• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

vdlow

So I'm currently using Signal for my SMS and MMS purposes, however I've noticed since installing it has gotten consistently worse as the months pass. I don't know if it is entirely the program itself or my telecom to blame (Optus in Australia), what I do know is it is pissing me off. It'll double send or receive, refuse to send MMS at times or delay sending for up to a few hours to the recipient.

Any recommendations on a good text app? Or just push everything to Messenger and deal with that considering my use of it already when talking to friends.

Pulse is the one I use, but I rarely send sms so I can't say if it's good enough for a heavy user. It's free so worth a try at least.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger

Husker86

S8+ coming. Replaced the screen on my Pixel XL and it kinda comes up in one corner...that has been bugging me so I've been itching for another phone.

Samsung had $100 off + $200 trade in for any smartphone. I have so many laying around so I figured this was as good of a chance as any to get some credit.

Total cost $524.

Laekon

S8+ coming. Replaced the screen on my Pixel XL and it kinda comes up in one corner...that has been bugging me so I've been itching for another phone.

Samsung had $100 off + $200 trade in for any smartphone. I have so many laying around so I figured this was as good of a chance as any to get some credit.

Total cost $524.

I've been thinking of this deal. I have a Nexus 5 floating around and keep holding off replacing my 5X as no phone $400 or less has yet to have a better camera.

rc213

Total cost $524.

How do you get the extra $100 off?

reKon

Banned
I'm such a fucking idiot... Chrome cast audio has been the solution to what I've been wanting to set up the entire time, but I guess I didn't fully understand how it connected to everything. I'll probably grab a couple of these next time they're on sale again. My promedia 2.1 and the Bluetooth speakers I have coming in will be getting massive upgrades after they are linked up with the Chromecast.

Like holy shit - if people actually understood how useful these are, Sonos would be fucked because I guarantee that people don't fully utilize the advantages that the Sonos set up has. Multiroom audio and controlling music through WiFi on my Bluetooth bedroom speaker is going to be awesome.

If you all didn't talk about which phone you're going to get next all the time, maybe I would have learn how good of a product this is. Yall suck.

OP5 leaked prices?

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_india_pricing_leaks-news-25681.php

The OnePlus 5 India pricing has leaked via a forum post on Weibo. According to the post, the 64GB model with 6GB RAM will be priced at INR 32,999 ($512) and the 128GB model with 8GB RAM will be priced at INR 37,999 ($589).The USD prices are, of course, for reference and the actual US pricing will be different, with $499 and $599 being the likely US equivalent.

this_guy

So I'm currently using Signal for my SMS and MMS purposes, however I've noticed since installing it has gotten consistently worse as the months pass. I don't know if it is entirely the program itself or my telecom to blame (Optus in Australia), what I do know is it is pissing me off. It'll double send or receive, refuse to send MMS at times or delay sending for up to a few hours to the recipient.

Any recommendations on a good text app? Or just push everything to Messenger and deal with that considering my use of it already when talking to friends.

Textra is always solid for me. I like Google's Messenger but there will be times when mms gives me issues, but Textra always works.

Will be the highest dxO rated camera ever though.

Fixed.

In OP's defence, flagship prices have increased since the OP1 days. I guess it was natural their pricing would follow suit.

However, other manufacturers are bringing things to the table like waterproofing, hifi dac, curved screens, minimal bezels etc.... If OP think they can get away with selling 2017 specs in a 2015 body for £499/$499 they might be in for a shock. (especially given S8 and G6s of the world are already seeing reduction in their pricing)

In OP's defence, flagship prices have increased since the OP1 days. I guess it was natural their pricing would follow suit.

However, other manufacturers are bringing things to the table like waterproofing, hifi dac, curved screens, minimal bezels etc.... If OP think they can get away with selling 2017 specs in a 2015 body for £499/$499 they might be in for a shock. (especially given S8 and G6s of the world are already seeing reduction in their pricing)

Flagships might launch at a higher price point compared to their predecessors, but no one but Apple can hold those prices in retail over a longer period of time.

The Galaxy S8 launched for €100 more than the S7 last year (€799 instead of €699) and you can already get it for under €650, only a couple of months after launch. The LG G6 dropped even quicker, of course, from €769 to €499.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Basically what we've been saying. Even beyond that the screen might a no go anyway.

Failing to deliver on the camera will mean that the OnePlus 5 can't be a truly viable alternative to those premium phones. That’s been fine in the past: aggressive pricing allowed OnePlus to get by with an average camera. But it won’t work forever, especially as it moves into higher-priced segments.

Perhaps even worse, if OnePlus’ fanbase isn’t impressed with the OnePlus 5’s new camera, they could look elsewhere for their next phone, by either paying a little more for a mainstream premium phone or paying a little less and getting most of the same experience from a midrange device.

Jeffrey

The end result is, well, familiar looking. The OnePlus 5 has its rear camera system in the same spot as the iPhone 7 Plus, but Liu contends this was an inevitability. “It’s a little difficult to make two cameras, two holes in the back not look ugly,” he says.

Or not make the phone so thin? Mate 9 looks nice with the cameras on the center.

The end result is, well, familiar looking. The OnePlus 5 has its rear camera system in the same spot as the iPhone 7 Plus, but Liu contends this was an inevitability. “It’s a little difficult to make two cameras, two holes in the back not look ugly,” he says.

Or not make the phone so thin? Mate 9 looks nice with the cameras on the center.

What a dumb excuse. They could put it in the same position without it looking 1:1.

wilflare

really hope the Pixel 2 delivers.
6P probably needs to be replaced by the end of this year... the battery life is ._.

still love the 6P camera though

really hope the Pixel 2 delivers.
6P probably needs to be replaced by the end of this year... the battery life is ._.

still love the 6P camera though

The 6P camera is still pretty damn good. But yeah, the battery is spotty at best. I still have it where it will turn off at 25%. I really, really hope the new Pixel and possibly the new Nexus delivers.

LeleSocho

Banned
1+ didn't even need dual sensor... just a good single sensor and you are already in the upper echelon.
They complicated their life needlessly while they could have spent resources in either making the phone with minimal bezel (which is the hot stuff for everyone but me) or a design that wasn't so obviously a copy of the iPhone and the Oppo.

longdi

Banned
People hate on Apple but dang they are the first to introduce a 120hz screen, and without much fanfare or crazy markup.

It makes everything felt much snappier.

I bet a midrange SoC + 120hz screen > topend SoC + 60hz, in terms of UI fluidity.

NeOak

People hate on Apple but dang they are the first to introduce a 120hz screen, and without much fanfare or crazy markup.

I bet a midrange SoC + 120hz screen > topend SoC + 60hz, in terms of UI fluidity.

They aren't the first.

dseifert_170616_1783_0003.jpg

The Nexus look alike speaks to me.

Jeffrey

Well there wasn't many years ago when iPad regular size started at $500 lol. Now it's $650!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You need a lot of power to constantly push 120hz.

I mean Apple is using their most powerful mobile chip ever to do this.

Jeffrey

Sounds like OnePlus 5 will be $479. At that price I better see 1440p.

As long as 8gb is less than $600 I'll... Bite maybe.

Hope there are other upgrades besides the camera though. Seems like all their marketing is on that, but op3t still felt cheap on some aspects like the Vibration motor, weak speaker, the screen. I also got worse cellular signal compare to flagships.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The 2 posters above me will be disappointed, I gather.

1440p is my deciding factor between the 1+5 and the red U11. Guess we'll see

Hope there are other upgrades besides the camera though. Seems like all their marketing is on that, but op3t still felt cheap on some aspects like the Vibration motor, weak speaker, the screen. I also got worse cellular signal compare to flagships.

I thought the speaker was actually pretty good compared to other phones like the s8. The screen is supposed to be able to reproduce more of the color space so we will see, but I'm out if it's 1080 pentile.

The 3T has the most limp dick vibration motors I've ever used. It sucks in hand and if it's in your pocket, you won't feel it. If they have the audacity to keep it as is in the 5...

I thought the speaker was actually pretty good compared to other phones like the s8. The screen is supposed to be able to reproduce more of the color space so we will see, but I'm out if it's 1080 pentile.
Speakers are trash. I actively avoid using the phone without headphones.

Jeffrey

The 3T has the most limp dick vibration motors I've ever used. It sucks in hand and if it's in your pocket, you won't feel it. If they have the audacity to keep it as is in the 5...

Vibration motor was so bad that I started using a smart watch again lol.

The Speakers were loud but not good quality wise.

The speakers aren't good, but still better than Samsung. Samsung sounds really tinny and muffled probably due to water resistance. Samsung's vibration will vibrate your leg off though. OnePlus needs to go back to dual speakers like on the OnePlus one.

Jeffrey

From the interview seems like they aren't skimping on the battery. Hopefully as big or bigger than op5

Also looking at these closer shots, the camera looks better than iPhone 7 plus in which the aluminum frame mutates into the camera bump, like a wart. The phone looks fine.

Top Bottom