• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lock screen was butchered.

RIP Android design.

Hyperbole to the nth degree. The lock screen became customisable and someone came along on the back of it and made an app called dashclock. Now my lockscreen is way more practical than on 4.1.

Android Police are running a poll on whether folks prefer the One or the S4. Hardly scientific stuff but...

The One is currently in the lead by a fair margin

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/17/weekend-poll-htc-one-or-galaxy-s4/

Threi

notag
Even before dashclock came out, regular widgets got updated for 4.2 support and enabled functionality beyond anything before it, with style as well.

Beautiful Widgets, HD Widgets, Minimalistic Text, all have lockscreen support, not to mention a bunch of standalone 4.2 clock apps.

The lockscreen is definitely an improvement over 4.1. Its just that the content google provided us with initially was kinda weak (and ugly)

I still don't understand the need for lock screens. If I lose my phone 1 out of 1000000 uses, and the other 999999 times I have to perform extra steps to get to my email, camera, etc., it becomes a nuisance.

I still don't understand the need for lock screens. If I lose my phone 1 out of 1000000 uses, and the other 999999 times I have to perform extra steps to get to my email, camera, etc., it becomes a nuisance.
lock screens are there so your phone isn't used in your pocket. I remember a long time ago in the early blackberry days that shit would pocket dial on the reg unless I put a lock on it.

I don't think that's ever happened to me with a capacitive touch screen. Heck, I don't think I've ever pocked-pressed the power button.
shits possible though!

But the security helps. It's such a minor nuisance that could bail you the fuck out if something ever did happen. Also when done correctly, it gives you a quick glance at a couple difference pieces of information which would be harder to get a look at without it.

Hyperbole to the nth degree. The lock screen became customisable and someone came along on the back of it and made an app called dashclock. Now my lockscreen is way more practical than on 4.1.

Android Police are running a poll on whether folks prefer the One or the S4. Hardly scientific stuff but...

NeoGAF is pretty much the only place downplaying the One. Dismissive of all glowing reviews and basically saying it won't sell so don't buy it. Even considering the Sony Xperia Z over it even though its not as fast, has a worse screen, doesn't look as nice, has a worse camera and also won't sell in North America.

It's now just amusing to me.

a few pages ago i mentioned the Android Central poll and their poll the previous year. so for comparison's sake again, here's the Android Police poll last year.

ayF49OQ.png

Yeah, only I wasn't making any point other than the HTC One was doing well in an Android Police poll. I won't be buying one myself, but then again neither will I be buying an S4. HTC just can't compete with the marketing monster that is Samsung even if the phones are pretty much on par spec wise. If the One does substantially better than the One X, that that alone would be good for HTC. They need to find momentum from somewhere. Android without HTC would be a much poorer place.

Looking at your polls, (which themselves are worthless when put next to sales, I agree) I get the feeling that you are trying to make the argument that if something sells in more volume, it must be better. That isn't always the case, in both technology and art.

Yeah, only I wasn't making any point other than the HTC One was doing well in an Android Police poll. I won't be buying one myself, but then again neither will I be buying an S4. HTC just can't compete with the marketing monster that is Samsung even if the phones are pretty much on par spec wise. If the One does substantially better than the One X, that that alone would be good for HTC. They need to find momentum from somewhere. Android without HTC would be a much poorer place.

Looking at your polls, (which themselves are worthless when put next to sales, I agree) I get the feeling that you are trying to make the argument that if something sells in more volume, it must be better. That isn't always the case, in both technology and art.

no, i'm just saying they'll do better than before but barring some sort of miracle, it still won't be close.

Cipherr

Download a smart dialer for the Play store?!

Haha yeah I know, but I meant for the stock dialer. It's one of those features you sort of come to expect from phones these days, y'know. At least I do.

This does make me wonder a bit. I have noticed this a lot lately, various peoples feelings toward what functions the stock software should have when it ships versus software on the Play Store that fulfill that function. It continues to expand, lots of people want floating video in stock, I want Smartstay built in, others want other stuff like flashlights and whatnot.

I wonder where that will end. As it expands, I think we could possibly edge towards a situation where we are asking for too much.... bloat. I mean, one persons useful app is the next mans bloatware.

no, i'm just saying they'll do better than before but barring some sort of miracle, it still won't be close.

I don't think that anyone on here actually expects the One to sell even close to the S4. If it does happen it'll be a miracle.

This does make me wonder a bit. I have noticed this a lot lately, various peoples feelings toward what functions the stock software should have when it ships versus software on the Play Store that fulfill that function. It continues to expand, lots of people want floating video in stock, I want Smartstay built in, others want other stuff like flashlights and whatnot.

I wonder where that will end. As it expands, I think we could possibly edge towards a situation where we are asking for too much.... bloat. I mean, one persons useful app is the next mans bloatware.

There does have to be a balance, but a smart stock dialler certainly wouldn't be bloat. Same goes for some kind of torch functionality which could easily be made as a toggle.

markot

Banned
My GS2 has started using loads of battery, even on outlet charger its going down down down...

Its hot too >.<

Battery says Android system and some touchwiz stuff is using most of the battery up >.>

Wat dooooooo!?

Groof

Of course there's a point where one is asking way too much out of stock. One of it's defining characteristics is simplicity though, so I don't imagine a whole Samsung styled software feature set to be next in line for it.
However, there is a difference between simple features, in this case something that's been around for as long as T9 has, within already existing apps versus software features that can be remedied by downloading a third-party app from the Play Store. Simple things, like customizable quick settings toggles is something that would add so much, yet not even be close to bloat territory. A torch switch could easily be shoved in there.

Not to bash the one, but anyone who thinks it will sell anywhere near the number of s4s are delusional.

At this point it's delusional to think that HTC can even manufacture enough Ones to come anywhere near the number of S4s that Samsung can manufacture, much less sell them.

That too. :) Those premium materials take time eh.

Hardly. Aluminum is actually the cheapest commonly used metal in electronics, that's why it's easily mass-produced for people to wrap their food in. There's nothing premium about aluminum in the grand scheme of things, even compared to plastics. When people start making phones out of magnesium alloy (again), that's when I'll consider the materials premium.

zedge

Hardly. Aluminum is actually the cheapest commonly used metal in electronics, that's why it's easily mass-produced for people to wrap their food in. There's nothing premium about aluminum in the grand scheme of things, even compared to plastics. When people start making phones out of magnesium alloy (again), that's when I'll consider the materials premium.

Yes I know. Was being a bit facetious.

yogloo

My GS2 has started using loads of battery, even on outlet charger its going down down down...

Its hot too >.<

Battery says Android system and some touchwiz stuff is using most of the battery up >.>

Wat dooooooo!?

Check your battery for bulging. Take it out and lay it on a flat surface. If you can spin it, your battery is gone baby.

vivftp

Heh, interesting look :)

A thought occurs... I wonder if transparent aluminum could ever replace glass for the screen. Probably a lot of flaws in using it that just don't come to mind... ah well

Is it even available yet? Hell, so far every phone announced (Z/ZL, One, S4, Random LG shit), abso-fucking-lutely none of them are available yet here.

The GSMArena daily ranking:

CURRENT RANKINGS
By daily interest
Device Daily hits
1. Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 - 323,541
2. Sony Xperia Z - 145,901
3. Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082 - 63,434
4. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - 61,662
5. HTC One - 58,135
6. Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 - 56,873
7. Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 - 42,962
8. Apple iPhone 5 - 42,737

GS4 >>>>>> Xperia Z >>> GS3/HTC One

GSMArena is a better gauge as it represents a more worldwide audience and it's a much larger sample size.

vivftp

God I hope not. I hate wanting something so bad and having to wait and wait.

Also playing the waiting game here :(

Originally I was thinking of getting the ZL next month when it launches in Canada, but as of late I've begun to think it might be better to wait for either Sonys phablet or their 2H flagship. After seeing this screen, which is quite possibly the one on the phablet, I'm SO inclined to get the phablet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5zOEf692vY

methodman

Banned
what's a good pdf reader? i bought an ebook for class that is a 200+ pdf file and is there any way to read it more like a kindle book or something? i tried sending it to kindle, but that didn't work, it's completely zoomed out and won't let me change any settings

Late night ramblings: devs and analysts love to talk about how mobile is becoming more and more people's primary computing platform. So when will mobile apps that match the functionality of their desktop counterparts become the norm?

How come I can't use Android's YouTube to detail my view count and access Insight?
Why won't banking apps allow me to set up recurring payments, or adjust saving goals, or edit transaction names?
Why can't I put a website address into Google Translate?
I can't use Calendar to subscribe to a new calendar?

I can't share an existing photo album in Google+ with a new contact? What? Are you sure? Really? Come on; that can't be true. I mean, that's a really basic function, and given Google's emphasis on g+, specifically its photo sharing functions, I'm sure they have provided for this simple task. Huh? Are you serious?

And on and on.

Pctx

Banned
Late night ramblings: devs and analysts love to talk about how mobile is becoming more and more people's primary computing platform. So when will mobile apps that match the functionality of their desktop counterparts become the norm?

How come I can't use Android's YouTube to detail my view count and access Insight?
Why won't banking apps allow me to set up recurring payments, or adjust saving goals, or edit transaction names?
Why can't I put a website address into Google Translate?
I can't use Calendar to subscribe to a new calendar?

I can't share an existing photo album in Google+ with a new contact? What? Are you sure? Really? Come on; that can't be true. I mean, that's a really basic function, and given Google's emphasis on g+, specifically its photo sharing functions, I'm sure they have provided for this simple task. Huh? Are you serious?

And on and on.

Now that Andy is out on the lead of Android and that chrome guy is in, I would imagine we will start to see a unified platform base for all things pointing to Google here in the next few releases of Android.

The GSMArena daily ranking:

CURRENT RANKINGS
By daily interest
Device Daily hits
1. Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 - 323,541
2. Sony Xperia Z - 145,901
3. Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082 - 63,434
4. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - 61,662
5. HTC One - 58,135
6. Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 - 56,873
7. Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 - 42,962
8. Apple iPhone 5 - 42,737

GS4 >>>>>> Xperia Z >>> GS3/HTC One

GSMArena is a better gauge as it represents a more worldwide audience and it's a much larger sample size.

The rankings should be no surprise to anyone, except the few desperate HTC diehards that still remain.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Amongst the Reader hubbub, I didn't see this news. Fucking Google. Such an untrustworthy company that never has our best interests in mind. Someone explain this one to me. I thought Google was all about open standards.

One of the interesting ones: the CalDAV API will be removed for all but whitelisted developers. CalDAV builds on WebDAV and is an open standard. Instead you’d have to use the Google Calendar API.

http://inessential.com/2013/03/15/what_else_google_is_shutting_down

Couple things...

I went with the better looking phone last year... Never again.

Who gives a fuck about any features related to touch wiz? That shit will be AOSP'd ASAP.

I mean right? I'd say on the whole that we are more of a custom ROM group. Truth is that the GS4's Dev scene will be like weekend in Vegas and the HTC One's will be like Reno on a Tuesday.

BIGWORM

Couple things...

I went with the better looking phone last year... Never again.

Who gives a fuck about any features related to touch wiz? That shit will be AOSP'd ASAP.

I mean right? I'd say on the whole that we are more of a custom ROM group. Truth is that the GS4's Dev scene will be like weekend in Vegas and the HTC One's will be like Reno on a Tuesday.

Seeing that my GS3 is on AOSP and will be for some time to come, I'm seriously considering of staying within the Nexus line of phones. Does anyone know if there will be any good options besides the Nexus 4 come June/July within the Nexus line?

Alpende

I have a quick question.

I'm running JellyTime on my Desire HD and I've synced my e-mail on the phone. But when I get an e-mail it doesn't show a notification, I did enable that in the settings. Also when I get a text message or something the LED that 'belongs' to the charger starts blinking instead of the right LED which is supposed to blink when I get a text.

Does someone have a solution for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom