• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Yep, think so too. And this looks a lot better than the current Hangouts. I wonder why they did that crappy redesign a while back if they were gonna roll out a new version with L anyway.

Considering Hangouts can now handle SMS/MMS it's probably been Messaging and Hangouts have probably been unified in Lollipop for the phones. It may even have a new name.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Improved notifications is godly. I really dislike how I could read a text message from the preview screen but the notification wouldn't go away unless you went directly into the app and opened your inbox.

That is an app problem. Textra has the option to count swiping away the notification as reading it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Considering Hangouts can now handle SMS/MMS it's probably been Messaging and Hangouts have probably been unified in Lollipop for the phones. It may even have a new name.

The AOSP Messaging app hasn't been supported by Google in a long time now though. The N5, launched a year ago, doesn't have it at all. Hangouts is the de facto standard messaging app since then. Hangouts already does everything Messaging did, so what would "unifiying" them even mean?

Is there still an AOSP messaging app, maybe it's that instead of hangouts. It does seem odd they'd push a non-Google pantheon app.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there still an AOSP messaging app, maybe it's that instead of hangouts. It does seem odd they'd push a non-Google pantheon app.

Like I said, that app hasn't been included on a Nexus since the N4. Hangouts has completely replaced it. So I don't know why they would suddenly bring it back now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh sweet. Well, this applies to other apps too, guess it's not an Android problem that can be fixed. :(

I don't quite get what your issue is. If I swipe away a notification for a text that notification is gone forever. It doesn't mark the text as read in Hangouts, but the notification doesn't come back, or whatever it is you're saying. The same goes for all other apps I use. Swipe a notification away, and it's gone. So I'm not sure what's going on with your phone.

Nyoro SF

I don't quite get what your issue is. If I swipe away a notification for a text that notification is gone forever. It doesn't mark the text as read in Hangouts, but the notification doesn't come back, or whatever it is you're saying. The same goes for all other apps I use. Swipe a notification away, and it's gone. So I'm not sure what's going on with your phone.

My terminology is bad, perhaps. Basically if I get a text, I get an alert and a notification pop-up on my phone, so I drag from the top of the screen to see my list of notifications. If it's a small text or a small note from say, the Facebook app, I usually just clear my notifications and go back to the home screen. But after that, the apps still contain notification symbols that I have new messages. The only way to get rid of them is to enter the app and read the message within the app.

This applies to a number of apps, fairly annoying. Especially if it's a small notification that I don't have to enter the app to read.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My terminology is bad, perhaps. Basically if I get a text, I get an alert and a notification pop-up on my phone, so I drag from the top of the screen to see my list of notifications. If it's a small text or a small note from say, the Facebook app, I usually just clear my notifications and go back to the home screen. But after that, the apps still contain notification symbols that I have new messages. The only way to get rid of them is to enter the app and read the message within the app.

This applies to a number of apps, fairly annoying. Especially if it's a small notification that I don't have to enter the app to read.

Ok, yeah, I agree that it would be nice if swiping a notification away would mark the message as read (or whatever is appropriate) in the app. But this would have to been implemented on an app-by-app basis, since notifications can be for just about anything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really? I'm confident I had the old Messaging app when I bought the N4. Still do (although I do use Hangouts as an SMS app).

Yeah, I meant that the N4 was the last Nexus to have the Messaging app included. Since the N5 it's been replaced completely by Hangouts, and I doubt they would bring it back now. The entire point of making Hangouts handle SMS/MMS (and recently Voice where that is relevant) was to not have messaging spread out over a bunch of different apps.

I'm so contemplating a Nexus 5. Is it great?

Battery and camera are average, and it lacks expandable storage if that's important to you (I don't miss it at all, I have embraced the cloud). Other than that, yeah, it's pretty great. Still very competitive performance-wise, it's gonna run L very smoothly.

123rl

My mum has a Motorola G. Honestly that phone is such an underrated gem. Dirt cheap and it runs so well. The fact that it gets updates faster than most flagships from other manufacturers is just the icing on the cake

Majine

Banned
Battery and camera are average, and it lacks expandable storage if that's important to you (I don't miss it at all, I have embraced the cloud). Other than that, yeah, it's pretty great. Still very competitive performance-wise, it's gonna run L very smoothly.

I'm probably okay with 32 GB. Having stock android is more important. Not gonna give in to Samsung.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any new footage of the OS? Any sizzle reels or anything?

MercuryLS

Banned
Any new footage of the OS? Any sizzle reels or anything?

Yeah, I'd like to see more of Lollipop. This is the first Android release where I really dig the design, it looks very polished. OS design and fluidity has always been the thing that held me back from Android. If they nail this then I've got some options in the future instead of always sticking with iOS.

I just came when I saw the OS being confirmed for the Nexus 4. And to think, all the speculation about how Lollipop wasn't coming anywhere near the damn thing.

i welcome the new Lollipop overlords, fuck yes i hope sony updates the Xperia Z line quickly and the very least Z1 gets some love. dont wanna go custom ROM just yet

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Lollipop definitely looks ace. Finally, Google is bringing some fluidity, and sweet animations that didn't seem right in previous iterations.
Can't wait to try that on my Nexus 5. Nexus 6 looks phenomenal, but that price... Don't know what to do.

mturco

For those of you asking for more images of the new Lollipop design (called Material Design), here are some sample images from Google's design guidelines. Note that these aren't real apps but are meant to illustrate how Material Design apps should look.

Sample Apps
style-typography-8_large_mdpi.png
style-typography2_large_mdpi.png
style-typography4_large_mdpi.png

style-typography5_large_mdpi.png
style-typography6_large_mdpi.png
style-typography7_large_mdpi.png

style-typography11_large_mdpi.png
style-typography15_large_mdpi.png
style-imagery-integration-typetreatment3do_large_mdpi.png

style-imagery-integration-imagetypegallerya_large_mdpi.png
patterns-selection-selection-textfields_select_11a_large_mdpi.png
patterns-search-persistentsearch2-search_persistent_zero_large_mdpi.png

Icons:

Animations

Real Material Design Apps
Google Play Newsstand
nexus2cee_Screenshot_2014-10-02-11-55-03.png
nexus2cee_Screenshot_2014-10-02-11-55-29.png

Google+ / Photos
nexus2cee_Screenshot_2014-10-03-12-26-15.png
nexus2cee_Screenshot_2014-10-03-12-28-031.png

Google Play Store
nexus2cee_wm_Screenshot_2014-10-09-18-06-14.jpg
nexusae0_Screenshot_2014-07-22-16-16-57.png

Narrate
biywRpiReMTc8z-W6xni2qavmQOjMqhniKu8C2WR4F1_xfDZ5oPflBaWI8Xm4lxHPA=h900-rw
RhFfC_1fhy1DPC5B_e28x6bEabwzkyTHokpSVOZ-YDcIuRf8iri1mqhx3J4IQu4orKdw=h900-rw

Simple Weather
14%2B-%2B3

J.Todo
tdnWyU5vVpLareuNfJw9ydy4IqKNHEtbOPmN4wHs4r_hi4i5L0NmEXWTlr32jqrmuYw=h900-rw

Today Calendar Pro
mWL_fwvU_Fd7QTTRDGYXj4rejIlTWCzzoeTNtbTbopNjFM1ggqJd5YVCwpfV_KyFKvA=h900-rw
1aWVnSQOSABT5v7KCyf75g0s0zfZQQQsSFqUqz2PF35PGGcvWfIpg36-9E9mCPCIqmI=h900-rw

SimleuqiR

ART, an entirely new Android runtime, improves application performance and responsiveness
Up to 4x performance improvements

So, 4x performance improvements...what's the current implementation of ART doing in performance...20%?

Top Bottom