• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Analyst) GTA:SA to sell 4.5 million copies the first week

http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6602087

I know this was probably in some other GTA post, but do they seriously believe that it will sell this much in a single week, globally or not?

'Grand Theft Auto' Seen Breaking Games Sales Record
Mon Oct 25, 2004 01:58 PM ET
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints

NEW YORK (Reuters) - When the violent video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" hits stores on Tuesday, its sales could eclipse Hollywood's most successful films, even as it draws the ire of critics.

Developed by Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) imprint Rockstar Games, "San Andreas" should sell more than 4.5 million units globally in its first week, which could make it one of the top sellers of all time, analysts say.

"This will be one of the few video games to sell more copies than the preceding version," said American Technology Research analyst P.J. McNealy, noting that the game's predecessor "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" sold 12 million copies. "The expectations are 13-15 million for this one," he added.

At about $50 each, first-week sales of 4.5 million units would equal about $225 million. Should it reach 15 million units, sales of "San Andreas" would beat U.S. and Canada box office sales of the film "Titanic" by more than $100 million.

Its debut kicks off a season of blockbusters in the global interactive game publishing market, which at over $30 billion a year, dwarfs the movie business.

"San Andreas," exclusive to Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation 2 console, will be followed on Nov. 9 by "Halo 2," made by Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) for its Xbox. Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) , maker of the GameCube, will have "Metroid Prime 2."

Microsoft said more than 1.5 million copies of "Halo 2" have already been pre-ordered.

VIDEO GAME VIOLENCE

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas's" plot revolves around a gangster returning to a city modeled after Los Angeles, to find his mother has been murdered and the police have blamed him for another killing. What follows is up to 150 hours of story-driven "gameplay" in which users can steal vehicles, maneuver out-of-control car chases, and shoot opponents.

"It is very violent (and includes) shooting cops," said Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "People like being the bad guy. This is a way of acting out a stupid fantasy."

Pachter adds that Microsoft's "Halo 2" is "every bit as violent, but the things that you are shooting don't look like people. They look like space suit guys."

Analysts expect "San Andreas" to stir up similar criticism to "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," released in 2002, which was condemned by family values watchdog groups and Connecticut's U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman, an advocate of restrictions on violent games.

"Vice City" sales soared as game enthusiasts shrugged off the protests.

Like "Vice City," "San Andreas" carries an "M," or Mature, rating. According to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, M-rated games feature intense violence, contain sexual themes and strong language, and is suitable for persons over 17.

This time, the game will again benefit specialty stores Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp.(ELBO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , and GameStop Corp.(GME.N: Quote, Profile, Research) , as well as larger retail chains such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) , which monitors the content of the products it sells.

"If you are Wal-Mart you aren't going to miss out on selling one of the biggest titles of the year," said analyst American Technology's McNealy.

A spokesman for Wal-Mart was not available for comment.

Fueled by anticipation for "San Andreas," Take-Two shares have been strong this year. But they slipped 97 cents, or about 3 percent, to $31.58 on Monday after Banc of America Securities cut its rating to "neutral" from "buy," citing a lack of other hit titles in its pipeline.

"Beyond GTA, there remain no other blockbuster releases in Take-Two's lineup," said analyst Gary Cooper in a note to clients. "We have only moderate expectations for Rockstar's releases after San Andreas (such as "Midnight Club 3" and "The Warriors")."

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's amazing - the detractors last time around were absolutely positive that VC wouldn't meet GTA 3's numbers, and they were eclipsed. I'd be willing to stake my lunch AND dinner that not only will SA beat VC's and GTA 3's numbers combined, but it will lead us to a glorious new Gaming Valhalla, where nubile wenches wearing nothing but skimpy PS2-logo'd togas will feed me peeled grapes while my Dual Shock rumbles with barely restrained glee.

DMczaf

bishoptl said:
It's amazing - the detractors last time around were absolutely positive that VC wouldn't meet GTA 3's numbers, and they were eclipsed. I'd be willing to stake my lunch AND dinner that not only will SA beat VC's and GTA 3's numbers combined, but it will lead us to a glorious new Gaming Valhalla, where nubile wenches wearing nothing but skimpy PS2-logo'd togas will feed me peeled grapes while my Dual Shock rumbles with barely restrained glee.

...and more black main characters!

black_power-1960_olympics.jpg

bishoptl said:
I'd be willing to stake my lunch AND dinner that not only will SA beat VC's and GTA 3's numbers combined.

You heard it here, first. Bishop predicts 24M+ copies of GTA:SA sold! With over 12M sold in the US NPD (not including PC, XBox, Double Packs, etc) :D

jarrod

Banned
4.5M first week sounds a bit too optimistic... no doubt it'll sell that number (more really) but in the first week? I think around 2 million would be a safer bet.

jarrod said:
4.5M first week sounds a bit too optimistic... no doubt it'll sell that number (more really) but in the first week? I think around 2 million would be a safer bet.

Globally. It launches in Europe on Friday.

Of course, there will be no official way to track that. I'm sure someone will leak next weeks Chartrack, which will actually have numbers for GTA for Friday and Saturday, but that's only the UK. So that leaves the rest of Europe and the US.

No doubt, Take-Two will be releasing some big ass number PR release next week though.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Scalemail Ted said:
Have they been advertising this game on tv?
Like crazy my friend, then again it must be only the channels I watch. Last night on Comedy Central it was practically ridiculous with the amount of ads they had.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Globally. It launches in Europe on Friday.

Of course, there will be no official way to track that. I'm sure someone will leak next weeks Chartrack, which will actually have numbers for GTA for Friday and Saturday, but that's only the UK. So that leaves the rest of Europe and the US.

No doubt, Take-Two will be releasing some big ass number PR release next week though.
Ah, globally seems more plausable. :)

Is Capcom publishing San Andreas in Japan btw?

Fifty

I want to be a Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst! Then I can say shit like

""People like being the bad guy. This is a way of acting out a stupid fantasy."

And have people listen

also:

""Halo 2" is "every bit as violent, but the things that you are shooting don't look like people. They look like space suit guys.""

jarrod said:
Ah, globally seems more plausable. :)

Is Capcom publishing San Andreas in Japan btw?

Don't know. I don't think they've announced a time table for that. Boy, if the mob stuff was tough to translate, I can't wait to see how they do this.

jarrod said:

Good thing is with so many copies being shipped, i don't think I'll have a problem finding one (didn't preorder).

COCKLES

being watched
I wouldn't be surprised if it's banned in the UK a few weeks after release. With spiralling black gun crime in the UK, which resulted in a 7 year old girl being shot dead last week, the game is going to come under fire from both sides, from middle class white Britian and black newspapers like The Voice for exploiting stereotypes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does this game have half the hype that GTA:VC had?
Does "Madden" have hype every year when it sells millions? GTA is a kind of game that doesn't really need internet hype, dedicated fans, or stuff like that to sell well. I would bet it sells most to people who have never visit gaming forums anyways. It's a game that's basically become a part of today's youth's culture - and as you'll soon see when you play it, SA is built and situated that way, more than any of the GTA games before it. It maps that urban atmosphere better than any other game I can think of, and as I'm sure you've noticed that culture is on the forefront of what is popular nowadays. That's why GTA games sell as much as they do.

MrparisSM

Banned
DMczaf said:
...and more black main characters!

black_power-1960_olympics.jpg

Once u go black, u never go back. :D as much as I'm a halo fanboy I hope this game has the best sales of all time. WE NEED MORE BLACK MAIN CHARACTERS. FF XI completely threw me of when I discovered u could not choose a more ethnic character.

Deg

Banned
COCKLES said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's banned in the UK a few weeks after release. With spiralling black gun crime in the UK, which resulted in a 7 year old girl being shot dead last week, the game is going to come under fire from both sides, from middle class white Britian and black newspapers like The Voice for exploiting stereotypes.

No way. If it sells they wont ban it. GAME and Dixons actually restocked Manhunt after sales went up(if they took it off in the first place... Ofcourse they didnt release a PR for restocking the game and game mags didnt actually mention that little fact ;)

MrparisSM said:
WE NEED MORE BLACK MAIN CHARACTERS

Damn right. Must every single character be white? Notice how even Japanese devs dont use Asians...

cja

GTA:SA is already sold out here in the UK with indies large and small unable to get more copies for release day (Friday).

amazon.co.uk
We have currently sold out of our initial copies of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. If you order now, we will dispatch as soon as we receive additional stock from our supplier, which will be after the game's release.

Simplygames

UPDATE 3pm 25/10/04 - PLEASE NOTE, ANY ORDERS PLACED AFTER THIS POINT ARE NO LONGER EXPECTED TO BE DELIVERED WITH YOU ON THE DAY OF LAUNCH. ADDITIONAL STOCKS ARE DUE WITH US WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND THESE WILL BE SHIPPED OUT AS SOON AS WE RECEIVE THEM FROM OUR SUPPLIER.

PLEASE BE ASSURED, ALL ORDERS PLACED BEFORE THIS TIME ARE STILL EXPECTED TO ARRIVE WITH YOU ON THE DAY OF RELEASE.

& gamingarena

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas OCT 29th !!!SOLD OUT!!!

The new Street Date Agreement (MCV report & Eurogamer thread) is sure to screw smaller retailers and their customers. The release date situation is a complete mess here. It would be far better if they just followed the US, ship on a Monday or Tuesday and have a free for all.

LukeSmith

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas's" plot revolves around a gangster returning to a city modeled after Los Angeles, to find his mother has been murdered and the police have blamed him for another killing. What follows is up to 150 hours of story-driven "gameplay" in which users can steal vehicles, maneuver out-of-control car chases, and shoot opponents.

150 hours of story-driven "gameplay," huh? seems a little far fetched.

SantaC

evilromero said:
Waiting for the Xbox version. As tempting as it is to buy it this week, I must hold out for the superior Xbox version.

isn't the xbox version just a port?

snapty00

Banned
"San Andreas," exclusive to Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation 2 console, will be followed on Nov. 9 by "Halo 2," made by Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) for its Xbox. Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) , maker of the GameCube, has decided to forego this consumer-dollars battle.
Hmm. Well, they know what they're talking about better than I.

SantaCruZer said:
isn't the xbox version just a port?
Oh my god. This board has sunk to a new low. Calling someone out on a widely used term as "version"? Does it fucking matter? Is there any doubt in your little mind that I'm simply speaking of the port? VERSION VERSION VERSION!

bishoptl said:

Not only was VC not suppose to outsell GTA3, it wasn't suppose to even sell half as much because "people were tired of the concept". The sales always speak for itself though...It only took VC 3 months to outsell GTA3. SA will likely outsell VC in less time.

In lieu of the review scores, is 4.5 million any more believable? And does it affect your thoughts of GTA vs Halo 2 for the sales crown this year?

Insertia

After reading Gamespot's and IGN's reviews and seeing the commercials, I'm almost positive it will do 4 million+ in seven days. GTA:SA will have the greatest word of mouth of any game this year.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
From the official thread:
TekunoRobby said:
I am seriously not exagerrating but there were atleast 50 people there. The GameSpot I went to was at a strip mall (a very ritzy one) and there was a maaaasive crowd for the game. Luckily I was one of the few who paid it off in full so the time spent there was quick. I am honestly blown away by the amount of people that were there, I know ~50 doesn't sound like much but I've never seen that amount of people waiting to get a single game. Not even VC was that hectic (and I worked that day).
Apologies for my piss poor grammer and spelling. This is from a GameStop that's within 5 miles of two other stores (one directly to the north and another directly to the south). I asked the employees and the other stores were either just as swamped with people or more. This is going to be a monster in sales my friends.

Mrbob

TekunoRobby said:
From the official thread:

Apologies for my piss poor grammer and spelling. This is from a GameStop that's within 5 miles of two other stores (one directly to the north and another directly to the south). I asked the employees and the other stores were either just as swamped with people or more. This is going to be a monster in sales my friends.

Did you need individual store reports to figure this out? :p

I still contend that the game we cannot speak of in GTA:SA threads will have a bigger opening night with its midnight madness.

Considering how fucking fast this game has sold out out my EB, this game is going to be fucking huge. I remember there being like no one when I picked up GTA:VC at 8pm on launch day. FUck, i went into this with my mindset then....I can't get the game till at least thursday :( BOO!

Mrbob

Pedigree Chum said:
Considering how fucking fast this game has sold out out my EB, this game is going to be fucking huge. I remember there being like no one when I picked up GTA:VC at 8pm on launch day. FUck, i went into this with my mindset then....I can't get the game till at least thursday :( BOO!

This is why you preorder my friend!

Mrbob said:
This is why you preorder my friend!

I did, then I spent the cash on the PSTwo. I have credit at a mom&pop place, but they won't get it in till tomorrow at the earliest. Plus there's no pre-ordering there, so its first come first serve. Going to have to pack some heat tomorrow if i'm to get a copy there...wish me luck.

Top Bottom