• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
International
Best Galaxy has just what you want ;)

yaHoB.jpg

Ahhh yeah. Nice hardware, though I am going to make the obvious comment that it's a monster.

I find my Galaxy Nexus bordering on the extremely of how far I can stretch my fingers when using it one handed.

Been wondering...do the stock ICS roms out for the Galaxy Note support the S-Pen?

And how useful is it really day-to-day?

Do you find yourself using it all the time, sparingly, or just for novelty with friends?

Circle T

Ahhh yeah. Nice hardware, though I am going to make the obvious comment that it's a monster.

I find my Galaxy Nexus bordering on the extremely of how far I can stretch my fingers when using it one handed.
It is big, for sure, but it does run exceptionally well, HD resolution and all.

Been wondering...do the stock ICS roms out for the Galaxy Note support the S-Pen?

And how useful is it really day-to-day?

Do you find yourself using it all the time, sparingly, or just for novelty with friends?

Nope. S-Pen usage, and all the associated apps, are built in to the framework of TouchWiz. So, unless someone goes to the trouble of extracting them, the pen is nothing more than a pointer. Relating to that, however, if you run your Galaxy Note in "Tablet" mode, by adjusting the DPI, you can use the S-Pen as a mouse. When you hover it over the screen, an actual mouse cursor will appear, and you can do hover gestures on web pages and such, and click items. So, it isn't totally useless.

As for the S-Pen in day to day, I never really use mine. It works pretty well in some games, as the pen is much smaller than a finger, and thus doesn't cover up as much of the screen. To me, though, as I mentioned to sionyboy, it was always just a big, slightly faster GSII with a sweet screen. The stock ICS ROM I'm using for it is excellent, and runs very well, and the S-Pen is hardly missed, personally.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My galaxy S is driving me INSANEEEEEEEEEE. Jesus Christ I want to kill someone. Anyone know why when on forms (for example when you're typing a reply on GAF or sending an e-mail with hotmail in the browser) you can't scroll all the way down in it? If the cursor is not at the bottom end anymore it's IMPOSSIBLE to get it back there. Is this an Android or Samsung bug? It's been this way since I bought it but today I almost threw my phone against the wall because of it

I want to open my One X since it's probably not an issue anymore but I'm waiting till I get rid of the Galaxy :/
No one? Is this a universal issue, or just with me? Seems pretty fucked up if it's just accepted

gcubed

No one? Is this a universal issue, or just with me? Seems pretty fucked up if it's just accepted

the older browser had some ... quirks... when hitting certain forms on certain pages. These are generally fixed in both ICS browser and Chrome. I had ALL kinds of problems with secondapps forum posting on gingerbread. I think the new secondapps site (http://www.secondapps.com/mockup) does something different and its better

Decided to finally move on from the stock ROM on my Epic4G and installed CM9 last night. I feel like an idiot for not trying out other ROMs sooner. CM9 is pretty damn fast and I'm really surprised how much better everything is now. It honestly feels like I got a new phone. This should hold me over until I upgrade later in the year once all the newer phones (mainly Galaxy S3) are revealed.

Decided to finally move on from the stock ROM on my Epic4G and installed CM9 last night. I feel like an idiot for not trying out other ROMs sooner. CM9 is pretty damn fast and I'm really surprised how much better everything is now. It honestly feels like I got a new phone. This should hold me over until I upgrade later in the year once all the newer phones (mainly Galaxy S3) are revealed.

yeah, CM9 Beta 2 on the Epic 4G is pretty sweet.

Blackhead

Redarse
It is big, for sure, but it does run exceptionally well, HD resolution and all.

Nope. S-Pen usage, and all the associated apps, are built in to the framework of TouchWiz. So, unless someone goes to the trouble of extracting them, the pen is nothing more than a pointer. Relating to that, however, if you run your Galaxy Note in "Tablet" mode, by adjusting the DPI, you can use the S-Pen as a mouse. When you hover it over the screen, an actual mouse cursor will appear, and you can do hover gestures on web pages and such, and click items. So, it isn't totally useless.

As for the S-Pen in day to day, I never really use mine. It works pretty well in some games, as the pen is much smaller than a finger, and thus doesn't cover up as much of the screen. To me, though, as I mentioned to sionyboy, it was always just a big, slightly faster GSII with a sweet screen. The stock ICS ROM I'm using for it is excellent, and runs very well, and the S-Pen is hardly missed, personally.

What?! How?! Amazing. Maybe I should get a note :|

Alchemy

This might be a bit weird, but does anyone know an easy way to toggle webtop on and off when dropping a phone (in my case the Bionic) into the lapdock? I want to use the keyboard, trackpad, screen, and battery but I want to just have the phone display over HDMI instead of booting up webtop most of the time. I imagine if I froze the webtop application using Titanium Backup I could get this functionality but that seems like a bit of a pain, and I don't want to completely kill the ability to run webtop.

My biggest issue is how slow the phone is while running webtop compared to normal. Even SNES roms chug while webtop is up, but they work fine over HDMI on my TV. I need to play with this some more when I get home from work.

Circle T

What?! How?! Amazing. Maybe I should get a note :|

You can change it manually in the build.prop if you're adventurous, or you can get LCD Density Modder and switch it with that. If you drop the density below 213 in stock ICS, it switches to tablet mode. It can get a bit wonky, as some apps then think they are on a tablet and either don't work, or work poorly. Dialer, specifically, can be an issue. But if you set it to 160, it looks just like a 5.3" Galaxy Tab. The stock launcher can also have issues with various densities, so NOVA Launcher is recommended, as it will work fine. For me, it was fun to mess with, but I keep it in "Phone" mode now.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
the older browser had some ... quirks... when hitting certain forms on certain pages. These are generally fixed in both ICS browser and Chrome. I had ALL kinds of problems with secondapps forum posting on gingerbread. I think the new secondapps site (http://www.secondapps.com/mockup) does something different and its better
Alright, this pushes me to just root the thing and go with newest android version, guess I'll check out Chrome beta on that!

Thanks

tino

Banned
Samsung Galaxy Tab II's spec is garbage. Why do anybody want this POS?

I probably can buy an used TMobile Springboard (Huawei MediaPad) for cheaper.

They don't even bother to put their own CPU in it. Samsung you can take your tab 7.0 and shelve it where the sun don't shine.

I see, well hopefully that changes, I don't know if its worth 99 cents for an app that doesn't completely work yet?
it's doubtful that it's going to change. Facebook and Google just have different (incompatible) policies and ideas on who owns and controls user data. You might want to consider skipping a glass of milk and spending the dollar on the app...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Not eligible for a free upgrade til end of May - I'm hoping by then my network (Telstra) will have the One series for me to check out. I've heard they're getting the XL - seemingly limited to 16gb :( Do these 4g variants have the option to disable the 4g feature to save battery life?

Blackhead

Redarse
Webtop appears to be gone, it looks like its moving to "tablet mode" when docked.

Which would be foolish by Google. They need better integration with a desktop OS given the coming competition from Microsoft with Windows 8. I can't say if Google should leave webtop as is, use ChromeOS, or follow the Linux integration and use Ubuntu, but I'll continue to argue that it's not a feature they would be wise to abandon.

gcubed

Which would be foolish by Google. They need better integration with a desktop OS given the coming competition from Microsoft with Windows 8. I can't say if Google should leave webtop as is, use ChromeOS, or follow the Linux integration and use Ubuntu, but I'll continue to argue that it's not a feature they would be wise to abandon.

i'm not sure how much Google input went into that, but I remember reading that the newest Motoblur/ICS update abandoned webtop as it is.

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooqpOqmT80&feature=player_embedded#!

Doopliss

What does webtop do that's valuable to you? Is it just the windowed multitasking? There's no reason why that can't be integrated into Android. Google should continue what they started with ICS, which is to make Android adapt to the hardware it's working with, not tack on a different OS for one specific situation.

besiktas1

Any news on the release date of the Samsung Galaxy S III? I'm either waiting for that phone or the HTC One X.

I was in the same boat, in the end I couldn't wait lol. So far so happy. The inner dickhead in me wants the S3 not to be as awesome as I hyped myself up for it so I am not as disappointed that I didn't get it.

Newbie to the Android camp reporting for duty.

After a rage-inducing stint with an iPhone 4S (which I ended up giving to my wife), the replacement for my aging 3GS has arrived.

It's a Sony Xperia S and holy shit the screen is all kinds of fuck-awesome, it dazzles me even compared to the 4S. I also approve of the dedicated camera button, no more messing up the shot due to screenstabbing. The thin flimsy plastic back irks me though, doesn't give that quality feeling and leaves a very small gap between the top and back piece.

Now I'm off trying out the smart tags for a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom