybe I'll start learning how to make my writing flourish

Sera O

Banned
I just had to post this!: my first ever animated GIF!:

They're all so nice! That Diabolo Menthe looks much more assertive out of the Pelikan, it's very cool.

I find it really hard to get a handle on how ink will look out of different pens. I had a wet M nib metropolitan loaded with Kon Peki. The ink was lovely out of that pen, but M is a bit much for me and I ended up giving the pen to a friend who was interested to try FPs. Now to see how that ink looks in one of the Fs.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Really? I always thought I wrote like an elementary schoolboy.
I'll buy those disposable pens in the OP (I think I'll have to order them from Amazon, lol) and see how it goes. Maybe I'll start learning how to make my writing flourish

Math looks beautiful with an italic nib pen! Get a Pilot Plumix! I'll post a sample after I run to the art store. Again.

What idiot made this thread?! I'm going broke! Fuck you, OP!

Venfayth

Anyone use or have experience writing japanese characters with fountain pens? Any particular kinds that look nice with the kana? I know they have calligraphy brushes and whatnot for that, but looking for a pen alternative just to have some fun with.

Sera O

Banned

Apologies in advance, I probably will run off a little bit. TLDR this thing is way too much work for what you end up with.

So you know, every now and then there is this product you become aware of. The idea behind it is kind of cool, but at the same time you see the warning signs. You are still curious to see for yourself, but refrain because it isn't for you.

But then, the situation changes. You drink a bunch of gibsons and you have some Christmas money and you figure, hey, it's pretty cheap, how bad can it be? So low risk! Woohoo mix me another martini, kind barman, I'm gonna do some shopping!

Anyway, that's how I ended up with this Noodler's Ahab.

A pen differs from a stick in a key way. If I rub a stick on paper, it probably won't leave much of a mark, unless it's really dirty. The way the Ahab arrives, it works less well than a dirty stick. I couldn't call it a pen since no ink was going to come out no matter what. It seemed more like a hermetically sealed ink vial disguised as a fountain pen.

Now, I had seen in reviews that some adjustment might be needed in order to tweak the ink flow. I figured this would be an issue for flex writing (the feed might not be able to supply enough because it uses tons of ink). However, this pen was set against any writing, period. So, over the next hour or two, I did the following:

• Flushed the pen out repeatedly
  • Cleaned the feed 3 times with a toothbrush
  • Removed the nib and feed to adjust their positioning over and over
  • Splashed myself with ink because of course this must be done with ink loaded to test (why did I wear Helmut today)
  • Removed the breather tube (accidentally because that thing just flies off every time the feed comes out)
  • Promptly lost the breather tube, exploded with frustration
  • Read on the internet that somehow the loss of said tube can help, and stopped searching for it
  • More nib and feed positioning
  • Bellowed with rage and sawed on the feed channels for ten minutes with an old pair of scissors

So yeah, after my frenzied mutilation of the feed, this thing writes. For now.

Was it worth it? No. I'm not objective about it at the moment, but every other pen I have is both nicer to write with and acted like a pen right off the bat. I can't even pull the "flex pen" defense because the Dilli worked right away and is also a cheap flex nib. The Dilli isn't as attractive and the nib takes more pressure to flex, but looks aren't everything. The nib on the Dilli is way smoother than the Ahab's, too.

Also, the Ahab smells like a coconut's asshole - it's really weird. What is that about.

neojubei

There's a kickstarter right now for machined all metal fountain pens in case anyone's interested:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/karaskustoms/ink-a-unique-machined-fountain-rollerball-pen/posts

The company's done a few pretty neat looking pens before but this looks to be their most successful project yet. They hit their target in 24 hours lol.

They look pretty incredible and relatively affordable to me.

I would back that but i would want some customer reviews on how good the nib is at writing. Eh, I'll wait for it to hit store shelves if it even does.

MR4001

Also, the Ahab smells like a coconut's asshole - it's really weird. What is that about.

LOL. Where's the Ahab made? Are they made in the US, like the ink is? At least you've saved the rest of us from such a horror!

