• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

reKon

Banned
picked up a iPad Pro and keyboard. its a fun device. Ridiculously smooth due to the display. Forgot about all the limitations on iOS though, in terms of apps linking to other apps, like you can't just share something to Tweetbot.

Probably will return it before 14 days. Hmmmm. Not sure I want a iPhone 8 now lol.

It's easy to switch from iOS to android, a bit harder the other way around.

I'm going to hit up the Apple store today maybe and try this out.

The default app thing is still infuriating to me. If I do end up buying this down the road, I'm going to be definitely going to be putting up with a lot of iOS bullshit. The thing that bothers me is that there are so many simple things they could do to catch up Android. Make sharing with third party apps more expansive. Give developers the opportunity to do this based w/e guidelines you have.

Also, if I buy this I'm for sure getting that new Logitech keyboard. That's a no brainer over the worse official Apple one.

Jeffrey

I'm going to hit up the Apple store today maybe and try this out.

The default app thing is still infuriating to me. If I do end up buying this down the road, I'm going to be definitely going to be putting up with a lot of iOS bullshit. The thing that bothers me is that there are so many simple things they could do to catch up Android. Make sharing with third party apps more expansive. Give developers the opportunity to do this based w/e guidelines you have.

Also, if I buy this I'm for sure getting that new Logitech keyboard. That's a no brainer over the worse official Apple one.

I tried that one too. It works, even has a pseudo surface hinge. But it's clunky and heavy and the plastic is cheap.

Turning your iPad into a budget feeling surface... Whats the point lol.

Officially keyboard is really good for what it is, the issue is ios. Not every app has full keyboard support and the app switcher with cmd tab is really limited for some reason...

Makes me just want a windows 10 tablet that offers the battery and standby time as an iPad.

Maybe I'll check out a chrome book with play store support?

everyone getting their FREE* Amazon Dash Wand with Alexa tonight?

I hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it, but I think I will!

I've been very happy with Amazon's Echo/Alexa stuff, especially with how well the voice recognition works compared to my Xbox One's shitty Kinect. I have to shout to get the Kinect to hear anything, but my Echo picks up a normal volume voice from further away in the room. Pairing it with some Smart plugs has been pretty cool too.

I hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it, but I think I will!

I've been very happy with Amazon's Echo/Alexa stuff, especially with how well the voice recognition works compared to my Xbox One's shitty Kinect. I have to shout to get the Kinect to hear anything, but my Echo picks up a normal volume voice from further away in the room. Pairing it with some Smart plugs has been pretty cool too.

i dunno why anyone wouldn't... it pays for itself!

Jeffrey

The white looks weird. Pretty sure pics on the site has black bezels?

Could be a different phone? Are there clones from oppo yet lol.

reKon

Banned
I tried that one too. It works, even has a pseudo surface hinge. But it's clunky and heavy and the plastic is cheap.

Officially keyboard is really good for what it is, the issue is ios. Not every app has full keyboard support and the app switcher with cmd tab is really limited for some reason...

Makes me just want a windows 10 tablet that offers the battery and standby time as an iPad.

Stop killing my buzz

Also, the Tab Pro S would have been that tablet if Microsoft wasn't fucking stupid about their idle/stand by time.

It really is an excellent device though, I think you would like it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Depends on use case. I'd be more likely to use something for apps and media like 80% and then use the keyboard laptop replacement like 20%.

So iPad feels better for this. Surface feels better if you are 80% laptop and then like 20% normal tablet shit which is the inverse of my use case.

Jeffrey

Depends on use case. I'd be more likely to use something for apps and media like 80% and then use the keyboard laptop replacement like 20%.

So iPad feels better for this. Surface feels better if you are 80% laptop and then like 20% normal tablet shit which is the inverse of my use case.
True. Was talking about the keyboard shell thing haha. IPad is the best tablet around. The question is if you need one these days when phones are huge.

Vanillalite

True. Was talking about the keyboard shell thing haha. IPad is the best tablet around. The question is if you need one these days when phones are huge.

I'd use the keyboard shell for like a laptop replacement like 20% of my iPad use.

Honestly my home non work laptop usage these days is almost 0 anyways. My home document creation is minimal, and apps work for bills/banking/other monthly shit.

Kids need office way more than I do for school work.

Jeffrey

I'd use the keyboard shell for like a laptop replacement like 20% of my iPad use.

Honestly my home non work laptop usage these days is almost 0 anyways. My home document creation is minimal, and apps work for bills/banking/other monthly shit.

Kids need office way more than I do for school work.

Yep. It's frustrating actually. So many cool laptops these days but I have no need!

I have my gaming desktop on my TV for media and bills and other stuff.

I'm struggling to find a work flow for the iPad haha. Main reason why I sold my 2015 iPad pro earlier this year!

You actually can have too many devices!

reKon

Banned
I have my HTPC hooked to my 4K TV with the Logitech KB 830 illuminated keyboard. That set up it pretty legit. I also have the option of hooking up my steam link or Tab Pro S directly to my monitor. Steam streaming works very well because of my network set up. Between all of my comfy couch setup, my work laptop, and phone, my tablet rarely gets use at home. It's primarily for when I travel out of state. But things I use it for, I'd like it to be very good at that. The Tab Pro S is lacking in idle drain performance, but excels in all the other things including performance.

Jeffrey

Even when I travel I find more use out of my surface pro 3. Doesn't weigh that much more than an ipad,and generally easier to do stuff on. Also easier to just load up a USB HDD full of movies than try to do the same on an iPad, is it easier on an android tablet? Isn't there micro USB to USB female cables?

reKon

Banned
Even when I travel I find more use out of my surface pro 3. Doesn't weigh that much more than an ipad,and generally easier to do stuff on. Also easier to just load up a USB HDD full of movies than try to do the same on an iPad, is it easier on an android tablet? Isn't there micro USB to USB female cables?

There's USB on the go cables, which are awesome. There's been many times where I just grabbed everything and left.

Vanillalite

I just stream everything. Xfinity allows for offline saving if need be. Ditto for Netflix now.

Plus 99% of the time I got WiFi. I'm the one driving like I did to the beach where I'm at so no need for car use by me.

Amazon Prime + Netflix + Starz + HBO Go + Xfinity + WatchESPN + Play Store means I'm good for most media.

Jeffrey

shit. just realized i'll be out of the country when jesus phone is released.

might be arguably easier to order from china though. beats waiting up at 3am est in the past

Vanillalite

shit. just realized i'll be out of the country when jesus phone is released.

might be arguably easier to order from china though. beats waiting up at 3am est in the past

You gonna get Jesus phone and then hate it cause iOS11 doesn't fix anything you want. Lol

reKon

Banned
I just stream everything. Xfinity allows for offline saving if need be. Ditto for Netflix now.

Plus 99% of the time I got WiFi. I'm the one driving like I did to the beach where I'm at so no need for car use by me.

Amazon Prime + Netflix + Starz + HBO Go + Xfinity + WatchESPN + Play Store means I'm good for most media.

This is where the Galaxy series is boss media consumption wise. AMOLED screen + SD card expansion = incredible about of photo, music, and offline video storage. With a 256gb iPad though, none of that would matter.

Anyways, played the iPad 10.5 today. Very fast and fluid of course. Movement from finger screen really does feel 1 to 1. The keyboard wasn't too bad either and even those I was satsified with the multitasjing, everything is going to get much better on iOS 11.

I also played with the Galaxy Book 10.6 and Galaxy Tab S3 as well. My only issue is with the Galaxy Book is the awkward size when holding it portrait. Otherwise, I wish this was the first version of this type of tablet that Samsung made because I prefer the size and keyboard to the on my Tab Pro S.

The Tab S3 is still a great device. It's just that the iPad has the exact size I'm looking for and it's definitely superior. If they did a 10.5 version, I would probably cop that. Or Google just do a Pixel C2. Or I could just get that Asus 2 in 1 Chromebook and deal with the worse screen...

So many choices!

Jeffrey

You gonna get Jesus phone and then hate it cause iOS11 doesn't fix anything you want. Lol

feel like i can get used to it... hmmm

guess it depends on what additional features iphone 8 adds.

I feel like taller screens really work well for splitscreen. Can easily have a video running while browsing the web in a decent window.

0kQKTP9.png

love how samsung hides the top bar unlike stock nougat implementation. Seriously samsung adds so much nice stuff to stock android. If only they cared about performance, less aggressive memory management and minimize carrier bloat, then shit would be 'perfect' imo.

NeOak

Gosh damn it.

Like at this rate all of you fuckers in chat gonna be banned from GAF and begging me to post hot takes for you.

I know you are reading this shit too. FFS

You're making OT9, right?

Also, I swear to God: I thought your avatar was a Charizard all this time. Shieeeet. Or did you change it?

went out on a whimper of a thread because we didn't have the right (wrong) reaction in here... smh,.

He tried to relive his headphone jack thread excitement with a shitty bait thread.

RIP $1 shipped.

Saiyan-Rox

yep, i think his ban message said something along the lines of "you're not welcome here anymore"

So 2 people down? What did AJ do now?

I didn't even know a chat was still going since the hangouts one vanished then again I hardly ever posted in it...I'll admit I forgot about it for a while.

Vanillalite

You're making OT9, right?

Also, I swear to God: I thought your avatar was a Charizard all this time. Shieeeet. Or did you change it?

I'm gonna be the only one left to make it at this rate.

Also nope been this avatar for like idk over a year now. People did a bunch of sports team logos as other pop culture things. I chose this since it's one of my home teams. :p

Quixzlizx

PSY・S;241049092 said:
Holy shit, the fabled Marshmallow update for Blu Life One X (2016) is here.

Only 15 months late!

Oh damn, I forgot that Marshmallow has encryption. It's going to totally tank performance, isn't it. Is the encryption mandatory?

Ran rp

Only 15 months late!

Oh damn, I forgot that Marshmallow has encryption. It's going to totally tank performance, isn't it. Is the encryption mandatory?

I've been using it all day and haven't had any performance issues. LOX is pretty much a stock device though, so maybe that's why. And yeah, encryption is mandatory.

A 2015 update.....in 2017.

I completely gave up on getting it but now it's here and I have actual control over permissions and improved battery life.

Top Bottom