• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

can someone explain this 'google stops supporting security patches after two years thing' ?
does this mean the phones are hackable and unsafe after two years? I'd like to get the pixel 2 and have it last for 3-4 years

LG plz. You have a phone with a Quad DAC yet you can't even provide a decent set of headphones in the package?

Got a G6 last month...

Not sure if it just needs burn in (bought a decent pair so no reason to use LG stock), but the thing was so bad that drum had it's "hitting" and reverberation seem like they were coming from separate sources.

I spent an hour or two comparing my old IEM, the new pair, and the G6 stock.

The stock is now stashed away at the office as an "emergency web meeting earphones" in case I forgot to bring my usual ones.

Quasar

can someone explain this 'google stops supporting security patches after two years thing' ?
does this mean the phones are hackable and unsafe after two years? I'd like to get the pixel 2 and have it last for 3-4 years

Just that google guarantees support for an amount of time for major OS updates and security patches. After that time Google won’t provide security patches. Though that depends. The Nexus 5X for instance is getting an extension to its assumed end of support date.

And that means after that date, should a security hole be found Google isn’t breaking its word if it doesn’t provide a patch.

Linux kernel Long Term Support triples to 6 years. This should give Google (and other oems, but really just Google) the ability provide updates for more than 2 years. At least they could if they wanted to.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...kernel-lts-releases-are-now-good-for-6-years/

Google should also be the one issuing the security updates and not OEMs and telcos. Imagine if a notebook wouldn't get the latest updates after 2 or 3 years, because Dell wants you to sell a new one.

Quasar

Google should also be the one issuing the security updates and not OEMs and telcos. Imagine if a notebook wouldn't get the latest updates after 2 or 3 years, because Dell wants you to sell a new one.

But Dell isn’t forking Windows.

Hopefully project treble helps.

The Qualcomm monopoly does not help either.

Jeffrey

Huh must have missed this before but apparently kirin 970 gonna have 5.5 billion transistors lol.

Cpu never been an issue from them. Just need more efficient gpu.

My mate 9 battery life wasn't amazing if I gamed a bunch. Got toasty too. A bit disappointing.

Just got a Moto Z Play as an early birthday present.

The fingerprint sensor on this thing is crazy fast compared to my S7 Edge, and I'm loving not having a curved screen anymore.

One thing I didn't like that I haven't noticed with other phones is that the Android updates weren't cumulative, so I had to download and install about 5 updates so far since booting it yesterday.

But Dell isn’t forking Windows.

Hopefully project treble helps.

The Qualcomm monopoly does not help either.

I could be wrong, but aren't OEMs paying Google, when their phones ship with Google Play Services? Google should still be responsible in that case.

Quixzlizx

I could be wrong, but aren't OEMs paying Google, when their phones ship with Google Play Services? Google should still be responsible in that case.

Google doesn't stop updating Play Services, do they?

How are you expecting them to support every janky fork out there?

Huh must have missed this before but apparently kirin 970 gonna have 5.5 billion transistors lol.

Cpu never been an issue from them. Just need more efficient gpu.

My mate 9 battery life wasn't amazing if I gamed a bunch. Got toasty too. A bit disappointing.

they shoulda bought Imagination

Quasar

Not technically. But they need to pay a 3rd party to get their device certified to meet the bar set by Google to allow them to get the free Google Mobile Services license. At least that was my understanding.

longdi

Banned
Played with the xz1 and xz1c, and i say they look much better in person! Very slim, very light, yet structurally sound. The black color have a nice mix of shiny matte and sparkling gloss, best described as premium looking, not cheapy piano gloss.

As for the bezels, trust me, you won't notice them after awhile. The curve sides and slimness negate the bezels, which already are not overbearing and looks part of the design language. Most comfy sony phones yet.

Oh the 3d scanning is snappier than i expected, like you won't think this is version 1! It works as fast as taking panaroma photos! Though running it on a11 may give it more freedom.

Only lol thing is that xz1 using the same battery as xz1c, 2700mah. LOL!

Jeffrey

Urgh been having heat up battery bugs on my op5 today and a bit yesterday where android system uses up like 40% battery.

Feels like every android phone I've had has had that problem once in a while.

reKon

Banned
Played with the xz1 and xz1c, and i say they look much better in person! Very slim, very light, yet structurally sound. The black color have a nice mix of shiny matte and sparkling gloss, best described as premium looking, not cheapy piano gloss.

As for the bezels, trust me, you won't notice them after awhile. The curve sides and slimness negate the bezels, which already are not overbearing and looks part of the design language. Most comfy sony phones yet.

Oh the 3d scanning is snappier than i expected, like you won't think this is version 1! It works as fast as taking panaroma photos! Though running it on a11 may give it more freedom.

Only lol thing is that xz1 using the same battery as xz1c, 2700mah. LOL!

and it still has good battery life. My brother said that his Nexus 6P battery life improved as well after the Oreo update. Looks like the optimizations are legit.

Urgh been having heat up battery bugs on my op5 today and a bit yesterday where android system uses up like 40% battery.

No issue on mine. Probably memory leaks or wakelocks from an app you downloaded.

Samsungs don't have this problem.

But I decided I can't deal with curved screens so Samsung has more or less designed themselves out of my market. I'm sending the Ocho back. It's a nice phone, but fuck these curved screens. When Samsung goes back to making phones with flat screens, I'll come back to the fold.

This leaves me for the first time without a manufacturer to buy phones from. I'm not buying LG. I'm not an iOS person and my ecosystem investment is entirely Android. So that leaves...not a whole lot else.

I'm seriously looking at this Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. It's a phone with just the screen as the front, like the S8/S8+/Note8. (Historical note: The original Mi Mix was the first phone to do the screen as the whole front design. Samsung, LG, and Apple actually copied from this device.) It lacks a microSD slot but this hardly matters when the 256 GB version of the device costs $660. However it also lacks a headphone jack, you either plug into the USB-C with an adapter like the recent iPhones use or you make do with Bluetooth. Also it's SD835, so it has all the world's entire set of LTE bands but I have to deal with fucking Snapdragon. Unfortunately there's not much left in SoCs besides Apple Ax, Samsung Exynos, and Qualcomm Snapdragon unless you're going to buy like Mediatek or Huawei Kirin or something. Sigh.

The Android phone market has turned into shit and it was fine when Samsung still offered flat screens but now it's kinda shit.

NeOak

But I decided I can't deal with curved screens so Samsung has more or less designed themselves out of my market. I'm sending the Ocho back. It's a nice phone, but fuck these curved screens. When Samsung goes back to making phones with flat screens, I'll come back to the fold.

This leaves me for the first time without a manufacturer to buy phones from. I'm not buying LG. I'm not an iOS person and my ecosystem investment is entirely Android. So that leaves...not a whole lot else.

I'm seriously looking at this Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. It's a phone with just the screen as the front, like the S8/S8+/Note8. (Historical note: The original Mi Mix was the first phone to do the screen as the whole front design. Samsung, LG, and Apple actually copied from this device.) It lacks a microSD slot but this hardly matters when the 256 GB version of the device costs $660. However it also lacks a headphone jack, you either plug into the USB-C with an adapter like the recent iPhones use or you make do with Bluetooth. Also it's SD835, so it has all the world's entire set of LTE bands but I have to deal with fucking Snapdragon. Unfortunately there's not much left in SoCs besides Apple Ax, Samsung Exynos, and Qualcomm Snapdragon unless you're going to buy like Mediatek or Huawei Kirin or something. Sigh.

The Android phone market has turned into shit and it was fine when Samsung still offered flat screens but now it's kinda shit.

Psssstttt S8 Active.

It's supposed to have an unlocked version soon.

If only they were cool with Huawei still.

Mate nexus would be the shit.

Make them 6.6 inches big.

I mean it's a 6" screen supposedly. Other than cutting down the bezels you basically want a Nexus 7 as a phone.

That one is fine, but to me they have gone backwards a bit. The nexus 6 has a bigger screen than the 1st generation pixel XL. The current Note Ocho has a 6.3" screen. The XL2 rumored 6" needed to be in last year model, and this year needed to go beyond that.

Googy please!!

Psssstttt S8 Active.

It's supposed to have an unlocked version soon.

Woah...that actually looks pretty cool.

Since it's the same hardware as the regular US S8, I bet the bootloader is also locked on it though. That will probably make it a no-go for me.

I tried to use the Ocho unrooted...ads everywhere all over everything. Is this really what normal people see on their phones all the time? Ugh.

Jeffrey

So Huawei is doing a desktop thing too with mate 10.

Apple needs to get on this. Their a11 is too much power for their limited iphone OS functionality.

NeOak

Woah...that actually looks pretty cool.

Since it's the same hardware as the regular US S8, I bet the bootloader is also locked on it though. That will probably make it a no-go for me.

I tried to use the Ocho unrooted...ads everywhere all over everything. Is this really what normal people see on their phones all the time? Ugh.
That's because you cling to shitty Chrome instead of the superior Samsung Browser that has add-ons.

If you mean not web browsing, then yeah.

reKon

Banned
Wow, the pandora andrioid app is fucking trash. I got 90 days premium for free through T Mobile, but so far I've been very disappointed.

1) Explicit versions of songs mixed in the clean versions
2) Everytime I open the app, it AUTOPLAYS. Like what the hell? This happens even when you don't have head phones plugged in. I've made sure that all autoplay related settings have been turned off and it doesn't work.
3) The first time I tried, it took my way too long to figure out where created playlists go. Just terrible a terrible interface.

probably just going to uninstall this

That's because you cling to shitty Chrome instead of the superior Samsung Browser that has add-ons.

If you mean not web browsing, then yeah.

Yeah, I do mean not browsing. I was shocked by how every app was plastered with ads everywhere covering half the screen. I've been running whole-device ad blocking for years on my devices so I didn't know it was this bad.

I tried, really tried, to use Samsung Browser on the Ocho. I don't like the UI. I didn't come from Windows Phone and having important UI elements on the bottom of the screen instead of the top is completely counter-intuitive to me. I don't need UI blasting at me from the top and bottom forcing me to hunt around the top and bottom of the screen to figure out where my tabs are, just keep the UI all at the top where the notifications bar already sits jeez.

Wow, the pandora andrioid app is fucking trash. I got 90 days premium for free through T Mobile, but so far I've been very disappointed.

1) Explicit versions of songs mixed in the clean versions
2) Everytime I open the app, it AUTOPLAYS. Like what the hell? This happens even when you don't have head phones plugged in. I've made sure that all autoplay related settings have been turned off and it doesn't work.
3) The first time I tried, it took my way too long to figure out where created playlists go. Just terrible a terrible interface.

probably just going to uninstall this

Pandora has always been trash. It's garbage on the desktop in browsers too. If you listen for free and put up with the ads, it's not terrible for just background noise like at work or something. If you actually like music and listening to music, Pandora can go fuck itself. Apple Music and Google Play Music are both vastly superior, especially if you pay the sub.

Jeffrey

I remember on at&t s8 I keep getting spam to setup direct TV.

Seriously Samsung you got the clout. Force networks to not carrier bloat.

mAcOdIn

So my Nexus 6p is finally biting the dust too. Looks like I'm going to have to pony up for a new phone.

Both Nexus phones I've had are dead so I generally want to stay away from brands who've made crap die on me(LG and Hawaui), I have had good luck with HTC and Sony, I still have a working HTC One and Sony Xperia Z3 so I was thinking of getting a HTC U11 or perhaps a Sony if they have a comparable phone but was looking for suggestions. At this point I really just want reliability from my phone and Google's promise of timely updates means jack shit to me if their phones continue to die on me anyways.

what's wrong with the curve on the Note8?

JMizzlin

I backed up all my stuff and factory reset my Pixel XL to fix it's Oreo battery life.
Everything is coming back perfectly fine, EXCEPT Google Photos.
All my photos are viewable on photos.google.com but nothing is showing up on my device. Is there any way to access my photos/download them to my phone? I really like keeping the recent ones handy.

Surprised Photos is being such a hassle as everything else worked perfectly.

I backed up all my stuff and factory reset my Pixel XL to fix it's Oreo battery life.
Everything is coming back perfectly fine, EXCEPT Google Photos.
All my photos are viewable on photos.google.com but nothing is showing up on my device. Is there any way to access my photos/download them to my phone? I really like keeping the recent ones handy.

Surprised Photos is being such a hassle as everything else worked perfectly.
there should be a option to always have a copy on your phone

Ty4on

what's wrong with the curve on the Note8?

Color shift
samsung-galaxy-note-8-hidden-features-011.jpg

butiheardamoledhadperfectviewingangles

I can't report myself as I don't own one, but I've heard some reports that slide in from the side gestures are hard to execute or flat out don't work because of the aggressive palm rejection required.

this_guy

LG V30 to me is the best piece of hardware this year. High quality dac, great camera(s), wireless charging, waterproof, and pretty durable in drop tests.

And since it's LG they should drop in value pretty quick.

Top Bottom