• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
So, One X owners. What are your impressions from the first few days. Someone in the HTC thread mentions short battery life/laggy touchscreen/grainy video. Can you confirm or deny any of these statements?

I'll do a full writeup at some point. So far, battery life is good when not being used heavily, and painfully bad if you're running battery-heavy games/apps all the time. Certainly seems survivable, though. Touchscreen seems absolutely fine so far. Grainy video couldn't be further from the truth.

Husker86

It still looks strange and funny when i see someone speaking with the Note on his/her ear but then again i frequently see tourists running around Berlin making pictures/vids holding their iPad(2) in front of them.

The One X surely will get alot of support from xda and the community so people who want get rid of Sense will get alot of roms to choose.

Father of my gf just got a GSII and wants to sync his Outlook calender with the phone. What's the best way?
I know Kies has a sync feature but it seems to work pretty bad. MyPhoneExplorer seems to be a legit alternative. Is someone here using this app?

And damn, i really still dislike touchwiz more then Sense and Motoblur. What's the chance that Samsung actually improves Touchwiz for the GSIII? Or will it be the ICS/Touchwiz version Samsung is rolling out for the GSII atm? (I guess nobody can answer this right now). Still amazed how thin and light the GS2 is beside my desire hd.
Use the stock mail app to sync. Just add exchange account.

After 22 months on a Blackberry 8520, my first ever smartphone, I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S2.

I know the S3 isn't far off, but Orange gave me a damn good deal.

Can't wait to experience Android for the first time!

I expect it to be like sex compared to my BB.

jokkir

What do you say is the best keyword out now?

From my experience, it has to be the ICS keyboard but how is everyone's experience with SwiftkeyX and/or Swype?

Circle T

From my experience, it has to be the ICS keyboard but how is everyone's experience with SwiftkeyX and/or Swype?

The stock ICS keyboard is pretty damn good. I still use it on my Nexus and Note, since they both have stock ICS anyway. I've been messing with the Swiftkey 3 beta on my Skyrocket, though, and it's pretty nice as well. Haven't got a TON of use with it yet, but it does work very well. I've had very few missteps with it, and can type pretty fast. The new themes are nice as well, if you're into that stuff.

Samsung Galaxy Note coming to Sprint?

WzDKX.jpg

http://www.sprint.com/global/images/homepage/mobile_control_380x200_ad_banner.jpg

gwarm01

Okay, this is it. I'm buying my wife a phone tonight. The question is do I go with the Galaxy Nexus or the Razr Maxx?

I really like the idea of the battery in the Maxx, but I can get the Nexus for $120 cheaper. Is it worth that much for a larger battery? Is the Galaxy Nexus an amazing upgrade over the Evo Shift?

thespot84

Okay, this is it. I'm buying my wife a phone tonight. The question is do I go with the Galaxy Nexus or the Razr Maxx?

I really like the idea of the battery in the Maxx, but I can get the Nexus for $120 cheaper. Is it worth that much for a larger battery? Is the Galaxy Nexus an amazing upgrade over the Evo Shift?

if she's not going to be doing crazy gaming or movie watching AND be away from a charger for extended periods of time, the nexus is fine, I would just recommend the extended battery for $25 or so

mkenyon

Banned

Hah, went through the same thing myself. Wife is hard on her phones due to having them on her when she rides (horse trainer), so we went with the Razr Maxx for her. If it weren't for that one thing, the Nexus is really the right option for everything else (unless she also likes to take pictures lots for it). ICS + future support = EVERYTHING.

Looking at switching my Windows Phone (HTC Mozart) for an Android of some kind and need some advice. Currently what would be the best device for emulators (N64 in particular) usage other than the Xperia Play?

EDIT: First post shows the SGS2 and Gnex but I'm not sure how much the CPU's and res play into performance.

Cheers!

JWong

Banned
I need my ICS. Where's my ICS?

Oh, do you guys know how can I back up my saves for phone games or transfer them to my new phone? I want to keep my game dev story highscore.
Can I transfer something with Astro to do it?

Help me out Android GAF! I don't want to pay for a new cell phone, and mine is potentially bricked.

I have the Samsung Captivate, as I said earlier. I bricked it because I unplugged the USB cable when Kies Mini got stuck trying to update the firmware on the phone.

I've tried the methods that say to hold the volume buttons and the power button and plug the USB back in after you remove and put back the battery, but this hasn't worked for me.

The phone does not show any type of screen at all, it is just completely blank. :(

I'm in desperate need of help and would like to save money!

Ashhong

I only say that because it sounds like you tried to get help on that issue here before, and it didn't work out. XDA will be of greater help to you, since it sounds like you are in an emergency.

Chopper

After spending ages downloading and updating Kies, which took hours on my decrepid WiFi, and trying to get my phone to register an update to ICS, I just found out my phone is SIM-free and the update isn't out yet even though I'm on the O2 network. What the fuck?

I only say that because it sounds like you tried to get help on that issue here before, and it didn't work out. XDA will be of greater help to you, since it sounds like you are in an emergency.

I just did some research on XDA and I can confirm that my phone is hard bricked. :(

Seriously, holy fuck. I can't believe a computer software can brick my cell phone and there's nothing I can do to save it unless I want to solder or send it in for repair. (Let's face it, it's better to just get a new phone altogether.)

I'm going to have to go for the cheapest option on a new phone.

Al-ibn Kermit

Well SwiftkeyX is very, very good imo but I haven't had extensive use with the ICS keyboard. Swiftkey learns the words you use (even if they are not real words) and it also seems to learn the way that you're use them in a sentence. The more you that you use it, the better that it becomes.

I heard Swype is good but I could never get used to drawing across the screen to type. Some people are very fast with it though.

I just did some research on XDA and I can confirm that my phone is hard bricked. :(

Seriously, holy fuck. I can't believe a computer software can brick my cell phone and there's nothing I can do to save it unless I want to solder or send it in for repair. (Let's face it, it's better to just get a new phone altogether.)

Has your AT&T contract ended? If not maybe you could at least get an early upgrade discount or something if you go to an AT&T store and explain your situation. It's at least worth a try.

Chopper

Kies did that? My Kies stopped seeing my phone after about half an hour of mucking about, trying to get it to update. I had to turn my computer off and forget about it.

Kies did that? My Kies stopped seeing my phone after about half an hour of mucking about, trying to get it to update. I had to turn my computer off and forget about it.

Kies had the firmware update stuck at 0% for at least a couple hours before I unplugged my phone and got it hard bricked. I had no idea why it wasn't progressing.

liger05

I use swiftkey on my phone which is nice but the ICS keyboard on my xoom. I really like that!!

With the One X is there anyway I can get the ICS keyboard on there or can you only use it with vanilla ICS? I went to keyboard settings but the only option was the HTC keyboard and that sux!

gcubed

Looking at switching my Windows Phone (HTC Mozart) for an Android of some kind and need some advice. Currently what would be the best device for emulators (N64 in particular) usage other than the Xperia Play?

EDIT: First post shows the SGS2 and Gnex but I'm not sure how much the CPU's and res play into performance.

Cheers!

How much are you looking to spend? How soon and what carrier?

You have nothing to lose by going to an ATT store with the phone and explaining your situation.

zbeeb

No limit on price and I'm looking to stick with Telstra. I don't mind waiting if something amazing is right around the corner - just trying to figure out what the current best choices are :)

Xperia play is old tech now and I personally wouldn't recommend buying it now to last a 2 year contract.

Also right now we're at the beginning of a new range of phones coming out that will eclipse the gnex and gs2 in performance. HTC one x, gs3 (eventually) and more.

It may be worth waiting till the end of may, you'll have concrete information on the gs3 and whatever else lies ahead.

gcubed

No limit on price and I'm looking to stick with Telstra. I don't mind waiting if something amazing is right around the corner - just trying to figure out what the current best choices are :)

yeah, right now if you want the latest and greatest and dont mind Sense, the HTC One X is the best. Sometime in May i think we should hear about the Galaxy S3, LG is releasing a new phone they said is going to compete with the GS3 as well. At this point in time if you aren't worried about price and dont need it TODAY, a month may clear up a lot. If you want something now and Telstra (don't know what they offer) has the HTC One X, its the phone to get... i dont think any of the new phones coming out are going to be significantly better by any means, it'll just be manufacturer preference at that point

Blackhead

Redarse
What about tablets? Please take one for the team and get the Asus Memo 171. I haven't found a decent review yet (well, a decent review in english :?).
Has it been released yet? I've yet to see any previews about it
It got a limited release in March. Two previews:
http://youtu.be/QeVUEyh4RdQ
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2939594/asus-memo-me171-released-hands-on-video

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is the better tablet but that MeMic accessory looks cool... I'll probably end up with a bluetooth watch and headphones instead though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My galaxy S is driving me INSANEEEEEEEEEE. Jesus Christ I want to kill someone. Anyone know why when on forms (for example when you're typing a reply on GAF or sending an e-mail with hotmail in the browser) you can't scroll all the way down in it? If the cursor is not at the bottom end anymore it's IMPOSSIBLE to get it back there. Is this an Android or Samsung bug? It's been this way since I bought it but today I almost threw my phone against the wall because of it

I want to open my One X since it's probably not an issue anymore but I'm waiting till I get rid of the Galaxy :/

moojito

Swype is amazing. I hate having to peck on individual letters. Every time swype comes up with the right word after I've dragged my finger in the vague direction of the relevant letters, it's like I've won a game or something. It's not just efficient, but actually fun to use. I'd definitely advise giving it a shot.

thespot84

for those on a tablet, the split screen thumb keyboard in landscape in swiftkey is god mode, and if you haven't tried the beta yet you definitely should.

JCX

for those on a tablet, the split screen thumb keyboard in landscape in swiftkey is god mode, and if you haven't tried the beta yet you definitely should.

I use thumb keyboard on my Transformer. Much better than stock. My only issue is that I wish the keys were larger.

Reading through the review of the One S on GSMArena, those krait cores are really packing some punch. No more Qualcomm jokes for a while I guess :p

What's impressive though is how the Galaxy S 2 is still able to hold its own against more modern phones. If Samsung just swapped out the display for something with an hd resolution they'd have something that could rival what others are just putting out.

If the Galaxy S 3 has the same sort of longevity.... Dang.

One S is a good buy, most definitely.

Really liking mine. The pentile screen, thing of the devil? It looks gorgeous.

Just getting in to finding ICS apps. Plume's quite nice as a Twitter client but good god people just add some padding. Some awkward bits, so I don't think I'll shell out and compete. Is Boid feature complete enough yet? It's a shame, if it wasn't left for dead, Tweetdeck is a great UI for Twitter apps. I love having multiple accounts all in one set of custom-ordered columns.

Any other ICS apps I must must get? I now get annoyed that the UI isn't perfect on many apps. Like, TV Guide app. But you'd look BEAUTIFUL in Holo Light, why have you done some shit?

The menu button thing is driving me nuts too on apps where it doesn't need to be there as there's something on screen (Fruit Ninja, GOOGLE CURRENTS, Draw Something).

But that's my OCD. Really liking the phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Really liking mine. The pentile screen, thing of the devil? It looks gorgeous.

Just getting in to finding ICS apps. Plume's quite nice as a Twitter client but good god people just add some padding. Some awkward bits, so I don't think I'll shell out and compete. Is Boid feature complete enough yet? It's a shame, if it wasn't left for dead, Tweetdeck is a great UI for Twitter apps. I love having multiple accounts all in one set of custom-ordered columns.

Any other ICS apps I must must get? I now get annoyed that the UI isn't perfect on many apps. Like, TV Guide app. But you'd look BEAUTIFUL in Holo Light, why have you done some shit?

The menu button thing is driving me nuts too on apps where it doesn't need to be there as there's something on screen (Fruit Ninja, GOOGLE CURRENTS, Draw Something).

But that's my OCD. Really liking the phone.

Tasks is a recent great one. Feels like it was designed by Google.

Circle T

Reading through the review of the One S on GSMArena, those krait cores are really packing some punch. No more Qualcomm jokes for a while I guess :p

What's impressive though is how the Galaxy S 2 is still able to hold its own against more modern phones. If Samsung just swapped out the display for something with an hd resolution they'd have something that could rival what others are just putting out.

If the Galaxy S 3 has the same sort of longevity.... Dang.

International
Best Galaxy has just what you want ;)

yaHoB.jpg

liger05

Swype is amazing. I hate having to peck on individual letters. Every time swype comes up with the right word after I've dragged my finger in the vague direction of the relevant letters, it's like I've won a game or something. It's not just efficient, but actually fun to use. I'd definitely advise giving it a shot.

Any reason why I can't see swype on the play store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom