• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
its pretty impressive that Samsung has garnered this much attention as an android phone maker in a sea of others.

the blue signifies the vast ocean of Android devices... the white signifies the fresh foamy upper layer that washes ashore as people play in the water at the beach having an awesome time.

I feel like I'm pretty used to Android already after a few days with my S2. I'm really loving the apps and customisation.

I don't really feel the need to hack and flash and load custom roms like a lot of you guys were suggesting a few pages back. At least not yet. This is such a generational upgrade over my old shitty Blackberry I really don't feel the need to do anything too adventurous because all of the default options are more than enough.

I've spent a few days getting my home screens just right and I think I've finally got it how I like it. I'll never need to go in to the app menu now!

So yeah, really pleased with my purchase :)

Cipherr

its pretty impressive that Samsung has garnered this much attention as an android phone maker in a sea of others.

HTC was the star sometime back, but they ruined that. /shrug

If Samsung even halfway delivers on the S3, tons of people will buy it just based on it being a follow up to the S2.

SimleuqiR

HTC was the star sometime back, but they ruined that. /shrug

If Samsung even halfway delivers on the S3, tons of people will buy it just based on it being a follow up to the S2.

Which kind of sucks because they have a very iPhone-y look to their UI. It's a shame that Duarte's work/vision of what Android should be is really not hitting the mainstream crowd. But that's the nature of the monster I guess.

gcubed

Which kind of sucks because they have a very iPhone-y look to their UI. It's a shame that Duarte's work/vision of what Android should be is really not hitting the mainstream crowd. But that's the nature of the monster I guess.

to be fair, we haven't seen the new touchwiz yet.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm officially done with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. If anyone is in the market for one, shoot me a PM, it's in mint condition with an extended battery and Diztronic Rev3 case. Currently has 4.0.4 and an unlocked bootloader, but can be returned to stock if need be. Never overclocked.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm officially done with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. If anyone is in the market for one, shoot me a PM, it's in mint condition with an extended battery and Diztronic Rev3 case. Currently has 4.0.4 and an unlocked bootloader, but can be returned to stock if need be. Never overclocked.

Why's that? I'm moving to Europe soon and I've got to figure out what my new phone will be. My Verizon GN won't work over there. Galaxy S 3 may be that phone but how was ROM support on the S2? Easy to get stock-ish ROMs on there?

Menelaus

Banned
Why's that? I'm moving to Europe soon and I've got to figure out what my new phone will be. My Verizon GN won't work over there. Galaxy S 3 may be that phone but how was ROM support on the S2? Easy to get stock-ish ROMs on there?

Battery life wasn't doing it for me. I'm a power user who can't be bothered to tether to a power cord all day.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
As per the advice in here, I've decided to flash cm9, but I am having issues - I am going from Darky to cm9, so I already have a lot of the steps completed - at least I thought I did. Do I have to re-root? My CWM is telling me that the update.zip file isn't passing 'whole file signature verification'.

edit: scratch that, I just turned off signature verification, and now it's still not working - but that's because nothing happens - well something happens, but it happens so quick that I can't see the error message (when I try to install update.zip).

tino

Banned

You should go prepaid now and sign up for a new plan in European, since their contract packages are cheaper.

Angst

As per the advice in here, I've decided to flash cm9, but I am having issues - I am going from Darky to cm9, so I already have a lot of the steps completed - at least I thought I did. Do I have to re-root? My CWM is telling me that the update.zip file isn't passing 'whole file signature verification'.

edit: scratch that, I just turned off signature verification, and now it's still not working - but that's because nothing happens - well something happens, but it happens so quick that I can't see the error message (when I try to install update.zip).
Why "update.zip"? Doesn't sound like the names cm usually uses. What phone are you trying to install it on?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Why "update.zip"? Doesn't sound like the names cm usually uses. What phone are you trying to install it on?

Yeah, I'm light years ahead now - I thought for some reason when I put the file on my phone that's what it was called, but I somehow managed to put it inside a zip labeled update.zip that was already in my phone :p.

Regardless, just installing cm9 didn't work (fucked my phone up a bit actually) have to reflash a bunch of stuff, right now I am almost done though, in the re-rooting stage.

edit: rooting went well, now making a backup! Next up is going to be installing the actual cm9 rom! :p

edit: backup went fine, tried installing the cm9 rom and it fucked up again - the same as before :(. So close.

It does that thing where it infinite reboots with the Cm9 logo showing up, and the install failing over and over.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I so want the Sprint GN but the only thing holding me back from hitting buy is no wimax. Sprint's 3G has sucked the last 4 months. I have no idea when LTE is coming here.

fuck.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Did you wipe? You'll get a boot loop for sure if you don't wipe.

I noticed that when I try to wipe, nothing actually gets removed off my phone. Which is weird, it just goes back to factory default settings - but my actual interal SD still has all the folders and shit.

Blackhead

Redarse
Never heard of tweakers.net before haha. I wonder what the overlap between invitees to this Samsung event and to apple events look like. I guess the way to triangulate apple fan blogs is they only go to apple events.
man, that invite is such a tease

KJtrF.jpg

Ooh, a livestream of the event too. Anyone going to create a thread?

Zeppu

I noticed that when I try to wipe, nothing actually gets removed off my phone. Which is weird, it just goes back to factory default settings - but my actual interal SD still has all the folders and shit.

No that's just supposed to clear your system partition an davlik cache or something. Admittedly I haven't done any tampering on my Nexus, but with my old hero, switching between roms almost always required me to wipe, but nothing from the data partition got lost.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
No that's just supposed to clear your system partition an davlik cache or something. Admittedly I haven't done any tampering on my Nexus, but with my old hero, switching between roms almost always required me to wipe, but nothing from the data partition got lost.

Well I went into advanced and specifically checked "wipe davlik data" - and now it seems to be installing it properly. Hoorah.

Woo! all good, now just need to install gapps

Donos

I can't imagine making Samsung making a phone more desirable to me than the One X, we'll see.
When the benchmark numbers are 10 higher as from the one x your hype will rise :).
Really interested in gsIII specs but i still think that htc has made (finally) two really good contenders. Looking forward to the display samsung are going to use.

tino

Banned
This. That LCD2 in the One X is going to be extremely hard to top, even for AMOLED.

AMOLED has always had inaccurate color (particularly the green). This is the case for all Galaxy phones and the PS Vita. I don't know why you guys go gaga over it.

I can't imagine making Samsung making a phone more desirable to me than the One X, we'll see.

That's easy. An One X with SD card and a replacable battery.

AMOLED has always had inaccurate color (particularly the green). This is the case for all Galaxy phones and the PS Vita. I don't know why you guys go gaga over it.
Maybe everyone loves it because of the battery life associated with it because of the black pixels actually not being turned on at all. To be honest I could never tell the difference.

Hopefully the rumors are true and I can get my AT&T One X on or before Sunday. Should have details on the release tomorrow according to BGR. Apple fanboys be damned those guys break many an android news story.

As for the lack of removable battery and micro sd...welcome to the future...you will be seeing a lot more of that in the next couple years.

Hopefully they start including bigger batteries and at the very least 32 or 64gb. Dammit AT&T and your ridiculous 16gb...what am I supposed to do with that?

Cloud storage wont matter until the return of unlimited data. It will return someday...mark my words

gcubed

Maybe everyone loves it because of the battery life associated with it because of the black pixels actually not being turned on at all. To be honest I could never tell the difference.

Hopefully the rumors are true and I can get my AT&T One X on or before Sunday. Should have details on the release tomorrow according to BGR. Apple fanboys be damned those guys break many an android news story.

As for the lack of removable battery and micro sd...welcome to the future...you will be seeing a lot more of that in the next couple years.

Hopefully they start including bigger batteries and at the very least 32 or 64gb. Dammit AT&T and your ridiculous 16gb...what am I supposed to do with that?

Cloud storage wont matter until the return of unlimited data. It will return someday...mark my words

AMOLED sucks more battery

ep85

Some people prefer the hyper saturation that amoled screens provide. And the blacks on amoled screens are unbeatable. In the end it's all about options...

Donos

I'm not going gaga. I stated my opinion on amoled a dozen pages before.
Just interested what samsung is going to do now htc has a screen tech that matches the fidelity of the good amoleds.
We don't know if samsung keeps the AMOLED route and puts out a new super-super-amoled-hd screen or if they go with the GS2 display. But the interesting part is that Samsung owns the company behind the SLCD2 displays an since these displays are getting really good critcs maybe they'll put these SLCD2's into the GSIII. Nobody knows. In the end i like that there is more competition in the high end segment. Even Sony is stepping up their game with the Xperia S.

Doopliss

SAMOLED screens are great because of the black levels, nothing else. And I think the inaccurate colours matter to maybe a fraction of 1% of people - if they cared about the fidelity they'd first of all be complaining about the cranked up image sharpness setting that Samsung uses which is far more obnoxious, and the few times I have seen that mentioned (on XDA, never in a review) it hasn't generated any discussion.

gcubed

SAMOLED screens are great because of the black levels, nothing else. And I think the inaccurate colours matter to maybe a fraction of 1% of people - if they cared about the fidelity they'd first of all be complaining about the cranked up image sharpness setting that Samsung uses which is far more obnoxious, and the few times I have seen that mentioned (on XDA, never in a review) it hasn't generated any discussion.

actually, there was TONS of flack on Google for fixing the color temps on their nexus devices into realistic color reproduction. Everyone complained because they the neon colors

actually, there was TONS of flack on Google for fixing the color temps on their nexus devices into realistic color reproduction. Everyone complained because they the neon colors

this.

Samsung is perfectly capable of properly calibrating their SAMOLED screens to a realistic palette.

they just... don't.

Threi

notag
also the pixels aren't "off" when it's black...put a samoled+ phone in a pitch black environment and you will see that it's very very dimly lit. Still absolutely amazing black levels.

Also don't know if its just my infuse but the colours are oversaturated...which isn't really a bad thing tbh. The striking vibrance is nice, even if it's innaccurate.

tino

Banned

If this is the future then the future is an ass. This is The Hunger Game future. I shell hold on to the Best Galaxy and wait for somebody make a proper sequel.

JCX

Galaxy Nexus to Sprint and a date for GS3 unveiling. Good day for news. I might wait longer to get my 3VO repaired so I can sell a mint one for a shiny new GS3.

Zeppu

More randomness

BGR said:
As we get closer to the official announcement of Samsung’s Galaxy S III, more information is beginning to surface. In addition to our exclusive reports on the device’s specifications and materials, we have now learned new details surrounding Samsung’s launch and marketing push for its new flagship handset. We have been told that there will be a huge international roll-out for the Galaxy S III, and the sleek new smartphone will be the official device of the 2012 Summer Olympics — this is one reason we’re told Samsung is hosting its unveiling event in London. In addition, there could be simultaneous launch events in New York City, Seoul and Dubai according to our source. We are also told that the Samsung Galaxy S III will come in two color options, one in blue and black, and a second in white. There will be 16GB and 32GB models as well, and additional specs include a 1080p HD display, a quad-core Exynos processor and integrated 4G LTE.

...sure.

BLUE AND BLACK ... AND WHITE

also the pixels aren't "off" when it's black...put a samoled+ phone in a pitch black environment and you will see that it's very very dimly lit. Still absolutely amazing black levels.

Also don't know if its just my infuse but the colours are oversaturated...which isn't really a bad thing tbh. The striking vibrance is nice, even if it's innaccurate.

pretty sure that's wrong and tools that measure that sort of thing show there is literally zero light coming from the black pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom