• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'll take the bullet:

There has been a steady stream of Motorola X Phone rumors since last year, but we received our first real details of the secret project earlier this month. Our source told us Motorola would offer some type of “user customizable” phone and also mentioned that Google was working on a smartwatch.

Motorola’s Guy Kawasaki confirmed the X Phone customizations rumor and the Financial Times confirmed the Google Watch rumor, so we are starting to believe that our sources can be trusted. This week we went back to the well and returned with a bucket of new Motorola rumors.

Rumor: The target launch date for the first Motorola X Phone is July. It was slated for June, but manufacturing issues caused the launch to slip.

Response: Several sources had told us to expect a June release, so a one month shift doesn’t come as a surprise. Last year the Wall St. Journal reported that Motorola was facing issues with “manufacturing and supply-chain management,” and I guess we should expect that with a project that is so ambitious.

We were also told there will be some kind of “exclusive” launch in July followed by a broader launch around Thanksgiving. I don’t know what this means, but I speculate we could see the first X Phone become an online exclusive and then appear at carrier stores several months later. This could explain the rumor from Phone Arena that suggested a November launch.

If the device really is launching in July, then we should fully expect to see Google unveil it in May at Google IO.

Rumor: The X Phone will be user customizable, but the options will not be as broad as was originally reported. Customers will mostly be able to customize the design of the phone, along with internal storage and some personalized software settings. Users will be able to order their device in an endless choice of color combinations, and they can select the material of the outer casing. Choices for materials will include plastic, metal, and carbon fiber.

Response: This is almost identical to what another source told us, but it does not appear that the amount of RAM can be changed. Being able to select the outer case materials is a new piece of information, so that’s a nice bonus we were not expecting.

Some people scoffed at the initial report of custom software settings, but this sounds like an exact clone of HTC Get Started. Users will be able to login to an online dashboard with their Google account before their device arrives and customize things like wallpapers, ringtones, preinstalled apps, etc. This means that when your custom phone arrives, it should be all set up out of the box.

Our source goes on to say that it is Motorola’s intention to let users further customize some of the hardware specs, but that is not going to happen with this first X Phone release. It sounds like Motorola is waiting for the concept to gain some traction before they go all out with the “build-to-order” idea.

Rumor: The specs of the first Motorola X Phone will be comparable to the HTC One, but they will not be a Galaxy S 4 or iPhone 6 killer.

Response: This news might disappoint some Motorola fan boys, but it lines up with earlier information. We were told that the X Phone brand of devices would largely be marketed as customizable phones that are the able to connect to companion accessories from Google, like Glass and their upcoming smartwatch.

Hardware OEMs are already telling us that specs are irrelevant, and the focus is now on app, services, and experiences that their devices can deliver. We were previously told that Google will heavily subsidize the retail price of this device, so it makes sense that the specs might not be bleeding edge in order to keep costs down.

The first X Phone will feature a soft touch button that doubles as a Motorola logo.
Rumor: The X Phone will feature a Motorola logo on the back of the device that acts as touch sensitive button that allows you to launch commands.

Response: This just confirms information that we already reported. We are told this feature might not be as cool as we made it sound, but hopefully Motorola allows users to customize what actions the rear button can control.

Rumor: Motorola will still release several more Droid phones this year.

Response: Google has been telling us they inherited an 18 month pipeline of products, so it makes sense that we should see several more Droid devices on Verizon.

Rumor: Motorola will release a Nexus phone at the end of the year. This device is not part of the “X Phone” brand.

Response: Recent rumors have suggested that LG will produce another Nexus phone, but that doesn’t mean that Motorola won’t. Last year we saw Nexus tablets from both ASUS and Samsung, so it’s totally plausible that we could see multiple Nexus phones from different manufacturers.

It’s a little confusing that Motorola would support both their X Phone brand and the Nexus brand, so I’m really interested to see how this turns out. We were under the impression that X Phones would be sold online and shipped unlocked, but that’s exactly how Nexus phones are sold. This could indicate that Motorola will include some additional services and software tweaks on top of Android with the X Phone brand, while the Nexus brand remains stock Android.

Evidence of both a Motorola X Phone and a Motorola Nexus phone could also explain why we have seen rumored specs that are all over the map.

Rumor: Google Watch will be announced and sold at around the same time as the Motorola X Phone.

Response: Another source told us the rumored Google smartwatch would launch this summer, and this information just backs that up. We have repeatedly seen the phrase “Google Watch” tossed around, but we do not know what the final product name is. For all we know, this device could end up under the Motorola brand if it’s going to be sold as a companion accessory for the X Phone.

WRAP UP
Part of my job is hypebeasting new products, but I’m genuinely excited to see what Motorola has in store. I have been writing about Android for nearly five years, but I have never carried a Motorola phone as my daily device. That could finally change and I’m fired up to customize my own Android phone.

Be sure to read up on rumor dump one and two if you missed our previous X Phone reports. Only the customizable RAM option has been debunked, so there’s a good chance that most of the other details could turn out to be true.

There is a lot of information to take in, so we are going to let it marinate for a few days and see what the response is. Experience tells us that one big leak encourages another, so hopefully more information will be coming soon. Google IO takes place on May 15-17, so we shouldn’t have to wait much longer for the official details.

gcubed

the best part of that entire article is that moto will be releasing a nexus device. The rest of it just a rehash. Yawn.

4.2.2 extended the usability of my Gnex, as long as i dont smash it i will be waiting for fall nexus.

So basically what everyone assumed a long time ago that the x phone is just going to be a normal motorola phone and the google influence will be in software and the whole customization thing on the play store. If they do plan to sell an unlocked version of it on the play store at an affordable price and it actually becomes successful, then I could see this being the future of nexus. I'm just not grasping how this can be successful though, doesn't it cost more to manufacture so many different devices. Different colours fine but different designs? Unless that just means one 720p phone and one 1080p phone.

the best part of that entire article is that moto will be releasing a nexus device.
haha I thought the same thing. These are the most tame rumours yet and I bet they are the most likely to be correct.

Would be great to see multiple nexus phones released by different manufacturers. That's always been the dream hasn't it. Anyway it looks like my plans are cemented. S4 I shall use until nexus 5 comes out.

gcubed

So basically what everyone assumed a long time ago that the x phone is just going to be a normal motorola phone and the google influence will be in software and the whole customization thing on the play store.

If they do plan to sell an unlocked version of it on the play store at an affordable price and it actually becomes successful, then I could see this being the future of nexus.

I'm just not grasping how this can be successful though, doesn't it cost more to manufacture so many different devices. Different colours fine but different designs? Unless that just means one 720p phone and one 1080p phone.

there won't be different designs, it'll most likely just be (factory)interchangeable backs. Nothing crazy going on on the customization with the hardware. Its going to have all the same internals as the GS4 and the One...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
customizable phones that are the able to connect to companion accessories from Google, like Glass and their upcoming smartwatch.

oxQLi.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the GS4 is going for $249 on contract at least through AT&T for preorder.

I wish high end on contract phones would stay at $199 (when not on sale/price dropped). I guess those days are long gone though. Makes the Nexus seem that much more of a deal though.

gcubed

So the GS4 is going for $249 on contract at least through AT&T for preorder.

I wish high end on contract phones would stay at $199 (when not on sale/price dropped). I guess those days are long gone though. Makes the Nexus seem that much more of a deal though.

you can get the same phone for $50 - $100 more when the X comes out... without a contract.

Damn it, AndroidAndMe. This is boring. I'm sure Motorola is "flipping out." Oh, well. Here are your clicks anyway :(

X Phone rumors

Honestly, I still think this shit stinks to heaven. I haven't forgotten "Project Roadrunner". And Kawaski confirmed nothing. He just posed the question "Wouldn't it be nice to customise your phone like this car?". It may be pure co-incedence. Until Android Police or someone relatively senior within the Android community pipes up with insider info (like Paul O'Brien did on the N4) then I'm not buying any of it.

gcubed

Honestly, I still think this shit stinks to heaven. I haven't forgotten "Project Roadrunner". And Kawaski confirmed nothing. He just posed the question "Wouldn't it be nice to customise your phone like this car?". It may be pure co-incedence. Until Android Police or someone relatively senior within the Android community pipes up with insider info (like Paul O'Brien did on the N4) then I'm not buying any of it.

whats there not to buy in that big list?

Vanillalite

you can get the same phone for $50 - $100 more when the X comes out... without a contract.

It's sandwiched in between say the HTC One or Sony Z at $199 and the Google Play Store Phones at $300/$350.

I'm not sure what to think even though it's going to sell like crazy.

gcubed

It's sandwiched in between say the HTC One or Sony Z at $199 and the Google Play Store Phones at $300/$350.

I'm not sure what to think even though it's going to sell like crazy.

not enough people care about contract free devices, combine that with the fact that in the US at least, unless you go to tmobile, there is no benefit to being contract free with the bigger carriers. (and seriously, who wants CDMA)

Taylor Wimberley. And the rest of the unannounced products. Though I do get your sarcasm ;-) Spread enough rumours and one of them will eventually come true right?

not even that, that list is pretty mundane as far as features go. Same specs as current phones releasing, interchangeable cases (which isn't CRAZY), the back touch button i guess, that seems useless. Subsidized through the play store, which was expected.

Vanillalite

I guess the Samsung price of $250 wouldn't look so bad if it wasn't shipping with 16 gigs stock. I don't know why for that price you can't get 32 gigs standard.

not enough people care about contract free devices, combine that with the fact that in the US at least, unless you go to tmobile, there is no benefit to being contract free with the bigger carriers. (and seriously, who wants CDMA)

not even that, that list is pretty mundane as far as features go. Same specs as current phones releasing, interchangeable cases (which isn't CRAZY), the back touch button i guess, that seems useless. Subsidized through the play store, which was expected.

Right now he's no better than the guy/girl who writes star sign columns in the local newspaper. If you speak in general broadstrokes you will always have a chance of being right. Much of what he says is a combination of logical, reasoned deduction and what has already been posted in other publications. Basically I could have made it up. And his track record is so iffy and his quality control so poor that I can't put stock in much of anything he says even if it sounds reasonable.

So basically what everyone assumed a long time ago that the x phone is just going to be a normal motorola phone and the google influence will be in software and the whole customization thing on the play store. If they do plan to sell an unlocked version of it on the play store at an affordable price and it actually becomes successful, then I could see this being the future of nexus. I'm just not grasping how this can be successful though, doesn't it cost more to manufacture so many different devices. Different colours fine but different designs? Unless that just means one 720p phone and one 1080p phone.

haha I thought the same thing. These are the most tame rumours yet and I bet they are the most likely to be correct.

Would be great to see multiple nexus phones released by different manufacturers. That's always been the dream hasn't it. Anyway it looks like my plans are cemented. S4 I shall use until nexus 5 comes out.
I'll believe it when I see it :p

I love my Nexus 4 but I honestly don't know if my next phone will be a Nexus. If Sony gets into the Nexus game then I would bite for sure. Love what (little) I've seen from the Xperia.

I guess the Samsung price of $250 wouldn't look so bad if it wasn't shipping with 16 gigs stock. I don't know why for that price you can't get 32 gigs standard.
that's truly the annoying part isn't it. If you're going to charge a premium price at least go all the way on the premiumness.

gcubed

Right now he's no better than the guy/girl who writes star sign columns in the local newspaper. If you speak in general broadstrokes you will always have a chance of being right. Much of what he says is a combination of logical, reasoned deduction and what has already been posted in other publications. Basically I could have made it up. And his track record is so iffy and his quality control so poor that I can't put stock in much of anything he says even if it sounds reasonable.

i'm not trying to give any credit here, i'm just speaking on terms of whats been released. this is just a rehash of what is already out there, he contributed zero and just summarized all rumors into a single post.

Vanillalite

that's truly the annoying part isn't it. If you're going to charge a premium price at least go all the way on the premiumness.

Exactly. If you are going to charge a premium which $250 on contract is a premium price then go all the way feature wise. It's not like they couldn't have thrown in 32 gigs of storage for that price.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The N4 will probably be dropped to $200 (16 GB) at I/O, which makes the S4's price even more laughable.

The N4 will probably be dropped to $200 (16 GB) at I/O, which makes the S4's price even more laughable.

Really? What's the basis for that rumor? It does not sound very likely. A 40% price cut on an item that is largely seen as underpriced?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Really? What's the basis for that rumor? It does not sound very likely.

Sorry, meant the 8 GB model. It's been $300 since launch, by I/O that will be over six months. Just seems plausible IMO, especially if they bring out something higher end to complement it.

Lets be honest though, even if they did that's not a fair comparison. Google can subsidise a phone to sell it at cost and hope to recoup some of the losses through enhanced uptake of services through Google Play. They are more interested in you using the ecosystem.

Samsung still make the majority of their cash on hardware sales and need to run a profit, and pay not just for the superior, more expensive internals than he N4 but also the vast marketing campaign they'll run. Whilst they are trying to build a rival ecosystem in some places It's always going to struggle when the Play Store is front and center as part of Android.

And lets not forget there's nothing inherently evil in charging an expensive price for your product. People will vote with their wallets.

Sorry, meant the 8 GB model. It's been $300 since launch, by I/O that will be over six months. Just seems plausible IMO, especially if they bring out something higher end to complement it.

I don't think they made friends with manufacturers when they priced it so. I think if Google really wanted to kill the competition hardware wise, they could have. The lack of devices is not due to stupidity or a wrong strategy, it's because they don't want to alienate their allies by digging too deep into their pockets. Hence the small distribution of the N4. IMO, there's no way they make the situation worse by making their allies look even worse in comparison, especially since they don't care that much about those sales.

Futureman

loving 4.2.2 battery optimization.

GNex here. On a normal day pre-4.2.2, I would be around 30-40% around this time. Sitting at 65% now.

DrFunk

N4 grows a superfluous nipple:
nexusae0_185.png

According to the guys over at German site MobiFlip, Google and LG may have pulled a fast one on us by very subtly updating the Nexus 4's design. The changes appear to be quite minor (yet useful), with the addition of small "nipples" on the bottom of the phone's backside being the most notable. Why would Google add such a small difference, you ask? Because as it stands, the N4's back is completely flat, which essentially mutes (or drastically muffles) the speaker when the phone is laid down. It's incredibly frustrating, and as a result I've missed several texts and phone calls since getting the N4. This new design tweak looks to remedy that.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...lently-and-subtly-update-the-nexus-4s-design/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm going to exchange my N4 eventually (creaking) so I hope I get the nipple.

RM8

I'm happy with my phone, but I won't lie, there are things I already miss about Windows Phone :p It seems like there's simply nothing like Zune for perfect, painless music sync-ing and my phone has crashed once already. Again, I don't regret switching, but it does make me appreciate WP a bit, it's a truly great OS and it's a shame it pretty much has no apps (the reason I switched).

I'm happy with my phone, but I won't lie, there are things I already miss about Windows Phone :p It seems like there's simply nothing like Zune for perfect, painless music sync-ing and my phone has crashed once already. Again, I don't regret switching, but it does make me appreciate WP a bit, it's a truly great OS and it's a shame it pretty much has no apps (the reason I switched).

Just use Google Music. Sign up for it with a proxy and after that you won't have to use a proxy anymore. Job done. Though really, you shouldn't have to use a proxy at all. The key to Android is customisation. You may have to put a little more effort in, but you'll get a lot more out in return.

RM8

Just use Google Music. Sign up for it with a proxy and after that you won't have to use a proxy anymore. Job done. Though really, you shouldn't have to use a proxy at all. The key to Android is customisation. You may have to put a little more effort in, but you'll get a lot more out in return.
Google Play software for PC isn't available in my country :/

I'm using Media Go... it gets the job done, but it messed up one album art and I swear I couldn't fix it no matter how many times I deleted the files. I had to pretty much change the format of the album (from MP3 to M4A) and ALSO the title of the album, because otherwise it'd keep assigning an incorrect album art. Ugh, it may not be a HUGE issue but Zune+WP is even better than iTunes+iPod in my experience, so this is indeed a step down for me.

Also, how come my Xperia P can't properly run Reckless Racing 2? :( It's like, the only Android game I love... and it's weird because it can run Asphalt 7. Oh well.

Google Play software for PC isn't available in my country :/

I'm using Media Go... it gets the job done, but it messed up one album art and I swear I couldn't fix it no matter how many times I deleted the files. I had to pretty much change the format of the album (from MP3 to M4A) and ALSO the title of the album, because otherwise it'd keep assigning an incorrect album art. Ugh, it may not be a HUGE issue but Zune+WP is even better than iTunes+iPod in my experience, so this is indeed a step down for me.

Also, how come my Xperia P can't properly run Reckless Racing 2? :( It's like, the only Android game I love... and it's weird because it can run Asphalt 7. Oh well.

Yeah I know it's not available for your country. That's why you use a proxy. That's how I had Google Play Music about 6 months before it came to the UK :p

Cipherr

They really do need to get Google Music available everywhere so that people don't have to use the proxy to sign up. Its a nice workaround, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Some inexcusable shit right there. GMusic streaming and whatnot is probably 30% of what I use my phone for. I'd be pissed if I was somewhere where it wasn't available.

Groof

They really do need to get Google Music available everywhere so that people don't have to use the proxy to sign up. Its a nice workaround, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Some inexcusable shit right there. GMusic streaming and whatnot is probably 30% of what I use my phone for. I'd be pissed if I was somewhere where it wasn't available.

At least get the cloud service up and running everywhere. The music purchasing and stuff can come later, which is probably what's holding it back.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Doesn't that have to do with the way the app itself is coded?

Nope

The GS3 names it's internal space as sdcard so apps think the 12 gigs or whatever internal space you get is really a microsd card. You have to use a file manager to move files over to the micro sd card manually.

Groof

Nope

The GS3 names it's internal space as sdcard so apps think the 12 gigs or whatever internal space you get is really a microsd card. You have to use a file manager to move files over to the micro sd card manually.

Hahaha oh shit, that explains a looot of the confusion I had with my S2.

My Galaxy Nexus finally updated to 4.2.2 last night, and now the app I had installed for making my text vibrations louder and longer no longer works. Anything I can do? The vibration is so weak.

Groof

First impression (haven't finished reading it yet) is that while the design isn't the best, it's definitely way better than the S3.

Edit:
We like what Samsung has done with the latest iteration of TouchWiz. Despite pilling feature upon feature, the whole thing really feels intuitive and well organized. Placing widgets, rearranging menu and homescreen panes, getting to your important settings, etc. is now faster than ever.

I'M OUT.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Any recommendations for a good tablet? Preferably something good for reading and taking on trips. As nice as a fully featured 10" tablet would be, I don't need something that crazy.

I thought about a Kindle Fire but I don't know much about them.

Any recommendations for a good tablet? Preferably something good for reading and taking on trips. As nice as a fully featured 10" tablet would be, I don't need something that crazy.

I thought about a Kindle Fire but I don't know much about them.

Wait for the Nexus 7 update, or get a Nexus 7, they are pretty handy and cheap.

reilo

Wait for the Nexus 7 update, or get a Nexus 7, they are pretty handy and cheap.

When is the Nexus 7 update supposed to be out? I'm also debating getting a 4G capable tablet (in case I'm traveling) or get a HotSpot/MyFi device instead.

EDIT: BestBuy/Amazon has a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 8GB for $180.

DrFunk

so uh:

SamsungExynos5OctaLTE.png

It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S 4 two model debacle is not a repeat of last year. Last year, the Samsung Galaxy S III came out with a quad core Exynos 4 processor in Europe without LTE, and a dual core Snapdragon S4 Plus in the US with LTE support. The reasoning was that the Exynos 4 integrated radios only had support for HSPA+ 21, so they couldn’t use it in the US (whose carriers demanded LTE). Later, Samsung built an external modem with LTE bands and created the Galaxy S III LTE, along with all models of the Note II running an Exynos 4 quad core.

However, when we heard that some countries will be getting the Exynos 5 Octa core Galaxy S 4 and some (like the US) will be getting a Snapdragon 600, we were disheartened. The Exynos 5 is not only cooler sounding (octa core!), but is literally better sounding (thanks to the amazing Wolfson Micro amp). Performance arguments will be saved for later. People thought that the Octa didn’t support LTE, even though Samsung already developed the external modem. That was debunked by the Samsung Exynos Twitter, who stated that the Octa supports all 20 bands of LTE. Awesome right?

Unfortunately, this does not change the fact that the US is getting the Snapdragon 600 model. This is probably due to shortages in Exynos 5 chips, and is quite upsetting. I guess it’s time to get importing!

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...rt-lte/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

reilo

Office Depot has a 16GB Nexus 7 for $200. Hrmm. No microSD slot, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom