• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

LG V30 to me is the best piece of hardware this year. High quality dac, great camera(s), wireless charging, waterproof, and pretty durable in drop tests.

And since it's LG they should drop in value pretty quick.
I want to see how the new T-Mobile cell band is with the V30.

I don't have problems with TMO in my area, but better reception in buildings or in the city would be very nice.

Color shift
samsung-galaxy-note-8-hidden-features-011.jpg

butiheardamoledhadperfectviewingangles
not perfect, just really awesome.

I can't report myself as I don't own one, but I've heard some reports that slide in from the side gestures are hard to execute or flat out don't work because of the aggressive palm rejection required.
nope.

The color tone consistency on the Infinity Display OLEDs is pretty awful.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-red-pink-screen-problem-766058/

Some are pink, some are green, and of course the worst is when the top or bottom is pink and the other half is green. The S8 has/had a problem where only the top and bottom were pink too, or just in the corners. I remember having this problem with my old Galaxy Nexus and it seems to be related to curvature of the screens because the screen on Galaxy Nexus was slightly curved too.

I've never actually had an OLED that was perfect across my Galaxy Nexus, Note II, and Note 4. Usually the defects aren't really a big deal and a part of this technology but the curved screens on S8/S8+/Note8 are pretty bad compared to the previous flat generations.

kaiyo

The color tone consistency on the Infinity Display OLEDs is pretty awful.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-red-pink-screen-problem-766058/

Some are pink, some are green, and of course the worst is when the top or bottom is pink and the other half is green. The S8 has/had a problem where only the top and bottom were pink too, or just in the corners. I remember having this problem with my old Galaxy Nexus and it seems to be related to curvature of the screens because the screen on Galaxy Nexus was slightly curved too.

I've never actually had an OLED that was perfect across my Galaxy Nexus, Note II, and Note 4. Usually the defects aren't really a big deal and a part of this technology but the curved screens on S8/S8+/Note8 are pretty bad compared to the previous flat generations.

I don't think the Galaxy Nexus screen was curved, only the glass was curved.

Noema

I backed up all my stuff and factory reset my Pixel XL to fix it's Oreo battery life.
Everything is coming back perfectly fine, EXCEPT Google Photos.
All my photos are viewable on photos.google.com but nothing is showing up on my device. Is there any way to access my photos/download them to my phone? I really like keeping the recent ones handy.

Surprised Photos is being such a hassle as everything else worked perfectly.

You mean the photos are not viewable on the Google Photos app? It make take a while to populate the thumbnails after a factory restore, specially if you have a ton of photos.

mAcOdIn

If anyone's interested HTC has a deal on their site up that takes a hundred bucks off the U11. I bit, can't wait weeks for a new phone since my Nexus 6p's near useless.

I'll let anyone know if it sucks.

That said, the V30 does look nice, if my phone wasn't rapidly deteriorating their 2 year warranty alone would be close to hooking me.

I tried out a Nexus 6P again and it's sad how much better this screen is than the oneplus 5 screen. Nexus 6P was a great phone if you got a 2nd gen one without bootloop issues.

Google doesn't stop updating Play Services, do they?

How are you expecting them to support every janky fork out there?

That's a good point about the Play Services. Perhaps a core part of the OS shouldn't be able to be forked then, so that it remains identical across devices. What's Google's solution in the future?

I'm just a bit miffed about this issue, because at this point it's a bit ridiculous that Google is the only Android manufacturer who reliably updates their hardware every single month. With so many vulnerabilities out there (and perhaps more that have yet to be documented), it's absolutely irresponsible to leave hardware out in the wild unpatched for a month or two during the supposed "support cycle" or whatever. And of course it's even worse on non-flagship devices.

Not technically. But they need to pay a 3rd party to get their device certified to meet the bar set by Google to allow them to get the free Google Mobile Services license. At least that was my understanding.

Thanks for the clarification. I never seem to remember how it works with the licenses in this model.

Ryne

Love my mate 9, definitely going mate 10 pro.

Hope they have a white, I have the ceramic white mate 9, but the blue also works for me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's a good point about the Play Services. Perhaps a core part of the OS shouldn't be able to be forked then, so that it remains identical across devices. What's Google's solution in the future?

I'm just a bit miffed about this issue, because at this point it's a bit ridiculous that Google is the only Android manufacturer who reliably updates their hardware every single month. With so many vulnerabilities out there (and perhaps more that have yet to be documented), it's absolutely irresponsible to leave hardware out in the wild unpatched for a month or two during the supposed "support cycle" or whatever. And of course it's even worse on non-flagship devices.

I mean Samsung has been pushing out security updates and such rather reliably these days on the S7 and S8 models.

reKon

Banned
This is my unlocked Exynos Galaxy S7, which has been released last year.

It's October if you haven't noticed it yet.

Yeah, Samsung is really good at this. Props to them.

They were kind of slow to be honest at first, but then something happened and these updates have been more frequent. Phone is still a beast.

I'm assuming that this means a September patch is coming very soon?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They were kind of slow to be honest at first, but then something happened and these updates have been more frequent. Phone is still a beast.

It's out on some devices already.

That's not too bad. My one plus 5 is on July :)

No, that's pretty bad. Your situation is just worse. At least OP didn't ask for 700€, when they started selling the phone. Not that price should factor into this at all.

I only noticed that the updates were rolled out less frequently. At the end of July I was still sitting on the May security update, now it's October and I'm still on the August update. I suppose it could be rolled out quicker, if Samsung didn't put their own stuff into those updates, but it's cheaper to put as much stuff into one update.

I dont understand why security updates is such a big deal.

Because they patch security exploits. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Here is a completely unrelated link, if the subject bores you:
https://www.armis.com/blueborne/

Eh usually they aren't I mean even th major ones I can't see many people having them used against them that's why I'm so meh about them too. This blueborne one is probably the only one I've manly wanted fixed.

It's not about the updates being a big deal, it's about conditioning manufacturers to make them a higher priority. And of course, it's not just Android that's affected. The IoT market is even worse about this. That doesn't mean the bar can't be set higher than it is right now.

Huh must have missed this before but apparently kirin 970 gonna have 5.5 billion transistors lol.

Cpu never been an issue from them. Just need more efficient gpu.

My mate 9 battery life wasn't amazing if I gamed a bunch. Got toasty too. A bit disappointing.

Yeah, my P10 always lasted longer than the Mate 9 curiously.

Jeffrey

Surprisingly thick bezels. I assume it's a physics thing if you want good front speakers. Definitely hurts the sexyness a bit. Just feels like a slightly less bezel nexus 6p,which isn't a bad thing I guess.

Hope there is software stuff for 1 hand mode. Android is a pain 1 hand with these phablets. One thing that oneplus is missing still.

Just going off the renders here but the Nexus 6P may have smaller side bezels, wtf Google? Not much difference in screen/body ratio with Nexus 6P.

That is a major disappointment for me.

This is a joke post, right? RIGHT?

What part of it do you think is a joke? We've been spoiled by Samsung and Xiaomi with such small bezels that anything not on par is a disappointment for me. A signature 2017 (2018) phone from the likes of Google should be bleeding edge, not something that looks like it came out in 2015.

Again, that's if the renders are true 1:1.

What part of it do you think is a joke? We've been spoiled by Samsung and Xiaomi with such small bezels that anything not on par is a disappointment for me. A signature 2017 (2018) phone from the likes of Google should be bleeding edge, not something that looks like it came out in 2015.

Again, that's if the renders are true 1:1.
Lol.

Jeffrey

These days I'm ready for more side bezels lol. Easier to slap a fitted tempered glass protector on.

2s glass ruined everything.

I don't care if you gorilla glass 5 or 10. Shit gonna get micro scratches after a week in an empty pocket somehow.

Top Bottom