• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephemeris

We got a hipster here guys! Get him!

street-fighter-4-android-540x412.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The bezel is huge because the phone is huge. You have to put the battery somewhere after all, so if you can't make the phone fatter, you have to make it wider.
Not buying that. The battery isn't very high capacity and the phone isn't much thinner than other top smartphones out right now. I think it's a conscious design choice on Moto's part.

SimleuqiR

Jelly Bean on the Xoom may only be a nightly but it already seems a million miles away from Honeycomb. It's amazing how powerful it is compared to when I bought it. I remember when the browser was ass. Now it's actually a really decent budget 10" tablet if you buy second hand and have wrists like Superman.

This is good new for my Transformer T101. The last ICS update stabilized it a bit, but I wouldn't mind seeing JB speed things up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not buying that. The battery isn't very high capacity and the phone isn't much thinner than other top smartphones out right now. I think it's a conscious design choice on Moto's part.

Yeah the GS3 and One X are both really large yet still really thin and light phones. Neither of those phones have massive bezels.

Kibbles

Is Project Butter hardware or software tied with Jellybean? Would love to get a custom rom on my infuse whenever one is available that works well.

Gents,

Can't decide between a Xoom 2 media edition 8.2" tablet or Nexus 7. One is obviously a nexus the other is a Motorola which I guess becomes as good as a Nexus. Xoom has a worse chip set though.

But my main angst is have read reports that the Xoom 2 has a not so good screen. Can anyone with a Xoom confirm, would you recommend.

Carphone warehouse is doing a sale on Motorola Zooms from £200.

Zeppu

Gents,

Can't decide between a Xoom 2 media edition 8.2" tablet or Nexus 7. One is obviously a nexus the other is a Motorola which I guess becomes as good as a Nexus. Xoom has a worse chip set though.

But my main angst is have read reports that the Xoom 2 has a not so good screen. Can anyone with a Xoom confirm, would you recommend.

Carphone warehouse is doing a sale on Motorola Zooms from £200.

Including price, you mentioned four ways in which the Nexus 7 is better than the Xoom 2.

gcubed

Nexus 7

You've already thought too much about it. There is no evidence that moto will become more tightly nit with Google as of now... so relying on that for faster updates will only end in disappointment... and everything else is better on the 7 anyway

Vanillalite

RUMOR: Actual Quad Core Tegra 3 Version of the One X in the Works with LTE

Article!

HTC impressed everyone in the Android world back in February when they announced their brand new HTC One banded devices like the One X, One S, and the budget friendly One V. AT&T quickly jumped on the flagship HTC One X with it’s 4.7-inch display, Android 4.0 ICS, and a quad-core processor. Sadly for their 4G LTE rollout plans they ended up switching to a dual-core processor instead. Today however a brand new HTC One phone was spotted with some mighty impressive specs.

Today the folks from PocketNow have stumbled onto some new benchmark tests being ran by the guys at HTC. This unknown device is rocking an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor only it is boosted to 1.7 GHz and also appears to rock AT&T 4G LTE. We knew NVIDIA was hard at work getting Tegra 3 to also support 4G LTE radios, but it appears they are now reaching the final testing phase. This is good news for NVIDIA.

The details are light on this one but according to GLBenchmark HTC has a new phone the PM63100 with a codename listed as “Evitare UL” which is similar for the codename of HTC’s One XL that later became AT&T’s One X. The Evitare is running NVIDIA’s quad-core at 1.7 GHz and the same 1280 x 720p HD display. There’s no way to figure out the actual screen size at the moment, and testing is being done on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

It looks like HTC and AT&T may be preparing a quad-core 4G LTE smartphone to arrive sometime here in Q3 and hopefully running on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean instead. Back in May NVIDIA’s Icera LTE modem was cleared to run on AT&T, but was expected to not arrive until next year. We’ll keep our ears open for more details on this mystery device and update once we know anything more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You fucked up Frank.

Just back up and do a system format/reset. Other than that....

Its gonna be a looong wait till the iPhone 5 meng.

So, tried this and my camera still doesn't work. Kind of frustrating that the camera worked on a rom but not stock now. It's the one thing I want to work until I get a new phone. I need to find a friend with Linux to re-root this thing I guess.

gcubed

RUMOR: Actual Quad Core Tegra 3 Version of the One X in the Works with LTE

Article!

HTC impressed everyone in the Android world back in February when they announced their brand new HTC One banded devices like the One X, One S, and the budget friendly One V. AT&T quickly jumped on the flagship HTC One X with it’s 4.7-inch display, Android 4.0 ICS, and a quad-core processor. Sadly for their 4G LTE rollout plans they ended up switching to a dual-core processor instead. Today however a brand new HTC One phone was spotted with some mighty impressive specs.

Today the folks from PocketNow have stumbled onto some new benchmark tests being ran by the guys at HTC. This unknown device is rocking an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor only it is boosted to 1.7 GHz and also appears to rock AT&T 4G LTE. We knew NVIDIA was hard at work getting Tegra 3 to also support 4G LTE radios, but it appears they are now reaching the final testing phase. This is good news for NVIDIA.

The details are light on this one but according to GLBenchmark HTC has a new phone the PM63100 with a codename listed as “Evitare UL” which is similar for the codename of HTC’s One XL that later became AT&T’s One X. The Evitare is running NVIDIA’s quad-core at 1.7 GHz and the same 1280 x 720p HD display. There’s no way to figure out the actual screen size at the moment, and testing is being done on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

It looks like HTC and AT&T may be preparing a quad-core 4G LTE smartphone to arrive sometime here in Q3 and hopefully running on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean instead. Back in May NVIDIA’s Icera LTE modem was cleared to run on AT&T, but was expected to not arrive until next year. We’ll keep our ears open for more details on this mystery device and update once we know anything more.

meh, i think the S4 is actually a better chipset paired with LTE.

Vanillalite

meh, i think the S4 is actually a better chipset paired with LTE.

I don't disagree. We all knew this was coming though. I mean nvidia's main chipset is the tegra 3 and if they need an lte version for NA.

I worry that'll be a downgrade though. Thry are upping the clock speed even over the EU stuff currently out though. I wonder if anyone else also has any lte tegra products in the works besides HTC.

gcubed

I don't disagree. We all kneW this was coming though. I mean nvidia's main chipset is the tegra 3 and if they need an lte version for NA.

I worry that'll be a downgrade though. Thry are upping the clock speed even over the EU stuff currently out though. I wonder if anyone else also has any lte tegra products in the works besides HTC.

their next chipset moving to A15's has it built in. I'm not sure this is actually built in is it? Thats just a waste of power. What we really need is someone (ahem Verizon since you have by far the largest footprint) to start pushing VoLTE so they can disable 3G radios when in an LTE area.

Vanillalite

I just don't want a quad core that's going to kill my frick'n battery. It's already shown that the S4 LTE phones are actually better in the battery department than their Quad Core counter parts across the pond.

The speed boost is nice, but I'd rather currently go the optimization route that Google is going with Jelly Bean and Project Butter verses moving to a Quad Core just to fix some speed issues at the expense of the battery life.

I just don't want a quad core that's going to kill my frick'n battery. It's already shown that the S4 LTE phones are actually better in the battery department than their Quad Core counter parts across the pond.

The speed boost is nice, but I'd rather currently go the optimization route that Google is going with Jelly Bean and Project Butter verses moving to a Quad Core just to fix some speed issues at the expense of the battery life.

I think at this point, throwing faster and faster processors at Android seems like a waste of everyone's money and battery life. Optimize first. The Google Nexus with Jelly Bean is finally as fast as it should be, now the optimization has to trickle down to the apps (Groupon is a big offender right now. Holy fuck, it's so bad guys.) and then we can talk about Quad Core processors.

tino

Banned

You are going to have to wait till next year for a non-Qualcomm LTE SoC to show up in the US. Samsung already has their version of Exynos+LTE solution in Korea.

gcubed

You are going to have to wait till next year for a non-Qualcomm LTE SoC to show up in the US. Samsung already has their version of Exynos+LTE solution in Korea.

yup, you'll see the integrated LTE and A15's at CES/MWC early next year. That being said, you still aren't going to gain much until you can stop running 2 radios.

Vanillalite

Not a big deal to most people anyways.

Put in the camp I'd rather see Jelly Bean become widespread as well as better app resource management coupled with increased LTE coverage before I really care about a hardware bump over the One X/GS3 phones that are already out.

I think the current high end hardware can last a good while. We just need to iron out all of these other connected issues.

kehs

Banned
Google to help HTC in ITC suit.
According to a header from a sealed document unearthed by FOSSPatents, Google has requested to intervene in an ITC patent lawsuit between HTC and Nokia as co-defendant to the Taiwanese smartphone-maker. This is the first time Google has ever filed as an intervening 3rd-party in a patent lawsuit between one of its hardware partners and a competitor, so it may be the sign of a shift in strategy for the company.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...o-defend-htc-against-nokia-in-patent-lawsuit/

What a bunch of hypocrites, first they buy all these patents, now they're patent trolling Nokia on behalf of HTC.

Disgusting.

---

Jellybean super secure. Hopefully it will still be secure in 2015 when people get it.

In an analysis published Monday, security researcher Jon Oberheide said Android version 4.1, aka Jelly Bean, is the first version of the Google-developed OS to properly implement a protection known as address space layout randomization. ASLR, as it's more often referred to, randomizes the memory locations for the library, stack, heap, and most other OS data structures. As a result, hackers who exploit memory corruption bugs that inevitably crop up in complex pieces of code are unable to know in advance where their malicious payloads will be loaded. When combined with a separate defense known as data execution prevention, ASLR can effectively neutralize such attacks.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/07/android-jelly-bean-hard-to-exploit/

Zee-Row

Banned
Sprint finally released ice cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2 today and I can get the Wii Remote to work with it to play games but it still doesnt see the PS3 controller. How do I get it to work?

My brother just got an Samsung Galaxy S2 and I can't get it to update to ICS. What gives?

I even installed that Samgung Kies software and it says the device is up to date -.-

Any other way I can do this, preferably without rooting it.

tino

Banned
Sprint finally released ice cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2 today and I can get the Wii Remote to work with it to play games but it still doesnt see the PS3 controller. How do I get it to work?

Did you follow the instruction? You need to input the phone bluetooth address from a pc.

Doopliss

Not a big deal to most people anyways.

Put in the camp I'd rather see Jelly Bean become widespread as well as better app resource management coupled with increased LTE coverage before I really care about a hardware bump over the One X/GS3 phones that are already out.

I think the current high end hardware can last a good while. We just need to iron out all of these other connected issues.
Funny that you should want the current phones to remain the best, considering you just bought one.

Guys, the Walkman is back!

rRbzn.jpg

Treat yourself to an extreme on-the-go entertainment experience. Powered by AndroidTM 4.0 (“Ice Cream Sandwich”), the web-enabled Walkman® F800 Series lets you enjoy a generous range of pre-installed apps, from email to maps and media gallery. Connect wirelessly via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® and download more from an ever-growing choice on Google PlayTM. Interacting with your media collection, apps and games is a pleasure, thanks to the large, highly-responsive 8.9cm/3.5” multi-touch screen, plus plenty of processing power for smooth, speedy responses.

You’ll enjoy crisp highs and full, thumping bass powered by S-Master MX Digital Amplifier and five Clear Audio technologies. You can even share your sounds out loud via the built-in xLOUD® speaker system that cuts distortion and unpleasant clipping for clearer listening.

Man, I can't wait for this!

Vanillalite

Funny that you should want the current phones to remain the best, considering you just bought one.

No it's more that I think like computers we're hitting that C2D like stage on phones where it's good enough power wise for what 90% of the population does on a normal basis. I think other platforms have already been there, and now with ICS phones Android is too.

It's also not wanting current phones to be the best. It's just finally for thr first time ever I'm content with Android performance wise in terms of hardware and would rather see effort put into other areas lacking.

SimleuqiR

Guys, the Walkman is back!

http://i.imgur.com/rRbzn.jpg

Man, I can't wait for this!

Wow. Actually pretty surprised by this. Shame it'll completely bomb. Walkman is a dead brand in world where everyone thinks iPods were the first mp3 players.

Yup. So how about they build wall that good stuff into a smartphone?
Most people don't carry a portable music player with them any longer.

Put all this junk on the next Nexus, Sony.

That new Sony Walkman will cost £210 compared to £199 for the 16gb Nexus 7 in the UK and it only has a Tegra 2 inside. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why is Sony launching a PMP player? They think it's 2002?

iPod touch sells pretty well. Android barely has anything like it. Good idea by Sony. Execution of the idea, maybe not.

Talon

iPod touch sells pretty well. Android barely has anything like it. Good idea by Sony. Execution of the idea, maybe not.
iPod Touch has declined steadily over the last couple quarters. Apple knew it was cannibalizing its own market with iPhones, and they're clearly okay with letting the thing sit out without reiterating it every year.

There's no growth there. Why would you, as a company, invest resources in a space that is (a) declining and (b) you have failed to make a measured dent in ever due to your hamfisted software (and your reticence to run with hard drives for about 4 years and emphasize proprietary hardware, first with MiniDisc and then MagicGate).

tl;dr Sony being Sony

belvedere

Junior Butler
Reviving a friend's Droid X to give to his GF. Stability wise, does anyone have any recommendations for a good custom ROM? I don't care if it's GB.

Predictably the custom ROM community is pretty quiet for this device.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
iPod Touch has declined steadily over the last couple quarters. Apple knew it was cannibalizing its own market with iPhones, and they're clearly okay with letting the thing sit out without reiterating it every year.

There's no growth there. Why would you, as a company, invest resources in a space that is (a) declining and (b) you have failed to make a measured dent in ever due to your hamfisted software (and your reticence to run with hard drives for about 4 years and emphasize proprietary hardware, first with MiniDisc and then MagicGate).

tl;dr Sony being Sony

I don't see the big deal. Make a good smart phone. Remove network stuff. Bam, instant iPod Touch competitor. No big investment. No growth isn't a big deal for something so easily achievable. But maybe I don't know how expensive it can be and there are reasons.

Sony being Sony is something I hope they've gotten over. But we'll see :/

Oxn

Are there any notes app without online function?

I just want a no frills app to make notes or list or to-dos on without it going to the cloud.

Things like ever note and ink pad is what I don't want.

Ink pad is nice but something like that without it uploading my notes to the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom