• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Yeah that ultra pixel is super fake. I'll be hyped to eat crow, but cmon. No way.

No way they pull a iPhone X move on us.

Also I'm receiving my Pixel XL replacement for my Nexus 6P today. Fucking hyped they started doing that. Since I purchased it from the Google store they made it super easy.

With the rumors that the new Pixels will once again be Verizon exclusives this will make my wait until I can afford to drop the cash on one that much easier.

I haven't seen that Verizon rumor on the web but Im pretty sure it was mentioned on the AAA podcast.

LogicStep

Yeah that ultra pixel is super fake. I'll be hyped to eat crow, but cmon. No way.

No way they pull a iPhone X move on us.

Also I'm receiving my Pixel XL replacement for my Nexus 6P today. Fucking hyped they started doing that. Since I purchased it from the Google store they made it super easy.

With the rumors that the new Pixels will once again be Verizon exclusives this will make my wait until I can afford to drop the cash on one that much easier.

I haven't seen that Verizon rumor on the web but Im pretty sure it was mentioned on the AAA podcast.
Verizon exclusive? Wtf? I hope not, I'm on ATT.

CronoShot

Pixel 2 screen protectors:
DKy9xtXXcAAun0K

Stereo for the xl too. Notification LED on the right? YES! Thought they might kill it for the bad always-on display shit.

Sigh. One of the things I loved about last year's Pixels was that they didn't gimp the smaller one in favor of the larger one.

So much for that.

Wag

Google Assistant was finally added to the Nvidia Shield TV today. I'm trying to figure out how it works.

In theory, shouldn't I be able to say something to my android phone like, "Play Bojack Horesman on Netflix on Shield" and it should just do that?

In the Assistant settings in the Google app on the phone it shows shortcuts like "Turn up the TV" to work in conjunction with the Harmony Hub, and you can link the Netflix app to the Shield but nothing seems to work quite right when I do it.

Can someone explain how exactly to get it to work?

Google Assistant was finally added to the Nvidia Shield TV today. I'm trying to figure out how it works.

In theory, shouldn't I be able to say something to my android phone like, "Play Bojack Horesman on Netflix on Shield" and it should just do that?

In the Assistant settings in the Google app on the phone it shows shortcuts like "Turn up the TV" to work in conjunction with the Harmony Hub, and you can link the Netflix app to the Shield but nothing seems to work quite right when I do it.

Can someone explain how exactly to get it to work?
I don't think you use your phone. You use the remote or controller with the shield.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol so what's the point of releasing these 4K devices?

At this point I think Chromecast IS redundant.

Fire TV is nice if you want the voice search. It's rather redundant too though.

Apple TV is the one that might actually be worth it if only because it has a ton of shit you can't get elsewhere. You aren't gonna get access to iTunes nor all of the Apple exclusive apps or games.

My TV has Netflix, Amazon, and HBO built in. So like I don't need to use anything else honestly.

Yeah. My mom is the main account holder. Doesn't matter the age of the other.

HOLY

SHIT

GAME CHANGER

I just went back to the T-Mobile page for the 55+ offer and read the terms and damn...only the primary on the account needs to be 55+. That can't be an accident. T-Mobile knows what they are doing.

Fuck, this is great. I got to call my mom or dad right now lol

edit: IT HAS BEGUN

Jeffrey

HOLY

SHIT

GAME CHANGER

I just went back to the T-Mobile page for the 55+ offer and read the terms and damn...only the primary on the account needs to be 55+. That can't be an accident. T-Mobile knows what they are doing.

Fuck, this is great. I got to call my mom or dad right now lol

Yep. Only limitation from what I can tell is that you dont get free Netflix with this option.

My body is ready for Gear IconX 2

Galaxy Note 8 screen is a bit fucking insane. I'm still not sold on the curve at the edges even though I get this is how the Ocho can actually be slightly narrower than my 4.

It's a bit hilarious having KT apps on the phone and random Hangul popping up on this device. Since it's a KT-branded Blue Ocho 256 GB I can run the KT app and sign into my KT account. Oh wait. I should just uninstall the KT apps, it's just funny having them. The boot animation is the KT logo too.

kaiyo

Out of the Nokia 8, Sony Xperia XZ1 and Samsung Note8 which would you recommend and why?

I've got a cashback offer from my bank on at the moment where I can get £50 cashback if I switch to EE, but having trouble deciding on a phone I'd want to stick with for the next 2 years.

XZ1 Compact, it has a beast of a battery life unless you want a large phone.

XZ1 probably the snappiest one. Battery life span would still be like new 2 years later too. Oreo out of the box and quick updates.

Blackhead

Redarse
Telus now offers Android visual voicemail for Google Pixel, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P

Telus is now offering visual voicemail for Android Oreo-powered Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P devices and notes that more “capable devices” are coming soon.

The visual voicemail add-on at Telus costs $5 per month and allows for simultaneous storage of up to 25 messages.

Visual voicemail first made its way into the Android operating system with Marshmallow in 2015, and has since become a much-requested feature by Android users on Telus’ community forums.

As for Telus’ two major competitors: neither Bell nor Rogers advertise an Android visual voicemail feature.

Finally

cabot

They aren't though.

I mean never once has my family complained my TV is too slow and can't play Netflix fast enough.

I can tell you that using the OS on my Samsung TV is fairly slow and crap.

Another reason I'm considering a 4K box away from the TV is not having much faith in these built-in apps working consistently in the long term

I want an Android TV box but I have no need for a $300 CAD Shield and the rest look like they’ll never even see an OS upgrade. Honestly have little hope for the platform with where Apple and Amazon are now.

Vanillalite

Old TVs were shit with built in apps.

Everyone I know who has a newer 4K TV from Samsung, LG, Vizio ect... are all fine.

I mean I own a Chromecast and I have an X1 box along the with a PS4. We could use any of that for Netflix, but there is zero reason to.

The one exception being Watch ESPN as I don't have a built in app for that so I just use the PS4.

Also can't remember the last time RTings just shit on built in smart TV apps. That's cause they all work fine.

Quasar

I want an Android TV box but I have no need for a $300 CAD Shield and the rest look like they’ll never even see an OS upgrade. Honestly have little hope for the platform with where Apple and Amazon are now.

Well...I see neither of those platforms as that interesting. The atv still lacks functionality that I consider basic and a dealbreaker (support for 24p and audio pass through for lossless audio) and I still dislike the Siri remote. And the Fire devices continue to seem only useful if you are tied to amazons ecosystem and little else.

The best thing going for Apple is the 4K iTunes content and the free upgrades. And I’ll admit I’m bummed they aren’t allowing people to down that to Windows PCs. I guess that was a concession to get it at all.

The shield is down to us179 so it should be that expensive.

Hmm tempted to get an Alcantara case for my S8+. Anyone have any experience with it?
Got one for my Note8 on Amazon for about £20 off.

It's nice enough. Very comfortable and grippy and doesn't add much bulk to the phone.

It does look great but it also picks up dust sometimes which can be annoying.

I'm sure it isn't amazing in terms of protection but if you're sensible with your phone it's more than enough.

Everyone I know who has a newer 4K TV from Samsung, LG, Vizio ect... are all fine.

I mean I own a Chromecast and I have an X1 box along the with a PS4. We could use any of that for Netflix, but there is zero reason to.

The one exception being Watch ESPN as I don't have a built in app for that so I just use the PS4.

Also can't remember the last time RTings just shit on built in smart TV apps. That's cause they all work fine.

Interesting. I use to use my PS4 for tv watching but for lower consumption (I have a pro) it's just too much to watch TV and some apps on the PlayStation are still ugly. Chromecast can cast anything at anytime including your screen if you are watching a video not hosted on YouTube or any of those apps, so I highly disagree that it's redundant. It by far the easiest to use considering you do everything from your phone without the need of a controller. Plus built in TV apps are still vanilla compared to the current apps that are updated much faster on the phone vs the tv.

Vanillalite

Interesting. I use to use my PS4 for tv watching but for lower consumption (I have a pro) it's just too much to watch TV and some apps on the PlayStation are still ugly. Chromecast can cast anything at anytime including your screen if you are watching a video not hosted on YouTube or any of those apps, so I highly disagree that it's redundant. It by far the easiest to use considering you do everything from your phone without the need of a controller. Plus built in TV apps are still vanilla compared to the current apps that are updated much faster on the phone vs the tv.

I guess if you are big on screen mirroring, but most of the general public just wants access to Stranger Things, The Grand Tour, and Game of Thrones.

All of that shit is built in and all the 4K TV apps do 4K HDR where applicable.

For the general population buying a separate device is redundant.

Apple being an exception because you can't get iTunes content without one.

Vanillalite

2018 gonna be interesting as everyone is jumping on the 18:9 small bezels bandwagon now.

Like what is everyone gonna do next year for improvement?

reKon

Banned
Every phone will look sexy, but they will look the same. I see why Apple stuck with what they did. It may be uglier, but it will still stand out.

I guess if you are big on screen mirroring, but most of the general public just wants access to Stranger Things, The Grand Tour, and Game of Thrones.

All of that shit is built in and all the 4K TV apps do 4K HDR where applicable.

For the general population buying a separate device is redundant.

Apple being an exception because you can't get iTunes content without one.

Not Quite

People are buying these boxes and separate devices because not all TVs have reliable smart capabilities and some of them are simply just worse. Some people don't even hook up their TVs to the internet which is why they continue to use boxes to get the job done. They will never stop being redundant until smart TVs actually get better at being smart, which they still fail at.

No one wants to deal with force closes and freezes and all that stuff that half of these TVs have no fix for.

Vanillalite

Not Quite

People are buying these boxes and separate devices because not all TVs have reliable smart capabilities and some of them are simply just worse. Some people don't even hook up their TVs to the internet which is why they continue to use boxes to get the job done. They will never stop being redundant until smart TVs actually get better at being smart, which they still fail at.

No one wants to deal with force closes and freezes and all that stuff that half of these TVs have no fix for.

People are using boxes on older TVs that either lack or have shitty smart TV capability.

The poster above asked who's buying the new 4K streaming boxes.

You aren't buying a 4K box if you don't have a 4K TV, and if you have a 4K TV your smart TV shit isn't terrible like it was a decade ago.

Again someone want to point me to this long list of shitty 4K TV smart TV apps/interface reviews on RTings?

Good luck cause they don't exist.

Edit: From that article

Overall, smart TVs will capture the most streaming-video viewers with 81.2 million U.S. users this year, 

everything is pretty responsive but the Twitch and Twitter apps on my Samsung 4K TV are already EoL

Top Bottom