• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Yeah that doesn't sound right. I just turn on the screen and then I see notices/emails/etc on the still locked screen. Maybe try rebooting like RoadHazard mentioned

RoadHazard

Gold Member
only the LED glows, then I press the button, then I unlock, then the pattern, and then I see the icons up in the notification bar

That's not right. Check the setting for lock screen notification content under Sound and Notifications (I think that's what the section is called, my phone is set to Swedish), one of the options there is to not display any notifications at all when the phone is locked.

I like 5.0 but it does feel, slower on nexus 4. Especially the app tray. When you open it and touch one it takes a good second or two to switch over.

Especially chrome to Puzzle and Dragons. That can be excruciating. Otherwise I like it.

sca2511

I like 5.0 but it does feel, slower on nexus 4. Especially the app tray. When you open it and touch one it takes a good second or two to switch over.

Especially chrome to Puzzle and Dragons. That can be excruciating. Otherwise I like it.

Strange, I've only used it for one full day, but opening up the app tray didn't feel sluggish. On that topic, battery seemed to be better, lasting me from around 11:30AM - 5:30-6PM. I don't have screenshots (battery died before I could take them), but I believe I had around 1h 30m screen on time.

WEGGLES

My nexus 4 just got 5.0. It's been installing for 3 hours. What gives. Most of the time spent booting. I get that it's converting from Dalvik to ART, but it's my dev phone. There aren't many apps on it in the first place.

EDIT: apparently I'm stuck and may have to factory reset, meaning I lose all my pics? What the fuck! That's fucking garbage.

Ive had Lollipop for a good week now and there are clearly some bugs that are irritating to say the least.

The afformentioned refresh of the launcher everytime you press the home button, and many of my podcast/streaming apps have become buggy as well. Maybe it's just those particular apps but still. The app launcher being slow is particularly grating, as I have a Nexus 5.

Chrome keeps crashing as well. Hopefully 5.0.1 is on the horizon soon.

fury

Got my OTA update yesterday. Liking everything so far, except that I can no longer switch tabs in Chrome by swiping on the address bar. Really hope they add that back.

My nexus 4 just got 5.0. It's been installing for 3 hours. What gives. Most of the time spent booting. I get that it's converting from Dalvik to ART, but it's my dev phone. There aren't many apps on it in the first place.

EDIT: apparently I'm stuck and may have to factory reset, meaning I lose all my pics? What the fuck! That's fucking garbage.
Mine did that I turned it off and on and it started up again. I was freaking out, too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ive had Lollipop for a good week now and there are clearly some bugs that are irritating to say the least.

The afformentioned refresh of the launcher everytime you press the home button, and many of my podcast/streaming apps have become buggy as well. Maybe it's just those particular apps but still. The app launcher being slow is particularly grating, as I have a Nexus 5.

Chrome keeps crashing as well. Hopefully 5.0.1 is on the horizon soon.

I literally have zero of your issues on my N5. Zero. OK, the launcher might occasionally refresh when I press Home (memory isn't infinite, after all), but it's very, very rare. Happened a lot more on KK than it does now. If it happens every time you've been in any app, something is definitely wrong.

Slow app launcher? Are we taking about the same refreshing issue again, or general performance? Either way, not here. The launcher is incredibly smooth, I've hardly ever seen a single hitch or lag.

And nope, no Chrome crashes here. Like, I don't think I've had a single one.

So I don't know what to tell you, except that I did a clean flash of Lollipop on my phone and maybe you should factory reset yours. I agree that shouldn't be necessary, but what you're describing absolutely is not normal.

Noema

This problem with the launcher redrawing every time you spend some time in an app and go back to it is getting god damn ridiculous. It's seriously making me consider going back to KitKat.

This already happens all the time to me on my Moto G running 4.4.4. The Moto G only has 1GB of RAM so it's surprising to read that's happening on devices with more RAM that run Lollipop.

I fear my Moto G will turn into an unusable mess with 5.0. I love Android but it's such a memory hog.

Husker86

I literally have zero of your issues on my N5. Zero. OK, the launcher might occasionally refresh when I press Home (memory isn't infinite, after all), but it's very, very rare. Happened a lot more on KK than it does now. If it happens every time you've been in any app, something is definitely wrong.

Slow app launcher? Are we taking about the same refreshing issue again, or general performance? Either way, not here. The launcher is incredibly smooth, I've hardly ever seen a single hitch or lag.

And nope, no Chrome crashes here. Like, I don't think I've had a single one.

So I don't know what to tell you, except that I did a clean flash of Lollipop on my phone and maybe you should factory reset yours. I agree that shouldn't be necessary, but what you're describing absolutely is not normal.

Enough people are having similar issues for me to believe that it's not a random bug.

I did a fresh install as well and it's just as bad as the dev preview (which I also did a fresh install) as far as the memory fuckups go.

Even All About Android hosts complain about it and while I like them, they are usually very, umm...lenient with Android issues.

I switched to my iPhone 6 until 5.0.1 comes out. Though restarting it a couple times a day probably alleviates most of the issues, but it annoys me to have to do that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Enough people are having similar issues for me to believe that it's not a random bug.

I did a fresh install as well and it's just as bad as the dev preview (which I also did a fresh install) as far as the memory fuckups go.

Even All About Android hosts complain about it and while I like them, they are usually very, umm...lenient with Android issues.

I switched to my iPhone 6 until 5.0.1 comes out. Though restarting it a couple times a day probably alleviates most of the issues, but it annoys me to have to do that.

Well, it's weird how identical software on identical hardware can yield such disparate results. Maybe certain apps cause this. Or did you start experiencing it right away? I didn't restore any apps after flashing, but set it up as a new phone and manually installed the stuff I needed.

Husker86

Well, it's weird how identical software on identical hardware can yield such disparate results. Maybe certain apps cause this. Or did you start experiencing it right away? I didn't restore any apps after flashing, but set it up as a new phone and manually installed the stuff I needed.

I had it restore apps, and I do have quite a few. I don't use them all daily, though.

Individual apps run fine, it's just the launcher refresh that's annoying as hell. I had it on Kit Kat, too, though not as frequently (it was still not an uncommon occurrence, though). This is also across two Nexus 5s. I sent my launch unit in to be replaced because of a loose sounding vibration motor and got my replacement a couple of months ago.

Can you try to pay attention for tomorrow and try to guess how many launcher refreshes you get?

If I were to guess, I would say that several hours after my last restart, launcher refresh happens more than half the time when hitting the home button. This is also usually after being in Clash of Clans, which I understand takes up some memory, but it's still unacceptable.

No matter how little it happens to others, I think Google needs to completely exempt the launcher from ever being removed from memory.

KarmaCow

Is there anyway to rearrange or pin different notifications? In KK, Notification Weather would always stay at the top of the notification pane but now things like Pocket Casts will push it down, sometimes forcing it into the minimized mode that displays less information. There was an option within the app that offers maximize priority but it doesn't seem to do anything, or at least Pocket Casts will override it.

It took me a bit to figure out how to resize notifications in Lollipop (you need pinch it to shrink since swiping up on it will just move the entire notification pane, which is annoying), but I would like to have Notification Weather maximized and at the top all the time.

WEGGLES

Mine did that I turned it off and on and it started up again. I was freaking out, too.

Ah. it took a couple reboots but I got there eventually. Thanks! I figured from the bit of googling I did I was screwed.

It's still a shitty experience to have with an official update from Google on a stock phone that hasn't been rooted or anything like that.

It also highly depends on the time of day, I noticed. Sometimes it is incredibly smooth, and then it would just randomly give me the launcher refresh issue. Maybe it has something to do with the RAM refresh, I don't know.

And the afformentioned buggy apps tend to resolve themselves after some time as well, and when I restart it. I love Lollipop though, don't get me wrong, but if someone who doesnt know anything about tech experiences a buggy experience from time to time, especially compared to ios8 (which has its issues but Apple seems to be better at hiding them), then it's a big problem for Google and Lollipop.

akGCO47

Banned
Got Android L on my Nexus 5, has anybody else encountered these problems:
- Chrome crashing
- At random time there is an explanation mark on phone signal bar (But I can send/receive texts fine)
- Taking picture destroys the battery
- Haven't noticed any battery life improvements
- Getting Google Hangout notification 30 or so minutes later at times

Sch1sm

- Chrome crashing
- At random time there is an explanation mark on phone signal bar (But I can send/receive texts fine)

• Hasn't happened to me. o:
  • Yeah, I noticed that. But I mostly get it when it's connecting, so generally when I've just gotten to work or school, or I've reached a subway station that's outdoors enough there's service.
  • Eh. How many pictures? Saturday night I spent 3 hours just doing that and videos at a concert and I still made it home after a full day of no extra charging.
  • Battery life will improve as apps optimize for 5.0
  • I've switched over to Messenger completely, so I have no idea.

npa189

So what was the point of buying a google play device? Seems they bit off more than they could chew as OEMs are getting updates out faster than google now. Switching between 5.0 on my Nexus 6 and 4.4 on my G pad GPE kinda sucks.

thenexus6

- Chrome crashing

Pretty much all this, I have settings and many apps crash time to time.

yyzjohn

Banned
I wish I had not updated, Chrome on my Nexus 5 constantly crashes now, how long does Google take to fix issues like that?

Do you usually have a lot of tabs opened? I haven't noticed Chrome crashing, but then again I'm not a heavy user, I browse lightly on the phone. I installed clean though, didn't update, maybe a fresh install with factory image?

Do you usually have a lot of tabs opened? I haven't noticed Chrome crashing, but then again I'm not a heavy user, I browse lightly on the phone. I installed clean though, didn't update, maybe a fresh install with factory image?

It happens both times, with little tabs and many tabs.

It always happens when I try to type in a field, like the keyboard has an issue or something, at first I thought it was the google keyboard so I installed Swiftkey, but same issue.

I might have to do a fresh install, thanks for the tip, so sad that it comes to this, I bought the Nexus because I didnt want to have to tinker with anything, I got so fed up of trying to fix issues by myself on my previous Samsung phones.

I didnt even force the upgrade, I just did it when it became available to my phone.

Hasney

I'm afraid tinkering is just the way it is with all smartphones in my experience. Remember the upgrade to iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 just destroying my battery and having to install that clean as well. Never had a phone I hadn't had to do a little minor tinkering with.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It happens both times, with little tabs and many tabs.

It always happens when I try to type in a field, like the keyboard has an issue or something, at first I thought it was the google keyboard so I installed Swiftkey, but same issue.

I might have to do a fresh install, thanks for the tip, so sad that it comes to this, I bought the Nexus because I didnt want to have to tinker with anything, I got so fed up of trying to fix issues by myself on my previous Samsung phones.

I didnt even force the upgrade, I just did it when it became available to my phone.

For what it's worth I haven't had a single Chrome crash as far as I can recall, and I did do a clean flash. Sucks that just updating doesn't seem to be working out so well for some, but yeah.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Has anyone on the Sprint network got an OTA update yet?

What phone?

I'm waiting on OTA for Moto X (2013) model. I understand I'll likely be waiting a while.

Guys, can I get confirmation on whether or not I should encrypt my Nexus 4 using the option in the security menu?

I hear it takes a toll on performance, but if that isn't the case then I'll gladly do it.

Thanks

Husker86

Guys, can I get confirmation on whether or not I should encrypt my Nexus 4 using the option in the security menu?

I hear it takes a toll on performance, but if that isn't the case then I'll gladly do it.

Thanks

It will have an effect on performance since it will be software based. I think someone said the Nexus 9 is currently the only (nexus) device that supports hardware encryption.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Thanks

Why do you want to do it? As long as your phone is locked and USB debugging isn't enabled your data is safe (you can't access the data from a computer if the phone is locked), save for someone physically removing the internal memory chip and extracting what's on it. And that's obviously not something your average Joe can do. So unless you have some very sensitive data on there that absolutely cannot end up in the hands of the government (or whatever) I don't really see the point.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Download from here and sideload it following their guide. On Fedora install the android-tools package to get adb and don't forget to use 'sudo adb' instead of just 'adb'.
This was a while back, but I finally had time (and bandwidth) to grab this update. The only thing missing in your instructions was to ensure that I had developer access set up (i.e. tapping on "Build Version" in the "About Device" section). After that, flash and then sweat a bit while it took 20 minutes to fully reboot. :)

Thanks, Massa!

Josman

Wait, has the Moto G (2nd gen) update been released? I checked for updates and it says it's up to date with Kit Kat 4.4.4

Sch1sm

Wait, has the Moto G (2nd gen) update been released? I checked for updates and it says it's up to date with Kit Kat 4.4.4

Yeah, it has. Just give it time.

E: Think about the poor Nexus users who've yet to get the update.
Looking at you AngmarsKing.

Top Bottom