• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Reviving a friend's Droid X to give to his GF. Stability wise, does anyone have any recommendations for a good custom ROM? I don't care if it's GB.

Predictably the custom ROM community is pretty quiet for this device.

Sbf it and run it with the latest stock update.

Crazyorloco

Finally got Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy S2 (Epic Touch), I love it, but my battery life seems to drain quicker. Loving face unlock!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Reviving a friend's Droid X to give to his GF. Stability wise, does anyone have any recommendations for a good custom ROM? I don't care if it's GB.

Predictably the custom ROM community is pretty quiet for this device.

Apex is the best I've found on Droid X.

Sbf it and run it with the latest stock update.

I SBF'd to stock and now my battery is awful and my camera doesn't work. Worse thing is I upgraded all the way and now I can't SBF anymore. Sigh.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I SBF'd to stock and now my battery is awful and my camera doesn't work. Worse thing is I upgraded all the way and now I can't SBF anymore. Sigh.

I was reading about that as well so before I updated and potentially got stuck at 621 I wanted to try a couple of custom roms. I just flashed the latest CM4DX that has gotten good feedback. I'll give Apex a look too.

kinggroin

Banned

Not to be a dick cyclone, but that's definitely an exception to the rule.

I have stuck running on two of my friend's DXs as well as my wife's, and not a single problem other than it being slow compared to today's phones. The stock GB isn't perfect, but it gets the job done and is great for smartphone newcomers.

Bricfa

Hi guys. So I've noticed the music player on my galaxy nexus has a slight pause between tracks. It's kind of annoying for live albums, etc. Is there a setting somewhere i can change it? Or is there a good free alternative without this issue?

Can I transfer my normal launcher layout to Nova Launcher? I spent all night playing with it and, aside from the bigger dock and fancy effects, I like the normal launcher layout more.

tino

Banned
iPod Touch has declined steadily over the last couple quarters. Apple knew it was cannibalizing its own market with iPhones, and they're clearly okay with letting the thing sit out without reiterating it every year.

There's no growth there. Why would you, as a company, invest resources in a space that is (a) declining and (b) you have failed to make a measured dent in ever due to your hamfisted software (and your reticence to run with hard drives for about 4 years and emphasize proprietary hardware, first with MiniDisc and then MagicGate).

tl;dr Sony being Sony

If Sony have half a brain and build some special hardware in it, it will sell very well to the niche crowds. For example, a IR port for the HTPC crowds, a CF reader for the photographers, or a pair of build in bluetooth earbuds that can plug into the walkman to recharge etc. (I just sold my Sony stocks on my portfolio today and cut my 50% lose.)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
iPod touch sells pretty well. Android barely has anything like it. Good idea by Sony. Execution of the idea, maybe not.

Actually it does. Creative has been using Android as the base OS for it's mp3/media players the last 2 years.

Nobody seems to cover those devices tho.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Actually it does. Creative has been using Android as the base OS for it's mp3/media players the last 2 years.

Nobody seems to cover those devices tho.

Are they AOSP versions or forked? Can you get to Play Store?

JordanKZ

Are they AOSP versions or forked? Can you get to Play Store?

Last thing I heard their devices use a Kindle Fire-esk forked version of Gingerbread and lack access to the Play Store. Loved to be proved wrong.

It's worse. It's Froyo :(

http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-touch-2/948-20275.aspx

EDIT: Also, that device is literally ugly as sin. What the shit at the size of those soft buttons?!

EDIT2: 480x320 3.2" resistive touch screen? Jesus christ Creative. You guys used to make amazing MP3 players...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Last thing I heard their devices use a Kindle Fire-esk forked version of Gingerbread and lack access to the Play Store. Loved to be proved wrong.

It's worse. It's Froyo :(

http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-touch-2/948-20275.aspx

EDIT: Also, that device is literally ugly as sin. What the shit at the size of those soft buttons?!

EDIT2: 480x320 3.2" resistive touch screen? Jesus christ Creative. You guys used to make amazing MP3 players...

lol

I forgot they were 2.2. They plan on going to 4.0 some time this year with the new models.

kehs

Banned

JordanKZ

Google finally putting some pressure on developers:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/07/getting-your-app-ready-for-jelly-bean.html

(Is Voice preloaded on the N7, cause if so, then lol at their judging comment.)

I think you're reading that wrong. To me it sounds like "Hey, the end user sees our kick ass apps, you should probably make yours look as good as ours."

In other news, Google Music 4.3 has gone live for everyone who isn't running Jelly Bean... and it appears JB users have some bug fixes too. Grab it whilst it's hot:

Clicky!

I was able to install it via the Play Store site in the UK on both my Jelly Bean devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think you're reading that wrong. To me it sounds like "Hey, the end user sees our kick ass apps, you should probably make yours look as good as ours."

In other news, Google Music 4.3 has gone live for everyone who isn't running Jelly Bean... and it appears JB users have some bug fixes too. Grab it whilst it's hot:

Clicky!

I was able to install it via the Play Store site in the UK on both my Jelly Bean devices.

Legit Thanks!

Does anyone know if this is the version that finally adds gapless playback even for those not on jelly??

kehs

Banned

Clicky!

Yea, that's what I meant, except Voice, voice is really shit and always has been.

I hope this is the right thread for this: My friend Galaxy Nexus keeps freezing a rebooting on the loading screen by itself. We checked online and most forums suggest doing a factory reset. I was wondering though if doing this will delete everything on the SIM card or untie the phone to his carrier.

We are in Canada by the way, with Fido.

Any advice will be most helpful.

malyce

I hope this is the right thread for this: My friend Galaxy Nexus keeps freezing a rebooting on the loading screen by itself. We checked online and most forums suggest doing a factory reset. I was wondering though if doing this will delete everything on the SIM card or untie the phone to his carrier.

The Sim Card and the internal storage won't be touched. He will lose everything else though, like apps and their data etc...

Husker86

Nah, factory reset won't mess up any carrier things or SIM card data.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Scramble with friends must be the worst coded game of all time. I have been playing the free one for weeks, but it would freeze or restart my phone after 3 games, if I don't pull the battery out, I can't answer calls or use the browser. I thought the ads were draining the memory or something, so I bought the paid version and still no luck. Even if I kill the Scramble process, once I hit at best 3 rounds played, I might as well reboot my phone.

Have a Motorola Triumph, if that helps. Any ideas on how to fix this annoying issue?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Scramble with friends must be the worst coded game of all time. I have been playing the free one for weeks, but it would freeze or restart my phone after 3 games, if I don't pull the battery out, I can't answer calls or use the browser. I thought the ads were draining the memory or something, so I bought the paid version and still no luck. Even if I kill the Scramble process, once I hit at best 3 rounds played, I might as well reboot my phone.

Have a Motorola Triumph, if that helps. Any ideas on how to fix this annoying issue?

Uninstall Scramble with Friends?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Thought I would vent in here too

Seriously Google..........

As of 9:0pm on July 19th 2012 in Sydney the only details I've received are:

June 30 2012 17:04 Order Date
July 18 2012 19:03 Shipping Notification from Google Play
July 18 2012 05:11 Shipment information sent to FedEx (only entry on Fedex tracking site)

Since that time, the FedEx tracking has been stalled at the 'Initiated' stage and hasn't moved on to 'Picked up'

So, despite having received some temporary joy of being told it had shipped, my package has not seen the red beam from a single FedEx barcode scanner.

So frustrating when I can just walk down the road and buy one. And some people who ordered just a few days ago have already got theirs.

Also frustrating when quoted 2- 3 weeks and it will not meet that. And there's no chance of 2 day shipping which I paid $20 for.

it kept freezing your phone ... so you bought it? WAT

gcubed

Was there a thread about Verizon selling more "Droid" phones (not counting non Droid branded phones) than iphones? There is a thread every quarter when the opposite is true

kehs

Banned
Was there a thread about Verizon selling more "Droid" phones (not counting non Droid branded phones) than iphones? There is a thread every quarter when the opposite is true

It was inevitable. iPhones get their usual quarterly bump after a new version is released then flatten out again.

Third quarter and 4th quarter are going to be a massacre, since all these mid range phones are starting to be released again in the cycle, this time with ICS.

Ashhong

Hey anybody on ICS and using GoSMS, do you get the notification popups on the lock screen? I'm talking about the quick reply notification window so you don't have to unlock the phone to reply?

I am on the Galaxy S2 in CM9 and I have never gotten it since upgrading to CM9 from CM7. Not sure if it's an ICS issue or CM9. Additionally, anyone on CM9 or the S2 CM9 that can answer this question for me?

Pachimari

If my Galaxy Nexus is rooted and flashed with Jelly Bean 4.1, will anything happen if I reset the phone to factory settings? Will it still have Jelly Bean? And it's only the data it'll erase?

kehs

Banned
If my Galaxy Nexus is rooted and flashed with Jelly Bean 4.1, will anything happen if I reset the phone to factory settings? Will it still have Jelly Bean? And it's only the data it'll erase?

Only the data will be erased. The firmware version stays the same, I think the root is maintained.

Ashhong

I enjoy playing it, so I would rather just fix its problem...

I was thinking it was the ads in the game that was freezing it. 1 dollar is nothing compared to how many times I have played this game...

No issues on my Galaxy S2, and I play this game a ton every day. Although I do use an ad removal program to get rid of the ads (which doesn't even work half the time)

Nobody here uses ICS and GO SMS? :(

Dizzan

MINI Member
Fixed for you ;)

I would never expect 2 days shipping from the US to Aus

No, it's not Fedex. Fedex hasn't received the item from Google, only the shipping information.

And it's not coming from the States, it is coming from Hong Kong which is a stones throw from Australia in shipping terms. Irrespective, I was charged for 2 day shipping when I bought the Nexus then once they realised they had fucked up, they changed it to 3-5 day shipping.

Someone on another forum said they called Google last night as they ordered on the 29th of June and still had no confirmation email and he was told that there is another delay on the 16gb models. What a joke. Google has shown to me that they are still a long way behind their competitor when it comes to product releases.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's weird. I thought moving to a large phone that's > 4.3" would seem big. I use to think looking at my GF's 4.3" phone verses my old 4" Samsung was crazy. Now when I see her holding her phone it looks small, and when I look at my old phone it seems TINY. Yeah don't think I could ever go back now to a small phone. The screen real estate is just too bossly.

PS: OSCON 2012 is happening currently in Portland. Here's a link to the ANDROID APP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom