• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I had my Nexus 6P be at 70% and I started up a game, that isn't that intensive, and got to the first level and then it died immediately from there. Holy fuck...

mackattk

How do they verify that you were a Note 7 owner?

Either through previous interaction with samsung on the note 7 through their webpage, or by uploading proof of purchase that you bought a Note 7 before.

I did the proof of purchase route, by uploading a receipt, and got confirmation back within 2 hours.

With tax, Note 8 should be around $550, or $625 with the iPhone 5s investment.

bigkrev

Hey guys,

I'm going to be updating my phone in the next few weeks, and unless Apple decides to return the headphone jack to the next iPhone, i'm leaning heavily towards switching to a Galaxy S8. I've used android in the past (as recently as 2013 or so), but I had 2 app related questions.

1.) I used to use Pocket Casts on android, but it didn't have support for password protected RSS feeds for sites that have their feed locked behind a subscription. I've been using Downcast on iOS, which, when you add a RSS feed, it simply just asks you to type in your Username and Password, and handles everything else. Is there a Podcast app on Android now that can handle this?

2.) I use Tweetbot on my iPad/Iphone, because the interface is simple/functional, and it does not have promoted tweets/twitter ads/"your friends liked", ect. Also, whenever I load it up, it loads every tweet since I last opened the app, so if I go to bed and check when I wake up, I can start right from where I stopped last night and not miss anything. I used to use Falcon Pro on Android, which I didn't like as much as Tweetbot, but was considered the "best" Twitter app around. Is there anything as good as Tweetbot on Android now? The removal of Ads/promoted stuff is the top priority, and I don't mind paying $$$ for an app

How do they verify that you were a Note 7 owner?
they have a list.

Check your eligibility below.

Please enter the email you used to register or return your Galaxy Note7. You can also use the email you used to claim one of our national promotions.
i have 4 email addresses that work because i used 4 different email addresses to redeem 4 different offers that were available during the pre-launch and pre-second-recall periods across 2 devices and replacements.

Jeffrey

Hey guys,

I'm going to be updating my phone in the next few weeks, and unless Apple decides to return the headphone jack to the next iPhone, i'm leaning heavily towards switching to a Galaxy S8. I've used android in the past (as recently as 2013 or so), but I had 2 app related questions.

1.) I used to use Pocket Casts on android, but it didn't have support for password protected RSS feeds for sites that have their feed locked behind a subscription. I've been using Downcast on iOS, which, when you add a RSS feed, it simply just asks you to type in your Username and Password, and handles everything else. Is there a Podcast app on Android now that can handle this?

2.) I use Tweetbot on my iPad/Iphone, because the interface is simple/functional, and it does not have promoted tweets/twitter ads/"your friends liked", ect. Also, whenever I load it up, it loads every tweet since I last opened the app, so if I go to bed and check when I wake up, I can start right from where I stopped last night and not miss anything. I used to use Falcon Pro on Android, which I didn't like as much as Tweetbot, but was considered the "best" Twitter app around. Is there anything as good as Tweetbot on Android now? The removal of Ads/promoted stuff is the top priority, and I don't mind paying $$$ for an app

I've gotten stuff like giantbomb premium podcasts to work on pocket cast.

Flamingo is a solid paid twitter app.

DrFurbs

For those with a 6p in this thread. I changed my battery last week. I'm getting 19 hours every day with medium use. I have to say ive always hated this phone. The hype was just that.

Still, it can last will over a day with light use.

For those with a 6p in this thread. I changed my battery last week. I'm getting 19 hours every day with medium use. I have to say ive always hated this phone. The hype was just that.

Yeah the SD810 is straight garbage. I've had my phone get so hot while only running Allo that it becomes impossible to type anything because the whole system UI is lagging. I need to change my battery as well, hoping to at least get another year out of this piece of shit before upgrading.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Yeah the SD810 is straight garbage. I've had my phone get so hot while only running Allo that it becomes impossible to type anything because the whole system UI is lagging. I need to change my battery as well, hoping to at least get another year out of this piece of shit before upgrading.
I'm probably one of the person in the world who never had a major issue with the 6P :/

A year? Good luck.

Michael Fisher posted his Essential Phone review in case anybody is interested. The TLDR for those not interested in watching is he
really liked the build quality, but said the camera is horrible and while it has gotten an update already and will likely get more he hasn't seen a phone camera get significantly better with software updates. He also questioned who will buy the phone for $700 without waterproofing or a headphone jack and briefly touched on disappointing customer service when he was trying to figure out when his phone would ship out. (Which Reddit seems to be complaining about as well).

Jeffrey

is waterproofing such a big deal? I've never dropped my phone in water before. Dropped my gameboy into the toilet but it still worked fine lol.

If im kayaking or at the beach, I just use something like this:

61Pt4gaHt2L._SL1324_.jpg

you dont want sand to get near the phone anyways.

waterproofing isn't a big deal.

it's just something that flagships do now.

no 3.5mm headphone jack is a fucking joke though.

and i say that as a person with several pairs of BT headphones.

Jeffrey

Yeah the problem with Bluetooth is I have no clue about battery life remaining for the headphones. Only ones with specific apps give battery life like Bose or Plantronics.

I saw my first ever instance of OLED burn-in the other day on a Verizon store's Pixel display unit.
It was so bad (probably 50% of the screen has extremely visible burn-in) that I wondered why they even bothered keeping the unit on the floor.

I think I've only ever gotten slight burn-in with one phone, and old Samsung Infuse. I had a launcher that made it look like a Windows Phone and on certain screens you could make out where the tiles had been, but it wasn't a dealbreaker at all.

Also got to hold the crazy skinny Moto phone (one of the ones that's so skinny it can't even fit a headphone jack, and yeah, phones really don't need to be that skinny. Makes it uncomfortable to hold, and the smaller batteries they require and no headphone jack is too much of a downgrade just for a few less mm. Maybe once phones can be skinny enough and have durable enough displays that you can fold them in half I can see that being necessary.

Jeffrey

Could get a note 8 for roughly $600, but nah still not worth it.
No flagship is worth it these days when $200 phones can give you a solid smooth experience.

On a side note, even with the price hike, for some reason oneplus 5 is basically the only player in the scene of affordable flagships in the US this year.

No honor 9 or v8. No axon. No leeco.

The Cowboy

waterproofing isn't a big deal.

it's just something that flagships do now.

I don't agree, i find it a very big deal and it changed how i use my mobile.

Before i got my 1st waterproof phone (an S7) i never used my phone outside when it was pouring down (which is a lot in Manchester/UK :D), now i don't care at all. I've used my phone without one of those weird baggy things in the bath, whilst chilling in the sea/pool, whilst its absolutely pouring down outside (this is the main one) etc and i can't imagine going back to a phone that isn't waterproof - its by far one of the best quality of life additions in recent years on mobiles (considering how often we use them near water/rain).

Frankly, it should now be a standard feature on mobiles (especially high end ones).

Yeah the problem with Bluetooth is I have no clue about battery life remaining for the headphones. Only ones with specific apps give battery life like Bose or Plantronics.

Jaybirds yell at you about the percentage remaining when you turn them on, in addition to the app you can download.

Never been into phones much, but I need to buy one. I'm down to 3-ish models.

LG G6 ~450 USD
Sony Xperia XZ ~400 USD
Sony Xperia XZs ~500 USD.

How long does LG support their phones? Seems like Sony provides updates for 2 years so that's at least about a year if I buy the XZ.

Does the additional 1GB (3->4GB) matter that much? Any reason I should go with XZs or G6?

Workplace will be reimbursing me about 200 USD.

They're asian models (HK/China; dual sim) so Sony has fingerprint scanner and the G6 one is 64GB and apparently not gimped in audio.

Edit: Leaning towards G6. Going to buy today. Can't wait for IFA 2017 or whenever these companies will release their phone in this shitty country.

Jeffrey

Never been into phones much, but I need to buy one. I'm down to 3-ish models.

LG G6 ~450 USD
Sony Xperia XZ ~400 USD
Sony Xperia XZs ~500 USD.

How long does LG support their phones? Seems like Sony provides updates for 2 years so that's at least about a year if I buy the XZ.

Does the additional 1GB (3->4GB) matter that much? Any reason I should go with XZs or G6?

Workplace will be reimbursing me about 200 USD.

They're asian models (HK/China; dual sim) so Sony has fingerprint scanner and the G6 one is 64GB and apparently not gimped in audio.

Edit: Leaning towards G6. Going to buy today. Can't wait for IFA 2017 or whenever these companies will release their phone in this shitty country.

Get a g6. Don't expect support though. Sony is a bit better at that.

No flagship is worth it these days when $200 phones can give you a solid smooth experience.

On a side note, even with the price hike, for some reason oneplus 5 is basically the only player in the scene of affordable flagships in the US this year.

No honor 9 or v8. No axon. No leeco.

True. I think $500 is approaching the limit of what I'm willing to spend on a phone now. I know Pixel XL will be atleast $750 so I probably won't buy that either lol. There just isn't anything there to justify the increased cost. $1000 for the note 8 is a major fuck up though. Pretty much every video has said get a s8+ instead. My OnePlus One is still running solid. It's getting Oreo soon.

After a bit over a week with my U11, here's my quick review:

Positive:
- Great camera
- Very fast, everything feels snappy
- Comes with great headphones
- HTC just announced Oreo will come to the U11 in Q4, I hope that's true

Neutral:
- Battery life

Negative:
- no OLED screen
- it's very very slippery

longdi

Banned
Anyone saw this, wow Apple design really has gone to shit.
Im not a fan of Samsung language but at least they got rid of their ugly logo.

37999-e3457b6f.jpg

Jeffrey

would apple keep the ugly white border for the white back ones?

Even samsung realized that no bezel screens kinda have to have black bezels to help with the look

Top Bottom