• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Awesome :D Can't wait till my Moto X gets it.

It's going to be a long fucking wait
rage.gif

reKon

Banned
The best news about today is Android L is coming soon and I'll be able to get this baby on my Nexus 7!

Nexus 9 pricing has me disappointed. I want an LTE version for sure, but I won't even think about about spending any money of that until I can find it for around $350 or under. That will either happen in 6-8 months or it will only go down to $400 :(

Staab

I'm saying this as a good thing, but they seem to have taken some inspiration from the Metro UI, I really like it.

Majine

Banned
I'm saying this as a good thing, but they seem to have taken some inspiration from the Metro UI, I really like it.

I think Google (and Apple) are using the clean, minimal design way better than Microsoft, by giving context with the moving panes.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
And it still won't work. I gave up on that feature after 10 minutes of "OH-KAY google. OKEH GOOGLE. fuck..."

On the LG G2 you can't have the 'OK Google enabled anywhere' option checked or your alarm will auto snooze and you can't take videos in 'normal' mode.

I think the Moto G is the best tech purchase I've made in years. Amazing phone at an amazing price with constant updates. It gets updates earlier than all the expensive Sony and Samsung flagship phones.
I've noticed mine starting to get a bit slow. But still Motorola has really earned my custom in the future.

DarkFlow

Banned
So my Nexus 7 should get this update sometime in Nov I'm guessing, and my Note 3 on AT&T sometime in 2015 if I'm lucky.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I hope it fixes the audio levels. I need to crank my stereo if I'm using an aux port with my nexus 5 and headphone jack.

Kemal86

As an iOS user, the only think that makes me truly jealous is multiple user accounts per phone. I wish my iPad had that.

Google: The New "Messenger" App In Android 5.0 Is A Stock SMS/MMS Solution, Not A Hangouts Replacement / Rebrand

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-solution-not-a-hangouts-replacement-rebrand/

:(
Wohoo! Music to my ears, having hangouts do sms was probably the worst part of KitKat. A phone os should have a strong sms integration, this is as important as being able to easily make phone calls. Haven't used that many different smartphones, but the way the first Galaxy did it for example was perfect.

I'm starting to think it's time to abandon Hangouts. I only know two people that use it and Google is unable to figure out the monumental hurdle of having SMS/MMS sync onto other devices (PC, tablet, etc.). Oh wait, even fucking Apple has. :|

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does Googles default messaging app finally handle group texts correctly or is it still wonky? If it is, I'm going to stick to 8sms...

I've had a group text going for about a year with my wife and kids in google hangouts no problems for me. Or is google hangouts not the default messaging app?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google: The New "Messenger" App In Android 5.0 Is A Stock SMS/MMS Solution, Not A Hangouts Replacement / Rebrand

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-solution-not-a-hangouts-replacement-rebrand/

:(

What the fuck? So they're going back to having several apps that do the same thing? Most stupid thing I've heard all day. There was so much complaining that the various messaging options were spread out over several apps, so they unified them in Hangouts. And now they're going back to how it was before (except that Hangouts can still do SMS/MMS as well)? SMH. Fix Hangouts instead, or bring Hangouts messaging into the new/old app. This is just stupid.

DietRob

What the fuck? So they're going back to having several apps that do the same thing? Most stupid thing I've heard today. There was so much complaining that Google's different messaging protocols were spread out over several apps, so they unified them in Hangouts. And now they're going back to how it was before (except that Hangouts can still do SMS/MMS as well)? SMH. Fix Hangouts instead, or bring Hangouts messaging into the new/old app. This is just stupid.

Personally I like that I can do everything from Hangouts now. I hope I have the option of just ignoring this new tool.

Man, still don't want phone to get. Xperia Z3 is what I was waiting for, but Sony kind stinks when it comes updating their phones. I was also considering the moto x, but that's carrier exclusive here in Canada which bullshit. I'm still also considering a Nexus 5.

I currently have a xperia sp which has gotten really shitty and Sony is no longer updating it.

I've had a group text going for about a year with my wife and kids in google hangouts no problems for me. Or is google hangouts not the default messaging app?

I meant before they had Hangouts. The old default that they're bringing back didn't handle group chats (at least on my GS2 it didn't). It would basically send me messages separately and I couldn't respond to the whole group at once

DietRob

I meant before they had Hangouts. The old default that they're bringing back didn't handle group chats (at least on my GS2 it didn't). It would basically send me messages separately and I couldn't respond to the whole group at once

Oh sorry. I'm really not sure. I ditched the old messaging app as soon as I could for hangouts.

I only had problems at the very beginning because of Google not merging duplicate contacts (Phone + Google) well. Once I manually added all my phone information to my Google Contacts and deleted the phone portion (which HTC or AT&T seem intent on me using), everything was fine.

Now I only add contact information through Google Contacts. Google should've made that the default instead of reintroducing a standalone SMS app. This seems like it'll only ensure the problems some still have with Hangouts persist.

I only had problems at the very beginning because of Google not merging duplicate contacts (Phone + Google) well. Once I manually added all my phone information to my Google Contacts and deleted the phone portion (which HTC or AT&T seem intent on me using), everything was fine.

Now I only add contact information through Google Contacts. Google should've made that the default instead of reintroducing a standalone SMS app. This seems like it'll only ensure the problems some still have with Hangouts persist.

I think as long as the contacts all merge it shouldn't be a problem. I'm like you, I exclusively just add people through Google Contacts

The Material Design version of the Play Store came out over the weekend (version 5.0.31) and mannnnn I find it pretty impressive. It didn't revolutionize anything like that, but damn does it look nice.

I am all for welcoming our Lollipop overlords. I loved the Holo design because of its simple yet sleek and dat blue. Material is pretty much the complete opposite, with all sorts of colors but it all meshes together really well. And that combination of that grayish color and the green that you've seen on the Material Keyboard, I love it. It looks sharp. I even downloaded similar color themes for both my Twitter and texting apps (Talon and Evolve).

3phemeral

I love that Google took Motorola's best "always listening" feature and implemented it as native for Android L. Greatest thing about the Moto X and it'll only get better as Google Now gets smarter. Not only that, but it should work faster than Moto X's implementation too.

I wonder how 5.0 will run on the Nexus 4? Even though I'm planning on upgrading to the Nexus 6, I would still like to keep my Nexus 4 around as a backup phone.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I wonder how 5.0 will run on the Nexus 4? Even though I'm planning on upgrading to the Nexus 6, I would still like to keep my Nexus 4 around as a backup phone.

If Moto G and Moto X first gen can run it then I'm pretty sure Nexus 4 can do it fine since Nexus 4 has S4 Pro which is better than Moto G's CPU and on par with Moto X's CPU.

I really love the look of stock Android 5, but I'm sure that LG isn't going to give my G3 a non-skinned version. I really didn't want to root and install custom ROM on this phone, because I really love with LG has done with their OS skin, but I may have to when it gets released.

Top Bottom