• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

tm24

Loving it so far. The only ting i miss is Xposed and being able to use the use media keys to skip module for it

Soodanim

My Nexus 4 finally got the Google Play Services update that allows locations to be used for smart unlocking. It's SO much better not having to use my PIN or try and get the face recognition to work. When I woke up this morning I had to put my PIN in, but that's the only time so far.

What's the latest on rollouts? I know they halted some of them.

Finally caved had factory reset my n5. God lollipop was running like ass before, much better now, though there are still quite a few design decisions I dislike. Have yet to see any battery life improvement as well

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My Nexus 4 finally got the Google Play Services update that allows locations to be used for smart unlocking. It's SO much better not having to use my PIN or try and get the face recognition to work. When I woke up this morning I had to put my PIN in, but that's the only time so far.

Yep, it's pretty sweet, has been working really well for me. I do have to unlock using my pattern every once in a while (often seems to be when I take the phone off the charger, but I don't know if it's actually related to that), but most of the time it correctly keeps my phone unlocked at/near my home and work, and locked elsewhere.

roddur

After updating to lolipop i'm having an issue. the voicemail icon remains in notification bar even if there's no voicemail to check.

anyone having this problem?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
After updating to lolipop i'm having an issue. the voicemail icon remains in notification bar even if there's no voicemail to check.

anyone having this problem?

LOL, I have this issue with 4.4.4 on the Moto G.

thenexus6

Sometimes I turn off my phone then back on to shut down all apps and start from scratch, however i've noticed when I switch it back on all the apps are still open in multi tasking, how does that work?

If you have WiFi off as a profile setting for when youre out, how do you make it turn back on and auto connect when you arrive back home?

Aka

Turn off WiFi trigger activates for when you leave your home network.

The trigger to activate "home" profile is connecting to the home WiFi, but your "going out" profile turned wifi off.

If you have WiFi off as a profile setting for when youre out, how do you make it turn back on and auto connect when you arrive back home?

Aka

Turn off WiFi trigger activates for when you leave your home network.

The trigger to activate "home" profile is connecting to the home WiFi, but your "going out" profile turned wifi off.

Can you trigger it based on which cell tower the phone connects to?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looks like chrome, maps, and messages were all updated for me. Chrome seems faster and in messages you can change contact bubble colors now.

Sch1sm

Looks like chrome, maps, and messages were all updated for me. Chrome seems faster and in messages you can change contact bubble colors now.

Animation for messenger is gone, too. Haven't taken a look at Maps yet at all but Chrome is smooth for me, as well. Didn't look too much into all the updates but New & Weather has the option for Dark Theme now, for all those praying for Material Dark in their lives. Aside from that everything seems to be bug fixes and the like. Generic maintenance. Music is something.
When's Hangouts getting material love, though? I liked that app, genuinely. But I love Messenger's simplicity.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sometimes I turn off my phone then back on to shut down all apps and start from scratch, however i've noticed when I switch it back on all the apps are still open in multi tasking, how does that work?

That's actually just a list of recently used apps, not running ones. Some might be running, others might not be. And with Lollipop that list is preserved through reboots. Doesn't mean anything more than "here's what you've been doing recently".

whitehawk

Banned
I'm starting to think the notification bar in kit kat was MUCH better. Just the way it responds to your finger when you slide it down. In 5.0 you are actually sliding something down from the screen. I liked in 4.4 it was more like the notifications were already there, and you were just revealing the hidding layer by swiping a special glass down from the top. The notifications didn't move at all, you were just revealing them. Plus I don't know how to make notifications bigger now without revealing the larger menu. the flashlight is nice to be built in, but I already had an app for that that would stay at the top of the notification bar.

Husker86

I'm starting to think the notification bar in kit kat was MUCH better. Just the way it responds to your finger when you slide it down. In 5.0 you are actually sliding something down from the screen. I liked in 4.4 it was more like the notifications were already there, and you were just revealing the hidding layer by swiping a special glass down from the top. The notifications didn't move at all, you were just revealing them. Plus I don't know how to make notifications bigger now without revealing the larger menu. the flashlight is nice to be built in, but I already had an app for that that would stay at the top of the notification bar.
I hate all persistent notifications, so I'm very glad that they finally built a flashlight widget into the OS.

I kinda agree with you on liking KitKat notification menu better, though.

I do, however, like the new pop-up notifications in Lollipop.

Sch1sm

I hate all persistent notifications, so I'm very glad that they finally built a flashlight widget into the OS.

I kinda agree with you on liking KitKat notification menu better, though.

I do, however, like the new pop-up notifications in Lollipop.

It was just so much more natural to swipe down for notifications then across rather than down twice (if using one hand) or with two fingers. Other than that I'm fond of Lollipop's take on it. Aside from how weird it looks when you pull down notifications in portrait. Size of the centre doesn't change whatsoever with orientation.

Husker86

It was just so much more natural to swipe down for notifications then across rather than down twice (if using one hand) or with two fingers. Other than that I'm fond of Lollipop's take on it. Aside from how weird it looks when you pull down notifications in portrait. Size of the centre doesn't change whatsoever with orientation.

I've gotten used to tapping the top to expand the quick settings. Made me dislike it a little less.

alatif113

Anyone else getting wonky gps location on maps? Like it will take forever to get my location and once it does and i start using navigation, the map has a hard time keeping up with me. (the arrow corresponding to my location lags behind my actual location)

bms2993

Banned
I can't wait for the Samsung's Lollipop update for the Galaxy S5. Hope it brings tons of new features to the table. Apparently they say it will release in December.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Finally got the update a couple days ago.

I'm pretty impressed with it although it has affected my boot-up time marginally

Worth it for the startup show, I love the final bit of the startup where the animation spells out android in google colours ^_^

Ze10Box-dP--FkgktAcHerHgUHtqP8Qw8N55Dmkd-s6COKLs7LZ8LMyAGYvwueGitmGz=h900

Noema

anybody with boost moto g?

Anybody with a 2013 Moto G at all? I saw some pictures of people in India getting 5.0 for the XT1033 (dual SIM version), but I am still to get confirmation of anyone with a XT1032 already with the update. I'm pretty sure Moto has sent the ROM to the carriers but they'll probably take their sweet ass time.

This wait is killing me.

Top Bottom