• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

I'm not sure if I have another mini USB cable but I will try it if I find one.

EDIT: I don't think I have another mini USB cable, damn. Any other suggestions?

Other than trying a different USB cable, you might try other USB ports on the computer. I've heard that can make a difference as well.

Doopliss

How's the stock browser on the one x? My girlfriends Sensation got the ICS update last week, although I was saddened to see the browser had none of the cool features on my GN browser. It looked and behaved exactly the same as the GB stock browser.
Tell her to install ICS Browser + from the market. It's the stock browser with a few (optional) tweaks.

You're right in that it's an overrated launcher that you need to pay for in order to get all of its features.

The best launcher of the ICS generation is Apex Launcher, of course.

oh no! paying for software! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

serious question: what features does Apex have that the free version of Nova doesn't?

i really don't know and never bothered to check and just stuck with Trebuchet.

ScOULaris

oh no! paying for software! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

serious question: what features does Apex have that the free version of Nova doesn't?

i really don't know and never bothered to check and just stuck with Trebuchet.

It literally has all of the features of Nova Prime and more. I don't feel like listing them all. Check out the Play Store pages for both of them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You mean kinda sorta like this?

This is the LauncherPro of the ICS generation.

You're right in that it's an overrated launcher that you need to pay for in order to get all of its features.

The best launcher of the ICS generation is Apex Launcher, of course.

Neither does what I am thinking. See they both act like current launchers. They have a 3-7 icon "dock" that can be swiped like a home screen.

But they are both independent and above the 3 on screen buttons which used to be 4 hardware buttons, I call these navigation buttons.

What I was thinking based on the original video shown is that the dock area and the navigation area get combined into the navigation area. Since they show a phone and email button along with the navigation buttons in the navigation area.

rozay

Banned
Neither does what I am thinking. See they both act like current launchers. They have a 3-7 icon "dock" that can be swiped like a home screen.

But they are both independent and above the 3 on screen buttons which used to be 4 hardware buttons, I call these navigation buttons.

What I was thinking based on the original video shown is that the dock area and the navigation area get combined into the navigation area. Since they show a phone and email button along with the navigation buttons in the navigation area.
This isn't doable by a launcher app, my understanding of the softkey modding in your original post is that this has to be hardcoded into the rom itself. Would be interesting if somebody could get it to work the way you mentioned, though I feel like they would clutter the bottom bar when you're in an app.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This isn't doable by a launcher app, my understanding of the softkey modding in your original post is that this has to be hardcoded into the rom itself. Would be interesting if somebody could get it to work the way you mentioned, though I feel like they would clutter the bottom bar when you're in an app.

Ahh I see. So its not skinnable at a user level. I was thinking if it as someone mentioned, going back to a 4-5 key at most by adding phone or something like that which is always good to have. Or scrolling it, so rather than cluttering the 3 button standard bar we can always scroll it left/right for some preset shortcuts.

I'm not sure if I have another mini USB cable but I will try it if I find one.

EDIT: I don't think I have another mini USB cable, damn. Any other suggestions?
There is a thread on xda-developers in the captivate general forum to help you unbrick a soft brick. I know this isn't exactly your problem but you may be able to jumpstart a working upgrade using this reset.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=775911

It literally has all of the features of Nova Prime and more. I don't feel like listing them all. Check out the Play Store pages for both of them.

well, from what i read, they basically have the same features. though, gestures, hiding apps, and dock swipe actions are paid features of Nova prime. and some of the scroll effects too, though i have no idea how many scroll effects in total either has. i guess there really is no reason to pay for Nova Prime.

I'm going to get a new phone, since my contract recently expired. Should I switch carriers from AT&T to Verizon? I really want the Galaxy Nexus, and I think it's only available on Verizon and T-Mobile.

Circle T

I'm going to get a new phone, since my contract recently expired. Should I switch carriers from AT&T to Verison? I really want the Galaxy Nexus, and I think it's only available on Verison and T-Mobile.

Technically, it's only officially available from Verizon in the US. If you buy the unlocked international version, though, it will work just fine on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Sorry we couldn't get your Cappy working :(

Technically, it's only officially available from Verizon in the US. If you buy the unlocked international version, though, it will work just fine on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Sorry we couldn't get your Cappy working :(

Generally if you buy the locked version of the phone then it would be cheaper, right? I'm probably going to make the move to Verizon if that's the case.

It's ok about the Captivate, I didn't really like the phone anyway. It had stupid AT&T restrictions on it.

Cipherr

Samsung Electronics owns 100% of "S-LCD Corporation"

Would be a suprise if the GSIII gets also a SLCD2 display.

I think I would shit a brick. I would soooo be okay with that. The black levels on these new LCD2s are fantastic, and the viewing angles magical. Fuck it, they might even be able to put out a 1080p screen if it was using LCD2 and not AMOLED.

I'm going to get a new phone, since my contract recently expired. Should I switch carriers from AT&T to Verison? I really want the Galaxy Nexus, and I think it's only available on Verison and T-Mobile.

Do you have unlimited data on ATT?

Wait, they just throttled unlimited on ATT to 3GB anyway, so I suppose it doesnt matter. Honestly if you want the Nexus that bad, go ahead and switch to Verizon, wont be much difference in terms of the carrier tbh.

Cipherr

Would you guys recommend any better Android smartphones than the Galaxy Nexus? I'm not really liking the reviews its getting from Amazon Wireless.

We are on the cusp of a few flagship phones coming out for Android. The One X from HTC which will be coming to ATT and Sprint I think(called something like the EVO 4G on Sprint) And the impending Galaxy S3 and LG apparrently has a flagship coming that they claim will rival the upcoming S3 also.

But the Nexus is a great phone. If you can't wait a month or so I would get the Nexus, if not I would grab a One X variant, or wait on the S3.

Circle T

Would you guys recommend any better Android smartphones than the Galaxy Nexus? I'm not really liking the reviews its getting from Amazon Wireless.

Asking that here, you will likely end up with as many different suggestions as you do replies. The Nexus is a very nice phone, and a good deal of AndroidGAF owns one. It doesn't have the most cutting edge hardware specs, but it is a very solid device.

We are on the cusp of a few flagship phones coming out for Android. The One X from HTC which will be coming to ATT and Sprint I think(called something like the EVO 4G on Sprint) And the impending Galaxy S3.

But the Nexus is a great phone. If you can't wait a month or so I would get the Nexus, if not I would grab a One X variant, or wait on the S3.

Yea, that too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

What's important to you in a smartphone?

Do you like having the latest updates*? Do you like large screens? Do you prefer Verizon? What are your thoughts on battery life? Do you need cutting edge hardware? Do you use your phone as a status symbol?

*The 4.0.3/4 rollout has been a bit of a mess but the Galaxy Nexus will get them pretty soon, and will at least get Jelly Bean and probably Key Lime Pie expediently, too.

The HTC One X is apparently coming out on AT&T sometime next month, I'd recommend that over the Galaxy Nexus (better screen, better camera, better design, better CPU/GPU).

ep85

Since you want a Verizon phone you have three options:

Droid Razr Maxx - Outstanding battery life. Sub-HD screen. Don't know when ICS is coming for it (although should be coming soon)

HTC Rezound - 720p screen. Beats integration (if you're into that stuff) only 49.99 on contract. ICS is right around the corner

Galaxy Nexus - 720p screen. Google device, will be supported far longer then the other two (hopefully, Google has been kinda wonky about this lately).

All three are great devices that have their pros and cons. Whichever one you go for will be a significant upgrade from the Craptivate.

Threi

notag
after months and months of naysaying and dissappointment, cm9 gets ported on the infuse...in a day.

still a rough port and a lot of things don't work but wow.

liger05

So, One X owners. What are your impressions from the first few days. Someone in the HTC thread mentions short battery life/laggy touchscreen/grainy video. Can you confirm or deny any of these statements?

Played around with my gf's and I think its dope. Battery life probably could be better but I have the desire HD and compared to that this battery is fine.

Camera is sick but havent shot any video yet. Screen is unreal!!!

I havent noticed any lag at all.

I think at this point I'm either getting a Samsung Note or HTC One X (that is if I can wait for it).

Anyone have any impressions on the Note? It looks like a great phone but it runs Gingerbread. I wish it would have ICS on it.

Donos

I think at this point I'm either getting a Samsung Note or HTC One X (that is if I can wait for it).

Anyone have any impressions on the Note? It looks like a great phone but it runs Gingerbread. I wish it would have ICS on it.

It still looks strange and funny when i see someone speaking with the Note on his/her ear but then again i frequently see tourists running around Berlin making pictures/vids holding their iPad(2) in front of them.

The One X surely will get alot of support from xda and the community so people who want get rid of Sense will get alot of roms to choose.

Father of my gf just got a GSII and wants to sync his Outlook calender with the phone. What's the best way?
I know Kies has a sync feature but it seems to work pretty bad. MyPhoneExplorer seems to be a legit alternative. Is someone here using this app?

And damn, i really still dislike touchwiz more then Sense and Motoblur. What's the chance that Samsung actually improves Touchwiz for the GSIII? Or will it be the ICS/Touchwiz version Samsung is rolling out for the GSII atm? (I guess nobody can answer this right now). Still amazed how thin and light the GS2 is beside my desire hd.

Donos

Also it really seems like physical keyboards are almost dead now that even touchcritics (like i was) got accustomed to touch only input. I wouldn't say no to a nice designed/ flat dualcore phone with a physical keyboard but i guess the keyboard takes to much room to keep it thin with a good battery and good specs. I know that some carriers in the US still have some good (Samsung?) models.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey,
second
Best Galaxy owners, check this out:
OneHanded (Galaxy Note)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jldkU8FcKG4

Also it really seems like physical keyboards are almost dead now that even touchcritics (like i was) got accustomed to touch only input. I wouldn't say no to a nice designed/ flat dualcore phone with a physical keyboard but i guess the keyboard takes to much room to keep it thin with a good battery and good specs. I know that some carriers in the US still have some good (Samsung?) models.
I still hanker after physical keyboards but I've come to realize that what I really miss are the arrow keys. The software keyboard is great and in many ways better that the physical keyboards. Software arrow keys or swiping really sucks. Every phone should have some hardware control for moving the cursor and for scrolling. Trackball, trackpad, track wheel, arrow keys... I don't know which is the best but anything is better that tap and holding on the screen to move by two characters. I actually repurpose the volume keys to serve as arrow keys wherever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom