• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Just got the Lollipop update on my Verizon 2014 Moto X! I figured it would be at least another couple weeks before we got it on Verizon. Very nice looking and smooth. I'm absolutely in love with the new Notification shade and task switchers.

Reseil

Got impatient waiting for update on unlocked rooted Nexus 7 2013 WiFi. Grabbed WUGS Root Toolkit 1.9.8 and did some quick homework to see if anything has changed.

Apparently you can sideload the update manually and not have to start over, but always prefer to start from scratch with new versions personally.

Did the restore to factory with the 5.0 build and then re-rooted it in about 30 mins. Haven't re-installed everything, but tablet is stable.

Note that I only have success with the PDA Net drivers when using WUGS and Win7 for the Nexus 7. The toolkit supports lots of devices, so check it out if you are still waiting on your update.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Is there an app or something I can use to turn vibrate on and off easily? That's the most frustrating thing about this upgrade. I always turn vibrate off at night or when at work and now I can't :(

(Nexus 5 here)

Hasney

Is there an app or something I can use to turn vibrate on and off easily? That's the most frustrating thing about this upgrade. I always turn vibrate off at night or when at work and now I can't :(

(Nexus 5 here)

Either switch to priority mode so no notifications come through anyway, unless you set up a notification as priority (volume button will bring up the option), or download Do Not Disturb.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Either switch to priority mode so no notifications come through anyway, unless you set up a notification as priority (volume button will bring up the option), or download Do Not Disturb.

I played with the priority stuff when I first got it but I still want the notifications, just not the vibrating. I'll give the app a go, cheers!

This problem with the launcher redrawing every time you spend some time in an app and go back to it is getting god damn ridiculous. It's seriously making me consider going back to KitKat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This problem with the launcher redrawing every time you spend some time in an app and go back to it is getting god damn ridiculous. It's seriously making me consider going back to KitKat.

Weird, I feel like that's happening a lot less often in L than it did in KK.

EDIT: Nexus 5 here.

Syntsui

Again guys, any easy way to remove mail voice icon from the notification tab?

On Kit Kat I just had to hold it pressed and it showed the apps information and I could deleted the cache. Now it doesn't work and I have to go all the to the apps screen, search for the Phone App and do it from there.

Got the lollipop update last night for my nexus 4.

Seems sweet so far with the battery info changes and so. Like that the brightness setting is more front and center. never fiddled with that one before.

I thought nexus devices had the perk of getting updates first. Nexus 7 2013 UK still waiting.

N7 2013 here in the US. Still waiting. Of course given the various reports of this bug and that bug, I suppose waiting isn't the worst thing.

It's not like I'm starving myself waiting.

Hasney

Loving that I'm getting daily builds of this unofficial CM12 build for the S4 with Lollipop. Only real bugs left in it is the Bluetooth audio streaming and they haven't got NFC working. Other than that, now the WiFi battery drain is gone, it's glorious.

Smart lock based on both my face or location is fantastic.

Jak140

If you have unlocked your bootloader, I followed this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/how-to-download-flash-android-5-0-t2937941

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me, so I followed this work around

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-error-update-package-missing-system-img-android-5-0-factory-images-nexus-devices-1474865

As far as I can tell I lost nothing during the update, all my apps, settings and everything else was still there. It is pretty simple although I am comfortable using the command line all the instructions are easy to follow and it worked flawlessly. Better than all the hassle going back to stock and all that nonsense.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a shot when I have the time to screw around with it.

Hasney

Was the misc battery drain resolved in official builds? Seems to be an issue on the current CM12 build I'm on.

Looks like mine is actually still there, started hitting after a reboot. Think CM12 is sti;; using the original 5.0 base, so it's not fixed.

On Kit Kat I just had to hold it pressed and it showed the apps information and I could deleted the cache. Now it doesn't work and I have to go all the to the apps screen, search for the Phone App and do it from there.
Still waiting for this too

vwnut13

Enable Developer Options. Press and Hold app icon in recent apps.

You need the latest version of google services. Then settings > security > smart lock > trusted location.

I got it earlier today, works great.

I feel like I updated that yesterday, google play services, yes? But I still don't have trusted locations.

Nevermind. I had to go into trusted agents, and turn on smart lock.

Edit: do I have to have gps on to use trusted location? That's kinda lame. Should just be able to tell your phone when I'm connected to such and such Wi-Fi network. Use smart lock.

I feel like I updated that yesterday, google play services, yes? But I still don't have trusted locations.

Nevermind. I had to go into trusted agents, and turn on smart lock.

Edit: do I have to have gps on to use trusted location? That's kinda lame. Should just be able to tell your phone when I'm connected to such and such Wi-Fi network. Use smart lock.

You don't have to use GPS, it works when Location mode is set to Battery Saving.

N7 2013 here in the US. Still waiting. Of course given the various reports of this bug and that bug, I suppose waiting isn't the worst thing.

It's not like I'm starving myself waiting.

Hate to leave you alone as my fellow survivor, but it seems I'm out of the group for good now. Update came to my Nexus 4 last night at 22:00 (UK) or so and I'm liking all the design choices so far.

I'm thinking about using the encryption option in the security menu, but I hear this takes a toll on performance.

Has anybody tried this and what security measures can I take? Such as remote access, tracking software to find the phone and so on.

Thanks

trixx

Just updated on my Nexus 4. The power saver mode apparently makes all the ui red. Any other big features I should know about?

I updated on my nexus 4 as well and feel like that was the biggest feature. Other than that, some nice wallpapers, new design to settings/quick settings and chance in how multitask is displaayed.

Hate to leave you alone as my fellow survivor, but it seems I'm out of the group for good now. Update came to my Nexus 4 last night at 22:00 (UK) or so and I'm liking all the design choices so far.

I'm thinking about using the encryption option in the security menu, but I hear this takes a toll on performance.

Has anybody tried this and what security measures can I take? Such as remote access, tracking software to find the phone and so on.

Thanks
No worries. Glad you got it. I'll just hang out over here, by myself, watching all the cool kids.

kris.

Banned
To be fair, I don't even think trusted places is even working for me. I set my home as a location, turned it on, blah blah blah. Still had to unlock it this morning when I woke up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moff

can I somewhere turn on that I see the notification bar again when I have not yet unlocked my phone? really annoys me

I would love to have the unlock gone completely if that's possible, I already have a pattern as screen lock, why would I need both?

I can't say I really like anything about the new update :/
everything looks nice, but usability is worse. best example: the "last apps used" button. yeah it scrolls nicely now but I see fewer and less of them

RoadHazard

Gold Member
can I somewhere turn on that I see the notification bar again when I have not yet unlocked my phone? really annoys me

I would love to have the unlock gone completely if that's possible, I already have a pattern as screen lock, why would I need both?

The answer to both these questions is that you now get notifications on the lock screen.

whitehawk

Banned
Is there a good free camera app that doesn't suck?

I took a few panorama shots and they seem to have just disappeared from my phone. Really annoying. Nexus 4 here.

You sure? It just worked for me. you double click on notices to open them and in doing that the phone. They should pop up as banners in the middle of the screen.

Moff

only the LED glows, then I press the button, then I unlock, then the pattern, and then I see the icons up in the notification bar

Top Bottom