New ink!: Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji:

tKJm9uM.jpg

It's a vibrant pink-leaning red, very much like momiji. I like it - it's a red but different. Like all Iroshizukus, it's a wonderful ink when it comes to performance.

FFyu6FR.jpg

kcHuoqV.jpg

tlEOq7M.jpg

Above: (from left to right) Platinum Pigment Blue, Sailor Black, Sailor Apricot, Pilot Kosumosu, Diamine Soft Mint, J Herbin Diabolo Menthe, Pilot Momiji

PleoGXR.jpg

Sera O

Banned
LOL. Where's the Ahab made? Are they made in the US, like the ink is? At least you've saved the rest of us from such a horror!

The pen box insert says, "Noodler's made [this pen] [. . .] with the help of people in: Texas, New York, California, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, and India. The combination of the oldest and largest democracies can increase living standards for all."

So. . . I think it's likely India is where assembly and QA take place. Finding key points in Noodler's material can be tough - the owner is a bit eccentric. I appreciate he has strong views on providing value for his customers (to the point where explosive ink bottles are a real hazard), and his refillable dry-erase marker ink idea is awesome. But the videos. Slow talking is like kryptonite to me.

The pen itself is nice resin - and build quality and finish is decent. I imagine there are lucky people who get one that works great out of the package, but the aggravation is too fresh for me to be fair to it.

New ink!: Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji:

It's a vibrant pink-leaning red, very much like momiji. I like it - it's a red but different. Like all Iroshizukus, it's a wonderful ink when it comes to performance.

I like momiji a lot. As you mentioned, it does have pink in it, which seems to throw people off if they expect a russet-tinted red. However, a lot of fall leaves do have a fuchsia undertone and aren't an orange/red like folks seem to believe.

Do you find Iroshizuku cosmos to be reasonably legible? I've been thinking about getting a pink in the spring. J. Herbin Rouille D'Ancre seems to be an interesting one.

BorkBork

I would back that but i would want some customer reviews on how good the nib is at writing. Eh, I'll wait for it to hit store shelves if it even does.

They have five or six detailed impressions from fountain pen blogs pertaining to the prototype on the main page, all super positive. The only thing is that the pen only comes with a medium nib, so that might not fly for many.

Sera O said:
eSYInv5s.jpg

Sera O

Banned
They have five or six detailed impressions from fountain pen blogs pertaining to the prototype on the main page, all super positive. The only thing is that the pen only comes with a medium nib, so that might not fly for many.

eSYInv5s.jpg

Pfffff oh my god haha. Yeah the smell's like coconuts. . . but a little bit gross. Coconuts + carob + mildewy bathing suits, maybe. . .

As for the Karas FP kickstarter, it looks good for people who like that really industrial looking design (the other fountain pen kickstarter I read about before was kind of questionable, with video showing Higgins ink filling and stuff like that).

It sounds like the nib unit for the Karas pen will be good (Schmidt, same German manufacturer that built the nibs used on some TWSBI pens) and the body of the pen looks solid too. If anything, I think it's too solid for me - metal pens are heavy, and these are big! Even though there are a few really good pens in that 60-70 price range already, nothing looks quite like this one. I wonder how much they plan to retail this for.

BorkBork

Pfffff oh my god haha. Yeah the smell's like coconuts. . . but a little bit gross. Coconuts + carob + mildewy bathing suits, maybe. . .

As for the Karas FP kickstarter, it looks good for people who like that really industrial looking design (the other fountain pen kickstarter I read about before was kind of questionable, with video showing Higgins ink filling and stuff like that).

It sounds like the nib unit for the Karas pen will be good (Schmidt, same German manufacturer that built the nibs used on some TWSBI pens) and the body of the pen looks solid too. If anything, I think it's too solid for me - metal pens are heavy, and these are big! Even though there are a few really good pens in that 60-70 price range already, nothing looks quite like this one. I wonder how much they plan to retail this for.

In the comment section, there's quite a bit of discussion revolving around the other FP Kickstarter. Crowdfunding is always a bit of a gamble, but Karas have a pretty good track record on pens (they've done metal ballpoints before) and seem to deliver on quality.

It also seems that they are quite cognizant of potential weight issues, dismissing requests for full body brass and copper pens because they will be too heavy. I think an all aluminum pen shouldn't be too bad, but I would have to hold it in my hand to know.

Sera O

Banned
In the comment section, there's quite a bit of discussion revolving around the other FP Kickstarter. Crowdfunding is always a bit of a gamble, but Karas have a pretty good track record on pens (they've done metal ballpoints before) and seem to deliver on quality.

It also seems that they are quite cognizant of potential weight issues, dismissing requests for full body brass and copper pens because they will be too heavy. I think an all aluminum pen shouldn't be too bad, but I would have to hold it in my hand to know.

The more I look at this pen design, the more appealing it is. It's reassuring that this company has already fulfilled their other KS commitments too.

As for the pen being heavy, I see now that the cap isn't meant to post, so it probably is reasonably light to use. I have a tendency to lose pen-caps when they don't post, but that's my own special problem!

neojubei

[pg[/IMG]

medium nib? totally not for me then

MR4001

Do you find Iroshizuku cosmos to be reasonably legible? I've been thinking about getting a pink in the spring. J. Herbin Rouille D'Ancre seems to be an interesting one.

I find it to be perfectly legible, soft on the eyes even. Even in something that has a very fine line I think it would still be readable enough for quick notes and so on.

D5tl3Ov.jpg

jX5lPAI.jpg

(Top to bottom) Platinum Pigment Ink Pigment Blue, Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu and Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Seeing this thread was perfect timing for me as my brother wanted a fountain pen for Christmas. I just bought the Lamy Safari fountain pen with a converter and a bottle of Noodler's black bulletproof ink since he can't use blue ink at work. Thanks!

Forsete

Well I got my Kaweco AL Sport a few days ago and here are some pics and impressions.

I like it a lot.. Even though I am a lefty I can write with it pretty well. It is very very smooth and light, you just hold it on the paper and write. I also like the look of the ink!

Right now I have only tested the supplied Kaweco blue cartridge. I have some Quinck blue and black in bottles that is a few years old but like I said, nothing I have tried in this pen. Anyway I haven't gotten a converter for this pen so I have nothing to fill those inks into. But I will order one, together with some other bottled ink.

I went for the polished raw aluminum version, it scratches very easily as you can see.. but I like that. I like that it looks used.
Like I said it feels very-very light in your hand, and if you mount the cap on the back of the pen it is a nice sized pen.

Here is the stainless steel nib.

I tried some different papers, and the best I could find are two thick A4 papers named Svenskt Arkiv (Swedish Archive, made from cotton fiber 100g/m2) and Sweden Bond (90g/m2). Both are nice and thick, made for archiving purposes and feature watermarks. I've had these two paper types for many years and I love them.

The ink does not sink/shine through these papers and it does not bleed. The dry time is 3 seconds on Svenskt Arkiv and 5 seconds on Sweden Bond.

I have a Moleskine notebook and sadly the ink started to go through the paper. That sucks!
Also here is what the pen looks like with its cartridge. Ink level goes down very fast! :p

So, my first proper fountain pen.
I have a Sheaffer like I said (actually I think it was my sisters, 10+ years ago), but it has an Italic nib when I do not like.

Sera O

Banned
I find it to be perfectly legible, soft on the eyes even. Even in something that has a very fine line I think it would still be readable enough for quick notes and so on.

That does look only a little bit less contrasty than momiji, actually. Thanks for doing that comparison, I appreciate it! When I finish another bottle up, perhaps I will get some Kosumosu (how quickly my resolve fades).

Well I got my Kaweco AL Sport a few days ago and here are some pics and impressions.

I like it a lot.. Even though I am a lefty I can write with it pretty well. It is very very smooth and light, you just hold it on the paper and write. I also like the look of the ink!

[. . .]

I went for the polished raw aluminum version, it scratches very easily as you can see.. but I like that. I like that it looks used.

Great photos! I think that the design of the pen wears really nicely, it's kind of rugged-looking.

It's true about moleskine paper not standing up to most liquid ink pens. Considering how likely it is that people interested in fountain pens already have some moleskine notebooks, it's pretty unfortunate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom