• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So will this have dlna? Is that just a standard feature by now?

giga

Pyrokai said:
What exactly does this mean?
It can operate on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band when using 802.11n. The 5 GHz channel is less congested. 2.4 has been used since the beginning of time for bluetooth, microwaves, computers/phones, and 802.11g routers so it's getting crowded.

kehs

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
Any idea on who will be the initial carrier for the Nexus Prime?

Nobody, and everybody.

It's going to be compatible with every carrier. The only question is which carriers are going to subsidize it if you want to go with contract. (Sprint is the only iffy one at this point)

Linkhero1

Copernicus said:
Nobody, and everybody.

It's going to be compatible with every carrier. The only question is which carriers are going to subsidize it if you want to go with contract. (Sprint is the only iffy one at this point)
Ah. I was hoping T-Mobile got their hands on this. I don't really want to switch carriers.

T-Matt

wario said:
anyone else buying contract free and going with the new $30 prepaid 4g data plan from T-Mobile?
I'm probably gonna do that. Have been on Virgin mobile and their smartphone selection is obviously not close in comparison. I'll deal with less minutes and paying 5$ more for better phone selection.

Copernicus said:
Nobody, and everybody.

If Sprint doesn't offer this phone, then you can't use it on their network. Unless they've changed their policy recently. What are the specs supposed to be on the Prime again? Kind of disappointed by the 4S announcement so if Sprint does offer this I might go for it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
My brother picked up the AT&T GSII and after playing with it for an hour or so, I felt underwhelmed. SAMOLED looked good, but nothing that made me want to drop my phone and switch... I think the Nexus Prime spoiled me...

iavi

BoboBrazil said:
If Sprint doesn't offer this phone, then you can't use it on their network. Unless they've changed their policy recently. What are the specs supposed to be on the Prime again? Kind of disappointed by the 4S announcement so if Sprint does offer this I might go for it.

I really do see Sprint not offering this until they're ready to offer LTE--which, according to their rollout plans, is said to be towards the middle of next year. :( How did it take them to get the Nexus S?

E: Just looked it up. It took them 5~6 months. If the trend proves true, us Sprint people may be in for a wait.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
zedge said:
Err really?!

Kidding, kind of. The phone is great, and I replaced a Hero with it, which was outdated when it launched, so I won't be complaining for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear people talking about octocore android devices with fifteen bajillion jiggabytes of RAM by this time next year.

kehs

Banned
Miri said:
I really do see Sprint not offering this until they're ready to offer LTE--which, according to their rollout plans, is said to be towards the middle of next year. :( How did it take them to get the Nexus S?

E: Just looked it up. It took them 5~6 months. If the trend proves true, us Sprint people may be in for a wait.

Sprint is one of the original partners working with Google on Google Wallet. With Prime being THE Google device, it's hard to think they're not working with Sprint on getting this on their network. This would explain them Passing on the NFC for their Galaxy SII variant. The Nexus S is actually getting updates BEFORE the other Nexus S devices.

The reason the Nexus S took so long to get on sprint is because it was a GSM device that had to be provisioned to work on CDMA after the fact. The Prime has been in the pipeline with CDMA/GSM compatibility in mind. Same reason it took so long for the original Nexus One ATT, Verizon, and Sprint variants to go through FCC approval, they were submitted later on.

This Prime device is ready to work on all four carriers, right now.

iavi

Copernicus said:
Sprint is one of the original partners working with Google on Google Wallet. With Prime being THE Google device, it's hard to think they're not working with Sprint on getting this on their network. This would explain them Passing on the NFC for their Galaxy SII variant. The Nexus S is actually getting updates BEFORE the other Nexus S devices.

The reason the Nexus S took so long to get on sprint is because it was a GSM device that had to be provisioned to work on CDMA after the fact. The Prime has been in the pipeline with CDMA/GSM compatibility in mind. Same reason it took so long for the original Nexus One ATT, Verizon, and Sprint variants to go through the FCC.

Yeah, that crossed my mind too, but all this talk of a Verizon exclusivity period pretty much diminished any idea I had of a camaraderie between Sprint & Google. I do hope you're right.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone here bought minecraft yet? I'm really curious, but don't really want to spend 7 dollars on it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aww yeah! Installing now! I usually never play phone games, but I'm really curious about this one.

Rapstah

Jtwo said:
So has anyone here bought minecraft yet? I'm really curious, but don't really want to spend 7 dollars on it.
There's a demo. Basically it's just creative mode and the world is really tiny, like four chunks that you spawn in the middle of. Snow, desert and plains biomes may appear. Demo doesn't save when you exit and has limit of blocks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its neat enough. Id be curious to see how well it runs on a really modern phone.

nomis

Yoshiya said:
Perhaps the best response to 'is that a mockup?' would be to post this again:

wqsIx.jpg
Jtwo said:
That guy's dome is insanely polished.
Alien Bob said:
You can even see the phone reflected in it

This picture was actually taken from the reflection off of his head, then analyzed by CSI.

Ephemeris

My next android phone will be a Nexus. That is fact. I hope it's sturdy, because I plan to hit the next person who asks me "Why don't you own an iPhone?" in the face with it.

equap

Banned
Ephemeris said:
My next android phone will be a Nexus. That is fact. I hope it's sturdy, because I plan to hit the next person who asks me "Why don't you own an iPhone?" in the face with it.
you should check out the new iPhone 4S.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bitch move, man. Go for the gut, save them the embarassment of a black eye.

the nexus prime / galaxy nexus... whatever its called looks sex.

shame I dont have the money for one :(

if I bought a slightly used Nexus S I assume it will be getting ice cream sandwich at some point wont it?

Ephemeris said:
Careful, try to aim around the hipster glasses.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
You got a reprieve from making the conference thread. I expect big things with the extra time
Bahaha, I was considering not even making it since we now have this thread. But ill cook something up, I bet well know every detail about the phone by the time the conference happens.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, no worries. Ill make it when it gets reannounced.
Speaking of which, I just got your chord. I think it was you, either you or gcubed sent me a chord. The new g+ app is nice, maybe ill actually use it a bit more now.

gcubed

i dont have either of you guys in my circles, its a lot of work digging through that list of gaffers in the plus thread, guess i have to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom