• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

Hey anybody on ICS and using GoSMS, do you get the notification popups on the lock screen? I'm talking about the quick reply notification window so you don't have to unlock the phone to reply?

I am on the Galaxy S2 in CM9 and I have never gotten it since upgrading to CM9 from CM7. Not sure if it's an ICS issue or CM9. Additionally, anyone on CM9 or the S2 CM9 that can answer this question for me?
I'm on the same phone (if you mean GT-9100) and ROM, but I don't use GoSMS....

I'm guessing, though, that this was a feature of CM7 that has been removed, since you can now just pull down the notifications drawer on the (slide) unlock screen.

Hey anybody on ICS and using GoSMS, do you get the notification popups on the lock screen? I'm talking about the quick reply notification window so you don't have to unlock the phone to reply?

I am on the Galaxy S2 in CM9 and I have never gotten it since upgrading to CM9 from CM7. Not sure if it's an ICS issue or CM9. Additionally, anyone on CM9 or the S2 CM9 that can answer this question for me?

I just use the Stock Messenger app on AOKP (I realize it's not CM9, but it's similar enough to AOSP compared to a ROM built off of Samsung) for my Galaxy S2, but I quickly downloaded and tested GoSMS and Handcent, and GoSMS didn't pop up on the lockscreen but Handcent did. Not sure why one works and the other doesn't. Hope that helps.

CM9 RC2 is out!!! Cyanogen says final should be 'soon' (no ETA!), then on to JB!

I enjoy playing it, so I would rather just fix its problem...

I was thinking it was the ads in the game that was freezing it. 1 dollar is nothing compared to how many times I have played this game...
oh, i'm all for buying stuff you like, i just dunno if i would buy something when the performance isn't up to snuff.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1784215

Mods closed the thread though. You need stock 4.0.4, might lose recovery when you flash and so on.

that's one thing i <3 about GAF

new threads for new news!

that XDA thread got closed because there was already a Jellybean 'countdown' megathread and they didn't even change the thread title to mention JB was out in the megathread!

kehs

Banned
My friend got a Nexus S.... how could you go to that thing? I could never leave my GN unless it's for something better.

I've always liked how the nexus s feels in my hand. Plus now that JR finally shipped my nexus 7 I won't be using my phone as much at home.

GatorBait

Put in my GNex order today in the Play Store! Ditching my old Droid Incredible and Verizon for that sweet, pure Google experience with timely updates.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've always liked how the nexus s feels in my hand. Plus now that JR finally shipped my nexus 7 I won't be using my phone as much at home.

Ewwww... going backwards in terms of that screen resolution and internal hardware capabilities though just seems... ewwww

kehs

Banned
Ewwww... going backwards in terms of that screen resolution and internal hardware capabilities though just seems... ewwww

I didn't say I was getting a Windows Phone!

kinggroin: I'm super excite to see how it performs, using ICS after using JB makes me feels like Tobor using an android phone.

kehs

Banned
Is there a thread where I can ask about USA cellular phone plans?

Yea, there's pre-paid thread on here somewhere. I'll edit my post if I find it, but there is one here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432840

I would totally trade you my Nexus S for your GNex ;) You'll have two Nexus S's!

Hah, I might actually end up with original Nexus one soon. Have you tried unloading it on craiglists for like $200 bucks and then paying the difference? Although at this point you might as well wait for the next Nexus at the end of the year. Nexus Padfone #believe.

Vanillalite

I just don't get why you'd want to go back to a single core 1ghz phone with a 800 x 480 screen when you already own an alternative. Those are WP7 launch specs btw in an Android device.

kehs

Banned
I just don't get why you'd want to go back to a single core 1ghz phone with a 800 x 480 screen when you already own an alternative. Those are WP7 launch specs btw in an Android device.

Exynos blows the pants off snapdragon, but it's mostly cause my phone is going to be relegated to a phone now. N7 ftw. That's really the main reason for it. I don't need a super duper phone if I have a 7in tablet around.

Ashhong

I'm on the same phone (if you mean GT-9100) and ROM, but I don't use GoSMS....

I'm guessing, though, that this was a feature of CM7 that has been removed, since you can now just pull down the notifications drawer on the (slide) unlock screen.

Nah, it's a feature of the program I believe.

I just use the Stock Messenger app on AOKP (I realize it's not CM9, but it's similar enough to AOSP compared to a ROM built off of Samsung) for my Galaxy S2, but I quickly downloaded and tested GoSMS and Handcent, and GoSMS didn't pop up on the lockscreen but Handcent did. Not sure why one works and the other doesn't. Hope that helps.

Thanks alot for checking. I guess I can check out Handcent...I've gotten so used to GO though.

Man Jelly Bean on Nexus S is a mixed bag. Scrolling etc. seem to be much smoother but app startup and lag in Google Now is really obvious at this point. Works great on the 7, though, and I can live with a LITTLE slowness.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
are on-screen buttons/no physical buttons a fad?
My tablets have no physical buttons and I thought all phones released after ICS would be the same >_>
Google needs to enforce this shit

Threi

notag

A single core phone can run android pretty damn well if i do say so myself. Just because there are quad-core phones that are complete overkill doesn't mean older phones are incapable of delivering a complete android experience. My infuse holds its own very well on ICS (and JB), even when compared directly with my Nexus 7.

Cipherr

are on-screen buttons/no physical buttons a fad?
My tablets have no physical buttons and I thought all phones released after ICS would be the same >_>
Google needs to enforce this shit

I think we can expect onscreen buttons from official Nexus devices going forward, but the manufacturers having the freedom to choose what to do with their hardware is a really big part of the OS. I think it would be a horrifying idea for them to enforce a rule like that.

Not to mention theres looooots of people who really like the capacitive buttons.

Cipherr

Ooooooooookay... can anyone tell me why phone GNex is suddenly playing a little tone when I lay it down on its back? Where the hell did this come from.

Edit: What in the holy fuck.... Okay I figured out what it was. I was sitting my phone down on top of my wallet and it would make this weird sound. I figured out its one of my Mastercards, the paypass one. Whenever I hold it up to the back of my phone that little tone goes off. The fucking hell?

Edit2: Crisis Averted, apparently the tone it makes is just the phone saying "I detect an NFC chip nearby but I cannot recall any data from it". That particular MC has a Paypass NFC in it. That had me worried my phone was busted for a moment.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Happened to me but I kinda figured it out immediately. :p But I'm a Google Wallet user so its NFC capabilities aren't usually far from my mind.

Engadget

HTC said:
We know HTC fans are excited to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android. At this point in time, we can confirm that we have plans to upgrade our HTC One X, HTC One XL and HTC One S to Jelly Bean. Please stay tuned for more updates regarding device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Jelly Bean."

Excellent

Vanillalite

A single core phone can run android pretty damn well if i do say so myself. Just because there are quad-core phones that are complete overkill doesn't mean older phones are incapable of delivering a complete android experience. My infuse holds its own very well on ICS (and JB), even when compared directly with my Nexus 7.

True, but he already owns a newer device that he uses everyday.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
more noteworthy Note II info: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...of-the-Galaxy-S-III-clocked-at-1.6GHz_id32491

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Samsung+GT-N7100&testgroup=system

A couple of scores for a Samsung GT-N7100 device have appeared in the GLBenchmark database, showcasing graphics prowess almost on par with Snapdragon S4 Pro devices with Adreno 320 GPU, which currently occupy four of the top five slots there.

Considering that the Samsung GT-N7000 is the Galaxy Note, this upcoming handset might very well be the Galaxy Note II, which is rumored to come with an even larger screen, but in a more compact body than the original Note, thanks to some bezel shrinkage.

The GLEnvironment and System Info tabs reveal an Exynos 4412 processor with Mali-400 graphics, just like the kit in the Samsung Galaxy S III, so if this GT-7100 is indeed the Note II, it won't be a Cortex-A15 endeavor. Makes perfect sense that Samsung will be willing to use the same Exynos, and keep the Cortex-A15 surprises for next year's generation and/or its future tablets, considering there is nothing overshadowing its Cortex-A9 out there right now, and the die shrink has already occurred.

The GT-N7100 scores higher in the Offscreen test than the Galaxy S III, which might mean Samsung will overclock the Exynos 4412 in the eventual Note II to squeeze some extra performance, just like it did with the Galaxy S II and the original Note last year. Indeed, the System Info tab shows 1.6GHz maximum frequency, whereas the quad-core Exynos in the S III is clocked at 1.4GHz, hence the boost in the GT-N7100 performance.

As for screen resolution, 1280x720 pixels is shown, and Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich is running the show on the alleged Note II for now. If we see an HD Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Note II with a regular RGB matrix, it will be a more welcome improvement than moving from a 4 to a 5-Series Exynos processor with the same die size, since the current quad-core has plenty of oomph for anything you throw at it anyway. August 30 is a few weeks away, so more info might leak in the meantime.

Thanks for the tip!

Vanillalite

So consider me parking myself in line... 1st in the waiting line for One updates!

Why do I have a feeling the international versions of the One X will get their update and AT&T will still be silent on the issue and then talk about like 3 months later. Then it'll be another 6 months after that till it rolls out. :(

PS: I wonder how Google Now will be incorporated into whatever version of Sense comes in the Jelly update.

SimleuqiR

Edit: What in the holy fuck.... Okay I figured out what it was. I was sitting my phone down on top of my wallet and it would make this weird sound. I figured out its one of my Mastercards, the paypass one. Whenever I hold it up to the back of my phone that little tone goes off. The fucking hell?

Edit2: Crisis Averted, apparently the tone it makes is just the phone saying "I detect an NFC chip nearby but I cannot recall any data from it". That particular MC has a Paypass NFC in it. That had me worried my phone was busted for a moment.

Yeah, I thought this was common knowledge. At least it was one of the first few things I noticed when I got the phone. Specially since I lay the phone on top of my wallet all the time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My guess: timing will be very slow. Probably enough for me to have upgraded to an AOSP ROM long before HTC get themselves sorted.

My guess is that it will arrive after HTC has put out 1-2 new phones with JB out of the box. It seems to be standard operating procedure for most manufacturers nowadays.

ep85

So consider me parking myself in line... 1st in the waiting line for One updates!

Why do I have a feeling the international versions of the One X will get their update and AT&T will still be silent on the issue and then talk about like 3 months later. Then it'll be another 6 months after that till it rolls out. :(

PS: I wonder how Google Now will be incorporated into whatever version of Sense comes in the Jelly update.

To give you some hope. The HTC Vivid on AT&T was one of the first phones (other then the nexii) to get ICS way back in March.

MarkusRJR

I have a question about the One X. Does the phone's multitasking become so aggressive to the point where you can't play music/podcasts while browsing the web?

Vanillalite

I have a question about the One X. Does the phone's multitasking become so aggressive to the point where you can't play music/podcasts while browsing the web?

I do both all the time, and I haven't had an issue. To be fair I don't run like 5 things at once though. It's usually just music + chrome/facebook/twitter.

MarkusRJR

I do both all the time, and I haven't had an issue. To be fair I don't run like 5 things at once though. It's usually just music + chrome/facebook/twitter.
Okay it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to seem. As long as I can competently run 2 programs at once I'm fine.

Also, is 6gb a month overkill when it comes to Android or could I survive off of 1gb or 5gb?

xxczx

as long as the app has an ongoing notification thing, it won't be killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom