• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the Nexus 7 update supposed to be out? I'm also debating getting a 4G capable tablet (in case I'm traveling) or get a HotSpot/MyFi device instead.

EDIT: BestBuy/Amazon has a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 8GB for $180.

Don't get a Galaxy Tab. They are all terrible. Samsung have not fixed TouchWiz for tablets and made it bearable like that have for phones.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Correct. Nexus = No expandable memory.

Don't get a Galaxy Tab. They are all terrible. Samsung have not fixed TouchWiz for tablets and made it bearable like that have for phones.

That's the standard price you can find it anywhere anytime btw,

Thanks all. I got the Nexus 7 16GB. 1280x800 looks great on a 7" tablet. 10"? Not so much.

My parents have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" and I was not impressed with all of the UI changes and crap software added to it that you can't remove. Not to mention the resolution.

16GB should be enough since I don't plan to do any multimedia, mainly for reading.

I played around with the Kindle Fire HD and HATED the UI so I stopped using it within :30s.

I was just thinking. A few posts in here are happy that the 4.2.2 update to their Nexus has helped their battery life pretty significantly.

Do you think it would make the One's battery life even better than it already is when it comes in a month or two? Or not much? Just speculating here.

Alright so I've come from using an iPod touch/iPhone where you could just click on streams and embedded videos in Safari and they'd just work. Now it's nothing but unsupported messages. Kinda bummed... is there a way to fix this?

reKon

Banned
I'll leave this here also:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...firms-amoleds-can-finally-do-accurate-colors/

211qvyuvdclt3ctn.gif

Alright so I've come from using an iPod touch/iPhone where you could just click on streams and embedded videos in Safari and they'd just work. Now it's nothing but unsupported messages. Kinda bummed... is there a way to fix this?

Is it flash video thats not working? Are you using Chrome? From what i've heard other browsers support flash but Chrome doesn't. Could be wrong though.

I was just thinking. A few posts in here are happy that the 4.2.2 update to their Nexus has helped their battery life pretty significantly.

Do you think it would make the One's battery life even better than it already is when it comes in a month or two? Or not much? Just speculating here.

It depends on whether the update improved things through better software power management (ie kernel stuff) or whether it was driven by improved drivers which can be different on every device.

Well I'm just wondering why my apple devices that didn't support flash flawlessly handled most embedded videos and streams.

The only issue I've had via Chrome is with flash stuff. Non flash should be fine. Try the Chrome beta or another browser and see if you have the same issue.

EDIT - Have you got a specific URL I can test?

Well I'm just wondering why my apple devices that didn't support flash flawlessly handled most embedded videos and streams.

From what I understand, websites and apps have specific iOS versions to help with loading flash stuff. I'm not too technical when it comes to this but if it loads a mobile version of the website it usually has ways of playing flash.

For example theres tons of news sites I go to on my iphone that don't load a web version and the videos don't play. It's either a black box or a small line to tell me to upgrade my flash player.

reilo

Does anyone have a preference between Kindle or Play Books? Does one provide better deals at all over the other?

So the GS4 is going for $249 on contract at least through AT&T for preorder.

I wish high end on contract phones would stay at $199 (when not on sale/price dropped). I guess those days are long gone though. Makes the Nexus seem that much more of a deal though.

$249?

hahahahahhahahaha WAT

who came up with that idea?

now that right there, that is a reason to get an HTC One for $199

First impression (haven't finished reading it yet) is that while the design isn't the best, it's definitely way better than the S3.

Edit:

I'M OUT.
(Avatar Quote)

gcubed

Does anyone have a preference between Kindle or Play Books? Does one provide better deals at all over the other?

i only ever get stuff on Play when its on a super sale. You can get your Play Books onto your kindle with some converting. I own a regular kindle and i do most of my reading on that anyway. Like Music, Amazon has the best sales

reilo

i only ever get stuff on Play when its on a super sale. You can get your Play Books onto your kindle with some converting. I own a regular kindle and i do most of my reading on that anyway. Like Music, Amazon has the best sales

Perfect. The apps are similar enough in what they need to do, plus it looks like both of them have the same free books available atm.

The Epic 4G Touch is getting its Jelly Bean today, courtesy of Sprint. Don't bother looking in system settings for a notification, as this one is only available through Kies due to its large size. Sprint is not listing any specific changes on its update page, but this update to build GB27 should bring with it the usual Jelly Bean goodies like Google Now and Project Butter.
and the G2x is still on Gingerbread. stay free LG.

damn, Super fucking AMOLED STYLIN' ON THESE FOOLS!!!

LCD bitches didn't know about Dat Adobe RGB setting.

I can't wait to see what the Note 3's screen will be like. Full RGB matrix 1080p Super AMOLED HD with Adobe RGB setting will put the final nail in LCD's coffin. I told myself I wasn't going to get an N3 and hold on to my N2 for 2 years, but Samsung is making it really hard to hold back if the S4 will be the hardware platform for the N3. If the Exynos 5 Octa supports hardware acceleration for 10-bit AVC decoding, I don't know if I'll have any choice but to jump in.

Just looking over the gsmarena review. The S4s camera is crazy impressive. Even at 100% crop. Destroying Sony with their own sensor.

Samsung's superior camera software goes a long way towards the final result. Sony seems like they are still getting there in the software department judging from reviews of the Xperia Z/ZL.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Some website devs are morons. They default to html5 videos for iOS browsers but use flash for anything else. Get a browser that can spoof iOS Safari and it'll work.

That's why for a long time android flash warriors were so defensive, they didn't realize most of their fave sites were working just fine on the iphone and it's the web developers that were screwing android lol. They still do it. But it's a lot better for all webkit browsers now. Chrome...not sure.

Groof

I can't wait to see what the Note 3's screen will be like. Full RGB matrix 1080p Super AMOLED HD with Adobe RGB setting will put the final nail in LCD's coffin. I told myself I wasn't going to get an N3 and hold on to my N2 for 2 years, but Samsung is making it really hard to hold back if the S4 will be the hardware platform for the N3. If the Exynos 5 Octa supports hardware acceleration for 10-bit AVC decoding, I don't know if I'll have any choice but to jump in.

Lol no.

coffin? you mean punt the urn.

Just looking over the gsmarena review. The S4s camera is crazy impressive. Even at 100% crop. Destroying Sony with their own sensor.

Samsung's superior camera software goes a long way towards the final result. Sony seems like they are still getting there in the software department judging from reviews of the Xperia Z/ZL.
to be fair, it's not just Samsung that embarrasses Sony with their own sensors, everyone else does too.

That's why for a long time android flash warriors were so defensive, they didn't realize most of their fave sites were working just fine on the iphone and it's the web developers that were screwing android lol. They still do it. But it's a lot better for all webkit browsers now. Chrome...not sure.

iLike playing Nanaca Crash on my phone.

Cipherr

Lol yeah, actually. That would leave LCD with one sole benefit. Slightly brighter whites. But if AMOLED matched LCD in color accuracy, while retaining superior contrast and blacks while also using a standard RGB matrix, LCD would pretty much be outclassed nearly across the board.

all i gotta say is ... i called it loooong time ago. S4 Pentile, Note 3 full RGB. wait and see...

and i was telling people about the Natural and Movie modes in the S3 and Note 2. and now Samsung is making a big deal about it. it's no mistake that they pointed out the multiple screen modes to the media. what are peeps saying now? already got peeps saying "its not default, people wont know" as the latest goalpost shift...

Groof

I'm not saying it's not possible, but what is the reasoning for using Pentile in S4 if the RGB matrix is doable? And this is a serious question, because I find it strange.

If they manage to make "burn in" less of an issue, then I can agree, LCD will get fucked. I do miss the deep blacks of my S2, but that's the only thing I miss from that screen. The deteriorated display is horrible to go back to.

In response to national security concerns, Sprint Nextel and Softbank pledged not to incorporate gear from Huawei Technologies into Sprint's network core, the chairman of the House intelligence committee said today.

Rep. Mike Rogers, the chairman of the committee, said he had met with representatives from both companies and was assured that equipment from the Chinese telecommunications gear maker would not be used in the U.S. cellular infrastructure. As a condition for approving Softbank's $20 billion acquisition of Sprint, the U.S. government was reportedly seeking oversight of network equipment purchases to exclude equipment from Huawei and ZTE.
OH SNAP! thats one helluva condition.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ow-not-to-use-huawei-gear-in-sprints-network/

I'm not saying it's not possible, but what is the reasoning for using Pentile in S4 if the RGB matrix is doable? And this is a serious question, because I find it strange.

If they manage to make "burn in" less of an issue, then I can agree, LCD will get fucked. I do miss the deep blacks of my S2, but that's the only thing I miss from that screen. The deteriorated display is horrible to go back to.

cost.

it's not doable at 5", but at 6" the rules are different.

RM8

Guys, my Xperia P has Android 2.3.7 and insists that it's up to date, when it should update to ICS :S What could be the problem here?

RM8

That'd suck HARD :/ But it's weird since the box had a "ICS upgradable" sticker. Oh man... I went from being stuck with Windows Phone 7 to being stuck with Gingerbread if that's the case, lol.

RM8

I used an online tool, not sure if it was that one, will check when I'm home. Mexico site says my build should be 6.1.1.B.1.54 and I'm at 6.0.B.1.564, so there's hope I guess :p

Thanks guys!

Groof

I used an online tool, not sure if it was that one, will check when I'm home. Mexico site says my build should be 6.1.1.B.1.54 and I'm at 6.0.B.1.564, so there's hope I guess :p

Thanks guys!

Hope it works out, but don't expect too much hah. Samsung's Kies was utter shit and barely worked.

RM8

I decided to ge this phone because it supposedly will support even Jelly Bean, I'm going to be pissed off if that's not the case
and kind of wishing I had bought a newer Lumia :p

I decided to ge this phone because it supposedly will support even Jelly Bean, I'm going to be pissed off if that's not the case
and kind of wishing I had bought a newer Lumia :p

The Xperia P Jelly Bean update will be out within a week. Once it is out there will be countless FTF files out there which you can flash using flashtool. You don't even have to unlock the bootloader and void your warranty.

If it isn't updating to ICS, then you can force it by using Sony Update Service. It will put the phone into flashmode and push down the software version listed for your region, which looks like ICS. Honestly, it's probably not worth the hassle right now with JB so close to release.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/28/googles-unified-chat-actually-named-babel-coming-to-android-ios-chrome-g-and-gmail/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28Droid+Life%29

Apparently it won't be called Babble, it will be called Babel. And it'll be cross platform. Which it needed to be to be successful. Just crossing my fingers that they can find a way to integrate/replace SMS whatsapp style. If they do that and it's all powered by G+ then they may have a way of actually eating into Facebook.

Blackhead

Redarse
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/28/googles-unified-chat-actually-named-babel-coming-to-android-ios-chrome-g-and-gmail/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28Droid+Life%29

Apparently it won't be called Babble, it will be called Babel. And it'll be cross platform. Which it needed to be to be successful. Just crossing my fingers that they can find a way to integrate/replace SMS whatsapp style. If they do that and it's all powered by G+ then they may have a way of actually eating into Facebook.

Easy way for Google to get people to add their phone number to their account. And, yep, if Google does this right it could be the killer app for Google+ adoption.

giga

No webos or blackberry app. Cross platform my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom