• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

There appears to be tighter integration with other services - there's a section in Settings that has Accounts. The "add an account" offers Skype and Dropbox as first-class citizens. I assume that's only because I have the apps installed? I'd actually already configured Dropbox through 1Password, and Dropbox is listed in my Accounts list right next to my Google account. It's an interesting level of integration...

Been like that for aaages. Eclair I think? Before the accounts were listed as a subsection under Accounts but that's always been there. Exactly the same as with FB/Twitter. It's up to the application itself to insert itself there.

Fox318

So ics browser+ doesnt work on jelly bean?
Nope. The quick controls are better on the standard browser.

Why can't chrome have quick controls?
TWRP is better than CWM, IMO. It's much faster.

It can do the same things as CWM as far as flashing updates, nandroidbackups, and more right?

Should I reflash to stock before I update or should I just export my nandroid backup before flashing TWRP?

gimmmick

Brett left me hanging :(

Does anyone think this would be a good router if I'm just looking to set up a WiFi point for our mobile devices at home through our PC via cable modem?

41ONKzdlTKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTL0OA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I keep looking around, but this one seems to come pretty highly recommended in terms of its reliability.

That's the best router ever created. Been using mine since 2005, and still running like a champ.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's the best router ever created. Been using mine since 2005, and still running like a champ.

Yes a router initially based on 2001/2002 hardware designs with slight modifications over the years mainly for the worst is still the best router ever.

I swear this bugs the ever loving shit out of me in router threads, and I have multiple versions of this router hacked still.

Pctx

Banned
I'm just gonna daisy chain link three of them then, since brett says they're the best.

Saving mad cash.

Being a network guy, I got one of these for free and am running it in my house. :)
105a_web_image.jpg

$580-$700 retail 2.4-5GHz MiMO w/ a shit ton of options. Quite fun to play with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It can do the same things as CWM as far as flashing updates, nandroidbackups, and more right?

Should I reflash to stock before I update or should I just export my nandroid backup before flashing TWRP?

Yes.

Just flash over TWRP. If something gets jacked up, just reflash CWM. You can't use CWM backups for TWRP and vice versa.

Doopliss

Nope. The quick controls are better on the standard browser.

Why can't chrome have quick controls?

I really hope they add them, but given their reluctance to include any UI customisation stuff in the desktop browser I won't be holding my breath.

Blackhead

Redarse
Being a network guy, I got one of these for free and am running it in my house. :)
105a_web_image.jpg

$580-$700 retail 2.4-5GHz MiMO w/ a shit ton of options. Quite fun to play with.
What the heel is this monstrosity and how is it better than an airport extreme
so I can buy it ;)

VanWinkle

I'm a little bit of a noob in some ways for Android, because the last Android phone I had was a Droid Eris and I had no way to be a power user with that thing, lol. Anyway, I just got a Galaxy S III (it's amazing), and I had a question about messaging. I got Google Voice, so I could take my text plan away from Verizon, thus saving me $10 a month, which helps me. I've been using Google Voice to text and it's been working fine, but I don't really like the messaging UI. It's just in this boring list format. I saw in the settings that I can receive text messages either "via the Google Voice app" or "via the messagin app". I just want to know that, if I put set it to "via the messaging app", Verizon won't charge me for texts if it's going through the main Messaging app on the phone.

Husker86

I'm a little bit of a noob in some ways for Android, because the last Android phone I had was a Droid Eris and I had no way to be a power user with that thing, lol. Anyway, I just got a Galaxy S III (it's amazing), and I had a question about messaging. I got Google Voice, so I could take my text plan away from Verizon, thus saving me $10 a month, which helps me. I've been using Google Voice to text and it's been working fine, but I don't really like the messaging UI. It's just in this boring list format. I saw in the settings that I can receive text messages either "via the Google Voice app" or "via the messagin app". I just want to know that, if I put set it to "via the messaging app", Verizon won't charge me for texts if it's going through the main Messaging app on the phone.
Is that setting in the Google Voice app or the Web interface?

edit: Nevermind, testing it now.
edit2: changing it to stock messaging app and sending from there will send from your Verizon phone number so that won't work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You will get charged, yes. Use the Google Voice app. It's not that feature filled but it works. The UI isn't that bad but it gets very laggy. Or you can use the mobile website, which is even worse.

kehs

Banned
This post is dedicated to lunarworks.

While Android devices may not be designed to replace the common desktop/laptop, that doesn't mean they can't be used for productivity. And one of the best uses for a device like a tablet is to stay organized. As such, it's not uncommon for users to want to store important documents within their devices. The problem is: how do you get a document from paper to digital without having to go through the trouble of first using a computer? Enter Accusoft USB Scanner.

Just likes its name suggests, USB Scanner allows you to interface with a USB scanner directly from your Android device. It can send documents directly to apps like Evernote, Google Drive, Gmail, Box, and "many others," as well as share documents through the normal channels.

Accusoft USB Scanner supports a few of the most commonly used formats, including PDF, JPEG, TIFF and BMP.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...terface-with-a-scanner-directly-from-android/

Griffin

Loving Google Now

but is there a way to keep language on US English and have the metric and Celsius system? I don't like my results in miles and Fahrenheit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
After the first week of my phone I can say put me in the Verge camp. The One X is by far the best mobile phone screen I've ever seen. By far. Not even close.

If anyone cares I can post a run down of my first week moving to android on an ICS based phone as well as the One X specifically.

VanWinkle

After the first week of my phone I can say put me in the Verge camp. The One X is by far the best mobile phone screen I've ever seen. By far. Not even close.

If anyone cares I can post a run down of my first week moving to android on an ICS based phone as well as the One X specifically.

I would like to read it. What phone did you have before the One X?

Dizzan

MINI Member

I'd like that :)

Brother is getting one and considering getting one for the wife. Trying to be patient though to see iPhine 5 and Nexus...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to take screen captures of text messages? I own a Samsung Galaxy Gio and you have to press the middle button and the back button to take a screen cap, but every time I do that the phone goes back to the main threads page and takes a scree cap of that instead of the thread messages.

It's running 2.3.4 - I've managed to get it to take screen caps of the text message, but it requires me holding the buttons down and taking a pic of the main threads first then going back to the specific thread and pressing the middle button - kinda annoying.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

How are you finding the multi tasking on the One X? I got an XL from Telstra when I upgraded my plan this week but Sense seems militant with background tasks - I can't get certain music apps to even play in the background! They work fine on my ICS Xperia S with no problems. I also get heaps of reloading on Chrome, to the point where I've moved it back to use Dolphin.

The screen is stunning, though.

Cipherr

Hop on the train to ROM city.

Nah, I can wait its not a big deal. Just odd, I thought they had stopped shipping them to update to 4.1 before resuming. But I still have my on device search and all :D Besides, there were some people claiming you couldn't get Flash post 4.1 update. I grabbed it fast as hell as soon as my phone came.

My family is ready to upgrade to smartphones on Verizon. I want a Nexus, my mom wants a Stratosphere because it has a keyboard and my brother wants an HTC Rhyme (lol). Any better suggestions? They're all very cheap on Amazon.

zbeeb

My family is ready to upgrade to smartphones on Verizon. I want a Nexus, my mom wants a Stratosphere because it has a keyboard and my brother wants an HTC Rhyme (lol). Any better suggestions? They're all very cheap on Amazon.

You're going to let your brother get an htc ryhme over a nexus?

I don't know about the US, but in Australia the Rhyme was marketed exclusively towards women and came in two colours - baby blue and baby pink.

That and its a seriously inferior phone.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I don't know about the US, but in Australia the Rhyme was marketed exclusively towards women and came in two colours - baby blue and baby pink.

That and its a seriously inferior phone.

It was marketed towards women here too, but as far as I can tell, only came in purple here

tino

Banned
Do you guys think Google will put Android app/Game support in google tv? Lets forget OUYA for a second and just look at where Google TV is going.

If Google want to sell yearly update of Google TV box to hook up to the TV then sooner or later they will include the game playing function. First of all, the cost of entry is so low, just look at the cost of OUYA. Second of all, Apple is probably going to do it. If Apple is doing it then why shouldn't Google do it? So when do you think Google will do it?

In a way I think the OUYA box is testing the water like what the B&N Nook Color did to the low cost 7" tablet market. The Nook Color and Fire showed there is a market for 7" tablet, and Google follow suit one and a half year later. I certainly hope Google release a Game console/Google TV sooner than that.

What I want, is a TV box that can run 3rd party apps and play low end games. Being able to run third party app like Android or iOS devices is the most important part. I look at all the setup box solution of the market, they are all horrible. You can't even find one that can download video podcast for you. Not to mention simply things like bookmarking my NAS video path etc etc. I know I can get a OUYA box or one of those $40 linux box to do it. But I shouldn't have to. Either Apple or Google should have an official solution! I have given up hope on Playstation and Xbox. Their ecosystems are closed and are impossible to tinker with.

Roko

I'd like to hear your impressions. I'm thinking about the One X because of the screen but there are some things that give me concern over getting an S3, such as the aggressive killing of background apps.

TheTowel

Not sure how it is for the One X these days but I recently picked up an EVO 4g LTE and multitasking has been improved since day one. There was a workaround HTC told me about. Multitasking works for most apps but not with resource hog apps.

Head into settings, then developer options and select do not keep tasks. Reboot the phone. Head back into dev options and deselect dev options.

I can stream, browse, email, and use apps like xda without the phone reloading the app. Not sure if the workaround was implemented on the One X but the results are worth a shot.

kehs

Banned
Do you guys think Google will put Android app/Game support in google tv? Lets forget OUYA for a second and just look at where Google TV is going.

If Google want to sell yearly update of Google TV box to hook up to the TV then sooner or later they will include the game playing function. First of all, the cost of entry is so low, just look at the cost of OUYA. Second of all, Apple is probably going to do it. If Apple is doing it then why shouldn't Google do it? So when do you think Google will do it?

In a way I think the OUYA box is testing the water like what the B&N Nook Color did to the low cost 7" tablet market. The Nook Color and Fire showed there is a market for 7" tablet, and Google follow suit one and a half year later. I certainly hope Google release a Game console/Google TV sooner than that.

What I want, is a TV box that can run 3rd party apps and play low end games. Being able to run third party app like Android or iOS devices is the most important part. I look at all the setup box solution of the market, they are all horrible. You can't even find one that can download video podcast for you. Not to mention simply things like bookmarking my NAS video path etc etc. I know I can get a OUYA box or one of those $40 linux box to do it. But I shouldn't have to. Either Apple or Google should have an official solution! I have given up hope on Playstation and Xbox. Their ecosystems are closed and are impossible to tinker with.

The Vizio Costart comes preloaded with Onlive. They are definitely eyeing the gaming/console market.

The limitation with Google TV is the store not showing apps that could potentially work fine, but a little clumsy to navigate. Unless the dev specifically targets TV devices and/or non touch screen devices in the store you won't see them.

You can absolutely access network shares on Google TV with the right app. The XBMC is going to be a stellar addition for google tv.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
so apparently flash won't work in jelly bean? I don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it...

I'm pretty sure it's adobe's fault. Even MS was going to include flash in windows phone, or at least announced it, but adobe is pulling out of the mobile flash business and its not wise for Google and MS to support it like RIM had pledged to do.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
so apparently flash won't work in jelly bean? I don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it...
Works fine for me with Dolphin Browser on Jelly Bean (scrolling and touch response are much improved in Dolphin on JB, too). Haven't tried the regular Browser since I only use that for a few sites (mostly mobile GAF).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom