• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, so they are going with the Toshiba panel?

Also on esato there are rumblings that Sony is considering pushing up the One Sony announcement to June. If this is true then I may delay my ZL purchase.

Sharp.

Not heard about that tbh, afaik there is no such phone called "One Sony", there is a 2H flagship but it's not going to be out until August. We will get C670x before that which is the 4.8" FHD, SD600 phone. Not sure which regions it is going to come out in though, probably the same regions the phablet comes out in.

vivftp

Sharp.

Not heard about that tbh, afaik there is no such phone called "One Sony", there is a 2H flagship but it's not going to be out until August. We will get C670x before that which is the 4.8" FHD, SD600 phone. Not sure which regions it is going to come out in though, probably the same regions the phablet comes out in.

Cool, given how the Sharp panel has performed on the Z and ZL, that is good news.

As for this One Sony, yeah I think we've come to call it that out of habit instead of 2H flagship. The rumored spec sheet for it almost reads like a fantasy wish list, but I SO hope it is true

-s800 processor
- 3-4 gigs of RAM
- 5" 1080p display with white magic and triluminos
- roughly the same size as Z, but likely thicker to accomodate the camera
- 3000 mah battery
- x reality engine
- carl ziess lens
- Bionz processor
- 1/2" Exmor sensor
- f 2.0
- s master mx
- IP rating for dust and waterproof
- IR blaster

If all of that somehow turns out to be true then it'll be a Galaxy S4 killer for sure IMO.

Cool, given how the Sharp panel has performed on the Z and ZL, that is good news.

As for this One Sony, yeah I think we've come to call it that out of habit instead of 2H flagship. The rumored spec sheet for it almost reads like a fantasy wish list, but I SO hope it is true

-s800 processor
- 3-4 gigs of RAM
- 5" 1080p display with white magic and triluminos
- roughly the same size as Z, but likely thicker to accomodate the camera
- 3000 mah battery
- x reality engine
- carl ziess lens
- Bionz processor
- 1/2" Exmor sensor
- f 2.0
- s master mx
- IP rating for dust and waterproof
- IR blaster

If all of that somehow turns out to be true then it'll be a Galaxy S4 killer for sure IMO.

The bolded stuff is not in the phone. Not that I know of anyway. The phone uses a 5" 1080p A-MVA IGZO Sharp screen with a 2000:1 contrast ratio, and 178 degree viewing angle. No Whitemagic or Triluminous. The latter is incompatible with mobile devices because of Cadmium content.

It's much closer to the ZL than Z.

2700mAh.

No such thing as software X-Reality, and I don't think Sony are putting dedicated processing hardware in the phone.

The Mobile BIONZ processing package is still in development, it won't be ready until 2014 according to my sources.

16MP 1/2.3".

No dedicated audio amp, too battery intensive.

A lot of this phone sounds like wishful thinking to me. The real changes for SMC won't come until the second half of next year. Remember phones have an 18 month lead time, so if you take SMC moving to Tokyo as Day 1, then the first Tokyo phones with full Sony involvement aren't going to be out until next year.

vivftp

One more question zomg, have you heard anything about Sony working on getting Vita games on phones, be they Android or Vita OS?

One more question zomg, have you heard anything about Sony working on getting Vita games on phones, be they Android or Vita OS?

Not recently. Project VitaOS seems to have gone off the boil at the moment while Sony concentrate on getting their Android stuff sorted out.

vivftp

Awwe, that makes me a bit sad.

I have no money invested in any Android apps/games, but plenty in Vita games. I dream of the day when I can play those games on my phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So AT&T sent me some e-mail saying I had switched to some unknown device and need a qualifying LTE plan blah blah blah.

Looks like I'm going to have to call them up or run into a store this weekend to tell them my GF just got a replacement device. Fuck them trying to get me to switch my shit up though.

TheTowel

That facebook update is really annoying me. It downloads but won't install, basically bugging me with stupid notifications all day long. Might have to manually install the new apk just to stop it.

Vanillalite

You know while when it's working the Facebook app since going native for Android definitely is better. That being said I did couch that with the phrase "when it's working" as it doesn't always work. Still really buggy IMO.

gcubed

So that nexus 5 'leak' looks very dodgy, I wish we did have a N5 is may though rather than the X phone. Ah well.

WARNING Its a leak we cant verify full of information and specs that any sane person knows is bullshit, but we are androidandme, and we specialize in bullshit

kinggroin

Banned
OK so really, what sup with Chrome.

Just DL'd it again to check progress and it STILL scrolls incredibly choppy when using your finger. Like project butter doesn't exist.

Vanillalite

Apple Insider Article

CNET Article

Android Authority

Relevant Info from CNET...

An iPad Mini with an upgraded display could appear later in the third quarter or fourth quarter, while a very-high-resolution Nexus 7 may be more imminent, according to DisplaySearch.

Semenza said his data shows a 2,048x1,536-pixel density Mini display. "That's the typical step up when you go to Retina," he said. Currently, the Mini has a relatively grainy 1,024x768 display.

"For the Google Nexus 7, we're seeing the potential for stepping up to a 1,920 x1,200 'HD+' kind of format. We're seeing panel production possibly in the second quarter," he said.

ShowDog

Good news, I've been waiting for a Nexus 7 refresh.

I'm worried about all these high end phones being announced with 1080p displays. I understand you need to compete on a spec sheet, but I would much rather they focused on battery life. I have never seen a 5" 1080p screen in person, maybe seeing is believing, but my One X 720p display seems pretty perfect to me right now. Can't see a single pixel. 1080p seems like more expensive processors, more battery consumption, and more cost for the same performance. Tell me it aint so!

Akira

Sharp.

So the Sony phablet will use this screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5zOEf692vY

Hope they don't mess it up with their shitty Opticontrast resin layer. Just put glass over it for goodness sake.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This Moto X phone reads like a spec sheet. It's so unbelievably absurd. What's it going to cost, iMac prices?

Vanillalite

I'd probably be all over a retina mini. That would be really great.

I'm still semi skeptical. I don't disagree we are headed there, but I wonder especially for Apple if they could get a small enough SoC to power a screen with that many pixels this year.

I don't think Apple wants another performance hitch like with the iPad 3.

Lulubop

Any ideas on the best replacement batteries for an S2 epic? Not sure if I trust the reliability on some of these extended batteries.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm having some trouble with Google Music. I just uploaded a bunch of new albums, but they won't show up on my Nexus 4. I tried resetting the phone, tried the refresh music option within the app, and nothing. The songs show up fine on my computer.

Doopliss

So the Sony phablet will use this screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5zOEf692vY

Hope they don't mess it up with their shitty Opticontrast resin layer. Just put glass over it for goodness sake.
I might be able to handle 6.1 inches if it was 16:9, but 16:10 it's going to be humongous.

I'm having some trouble with Google Music. I just uploaded a bunch of new albums, but they won't show up on my Nexus 4. I tried resetting the phone, tried the refresh music option within the app, and nothing. The songs show up fine on my computer.

When you go into Settings -> Accounts -> Google is Play Music syncing enabled?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

Allow hidden files to be shown in your files manager and search for a .nomedia file. If you find one in your music folder or anywhere else delete it. Had the same issue with my files on my N4. Turns out an app kept creating the .nomedia file which prevented the OS to refresh and see newly added media.

I might be able to handle 6.1 inches if it was 16:9, but 16:10 it's going to be humongous.

I've actually found out during my ownership of my Note II that I can just barely reach the top right corner of the screen with my thumb when I'm holding it in my left hand. So if any phone gets any wider than my Note II, I will no longer be able to reach that corner when I need to when using it with just one hand.

oh look, I guess it's not happening lololol

hgoTekK.png

Verizon is just disgusting

oh look, I guess it's not happening lololol

hgoTekK.png

Verizon is just disgusting

And nothing of value was lost.

There's nothing the HTC One does that isn't done better on the Xperia Z/ZL or Galaxy S4. Unless you really want to hold your phone to your head like a boombox of yesteryear while listening to your music.

They haven't announced it yet though so what do you expect them to say?

I still expect Verizon to get something eventually, but probably under a new name.
if it's coming and unannounced you don't say anything or you say "not at this time" or any variation of standard non-answer.

And the reason it's disgusting is HTC is a company on the brink, and the biggest carrier in the USA won't cut them slack in favour of branding which I'm pretty sure doesn't hold as much weight as it used to (Droid).

And the reason it's disgusting is HTC is a company on the brink, and the biggest carrier in the USA won't cut them slack in favour of branding which I'm pretty sure doesn't hold as much weight as it used to.

The purpose of Verizon is to make money. If you can't give Verizon a compelling case as to how having your device on their network makes them money, they won't let it happen. Verizon doesn't allow many other devices on their network that other carriers do, it's not as if they are picking on poor HTC or something.

Verizon

The purpose of Verizon is to make money. If you can't give Verizon a compelling case as to how having your device on their network makes them money, they won't let it happen. Verizon doesn't allow many other devices on their network that other carriers do, it's not as if they are picking on poor HTC or something.

Verizon
Verizon can't make money advertising the One? They'd just rather advertise their own brand name that ATT and the rest can't use. I don't give a shit simply because I'm in Canada and I don't care about HTC, but it's counter productive for everybody. If HTC was able to regain ground and become a notable player again, more money will be made than with letting them die and sticking to your dwindling Droid name.

Verizon can't make money advertising the One? They'd just rather advertise their own brand name that ATT and the rest can't use. I don't give a shit simply because I'm in Canada and I don't care about HTC, but it's counter productive for everybody. If HTC was able to regain ground and become a notable player again, more money will be made than with letting them die and sticking to your dwindling Droid name.

Verizon can see the writing on the wall as well as anybody else. HTC is a dying company and they need to save themselves first by making devices which are actually compelling. There won't be any regaining of ground until HTC pulls their heads out of their asses. Sony was able to turn things around in dramatic fashion without the help of any US carriers.

Like I said, Sony didn't need no US carriers to execute their turnaround. So I'm not sure what the hangup is with HTC and Verizon. Especially since most devices are released on Verizon without the Droid branding.

Sony's turnaround has been completely Europe based. They haven't done much at all in the USA BECAUSE of the terrible carriers. Even zomgwtfbbq can vouch for that one. At least I recall him explaining this. They want too much control, Sony won't give it, so they're stuck mostly operating in Europe.

if it's coming and unannounced you don't say anything or you say "not at this time" or any variation of standard non-answer.

And the reason it's disgusting is HTC is a company on the brink, and the biggest carrier in the USA won't cut them slack in favour of branding which I'm pretty sure doesn't hold as much weight as it used to (Droid).

Verizon will bend if you give them something in return (marketing money) HTC refuse every time when it comes to actually marketing their phones. Sony will eventually get Xperia onto Verizon, I know they will because they will promise to bring the co-marketing bucks which is all they really care about.

It's either that, or you create a device so desirable that it draws post-paid customers to the network that is carrying it. That means making deals with the likes of T-Mobile and Sprint who are desperate for hit devices, and marketing the shit out of them then hoping that it catches on. Samsung did this quite successfully with the GS2 and by the end it was on all of the major US networks and then they were in a position of power. HTC will never release a device that is so desirable that people will change providers for. I can see such a phone coming from Samsung or Sony, but HTC as a company are mediocrity reincarnate. They are on their way down for a reason, and it has nothing to do with Verizon being mean to them.

They have been overtaken by Sony and ZTE in terms of sales and market share, neither have a significant presence in the US but are basically so far ahead of HTC in other markets that HTC's relative US strength isn't making up the difference now. There is a reason HTC fell behind, they are not offering compelling devices in the mid-high sector that Sony do well in and they offer very little in the way of budget sector which ZTE are starting to find their way. They have concentrated all of their money and marketing at the high end which incredibly fierce where Apple and Samsung outspend them 50 to 1 and Samsung specifically have so much control over their supply chain (in that they make the fucking components in house) that their margins are higher, or they are able to compete better on price. They made the suicidal decision to leave the low and mid sectors which has allowed Sony to gain a foothold with the Xperia brand and ZTE (and other Chinese brands) to hoover up at the low end and now they find themselves being over-taken by Sony who have done very well to make the Xperia brand into something worth buying and they are now laying siege on HTC's European and Asian high end sales, Xperia Z is going to dominate the HTC One in Europe and Asia and again, because Sony have some level of control over their supply chain it means the Xperia Z/ZL is €599 and the HTC One is €699.

HTC as a company are fucked, but to push the blame onto US carriers or Verizon is wrong. HTC dug their own grave by exiting the mid and low end markets, and now we are seeing the consequences. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom