• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
So according to BGR there will be two color options for SGS3: blue/black and white.

I am impressed that Samsung is moving away from the copy Apple phrase.

My Galaxy S definitely had true blacks (no illumination at all) but my GN definitely has some very, very low level illumination going on at all times, even for black.

From what I read over at xda, there is a very minimal charge applied to all pixels, as apparently it's more power efficient than switching them on/off.

Have to say, coming from my SGS I was a bit disappointed with lack of proper blacks, as well as the poor maximum brightness levels. But, that resolution and them eye poppingly vivid colours.. I can live with the drawbacks.

gcubed

meh, the only shocker is 1080p... well not a shocker, its just not something i believe until i see it. The quad core is a gimmie, as well as integrated LTE. The real question is WHICH quad core... the one the Meizu is using, or is Sammy keeping its best for itself and it will be the A15 quad core, which would melt faces.

meh, the only shocker is 1080p... well not a shocker, its just not something i believe until i see it. The quad core is a gimmie, as well as integrated LTE. The real question is WHICH quad core... the one the Meizu is using, or is Sammy keeping its best for itself and it will be the A15 quad core, which would melt faces.
Will definitely jump ship from the One X for an A15 quad core...Just don't think it or the 1080p will happen

tino

Banned
Will definitely jump ship from the One X for an A15 quad core...Just don't think it or the 1080p will happen
The quadcore will definitely happen. It's a no brainer. Both Samsung and Meizu has announced the chip.

Will you get it in the US version, that's the only question.

giga

The quadcore will definitely happen. It's a no brainer. Both Samsung and Meizu has announced the chip.

Will you get it in the US version, that's the only question.
He's talking about the A15 quad core. Meizu is using an A9 quad core.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Funny how what were once Android "advantages," such as removable storage and removable batteries, are being axed.

Good. Nonremovable storage and batteries are a good thing. Apple, once again, had it right from the start.

tino

Banned
He's talking about the A15 quad core. Meizu is using an A9 quad core.
Samsung has only announced 1 quadcore ARM chip, the 4412. Isn't it obvious. The A15 thing is obviously bullshit. While I am on it, I am calling 1080p bullshit too.

reKon

Banned
Funny how what were once Android "advantages," such as removable storage and removable batteries, are being axed.

Good. Nonremovable storage and batteries are a good thing. Apple, once again, had it right from the start.

Non removable batteries are a good thing? I didn't see any drastic improvements in the Droid razr compared to other phones even with its smart actions.

My Droid X just got pushed an update (Verizon).

Also, since I am not familiar with how this stuff works, will the Samsung Galaxy S3 be available at Verizon right away, or do they launch them at different times with different carriers? I ask because I want to upgrade.

Menelaus

Banned
In the history of Verizon, I can't think of a time they've gotten a multi-carrier android model as soon as possible.

Maybe blackberries?

Darkkn

1080p screen on a phone seems like a complete waste of good battery power. 720p is perfect for smartphone. Retina levels of ppi and facilitates big screens.

For tablet however, 1080p would be great because of bigger screen and battery capacity.

tino

Banned
Two, actually. The 4412 and the 5450. The 4412 being A9 based, and the 5450 being A15 based....

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/samsung-demos-quad-core-exynos-processors-we-drool/

Well I was no aware of the 5450. But there is no reason for Samsung to use it. A random A9 quadcore design will be faster than Tegra 3. Samsung is not charity, despite what rumor sites think.

If there is a quadcore A15 chip see production, it's going to be nVidia first. nVidia is ARM's only premium partner who actually gives input to ARM's future designs. Everyone else just buy turnkey designs from ARM, including Apple.

In the history of Verizon, I can't think of a time they've gotten a multi-carrier android model as soon as possible.

Maybe blackberries?

Maybe crappy phone like Galaxy S1 and LG Optimius One (it had a totally different name on Verizon.)

My Galaxy S definitely had true blacks (no illumination at all) but my GN definitely has some very, very low level illumination going on at all times, even for black.

From what I read over at xda, there is a very minimal charge applied to all pixels, as apparently it's more power efficient than switching them on/off.

Have to say, coming from my SGS I was a bit disappointed with lack of proper blacks, as well as the poor maximum brightness levels. But, that resolution and them eye poppingly vivid colours.. I can live with the drawbacks.

oh, so it's just a galaxy nexus issue...

Every phone that stands out as best-in-class in design and build quality has a non-removable battery, that isn't just coincidence.

maybe there just isn't a good way to have a removable battery and best-in-class build quality and people just have to choose for themselves... people do have a choice, and that's a good thing.

Talon

Phones with enclosed batteries can better utilize space for the battery - as opposed to only having the hatch to play with.

maybe there just isn't a good way to have a removable battery and best-in-class build quality and people just have to choose for themselves... people do have a choice, and that's a good thing.
Sure, I'm just pointing out the benefits of non-removable batteries; and I wouldn't be surprised if all major manufacturers head that way for at least their flagship devices.

So just design? That's a stupid reason - I'll take functionality over design any day.
Design and build quality may not be important to you, but I'd take a phone of the One X/Lumia 800/iPhone 4S' caliber over something like the Nexus or SGSII any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Don't be surprised when their isn't a removable battery on the GSIII.

tino

Banned
Better, slicker designs. Phone can be thinner. Feels way more solid.

Yup.

A bunch of casual users trying to tell power users what's best for them.

Android hardware/software econsystem is like a democrecy, it's very inefficient but you will find something that suit you the best.

Apple ecosystem is a well-oiled totalitarian machine.

Android hardware/software econsystem is like a democrecy, it's very inefficient but you will find something that suit you the best.

No-one's telling you what's good for you, it's just a heads-up on why you're going to start to see Android OEMs embracing non-removable batteries.

Talon

Oh Jesus. Good design = casuals?

Haha

Menelaus

Banned

Jesus, no. Just no.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I... What? Man, you're crazy.

So just design? That's a stupid reason - I'll take functionality over design any day.
It's not one or the other. The iPhone doesn't even need a replaceable battery because it's so good (but that's besides the point). You can design casing around a battery, maximizing the space used for a bigger battery.

tokkun

They are both clearly bad things. Yes, they are common tradeoffs for different things that are good (like slimmer bodies), but that doesn't make them inherently bad. If this isn't obvious to you, ask yourself whether an iPhone that was otherwise identical to others but could swap batteries via teleporter would be worse than one that couldn't.

All other things being equal, removable batteries and storage are superior.

zedge

I wonder if Samsung will keep the GS3 the same all over, or will they continue with the crappy carrier basterdized versions for US/Canada. Although I bet Bell will get the proper one like they did with the GS2.

Bboy AJ

They are both clearly bad things. Yes, they are common tradeoffs for different things that are good (like slimmer bodies), but that doesn't make them inherently bad. If this isn't obvious to you, ask yourself whether an iPhone that was otherwise identical to others but could swap batteries via teleporter would be worse than one that couldn't.

Ask yourself whether a phone that ran on infinite power would be better than one that didn't. You're arguing something that isn't based in reality.

Cynar

Exactly, removable batteries are necessary. I hate phones that force us to have non-removable.

It's not one or the other. The iPhone doesn't even need a replaceable battery because it's so good (but that's besides the point). You can design casing around a battery, maximizing the space used for a bigger battery.

my brother is like an outlet crack fiend with his iPhone. i guess for casuals, it's not needed though...

some people want a good looking phone. i mean, that's why Sony has been selling smartphones for the past few years...

The smartphones that have been out look perfectly fine. I've dropped my Xperia Play (sans the shatterproof screen protector) so many times at this point and it's perfectly sturdy. Not only that, but I like how it looks.

Having a removable battery/internal storage doesn't hurt the phone at all, and it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest otherwise. If they don't have a removable battery so the phone can be thinner, so be it. But it's not a bad thing. And I like being able to replace my battery.

Cipherr

Speak for yourself, I couldn't give two shits about the 'sleek design'. Im going to cover it with a lovely case anyway, and my phone isn't some shiny ass gemmed belt buckle fashion accessory, its a bloody phone. And having removable batteries and SD slots don't magically turn the phones into hulking behemoths, so the gulf in this so called beauty of design is smaller than you are leading on. Give me my options. Removable battery so I can buy extended batteries if I like, and expandable swappable MicroSD anyday.

Like Joker said, functionality over design.

Design and build quality may not be important to you, but I'd take a phone of the One X/Lumia 800/iPhone 4S' caliber over something like the Nexus or SGSII any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Then take it. But the many millions of people who bought this phones previous entry likely don't give a shit. They did just fine with those functionality options last go around and they will continue to. Make no mistake, when this comes to US carriers and has expandable memory and whatnot, they will still sell a shitload of them. Some people != everyone.

some people want a good looking phone. i mean, that's why Sony has been selling smartphones for the past few years...

Thats cool, Im not saying theres a problem with that, but its clearly not for everyone. Some people want that functionality, thats probably why Sony doesnt sell half as many phones as Samsung.

You all might have a point if it was impossible to create a good looking device without expandable memory and a removeable battery, but as you said, its not really one or the other.

Sorry to interrupt the smartphone wars, but with an app like Facebook chat (the official one from the App store), if I open it, then go back using the main button, does it stay running in the background? My Steam app has a logo in the top left corner telling me I'm online, but the FB chat app doesn't.

Cheers!

You all might have a point if it was impossible to create a good looking device without expandable memory and a removeable battery, but as you said, its not really one or the other.

it's impossible for a device with a removable battery to be called "best-in-class in design" because seams = bad design.

obviously, it's very possible for one to be "best-in-class in sales" though.

Bboy AJ

I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for where the market is going. Things like removable battery and storage were bullet points in favor of Android as a whole. Not anymore. To "power users," sure. But most people don't really care about those things and manufacturers like Samsung are catching on.

Someone earlier posted about wanting to trade in their current top of the line phone for a new phone with an even awesomer processor. Who cares about that? What apps will take advantage of that anytime soon? Slim to none. Look how long it's taking to get ICS apps on the market.

I want ICS to be much smoother. It's laggy as hell on my galaxy nexus. That would make me much happier than something like removable storage.

tokkun

Ask yourself whether a phone that ran on infinite power would be better than one that didn't. You're arguing something that isn't based in reality.

I was not suggesting that Apple should literally build a phone with a teleporter; I was employing a rhetorical device known as reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate why the conclusion that it's bad for batteries to be removable is flawed.

If engineers accepted your argument, then the only conclusion would be to cease any development on improving removable battery technology. This would be a mistake. They should instead look at the advantages that non-removable batteries have and try to develop new means of integrating removable batteries that mitigate those differences.

gcubed

Well I was no aware of the 5450. But there is no reason for Samsung to use it. A random A9 quadcore design will be faster than Tegra 3. Samsung is not charity, despite what rumor sites think.

If there is a quadcore A15 chip see production, it's going to be nVidia first. nVidia is ARM's only premium partner who actually gives input to ARM's future designs. Everyone else just buy turnkey designs from ARM, including Apple.

Maybe crappy phone like Galaxy S1 and LG Optimius One (it had a totally different name on Verizon.)

You should quit while you're ahead. The 5250 was sampling in Q1, it may be too soon to be in a phone, but it exists far ahead of any mythical tegra chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom