• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Does anybody know if there's any way to "sync contacts" now in ICS? There used to be an option in the contacts menu but it seems to have been removed in ICS. This is on SGSII. Just trying to update contact photos with Facebook images.

For Facebook, use Haxsync on the Play Store (It's a dollar). It syncs your contacts with higher res pictures, events and whatnot.

You're out of luck for Twitter though.

Outsanity

Both Twitter and Facebook are at war with Google (Due to Google+).
Both have remove the ability to sync contacts to your phone.

Facebook originally synced only one way - your FB contacts would appear on your address book on the phone, but if you went to say Gmail they would not show up. Google felt that that was unfair since you could easily import your Gmail contacts on to Facebook.

They had a bit of a spat and the rest is history. Twitter then followed suit.

For Facebook, use Haxsync on the Play Store (It's a dollar). It syncs your contacts with higher res pictures, events and whatnot.

You're out of luck for Twitter though.

Gah, ok. Cheers guys, see what I can do.

Kyoufu

Is Apex Launcher Pro worth it? I've been using the free one and it seems to have everything I want already.

Only if you want the unread count icons. Otherwise, not really.

It didn't work for me so I bought Nova instead, and that works like a charm.

RuGalz

Kinda got annoyed with TouchWiz so I tried Go Launcher. It fixed most of my problems. Only thing I ran into was that Go Power Meter or whatever it is called which is supposed to help with power consumption ended up draining the battery faster than without it; what gives...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Only if you want the unread count icons. Otherwise, not really.

It didn't work for me so I bought Nova instead, and that works like a charm.
Weird, my Apex was working for gmail perfectly now it's stopped. Frustrating.

Also having a problem with Widgetlocker - I'm running MOG (music streaming thing) and as soon as the screen locks the music stops. Without WL it works fine - any ideas? I've disabled all the lock/unlock etc sounds.

iavi

Can someone point me towards a good power control widget that isn't the stock ICS/JB one? Preferrebly, one with a dark 'glass.' Surprisingly enough, (or not given how long it took them to finally give a decent music widget) the current stock one doesn't fit the ICS theme at all.

Cipherr

Brett left me hanging :(

Does anyone think this would be a good router if I'm just looking to set up a WiFi point for our mobile devices at home through our PC via cable modem?

41ONKzdlTKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTL0OA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I keep looking around, but this one seems to come pretty highly recommended in terms of its reliability.

thespot84

Does anyone think this would be a good router if I'm just looking to set up a WiFi point for our mobile devices at home through our PC via cable modem?

I keep looking around, but this one seems to come pretty highly recommended in terms of its reliability.

I have wrt54's that havse been in service for almost a decade know. they're completely solid. AND most of them support DDWRT, which is an added plus if you like having control over things.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It was good back in the day, but it's kind of old in terms of innards. Yes I'm still here. :p

Most people don't understand about the inner hardware upgrades routers have gone through over the past few years beyond just wireless N.

Vanillalite

3 choices for you...

1) Linksys e3000

2) Netgear WNDR3400 (this is my router I personally use since I didn't need gigabit ethernet)

3) DLink N600

I picked these 3 because they are all dual band wireless N routers without going crazy. If you want to blow your budget get the WNDR4500 from Netgear and go nuts.

As good as the old stand by OG Linksys routers were (especially the L ala Linux models) they ARE old in terms of what powers the modem inside as well as hardware feature set like dual band and wireless N. Tomato or DD-WRT (I ran this on my old Linksys before I got my Netgear) can't magically fix the hardware. Stock 3400 blows my old Linksys out of the water with custom firmware.

Vanillalite

Are you savvy on "business" rated networking brett?

I need an 8+ port wired/wireless router capable of gigabit.

What's the layout? You might be better off getting 2 stock 4 port routers verses paying for an 8 port especially if you can range extend the wireless throughout the area.

kehs

Banned
What's the layout? You might be better off getting 2 stock 4 port routers verses paying for an 8 port especially if you can range extend the wireless throughout the area.

3 or 4 wired computers with a NAS (gigabit preferred)

2 or 3 networked printers (gigabit doesn't matter for these)

2 random networked devices (media players)

4 or 5 wireless devices (phones/tablets bandwidth not super important)

Would like to have "guest" network as well.

r1chard

Galaxy Nexus owners, I just did the Google Services Framework dance and am now on the Jelly Beans! :) Only took me a couple of tries - a co-worker had about 10 tries before his updated.

Oh, I had to "upgrade" from yakjuxw to yakju first...
bloody samsung
(important note: in those instructions do not skip any of the "optional" flashings except perhaps the CDMA one or the JB update will not install)

Vanillalite

3 or 4 wired computers with a NAS (gigabit preferred)

2 or 3 networked printers (gigabit doesn't matter for these)

2 random networked devices (media players)

4 or 5 wireless devices (phones/tablets bandwidth not super important)

Would like to have "guest" network as well.

Is all of the shit right next to each other? Do you already have cables run?

Sounds like you just need a solid SOHO Router. I prefer stuff from Cisco and or Netgear in the SOHO Range.

kehs

Banned
Is all of the shit right next to each other? Do you already have cables run?

Sounds like you just need a solid SOHO Router. I prefer stuff from Cisco and or Netgear in the SOHO Range.

Most of the wires are run already. It's running on a makeshift setup right now. 4 port netgear router with an 8 port neatgear switch. (I have to reset the router every other day because netgear can't find the time to fix a bug that makes logs too long >=| )

Everytime I look at routers/switches I end up looking at routers that cost like $1k. I'm guessing I need to just step my game up.

Vanillalite

Most of the wires are run already. It's running on a makeshift setup right now. 4 port router with an 8 port switch.

Everytime I look at routers/switches I end up looking at routers that cost like $1k. I'm guessing I need to just step my game up.

Eh seems like overkill. I mean you only need 8 ports, and spending $1k nets you probably like 16+ ports ie over half that shit isn't even being used.

Netgear as this....

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/GS108E.aspx

Then you could just get a separate wireless access point device.

Check out their little drawn diagram. Shit looks just like what you described to me.

kehs

Banned
Eh seems like overkill. I mean you only need 8 ports, and spending $1k nets you probably like 16+ ports ie over half that shit isn't even being used.

Netgear as this....

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/GS108E.aspx

Then you could just get a separate wireless access point device.

Check out their little drawn diagram. Shit looks just like what you described to me.

Doesn't hooking up devices that aren't gigabit to a gigabit switch bring everything down to megabit speeds? That's the main reason I keep eyeing the higher end setups since they allow multi speed ports.

There's two or three workstations accessing 500+mb files throughout the day, and that opening those up is a total buzzkill on 100mbps

Vanillalite

Doesn't hooking up devices that aren't gigabit to a gigabit switch bring everything down to megabit speeds? That's the main reason I keep eyeing the higher end setups since they allow multi speed ports.

That 16 port version gives you 2000 Mbps. IDK how much bandwidth you'd be using though outside of going to the NAS.

EDIT: NVM I saw your shit. Yeah gosh damn son 500 meg files. You might have to shell out more $$$ if you want something serious. :p

Zeppu

With the lastest FB update, messages are finally getting pushed through immediately. Which reminds me, do FB message notifications look like shit for anyone else?

HueZs.png

r1chard

Jelly Bean is smoooth. Buttery even.

It remains to be seen how useful Google Now is. A big issue in Australia is that the weather forecasts from most Android-app-using sources (WeatherNews, etc) is a bit crap - there's some apps that use the Australian Bureau of Meteorology as their source and they're significantly more accurate. Unfortunately Now doesn't use that source, it uses the generic sources.

There appears to be tighter integration with other services - there's a section in Settings that has Accounts. The "add an account" offers Skype and Dropbox as first-class citizens. I assume that's only because I have the apps installed? I'd actually already configured Dropbox through 1Password, and Dropbox is listed in my Accounts list right next to my Google account. It's an interesting level of integration...

The incremental improvements to the notifications shade are nice. Less blue is good.

Oh, the Google Now background changes based on the time of day / weather. Nice :)

The voice search is really well done. Its recognition is far beyond the previous Android attempts, and the search integration is pretty good.

Interestingly, a few weeks ago my wife was in a store looking at some laptop covers so she asked Siri "what are the dimensions of a 13 inch MacBook" and it basically didn't understand the question. She asked several variations, all with no result. Just asked my Google Nexus the same thing and the response was the Google Search including the first result being a tech spec page for the MacBook with the dimensions.

I'm still not sold on voice search (I feel like a right twat using it) but maybe it'll grow on me...

If any of you are Android modders, Dees_Troy from Team Win just released version 2.2.0 of their touch screen recovery. I beta tested it for them, and it's fucking awesome. It's the first Android recovery to actually have a keyboard and terminal emulator built in.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Works flawlessly on my Skyrocket and on the wifes Vivid.

panda21

on ICS with Now installed is there any way to get to google now without the search bit? like just the cards? I can get to it by pressing the search widget but i never actually use search on my phone.

oh and how do i tell it where home/work are? i cant find it. do i need to use latitude or something?

Doopliss

If any of you are Android modders, Dees_Troy from Team Win just released version 2.2.0 of their touch screen recovery. I beta tested it for them, and it's fucking awesome. It's the first Android recovery to actually have a keyboard and terminal emulator built in.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Works flawlessly on my Skyrocket and on the wifes Vivid.
Oh, it has a terminal emulator. I'd heard them talking about the new keyboard and wondered wtf it was for.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Navigation now has the nice sounding voice. I'm still on ICS, Galaxy Note. Very cool.

Cudder

on ICS with Now installed is there any way to get to google now without the search bit? like just the cards? I can get to it by pressing the search widget but i never actually use search on my phone.

oh and how do i tell it where home/work are? i cant find it. do i need to use latitude or something?
Swipe up from your home button.

kehs

Banned
Jelly Bean is smoooth. Buttery even.

It remains to be seen how useful Google Now is. A big issue in Australia is that the weather forecasts from most Android-app-using sources (WeatherNews, etc) is a bit crap - there's some apps that use the Australian Bureau of Meteorology as their source and they're significantly more accurate. Unfortunately Now doesn't use that source, it uses the generic sources.

There appears to be tighter integration with other services - there's a section in Settings that has Accounts. The "add an account" offers Skype and Dropbox as first-class citizens. I assume that's only because I have the apps installed? I'd actually already configured Dropbox through 1Password, and Dropbox is listed in my Accounts list right next to my Google account. It's an interesting level of integration...

The incremental improvements to the notifications shade are nice. Less blue is good.

Oh, the Google Now background changes based on the time of day / weather. Nice :)

The voice search is really well done. Its recognition is far beyond the previous Android attempts, and the search integration is pretty good.

Interestingly, a few weeks ago my wife was in a store looking at some laptop covers so she asked Siri "what are the dimensions of a 13 inch MacBook" and it basically didn't understand the question. She asked several variations, all with no result. Just asked my Google Nexus the same thing and the response was the Google Search including the first result being a tech spec page for the MacBook with the dimensions.

I'm still not sold on voice search (I feel like a right twat using it) but maybe it'll grow on me...

You got me all excited about Now integration with accounts. The accounts stuff has always been there, they just surfaced it more. Since Dropbox has a sync service, they put it there so it's easier to manager.

jokkir

Can someone check with their Galaxy Nexus on Jellybean if they ask their phone using Google Now/Voice Search it gives them only the Washington, DC location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom