• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Hopefully the battery is user replaceable, and the phone doesn't have that remote turn-off switch.
MicroSD too! Jeez, just yesterday was hating on SD cards but now that its taken away I want it back. :(

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
MicroSD too! Jeez, just yesterday was hating on SD cards but now that its taken away I want it back. :(

You were hating on SD cards? For sure, I thought you were salivating after them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know who I am anymore.
I like the OP, btw. Just read it.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
I don't even know who I am anymore.

I just realized your name is Jtwo. That's the first initial of my name.

am I you?

I hope so...cause that means at least I'm getting laid soon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh cool. I will totally actually get on that.

Fatalah

reKon said:
tumblr_lspb9gf8xZ1r4smp9o1_500.jpg

mmmm

Neither TinEye or Google Image Search come up with anything. Source?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Ill whip something up eventually. Embroirdery is really fun to just sit and zone out and do. For some reaosn I think the aesthetic would lend itself really well to an android banner. Idk, I just need some inspiration. I've also been wanting to scan something for a long time now. Scanning things awesome.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Fatalah said:
Neither TinEye or Google Image Search comes up with anything. Source?
Its a mockup. But most likely very accurate since the profile shot is from the official announcement, the ui is from a real screenshot and we've seen the real phone on video.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Nope. Ill whip something up eventually. Embroirdery is really fun to just sit and zone out and do. For some reaosn I think the aesthetic would lend itself really well to an android banner. Idk, I just need some inspiration. I've also been wanting to scan something for a long time now. Scanning things awesome.

Awesome...I actually do production machine embroidery.

RJNavarrete said:
Holy shit is that really the Prime? That thing looks AMAZING.

It's a mockup, based on (side shot) real shots from Samsung and real screen shots.

Cipherr

Nothing like AMOLED blacks on a display man, That shit blends right into the bezel, you can barely see where the two start and end. Terribly hard to go back to those other screen types after having one of these.

Fatalah

What are the odds the Nexus Prime is being released simultaneously on VZ, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile? That would be sweet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cipherr said:
Nothing like AMOLED blacks on a display man, That shit blends right into the bezel, you can barely see where the two start and end. Terribly hard to go back to those other screen types after having one of these.

Super AMOLED can be used outside on a sunny day, right?

rhfb said:
Will ICS run on a Galaxy S II? I'm getting kinda fed up with the stock music player and some of the other stuff (terrible stock keyboard, music starting out of the blue after entering and leaving my car, ect) but don't want to bother with rooting/ect if a simple upgrade will fix most of the issues :|

You could use UberMusic and SwiftKey X to solve this problems

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
Ha, a cellphone you can use outside? That'll be the day.

I was actually just wondering the curved surface would do anything tocounteract glare

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Prime is running a clean version of icecream right? It looks so damn smooth that I would assume its a developer UI

I can't wait to see the new ice cream phones....

asdad123

Help please...

I tried to flash CM7 onto my unlocked motorola Atrix 4g. Before doing so, I made a restore with Clockwork recovery and proceeded to flash the CM7 beta found on XDA. Before flashing, I made sure to wipe data/cache.

After doing this, my phone is stuck on the boot screen. I tried using the backup that I made to restore, but it says "can not find system.info" and finished. Then when rebooting it is still stuck at the boot screen.

Worst of all, my battery is now dead and wont charge! I searched and did some things in fastboot to try to fix it, but whenever I try to use fastboot, it gets stuck on "waiting for device".

Is there any way that I can save my phone or am I done for?

nib95

Banned
I know I've said this already, but honestly, battery life is now the only thing that dictates whether I get the 4GS or the Nexus Prime. I'd prefer to get the Prime (sick of the iPhone), but battery life is very important to me. The last Android phone I used temporarily was the HTC Desire, and the battery life was awful.

Cipherr

Andrex said:

I may not have used enough phones to judge them all but, none of them seem to well at it TBH. I mean, Ive never held a phone in direct sunlight where I wouldnt want to move or angle myself away from it in order to get a better view.

I dont doubt some are better than others (I have no idea where OLED screens rank in this area) but I feel safe saying they probably all suck at it, just at varying degrees.

Andrex said:

I got the Galaxy s2 and i can see everything on a sunny day, just turn the full brightness on and when i try to do the same with my 3gs on a sunny day i cant see shit.

Andrex said:

My Galaxy S has no trouble outsides, providing of course I don't have the screen directly facing the sun. Whack the brightness up to full and should be ok, hell of a lot better than LCD at least.

SAMOLED+ should be better again.

Schlep

Really wish Sprint had gotten their act together on LTE sooner. Will be another 10 months (at least) before I can upgrade from the Evo 4G. Jealous of the Prime.

On another note, though, the Google Music 4.0 client is great. I finally prefer it to the iPhone interface. I'm assuming with them giving away free music that the Google Music Store can't be too far away now?

Jake. said:
week 3 of being a galaxy s2/android user...still have no idea what the fuck i'm doing.

Well what is it you need to know? This thread is the perfect place to ask those burning questions. Except about Samsung Kies. I know nothing of this Kies malarkey.

Jake.

i dunno, everything just seems super complicated - but i think its just because its my first smartphone.

the only apps i have so far are something that makes the camera flash a torch (super useful) and juice defender (because the s2's battery sucks) - are there some other 'must have' apps?

one thing i've noticed is typing out an sms is taking me 50 times longer with alot more mistakes than with my old phone, again probably due to this being the first time i have used a touch screen. does it just take getting used to, or should i look for a different app or something?

can you recommend a good clock/alarm app or widget? the default one just takes ages, because i have to go through the menu and then set it each morning (for some reason i can't make a shortcut on my home screen, i have no idea why?) - would like something on my home screen if possible.

also, what is the point of having 7 home screens?

edit: what is launcherpro? i have read that everyone uses it, and looked at a few screenshots...but still have no idea what it does or what is the advantage of using it.

sorry for all the stupid questions.

zbeeb

Jake. said:
i dunno, everything just seems super complicated - but i think its just because its my first smartphone.

the only apps i have so far are something that makes the camera flash a torch (super useful) and juice defender (because the s2's battery sucks) - are there some other 'must have' apps?

Check out the top free apps and see whats around. Ones that I find really useful are ones for online banking, etc.

I'd also recommend:

dolphin hd for browsing
readitlater is fantastic for saving online articles
chrome to phone is awesome (Get the addon for firefox or chrome to compliment) - you might not use it regularly, but when you do its great!
Flash player 11 for flash playback in browser
Google Reader or Newsrob for RSS
Evernote for note taking/sync with computer
google docs for... docs
skype, facebook, heytell, whatsapp are all cool social apps.

Jake. said:
one thing i've noticed is typing out an sms is taking me 50 times longer with alot more mistakes than with my old phone, again probably due to this being the first time i have used a touch screen. does it just take getting used to, or should i look for a different app or something?

make sure dictionary is switched on. Go to type a message and select the gear button to go to keyboard settings and switch on XT9 predictive text. There is definitely a learning curve but you will get much faster :)

Otherwise try out some alternative keyboards from the market. I prefer thumb keyboard, but swiftkey x is also a really good option that learns the language you use.

Jake. said:
can you recommend a good clock/alarm app or widget? the default one just takes ages, because i have to go through the menu and then set it each morning (for some reason i can't make a shortcut on my home screen, i have no idea why?) - would like something on my home screen if possible.

You could simply put the clock app on your homescreen? (ie go to applications, long press on clock and drop on home screen). Otherwise I haven't really looked for anything like this, but a search of the market should find you some good results.

Jake. said:

You can fill the screens with applications, widgets, etc. For example, I only use 3, one for agenda (my work/uni schedule), 1 for time and weather and 1 for app folders.

To get rid of extra home screens make a pinching motion on the screen and long press the ones you dont want and drag to bin. you can always add them back if you want them.

Jake. said:
edit: what is launcherpro? i have read that everyone uses it, and looked at a few screenshots...but still have no idea what it does or what is the advantage of using it.

In android you can replace your 'launcher' (ie home screen and application screen) with other programs. Try out launcherpro or go launcher, both are great options and provide a lot of customisability. I used to use launcherpro, but development seems to have stagnated, and go launcher has some cooler effects and features.

edit: also, if you plan on changing launchers, desk migrate is a great app that saves a lot of time and effect with reorganising everything :)

The best way to learn is to just download them and have a poke around!

Jake. said:

This really depends on what you want the phone to do. I use Cardio Trainer cos it's an awesome running/fitness app, Twitter because Twitter is the fastest way to source news about people/topics you are interested in on the web, Movies + IMDB for obvious reasons. Tell me what you'd like to do and I'll recommend something.

Jake. said:

Pretty sure Galaxy s2 phones use Swype don't they? Once you get the hang of it you can type super fast. Tutorial here:

Swype tutorial

Jake. said:

Are you sure you can just add the clock to your home screen? Just go into your app drawer, find clock and instead of tapping it to open it, long press it instead. That should let you add it to the home screen of your choice. If that doesn't suit then 'beautiful widgets' might be your go to app in the marketplace.

Jake. said:
also, what is the point of having 7 home screens?-

You can edit the number of home screens in Touchwiz. Haven't watched this video yet but this should show you how. Touchwiz 4 walkthrough

Jake. said:

LauncherPro is an alternate launcher. Launchers are defined as your home screen appearance and app drawer appearance. It's very customisable. I'd suggest getting used to Android before installing it, though it's easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

Old ish review of launcher Pro

Jake. said:

Launcherpro replaces the home screen and app list, basically with a custom one that more customizable than whatever TouchWiz has to offer. If you've got beef with those two things, then give it a download.

The point of seven homescreens is lots of space for widgets and app shortcuts

As for alarm clock, the stock android one is pretty good (i don't know if this is included on samsung phones) you can set the alarms to repeat on certain days, so if you have a regular wake-up schedule, you basically never have to set your alarm.

As far as keyboards go, yeah you'll get used to it, but you might be interested in downloading one of the many custom keyboards out there. I personally use the stock android gingerbread one, but many people like swype and swiftkey and I'm sure quite a few others.

zbeeb

new music app is incredible! such an improvement over v3.0. I can't believe how smooth it is...

bring on ICS, love what I'm seeing so far!

Is there a mod for the stock android samsung rom (2.3.5) for GS2 to save battery life ? I think I read on XDA that most custom roms save energy by switching the phone to a "sleep mode" when the screen is shut off. Thanks.

Tribes of Trusty said:
Is there a mod for the stock android samsung rom (2.3.5) for GS2 to save battery life ? I think I read on XDA that most custom roms save energy by switching the phone to a "sleep mode" when the screen is shut off. Thanks.

Without rooting I think the juice defender app is your best bet. Or just toggle your phone between 2g and 3g when you don't plan to use it for long stretches (driving etc). 2g is so much nicer on your battery.

Tribes of Trusty said:

Hmm, the phone does that already. You might be running something that's preventing it from happening though.

I get on average Screen On time of about 5hr30mins on 2.3.5 with my GS2. On 2.3.3 I was only gettting 4hr30mins of Screen On. I don't have anything special installed either but I am rooted and have disabled most of the stock Samsung applications. I use my phone a lot so I tend to charge it every day anyway but with light use I think it would easily last 3-4 days.

In your Settings/Applications/Battery Usage, does you Screen On line match your Awake line when you click the graph? It should, if it doesn't then something is running in the background stopping it from sleeping.

Jake. said:

i think in your case u needs something visual, so i recommend you to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLe5_zTik8

The changing of brightness on ur galaxy s2 by simply wiping at the top screen was an OMG moment for me.

Jake.

thanks so much for the replies zbeeb, originalThinking and touchmybox - i didn't know about the long press/homescreen thing so that helps alot.

a few more...

zbeeb - i can't find how to turn the dictionary on, i looked under settings and still can't see it anywhere.

milofox - the longest my gs2 has lasted is about 2 days with minimal use. i just checked my battery usage and my screen on time does not match my awake line at all, do you know what could be up? the phone isn't rooted, i have juice defender (could this possibly be it?) and i have wi-fi and GPS off.

Jake. said:
thanks so much for the replies zbeeb, originalThinking and touchmybox - i didn't know about the long press/homescreen thing so that helps alot.

Long pressing is used a lot as a context sensitive action in Android - If you can't find an option to do something try long pressing on it - like a text message, or a music track or in the web address bar. There is a clear case to be made that those kind of actions aren't user friendly because it's not immediately obvious, but after a week or two of Android it becomes second nature.

Another quick tip that you might not know is long pressing the home button - Normally this brings up your task switcher making it easy to jump between apps. A lot of new users won't know this, but it makes a huge difference in easily switching between apps.

zbeeb

Jake. said:
zbeeb - i can't find how to turn the dictionary on, i looked under settings and still can't see it anywhere.

does your keyboard look like this?

if so, press the settings key on the bottom right and tick the box next to XT9.

If not, go to your home screen, press menu -> settings -> language and keyboard -> see which 'input method' you have selected and then go through the settings available to tweak it as you prefer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom