• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
You should quit while you're ahead. The 5450 was sampling in Q1, it may be too soon to be in a phone, but it exists far ahead of any mythical tegra chipset
You want to bet on an avatar? I bet Tegra 4 will come out in a production model (you can buy from Amazon) first.

Go ahead.

Polari

it's impossible for a device with a removable battery to be called "best-in-class in design" because seams = bad design.

obviously, it's very possible for one to be "best-in-class in sales" though.

Wait wait wait... so trading seams for functionality = bad design? Do you even understand what good design is? I could create a car without seams, but there would be no way to enter it. But in your book that would be good design?

gcubed

You want to bet on an avatar? I bet Tegra 4 will come out in a production model (you can buy from Amazon) first.

Go ahead.

Obviously I don't because if the GS3 isn't using it then that's it. I'm not confident just pointing out that a chip set you didn't even know existed is already sampling and has been shown in reference designs running

thespot84

Sorry to interrupt the smartphone wars, but with an app like Facebook chat (the official one from the App store), if I open it, then go back using the main button, does it stay running in the background? My Steam app has a logo in the top left corner telling me I'm online, but the FB chat app doesn't.

Cheers!

are you talking android (you said 'app store', that's why I ask). facebook chat runs as a service in the background, but does not show an 'online' indicator. As long as 'polling' is enabled, which usually presents itself as 'notifications' in the settings of a said app, it will typically run in the background and receive push updates. Talk functions this way as well (and is actually the platform through which the market gets updates)

Vyer

I do think there is something to be said for having a more solid phone, and less of the internals having to be exposed as there are in removable battery phones. Having to open the phone and pop a part of it out to get it 'reset' (as often happened with Blackberries) always feels rather archaic. I suppose one would hope to that with more competition in the non removable space handset makers may actually be forced to give a shit about battery life; some Android handsets make it clear the makers couldn't have given two fucks about the battery. There was always the spare to fall back on anyway.

At some point you hit a wall; if you want a thinner, sleeker, more solid device batteries just can't shrink and still extend battery life at this point. Makers have to remove the empty space instead.

Having said that, certainly people are going to have times where an outlet isn't available and they are stuck. Though, there are a lot of other options at this point (I rely on my car charger) to help in that area.

Regardless, I think it is inevitable. Both that and physical keyboards are going to be increasingly minimized no matter what OS you use.

tino

Banned
Obviously I don't because if the GS3 isn't using it then that's it. I'm not confident just pointing out that a chip set you didn't even know existed is already sampling and has been shown in reference designs running
Well I do follow this kind of stuff I just missed that one.

Too bad you could have wore a "Kin" avatar proudly for a month. ;)

reKon

Banned
I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for where the market is going. Things like removable battery and storage were bullet points in favor of Android as a whole. Not anymore. To "power users," sure. But most people don't really care about those things and manufacturers like Samsung are catching on.

Someone earlier posted about wanting to trade in their current top of the line phone for a new phone with an even awesomer processor. Who cares about that? What apps will take advantage of that anytime soon? Slim to none. Look how long it's taking to get ICS apps on the market.

I want ICS to be much smoother. It's laggy as hell on my galaxy nexus. That would make me much happier than something like removable storage.

Unless you're on 4.0.2 you're doing something wrong. The phone can lag if you throw enough stuff at it (like downloading updates to apps while multitasking), but most of the time it's butter smooth for me...

Smokey

I need some clarification.

I have a OG Evo 4G, had it since launch. I am eligible for a upgrade. I've been hearing about this HTC One X. Sprint has the Evo 4G LTE (tha fuck at this name) coming next month. Is this the same phone? I thought I saw that the One X isn't coming to America, but has a 1080p screen and shit. The E4GLTE has 720p and other differences so I am a bit confused here.

I am also in Houston where 4G has been since day 1 and will be one of the test markets getting their LTE service here in a few months, so that ability is important to me.

ep85

I have a OG Evo 4G, had it since launch. I am eligible for a upgrade. I've been hearing about this HTC One X. Sprint has the Evo 4G LTE (tha fuck at this name) coming next month. Is this the same phone? I thought I saw that the One X isn't coming to America, but has a 1080p screen and shit. The E4GLTE has 720p and other differences so I am a bit confused here.

I am also in Houston where 4G has been since day 1 and will be one of the test markets getting their LTE service here in a few months, so that ability is important to me.

Yeh, the EVO 4GLTE is sprint's version of the one x. It adds a kickstand, removable storage. I think its back is that fancy oxidized aluminium as opposed to the polycarbonate of the one x.

It doesn't have the tegra 3 like the international version. It has a dual core proc instead. America is getting the vanilla one x, through at&t.

Also the vanilla One X doesn't have a 1080p screen. So far the GSIII is the only one rumored to have it.

tino

Banned

Yeah same phone (with bigger battery and sd slot.)

Smokey

Sweet. So is the E4GLTE and Galaxy III considered to be the two Android phones to get?

I'm leaning towards the Evo just because I've had one for 2 years, but screen wise I hear people go crazy about the Galaxy. How is the E4GLTE compared to that?

Been out the phone game for a minute, so I apologize for simple questions!

Ashhong

Sweet. So is the E4GLTE and Galaxy III considered to be the two Android phones to get?

I'm leaning towards the Evo just because I've had one for 2 years, but screen wise I hear people go crazy about the Galaxy. How is the E4GLTE compared to that?

Been out the phone game for a minute, so I apologize for simple questions!

You are thinking of the Galaxy Note with the screen size. I don't believe that is available on Sprint. The poster above was referencing the Galaxy S3 which isn't out or even announced yet, but it almost assuredly going to be the best Android phone available when it does.

Smokey

You are thinking of the Galaxy Note with the screen size. I don't believe that is available on Sprint. The poster above was referencing the Galaxy S3 which isn't out or even announced yet, but it almost assuredly going to be the best Android phone available when it does.

Sorry I meant screen quality as in the AMOLED screen used in the Galaxy's and what type of screen the new HTC will use, how it measures up etc.

Cipherr

Sorry I meant screen quality as in the AMOLED screen used in the Galaxy's and what type of screen the new HTC will use, how it measures up etc.

The screen in the one X according to reviewers is actually better looking than the AMOLED screens Samsung has out right now, the rub however, is that we dont know what kind of screen the upcoming S3 will have.

Maybe they have and even better AMOLED screen that will top the OneX, or maybe it will be a LCD2 just like the OneX but at 1080p. Noone really knows, the OneX has the absolute best screen right now, but the S3 could come in a month and best it.

Its a rough decision to try and make without waiting to see what the S3 has.

Ephemeris

All over my magenta!

A bit OT, but not sure where else to post it (Not thread worthy IMHO).
A lil OT but,
TxuhT.jpg

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm the third person to quote you but no version of the HTC One X has a 1080P screen. I don't think any phone does.

The Sprint version of a One X actually does add a kickstand and microSD slot though. If I were you, I would wait until both the evoLTE and the Galaxy S3 were in stores around May-June so I could play with them and see which one actually looks and feels better. They're both top grade phones that are probably going to be released around the same time.

Wait wait wait... so trading seams for functionality = bad design? Do you even understand what good design is? I could create a car without seams, but there would be no way to enter it. But in your book that would be good design?

i care about functionality, not design. i was just commenting about my observations on what ideas people associate with good design in smartphones.

Please create that car, it'd be a very interesting art piece.

Al-ibn Kermit

A lot of modern phones have backplates that you have to practically use a crow bar to get out (looking at you Motorola). It doesn't feel like they aren't solidly built.

Besides, how do you even hold a phone in a way where you can feel the seams on the side? Unless you're always in landscape mode, which is not comfortable. And so stupid. Why are people so stupid?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unless you're on 4.0.2 you're doing something wrong. The phone can lag if you throw enough stuff at it (like downloading updates to apps while multitasking), but most of the time it's butter smooth for me...

Disagree. Switching apps is not instantaneous. The multitasking button doesn't bring up the panes fast enough. Google Voice, in particular, is very laggy for me. Sending a text then moving back to the inbox can lag. Things like scrolling are for sure much nicer. But it's not at all fast enough for me.

Disagree. Switching apps is not instantaneous. The multitasking button doesn't bring up the panes fast enough. Google Voice, in particular, is very laggy for me. Sending a text then moving back to the inbox can lag. Things like scrolling are for sure much nicer. But it's not at all fast enough for me.

Part of that is possibly hardware. Task Switching does have a small delay between pressing the button and the display firing. It's really quite small though. On the Transformer Prime it's near to instantaneous. Can't talk about Google voice as I don't use it and I've never noticed the text thing.

Bboy your curse is that you demand perfection. At first you'll think the newest thing is perfection, then after a few days, maybe weeks you'll start to focus on the areas that could be a tiny bit better. Before long this focus becomes all consuming. Until the next phone comes out and so the cycle repeats. I think the issues is that this focus can lead you to exaggerate. Calling the Galaxy Nexus 'laggy' is a gross overstatement. There my be small parts which could be tightened but the overall experience is one of the fastest, if not the fastest smartphones on the market. Only the iPhone 4s and the HTC One X can hold a candle to it. A bit of perspective from somebody who sells Galaxy Ace's all day and truly knows the meaning of laggy :)

Obviously with the next Nexus and next software revision Android will become more responsive, smoother and faster as it has with every update. But as progress marches on and perfection reaches new heights you will never be sated. It's like that temple run score that you know can be beaten. It's an amazing score, you pat yourself on the back for doing it - then one of your friends bests you by a couple of thousand. There will always be a higher score. There will always be a fly in the ointment to prevent perfection.

I've forgotten my point! Ahhh, that was it - Perspective and a little dose of realism!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I only had instaneous performance, I would be happy. Is that so much to ask? ;)

It's really killer on Google Voice, mostly. You can't really speed through answering texts when there's a lag between sending a text and going back to the inbox. Do any other GV users notice this?

I'm pretty happy otherwise. And the multitasking window pane. And third party apps. And...

JCX

I hope that removable batteries and microSD slots don't go extinct in favor of design. Phones are a tool, not an art piece. Those two features are one of the main reasons I picked Android.

Just installed the latest CyanogenMod 9 Nightly on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. I'm mostly just letting it sit there as it re-downloads everything, but I'm already spotting some neat tweaks to the pull-down notification bar and when I hold in the power button.

jorma

is now taking requests
I hope this is the appropriate thread.

I have a problem streaming video from my pc to my android tablet. I use a program called "ES File explorer" to create a smb share, and it looks alright until i actually try to run a file over the LAN, it stutters like crazy.
I get 25mbit in both directions when i do a speedtest over the wireless connection i set up for my phone and my laptop.

I can stream off the internet (like via the twitch app) in 720p with zero problems, but when i try to stream files (or even copy files) from my PC to the tablet via that smb share it just turns everything into a slow soggy mess. And if i copy the files to the tablet they run just fine so the problem is definitely the smb share.

Any suggestions on how to fix the streaming? I mean i have seen people getting it to work in youtube videos and they seem to do exactly what i did. :X

are you talking android (you said 'app store', that's why I ask). facebook chat runs as a service in the background, but does not show an 'online' indicator. As long as 'polling' is enabled, which usually presents itself as 'notifications' in the settings of a said app, it will typically run in the background and receive push updates. Talk functions this way as well (and is actually the platform through which the market gets updates)

Yeah I'm talking about Android :) App store just sounds less retarded than play store.

Thanks!

I have a problem that is driving me absolutely crazy.

I want to run dosbox on my Samsung Nexus S. By default it auto-mounts the sdcard, which doesn't help me since the Nexus S doesn't have a SD-slot.

So I need to find the phone's internal storage in the file system - meaning the folder that I can transfer things to with my USB cable.

But I simply can't find it - I've been in /root and /system and all over the place, but I am unable to locate the USB-folder.

Can anyone PLEASE help me. I've googled for hours to no avail. All I want to do is run some old dos games and programs. This seems so simple, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it!

Doopliss

I have a problem that is driving me absolutely crazy.

I want to run dosbox on my Samsung Nexus S. By default it auto-mounts the sdcard, which doesn't help me since the Nexus S doesn't have a SD-slot.

So I need to find the phone's internal storage in the file system - meaning the folder that I can transfer things to with my USB cable.

But I simply can't find it - I've been in /root and /system and all over the place, but I am unable to locate the USB-folder.

Can anyone PLEASE help me. I've googled for hours to no avail. All I want to do is run some old dos games and programs. This seems so simple, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it!
It's confusing, but the folder for the storage built into the phone is /sdcard

It's confusing, but the folder for the storage built into the phone is /sdcard

hmmm, that kinda makes sense. But when I access /sdcard through dosbox, I can't find anything in there (with the dir-command).
When I try to access it through dual file manager xt it says that the folder cannot be read.

Talon

Sounds like Sprint's LTE network in Chicago may be up sooner rather than later.

The Evo 4G LTE enters the fray. I'd love to leave AT&T.

ep85

Does Sprint share frequencies with anyone else?

I want a future where I can buy a phone and not worry about which carrier it belongs to. FCC make this shit happen..

JCX

Aren't they testing it in a suburb first? I hope it has better coverage in Chicago than their 4G wimax does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom