• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Nexus S Jellybean SDK build seems to have all major problems fixed. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still out but will try it as soon as I get home

TheTowel

HTC update for the Evo 4g LTE came through today. Fixed a few bugs - wifi disconnect, proximity sensor sensitivity and a few other things. Multitasking seems improved. Nice to finally get an update. I also sent HTC an email about multitasking a few days ago and they said they will pass the information on to their development team to consider in their jelly bean update. Whatever that means.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Has anyone used mr root to root their phones here? Other than not being able to find a version, I wonder if its as easy as advertised

Pein

Banned
Meanwhile the HTC Evo 3D, which was one of the first phones that promised ICS, still hasn't been updated :|

thats kinda crazy, the vivid and the amaze already got ics and they came out way later than the evo 3D. Hell the evo v 4g even has ics and its just a renamed 3D.

Loving ICS on my skyrocket, super smooth not as nice as my one x but it definitely makes the need to upgrade to the S3 a lot smaller.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
thats kinda crazy, the vivid and the amaze already got ics and they came out way later than the evo 3D. Hell the evo v 4g even has ics and its just a renamed 3D.

Loving ICS on my skyrocket, super smooth not as nice as my one x but it definitely makes the need to upgrade to the S3 a lot smaller.

They are doing dumb stuff like this a lot. I mean the Desire HD is on HTC's ICS list, but the Inspire 4g isn't despite just being the NA release of the Desire HD with a new name.

TheTowel

If HTC wants to get their sales figures back up they need to stop burning people. Update your old devices and stop selling a million phones which are distinguishable from one another. It's taken them a month to update the Evo 4g lte.

Pachimari

Come to thnk of it, can one use it's Android (Galaxy Nexus) as a universal remote or at least a tv remote somehow?

I only need functions to turn on/off the tv, change channels and change source.

Most TV's use IR as their remote interface which the GNex and most other mobiles lack so no, unless of course your TV can use a Bluetooth remote or you have some kind of Bluetooth to IR conversion kit.

Cipherr

So how many people have WiFi setups at home? Im switching carriers with my incoming phone and will now have limited data. Because of this I think I want to set up a WiFi hotspot here at home for us so Im not going over my data cap every month.

My PC in my office has no WiFi card, so I assume Ill have to buy one, I also just have it plugged right into the cable modem and then right into the wall, so no router either. Can anyone help me get started with putting that together? I would use the old PC threads but I dont think we have that anymore.

Really hoping for a USB solution, but Ill go PCI or PCI-E if I have too. Not to excited about having to grab a router either lol. Its overdue tho, any suggestions?

So how many people have WiFi setups at home? Im switching carriers with my incoming phone and will now have limited data. Because of this I think I want to set up a WiFi hotspot here at home for us so Im not going over my data cap every month.

My PC in my office has no WiFi card, so I assume Ill have to buy one, I also just have it plugged right into the cable modem and then right into the wall, so no router either. Can anyone help me get started with putting that together? I would use the old PC threads but I dont think we have that anymore.

Really hoping for a USB solution, but Ill go PCI or PCI-E if I have too. Not to excited about having to grab a router either lol. Its overdue tho, any suggestions?

It should be possible to just grab an USB WiFi dongle, set it up as Access Point and share your internet connection through that.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Do you think Cyanogen will release Jellybean to the SGS2?

I just got mine back from repair and they stuffed the carrier firmware back on it. I'm not going to waste my time going to CM9 if 10 is around the corner. What do you think Gaf?

Or if I put CM9 on, will they push the update out? I'm a bit of a noob....

woeds

Do you think Cyanogen will release Jellybean to the SGS2?

I just got mine back from repair and they stuffed the carrier firmware back on it. I'm not going to waste my time going to CM9 if 10 is around the corner. What do you think Gaf?

Or if I put CM9 on, will they push the update out? I'm a bit of a noob....

They can't right now. Android's audio subsystem got altered for Jelly Bean and that means the CM guys can't use the ICS drivers. Unfortunately, there are no sources available for the Yamaha-audiochip in the SGS II. So until Samsung decides to bring Jelly Bean to the SGS II, there will probably be no CM10. They need the drivers from a Samsung firmware.

Dizzan

MINI Member
They can't right now. Android's audio subsystem got altered for Jelly Bean and that means the CM guys can't use the ICS drivers. Unfortunately, there are no sources available for the Yamaha-audiochip in the SGS II. So until Samsung decides to bring Jelly Bean to the SGS II, there will probably be no CM10. They need the drivers from a Samsung firmware.

Ouch, thanks.

I guess I should put CM9 back on then. The Samsung firmware is absolute garbage.

panda21

i'm pretty sure the same thing happened with the ICS audio system but CM9 alpha with audio was released before the samsung firmware. maybe they used the leaked drivers or something but i thought they did it somehow.

gcubed

Does anyone know if Chrome for Android will be on the same 6 week cycle as the desktop versions?

not sure but they have been pretty consistent with the updates previous... although that could have been beta to final. I would assume they would iterate and update often though

gutshot

I would recommend getting a router over a USB dongle. For one, a router doesn't require the PC to be on to give your other devices wireless access. Also, if you ever decide to ditch your desktop and just go with a laptop, you aren't going to want to be tethered to your modem plus have that dongle on all the time.

Just go buy whichever wireless router on Amazon has the best reviews. You don't need to buy a WiFi card for your PC. You can just plug it into the router. All wireless routers also have a few wired ports as well. Plug your cable modem into the router and BAM, you have WiFi. Setting up security and everything shouldn't be too hard, most routers these days come with simple setup options, so you really just have to follow a few on-screen prompts and you should be set.

Vyer

Wait, are you saying you don't have wifi at all in your home? If so, I'd definitely just go with a router as it will probably be useful in some capacity going forward.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If HTC wants to get their sales figures back up they need to stop burning people. Update your old devices and stop selling a million phones which are distinguishable from one another. It's taken them a month to update the Evo 4g lte.

Supposedly they have turned over a new leaf both in terms of design and updates. Now it still appears older phones are being hung out to dry, but a lot of their new ICS based brands are being supported. The One X has already been patched, and the Evo 4G is currently being patched. So hopefully this shows promise for the future.

I still wish my GF would get an update though as stock firmware on her Inspire sucks. Even just an update to 2.3.6 for gingerbread over 2.3.3 would be nice.

PS: Just buy a wireless N Router. I have my preferences in this department, but almost any of the new routers will do.

thespot84

Most TV's use IR as their remote interface which the GNex and most other mobiles lack so no, unless of course your TV can use a Bluetooth remote or you have some kind of Bluetooth to IR conversion kit.

there are IR blasters, which are little ir transmitters that you tape over your components, that can be controlled by non-IR sources.

kehs

Banned
Come to thnk of it, can one use it's Android (Galaxy Nexus) as a universal remote or at least a tv remote somehow?

I only need functions to turn on/off the tv, change channels and change source.

Get a Google TV, they come with IR blasters to control your TV/DVD/AV Setup/etc.

Other companies also sell IR blaster dongles, but there were too expensive when I was looking at them($60).

NomarTyme

HTC update for the Evo 4g LTE came through today. Fixed a few bugs - wifi disconnect, proximity sensor sensitivity and a few other things. Multitasking seems improved. Nice to finally get an update. I also sent HTC an email about multitasking a few days ago and they said they will pass the information on to their development team to consider in their jelly bean update. Whatever that means.
Yay! I can finally use Google wallet, anyways still gonna use apex because htc sense is crap.

cO4Yc.jpg

white is coming this sunday

Cipherr

Wait, are you saying you don't have wifi at all in your home? If so, I'd definitely just go with a router as it will probably be useful in some capacity going forward.

Indeed, we have used a neighbors open WiFi whenever we actually needed a wireless connection for any device. I think its time we set up out own though, regardless of how infrequently we use it. They are aware that we used it time to time, we are decade old friends. As you said though, its long past time for us to setup our own though IMO.

I would recommend getting a router over a USB dongle. For one, a router doesn't require the PC to be on to give your other devices wireless access. Also, if you ever decide to ditch your desktop and just go with a laptop, you aren't going to want to be tethered to your modem plus have that dongle on all the time.

Just go buy whichever wireless router on Amazon has the best reviews. You don't need to buy a WiFi card for your PC. You can just plug it into the router. All wireless routers also have a few wired ports as well. Plug your cable modem into the router and BAM, you have WiFi. Setting up security and everything shouldn't be too hard, most routers these days come with simple setup options, so you really just have to follow a few on-screen prompts and you should be set.

This is extremely helpful, thank you. One thing I was worried about, is a G compatible router versus a newer N compatible. I am reading that the throughput is far superior on the newer N versions allowing you to stream HD content across your house. I am interested in that, but I can seem to easily find high rated G routers, but not very many high rated N routers on Amazon.

Pachimari

I wish Google would've updated the weather widget in Jelly Bean. The weather widget shows me a different temperature than Google Now.

Which reminded me of asking, how do one change the weather location of Google Now?

I want Now to use Google.com but I want it to show the weather from my country.

kehs

Banned
So I'll keep getting weather for Washington, even though I'm located in Denmark. =/

You can change the home/work locations from....latitude I believe.

--

Comments from Cyanogen:

I'm pretty impressed to far with the work that's gone into the Android HAL in Jelly Bean. It looks like there is the beginning of versioning support, and the graphics HAL is on-par with what OEMs are needing. The new display drivers for Qualcomm devices on JB don't require any framework changes at all, they just work. In the past, there were dozens of patches to implement specific optimizations for their hardware. I suspect that the PDK may be working :)

Hot diggity dog.

Translation: Less work for companies to provide updates.

Outsanity

Does anybody know if there's any way to "sync contacts" now in ICS? There used to be an option in the contacts menu but it seems to have been removed in ICS. This is on SGSII. Just trying to update contact photos with Facebook images.

SimleuqiR

Does anybody know if there's any way to "sync contacts" now in ICS? There used to be an option in the contacts menu but it seems to have been removed in ICS. This is on SGSII. Just trying to update contact photos with Facebook images.

Both Twitter and Facebook are at war with Google (Due to Google+).
Both have remove the ability to sync contacts to your phone.

Facebook originally synced only one way - your FB contacts would appear on your address book on the phone, but if you went to say Gmail they would not show up. Google felt that that was unfair since you could easily import your Gmail contacts on to Facebook.

They had a bit of a spat and the rest is history. Twitter then followed suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom