• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake. said:
thanks so much for the replies zbeeb, originalThinking and touchmybox - i didn't know about the long press/homescreen thing so that helps alot.

a few more...

zbeeb - i can't find how to turn the dictionary on, i looked under settings and still can't see it anywhere.

milofox - the longest my gs2 has lasted is about 2 days with minimal use. i just checked my battery usage and my screen on time does not match my awake line at all, do you know what could be up? the phone isn't rooted, i have juice defender (could this possibly be it?) and i have wi-fi and GPS off.
Just switch to the built-in swype keyboard. It's much quicker once you get used to using it.

Long press on a text field and choose input method to select it.

Don't change the browser as some have suggested.Samsung have tweaked the stock browser quite a bit which makes it run far smoother than anything else.

Zozz

Banned
Some rumors going around that those leaked Nexus shots might be a touchwiz skin. I for one hate every icon on the dockbar. Phone, browser and contacts look way off from the icons I've come to know from Google, the camera icon is also a departure from what they've had. We'll only see in time, I'm inclined to postulate at the idea.

Also the Super AMOLED screen is perfectly visible in conjuction with higher screen brightness when used under direct sunlight. No other phone I've had has provided such clear picture under a bright sunny day.

Futureman

why is the Android Market sitting in the middle of the screen on one of these?

moulded_chair_2400765.jpg

and why does the Contacts icon look so horrible? (That's the only one I really hate Zozz, but the others are meh as well).

Zozz said:
Some rumors going around that those leaked Nexus shots might be a touchwiz skin. I for one hate every icon on the dockbar. Phone, browser and contacts look way off from the icons I've come to know from Google, the camera icon is also a departure from what they've had. We'll only see in time, I'm inclined to postulate at the idea.

It's never a Touchwiz skin, I'd put my money on it. I hope they'll let you change the icons you want docked. The reason for the change of Icons is clear. Major new version of Android, blue theme. I don't really see any issue with the Icons, they are fine. I like the new Internet icon especially

Futureman said:
why is the Android Market sitting in the middle of the screen on one of these?

It's a market widget. Not unlike the current one.

VanWinkle

Jake. said:
i dunno, everything just seems super complicated - but i think its just because its my first smartphone.

the only apps i have so far are something that makes the camera flash a torch (super useful) and juice defender (because the s2's battery sucks) - are there some other 'must have' apps?

one thing i've noticed is typing out an sms is taking me 50 times longer with alot more mistakes than with my old phone, again probably due to this being the first time i have used a touch screen. does it just take getting used to, or should i look for a different app or something?

can you recommend a good clock/alarm app or widget? the default one just takes ages, because i have to go through the menu and then set it each morning (for some reason i can't make a shortcut on my home screen, i have no idea why?) - would like something on my home screen if possible.

also, what is the point of having 7 home screens?

edit: what is launcherpro? i have read that everyone uses it, and looked at a few screenshots...but still have no idea what it does or what is the advantage of using it.

sorry for all the stupid questions.

Just to point out, you don't have to use the home screens. Put a couple of widgets on the main one if you want, and just use the app drawer when you want to go into the app. And using the keyboard takes a little time to get used to if you haven't used a touchscreen device much before. There are alternatives, though, like Swype, in which you swipe your finger from one letter to the next until you get to the end of the word you want and it inputs it. It's pretty fast and usually knows what word you wanted to put in.

Jayayess1190 said:
Why does Google not make a Nexus pmp, aka the Prime without the phone? Would be the best pmp, stock android for those with phones with skins.

I say this every year, be able to steam from google music or play all media streamed from my personal network or from the onboard flash memory. It would be a nexus for real then.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Who said a GSM version would have att/t-mo bands?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who said it's probably gonna be sold unlocked?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who loves ya baby?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

DrFunk

On top of that, Verizon is the only carrier in the US. Which means you'd have to buy it unlocked (and maybe) imported to use it on a different carrier. It being a Nexus device doesn't really mean much for openness, apparently

Zozz

Banned
I just hope it comes to sprint. I hope the wait isn't longer than 3+months. I got my Nexus S but I might want dat Prime.

xtop

well now that i'm seeing the prices of sprint plans, i hope sprint gets the nexus as well. you know...this year! hoping that exclusive window of verizon's is only a month long or so

Zozz

Banned
notsol337 said:
I know lots of people like launcherpro, but I'm totally happy using Go Launcher.
I recently switched to Go Launcher, I've been an avid Launcherpro user. I been waiting for the Launcherpro rewrite but nothing has come out yet. I'm really liking Go launcher, it's faster and much more consistency in overall stability.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zozz said:
I recently switched to Go Launcher, I've been an avid Launcherpro user. I been waiting for the Launcherpro rewrite but nothing has come out yet. I'm really liking Go launcher, it's faster and much more consistency in overall stability.

