• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

can't trade it in directly, but Samsung USA refunding full retail value ($849.99) plus local taxes plus $25 loyalty credit for Note 7 units.

get an 8 and make a profit? WAT

reKon

Banned
Whew came close to buying one of those $500 Note 8's today, but then remembered how much I don't like Samsung phones and curved displays and didn't pull the trigger. I'm on T-Mobile so waiting on a phone with 600mhz support coming later this year anyway. I need that Pixel XL 2.

The curve isn't as bad on Note phones.

the missing band 71 on T-Mobile is not a good look though.
Doesn't seem like many phones will have it for quite a while, sadly.
Are the upcoming iPhones even rumored to support it?
This is the main thing. V30 and Pixel XL 2 will most likely support it.
Those seem like solid options, at least coming soonish. I'm curious when Motorola will be coming out with that support, they've becoming one of my favorite choice for when I get a new phone soon since they have a few options that offer really great battery.

Well ended up ordering another OnePlus 5. Dropped my phone on concrete and student discount was too good to pass up. Will use that until Pixel XL 2 or OnePlus 5T comes out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My S8+ will be here tomorrow. Wooho.

Any tips?

Make sure to update to the latest available firmware as it fixes some small issues, and it gives you some UI tweaks like the ability hide the software buttons.

Also Samsung Browser is imperically faster than Chrome. So it's worth a look if you don't mind losing Chrome sync.

this_guy

This is the main thing. V30 and Pixel XL 2 will most likely support it.

Doubtful. Band 71 hasn't even been officially certified by the GSM association, so phones can't be FCC approved for band 71 until then. The earliest phones we'll see with band 71 will probably be some cheap Samsung or LG released in December or January.

Make sure to update to the latest available firmware as it fixes some small issues, and it gives you some UI tweaks like the ability hide the software buttons.

Also Samsung Browser is imperically faster than Chrome. So it's worth a look if you don't mind losing Chrome sync.

Can't live without Chrome sync :(

Wish there was an addon/app to do it for other browsers.

Went back to using V20. The DAC is awesome. Only thing I miss is the water resistance from the G6. I'm starting to like bigger phones more and more.

Mindwipe

My Pixel-C received the Oreo OTA today.

Autofil is much less useful than hoped so far, I wish Chrome would fix its support.

Otherwise they seem to have fixed the Pixel-C's brightness issues. Good job too, as the new notification shade will blind you otherwise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any recommendations for something like an activity monitor? My temporary moto g3 is feeling a little sluggish now I've added a bunch of apps and I guess its doing more in the background. Just curious how hard its working

jokkir

Would there even be a point getting the S8+ if I have the S7? I can get it for $200 off but it'll still be expensive. That screen though mmmm

longdi

Banned
Would there even be a point getting the S8+ if I have the S7? I can get it for $200 off but it'll still be expensive. That screen though mmmm

Imo S7e is a better phone than S8+.
The front fp sensor is way too important for me.
It has better battery life and i didnt notice S8+ performing faster. In fact, i felt S7E was a tad faster with lesser bloat.
S7+ is my limit of how long/large a phone can be comfortably held and in my pocket.

reKon

Banned
I decided to factory reset my S7 Edge yesterday just because (performance has been great, except for google music - might have be cache and SD card related?). Before then I hadn't done a factory reset or any cache clearing since I had it from day one. I definitely notice it's a tiny step faster, especially for setting things like opening up the settings when not in memory.

Day 1 for me was 5 hours of SOT with 20% left at the end of the night. Streamed at least 2 hours on bluetooth and watched some youtube video along with browsing. Most of the day I was in the office where the signal can be spotty at times, but it's mostly decent. So I gotta say that 9 months into owning this, I'm still very impressed by the phone and it's probably the best I've ever owned mainly due to the features, hardware design, and camera performance, and battery life. Performance wise, it's smooth enough, but my Xperia Z3 Compact was definitely the faster the device. I'm glad it will be getting Android O too, but it's not I has features that I'm dying to have right now. No reason for me to upgrade, but whenever I do, I think it's going to have to be for a bigger phone because I've decided not to bother getting an iPad Pro 10.5 seeing as I really don't need it. Going to put that money into building my mom a mini desktop using the DeskMini 110 barebones case . Can't be letting my old 256 GB SSD go to waste by not being used.

I'm still eyeing the Pixel XL 2 (despite it not having a head phone jack) and LG V30. Either of those are going to be killer phones for sure. I'm hoping that they're not too wide dimension wise and that the battery isn't disappointing. If I don't jump on either of these, if One Plus decides to go bezel less I can see myself getting that or the S9 if it has a dual camera and better finger print placement. Or who knows - maybe I catch a great deal on the Note 8 and try that series for the first time.

Mindwipe

The S8 is significantly better in operation than the S7E was, IMO.

Samsung really smoothed off a lot of rough edges software wise, and the S8 is MUCH better to hold. Better palm rejection too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
DIg7aLcXoAAdoRy.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/903037052631085060

😍😍😍

Doubtful. Band 71 hasn't even been officially certified by the GSM association, so phones can't be FCC approved for band 71 until then. The earliest phones we'll see with band 71 will probably be some cheap Samsung or LG released in December or January.

We will see. I know LG V20 supported band 66 and afaik T-Mobile hasn't even launched that yet.

T-Mobile doing bogo note 8's starting 9/1. Cue the market flood and price drops. Gonna be less than $500 each soon.

That B&O tramp stamp is bleh. Such a shame cause the phone is gorgeous.

The USA version won't have that. They never license B&O here. Probably too expensive. They usually just tune it in house.

Seems exciting but I'm not sure if I would pick one up. It doesn't seem to be a significant upgrade to my V20. We shall see.

Top Bottom