• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Cool. Excited to see this as Android L seems like the first time Google is trying to make a cohesive, unique experience across the platform instead of feeling like the OS is a bunch of apps glued together created by different teams who don't talk to eachother and only vaguely understand their own design guidelines.

And nice that all that tron design is being thrown out. That was weird.

I'm leaving Android land for a 6+ for a year, I'll be checking back in and I hope to see android in a really solid gorgeous place in that time. Lots of apps have to catch up to this ui.

Rayis

I doubt my old LG device is going to get this but it does sound pretty cool, I'll be stuck with jelly bean for a while.

TeegsD

Probably just Hangouts with a new icon. Good job if so, the current green speech bubble thing looks bad.

I was thinking that but I still see hangouts in some of those same screens, i mean, as it currently is. Plus, if they were updating hangouts so soon, why release the new desktop app with the old icon?

I have a HTC ONE locked to Rogers in Canada. Can I grab Android 5.0 from Google and install a fresh copy onto my HTC ONE? Or do I need to wait for HTC/Google to release a Rogers specific version of Android One?

Motorola confirmed it's coming to most of their devices as well.

Moto X (1st Gen. & 2nd Gen.)
Moto G (1st Gen. & 2nd Gen.)
Moto G with 4G LTE
Moto E
Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, and Droid Mini

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/10/its-official-android-50-lollipop-coming.html

I think the Moto G is the best tech purchase I've made in years. Amazing phone at an amazing price with constant updates. It gets updates earlier than all the expensive Sony and Samsung flagship phones.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Damn my nexus 4 is like one of my best investments ever. Had it for over a year with nary an issue. Had to reset to factory a few months ago but everything but my text archive reloaded itself no issue.

It's an absolute beast.

So if I wanted to upgrade early next year for less than 300 USD what's my best option? Anything at this point?

jwhit28

I think the Moto G is the best tech purchase I've made in years. Amazing phone at an amazing price with constant updates. It gets updates earlier than all the expensive Sony and Samsung flagship phones.

Same, my only disappointment is the Cast Screen option not actually working.

The most surprising thing is the Moto E, I picked one up for £60 on offer and it got 4.4.4 really quickly, I'm impressed that it's even getting lollypop.

This webm from the main Lollipop page is the only shot of Hangouts (I'm assuming it's Hangouts) I see in any of this. The old green icon is nowhere to be found in any of the screenshots.

It definitely seems to be getting some sort of overhaul. I'm guessing that mysterious messaging icon really is the new Hangouts icon.

Was hoping for some AndroidWear 2.0 announcements :[ Pretty sure we're supposed to hear something in the next few days though.

Looking forward to this update. Material sounds cool.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This webm from the main Lollipop page is the only shot of Hangouts (I'm assuming it's Hangouts) I see in any of this. The old green icon is nowhere to be found in any of the screenshots.

It definitely seems to be getting some sort of overhaul. I'm guessing that mysterious messaging icon really is the new Hangouts icon.

Yep, think so too. And this looks a lot better than the current Hangouts. I wonder why they did that crappy redesign a while back if they were gonna roll out a new version with L anyway.

manfestival

Motorola confirmed it's coming to most of their devices as well.

Moto X (1st Gen. & 2nd Gen.)
Moto G (1st Gen. & 2nd Gen.)
Moto G with 4G LTE
Moto E
Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, and Droid Mini

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/10/its-official-android-50-lollipop-coming.html

I knew this was gonna happen but seeing the blog statement makes me so happy. Super pleased with my moto g 2nd gen right now and excited for this update. Such a better experience overall with motorola than I have had with samsung or htc. Granted HTC has improved through the years

Yep, think so too. And this looks a lot better than the current Hangouts. I wonder why they did that crappy redesign a while back if they were gonna roll out a new version with L anyway.

I think the biggest problem with that green speech bubble icon (and the green-themed app interface) is that it doesn't really scream "stock messaging app," which is what Hangouts now is. It doesn't blend into the overall OS the way a stock messaging app should.

Google seems to have finally realized this.

Nyoro SF

Improved notifications is godly. I really dislike how I could read a text message from the preview screen but the notification wouldn't go away unless you went directly into the app and opened your inbox.

Top Bottom