This has been my experience as well. And it intergates very well with the other GO apps like messaging and dialer.

notsol337

marked forever
I'm actually using Go SMS and Go Dialer, too.

Also, Jake., you might want to try SwiftKeyX. It's a great predictive text keyboard.

I got it for free off the Amazon App Store awhile ago.

Also, everyone here should have an Amazon App Store account. They give away a free paid app every day! Get on that shit, peeps.

Today's app is Chess-presso, which is chess! Yay chess!

AndyD

aka andydumi
notsol337 said:
Also, Jake., you might want to try SwiftKeyX. It's a great predictive text keyboard.

You can set it to learn from your Gmail and blog and SMS too. So after reading my Gmail it learned the common names of people I email. So when I type in Tom it no longer suggest Cruise as #1, but Beckermann as #1, who is one of my friends. And so forth and so forth.

Some more suggested apps for Jake based on what I have on my phone:

3G Watchdog. Useful if you don't have an unlimited data plan. You tell it your limit and set it for your billing cycle and it will track your usage for you and advise you when you are approaching it. Resets at the start of your new billing cycle.

Awful. Awesome app for using the Somethingawful forums if you're a regular visitor over there.

Dictionary. No need to explain.

Express News. Decent news app.

Google Goggles. Take a picture of something, anything, and Google will do an image search. Hit and miss with accuracy.

Keepscreen. Kind of describes itself. Allows you to tell Android to never go to sleep unless you manually put it to sleep when specific apps are open. I mainly use this for google maps.

Listen. Free podcast manager. Kind of ass but it's free.

Llama. Identifies your location based on cellphone towers. You train it to recognize where your home is, where your works is...etc and then you can create rules based on locations and time. For example, my phone goes on silent as soon as I arrive at work and goes off silent as soon as I leave work, regardless of times. My WiFi turns on automatically as soon as I arrive at home. My notifications go to silent after midnight but my ringer stays on so I'm not woken up by a text message or an email but will still be available if anyone calls due to an emergency. I found the learning curve for setting rules to be pretty steep, though.

Navigation. This might have come preinstalled on your phone. Self explanatory. Works very well, I find.

Next TTC. Just in case your in Toronto. If you are and take public transit at all, you need this app.

QIK Video. Recording app which will immediately upload your video to the internet. I figured it will be useful if I ever come upon the police committing a crime. You need to set up an account with QIK to upload videos.

Ringdroid. Allows you to cut out specific sections of your music to set as ringtones.

Scoremobile. Sports score apps. There are dozens, pick your poison.

SMS Popup. More customizable messaging. I use it to receive a message box on my main screen rather than having to go into the messaging app when I receive a text message. Allowed me also to set specific notification sounds for different contacts.

Swiftkey X. Learns the way you form sentences based on your text messaging and facebook history and continues learning after being installed. You will think it is magic; that's because it is. Will greatly improve the accuracy of your typing in a short amount of time. Costs a few dollars.

Zedge. Library for wallpapers, ringtones, and notification sounds. My ish is completely Zelda themed. When my girlfriend texts me I get Navi telling me to "Hey! Hey! Listen!". Mad cute.

To describe a couple of mentioned apps a little more:

Launcherpro. Like others have said, it allows for greater customizability of the home screen. I specifically used it for changing up the transition effects of flipping between screens, removing the notification bar from the top for a cleaner look(as soon as you go into an app or hit the menu button it reappears), to set up a scrollable dock(the part of your screen where the dialer, contacts, texts...etc appear) so that I now have 5x3 docks through which I can scroll left to right with the middle dock being the standard the far left dock being shortcuts to call my most frequently called peoples and the far right dock being shortcuts to websites I regularly go to. Lastly, you can set it up so that the number of missed calls, new emails, and new texts are displayed in a little red bubble on the dock next to the appropriate shortcut.

Cardiotrainer. This will map out the route you took on Google Maps(great if you cycle a lot). Option to post to facebook post workout so that people can tell you how awesome you are.

zbeeb

Tribes of Trusty said:
"We're sorry. Music Beta is currently only available in the United States"

Google Music = bullshit.
Use a proxy when signing up, then you'll never need to again :)

Pyrokai

claviertekky said:
Is there a new specific date for the Samsung and Google postponed event?

Some think it's going to be October 27th.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...aunch-event-out-of-respect-for-steve-jobs.ars

Too far away. I can't believe they're actually delaying the announcement. I didn't think it would have been in that bad of taste, tbh. We can't stop the world, you know?

I just want to know because I'm trying to decide between the iPhone 4S and the Nexus Prime, and it's become an incredibly difficult decision for me, so I'd like to know about the Prime and ICS as much as possible so I can make an informed decision. Ugh. Sucks.

Pctx

Banned
DrFunk said:
Who said a GSM version would have att/t-mo bands?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who said it's probably gonna be sold unlocked?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who loves ya baby?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif
29msx0x.gif

Cannot wait for the glory on AT&T since I won't technically have to jump ship to VZ.

sooperkool said:
Nexus S + Google Music 4 + Voodoo = sweet, sweet tunes.

I have 5 Google Music invites so if you need one just PM me.

^ This man is a legend. Just hooked me up with the Google music beta. A bit of VPN trickery later I'm all hooked up. If anyone needs a Google music invite fire me a PM, I've 8 left!

You guys know what this means right?

Canada got the Galaxy S II so long ago that it's fully subsidized.

Now we're probably going to get the Nexus Prime on all of our carriers, while americans will only have one choice at launch.

:)

DrFunk

TouchMyBox said:
You guys know what this means right?

Canada got the Galaxy S II so long ago that it's fully subsidized.

Now we're probably going to get the Nexus Prime on all of our carriers, while americans will only have one choice at launch.

...except us savvy Americans who import from Canada.

reKon

Banned
I just want to it to be on Verizon day 1 so I can finally get a new phone. I've waited far too long. Not getting my baby was depressing (Galaxy S II) so I've held out... I'm just concerned that an LTE version hasn't popped up on the FCC yet..

Oozer3993

Pyrokai said:
Some think it's going to be October 27th.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...aunch-event-out-of-respect-for-steve-jobs.ars

Too far away. I can't believe they're actually delaying the announcement. I didn't think it would have been in that bad of taste, tbh. We can't stop the world, you know?

I just want to know because I'm trying to decide between the iPhone 4S and the Nexus Prime, and it's become an incredibly difficult decision for me, so I'd like to know about the Prime and ICS as much as possible so I can make an informed decision. Ugh. Sucks.

It's not the 27th:

saschasegan said:
Samsung spokesman Kim Titus says there will be no Samsung event on October 27th in London.

Futureman

So does the Music app from ICS work on older phones?

I thought I read that it works, but only for locally stored songs?

If I can get it to run with my Froyo Droid X (custom ROM) with Google Music streaming, I'd be interested.

Futureman said:

If I can get it to run with my Froyo Droid X (custom ROM), I'd be interested.

Works fine, you just have to clear the apps data after installing the new version.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Futureman said:

If I can get it to run with my Froyo Droid X (custom ROM), I'd be interested.
It works with the music beta too, but you have to go into app settings and clear all data first. I ran into that proble yesterday too. And yes, look at how much more responsive it is.. even on the OG Droid!

Futureman

whoa, awesome.

I should be able to just uninstall the Music Beta app, right?

and I was wondering, can I uninstall the Froyo Music app with Titanium?

what do I choose? "Force remove app (by recovery exploit)"? Normally I wouldn't bother, but when using the Music Beta app, sometimes out of nowhere the Froyo Music app will start playing random songs at the same time.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
Copernicus ... the latest FCC filing had dual band n

Beast

I know...it's bananas.

This is the Nexus phone Google wanted with the N1.

I'm really hoping that Google has absorbed T-Mobile's theme engine for ICS. It's pretty awesome on CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom