• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Bingo! Got a Ski-slope Wall.

Cheers fishfish!

I forgot to sell the gold ores I have in my pocket though. Let me know if you open up again.

Today's number is 1 if anyone needs it!
tumblr_my2w84ByMj1svm4v1o2_400.jpg

Here is my current bingo card as well:
tumblr_my2w84ByMj1svm4v1o1_400.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just tossing a general series of questions out to try to get some discussion going that isn't necessarily related to bingo:

Most of us have had a decent amount of time with the snowpeople, so what are your thoughts on them? I believe this is the first game with more than a snowman, which is the equivalent of the snowboy in this game, so that's a fairly big change in and of itself. Would you say that this is largely improved from the past games, or would you prefer there just be the one snowman like the old games? Would you like the building process to be simplified somehow? How would you like them to shift this idea in future iterations of the game?

My tl;dr responses:

For me, I think having the multiple snowpeople is kind of neat, when compared to the Gamecube snowman building (that's the only other one I've played). I really like that they kind of foster visiting other people, whether it's to get bingo numbers for a snowman, or using somebody else's snowmam for ice furniture. It's been fun having visitors and visiting people, since we haven't been doing too much of that since the fireworks over the summer, or on random event days. So in that sense, I feel like it's a big improvement, since you're not just getting one set of furniture and ridding your hands of having to build more.

While this does cause the player to actively roll snowballs around for a couple months, it's also a big time investment, which can definitely be a detriment for many people. At best, it will take 10 days to get all the snowman items, 1 day for the snowmam's, 15 days for the snowboy's, and 16 for the snowtyke, which can be reduced to a total of 36 days (I think I have the right). That's a lot of days, and may not be practical for everyone, especially when you consider that this is a best case scenario: it could take more days to deal with the bingo cards. While you have 75 days total to deal with all this, you'd pretty much have to play regularly if you wanted everything (which admittedly might not be the case anyway based on the player). That's quite a bit of an investment, compared to a much lesser one in the previous games, or at least the Gamecube one at any rate, if I remember right. I can definitely see that as being a bit daunting for many players. The bingo game is fairly simple for us since there are a lot of us playing, but if you don't have many friends on your list, that shit would be a giant pain in the ass.

In terms of the building process, I don't mind it, but it's certainly annoying if you have a lot of trees in your town. I wonder if there could be some kind of field or something reserved for this in the future games (perhaps there could also be events or minigames in this field). I mean really, the process of pushing two snowballs together isn't difficult in the slightest, but we just get penalized for being meticulous in our towns (or perhaps not so meticulous) and not having a lot of free space. Other than that, I think it's fine how it is.

If they continue this idea of having multiple snowpeople, I think I would prefer having a system that continues to foster the idea of visiting and having visitors, as I definitely think these games are more fun when you're together with friends. I do appreciate how they seem to give you items you don't have first before offering dupes, and it's not as annoying as it could be due to that. I think bingo is kind of nice, but it is a bit of an investment as well, so I could understand if people would want to do away with that. Maybe there could be a variation on the petition system or something, where you have to gather some sort of item or items from a snowperson of the same type from other towns. Arbitrary, awful example: a snowman needs a hat, a nose, a scarf, something like that, so you go to other towns and talk to their snowmams, snowtykes, and snowboys to get these items. I know, bad example, but something like that could work. I would definitely appreciate some kind of refinement wherein it's less work to get all the items, just to be fair to people who don't have a lot of time.

Sorry, I know this is much too long to read, but feel free to ignore my responses and just answer the questions (or ignore everything). Just thought it might be nice to have some actual discussion as well, since we've been kind of inundated with bingo related posts as of late, and it may be scaring people off :p

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Is that stuff you need to give your villagers on Toy Day? You don't need to buy any of that. Jingle will give you a bag of gifts when you dress as Santa, and you just pass them out.

Wait, for Toy Day you have to order the stuff? I thought Jingle gave you a bunch of gifts and you just have to give them to the proper villagers?

...Oh.

Well then.

Sorry, what's your town name? I should add mine to my profile as well.

Oh, sorry it's Whiterun. Good idea, I'll go ahead and add my info in my profile as well.

Just tossing a general series of questions out to try to get some discussion going that isn't necessarily related to bingo:

Most of us have had a decent amount of time with the snowpeople, so what are your thoughts on them? I believe this is the first game with more than a snowman, which is the equivalent of the snowboy in this game, so that's a fairly big change in and of itself. Would you say that this is largely improved from the past games, or would you prefer there just be the one snowman like the old games? Would you like the building process to be simplified somehow? How would you like them to shift this idea in future iterations of the game?

I like the variety of snowpeople. It's pretty cool that there are a couple different sets. But like you mention, the time sink to collect it all is far too much for me personally. I'm pretty busy and I'm not able to play every day. Luckily for me, I'm not too hung up on trying to collect everything this year as I plan to stick with the game for quite some time so it's not a huge problem if I do miss some stuff. But from what I can tell from the thread, a lot of people would really like to collect everything quickly and that's totally understandable.

I'm not really sure how they could improve it for the inevitable Wii U version. On one hand, I like the variety. But on the other, it takes a lot of time many people do not have but would like to collect everything. I'd say remove the bingo and add more things like the snowmama, to speed it up a bit? I'm sure a lot of people are having fun with bingo though.

The Snow family idea is a really nice touch, but I think too much emphasis is placed on each individual family member. It's a bit overwhelming when you have each family member handing out their own unique items. I'd rather have a system that rewards players on building the entire snow family & gather items to decorate the snow family.

The Snow family idea is a really nice touch, but I think too much emphasis is placed on each individual family member. It's a bit overwhelming when you have each family member handing out their own unique items. I'd rather have a system that rewards players on building the entire snow family & gather items to decorate the snow family.

I like this idea. Maybe to go along with this, once you build the family they ask you to build them a home for the holidays. You could construct an igloo and be able to visit them in their home until they melt away.

Narras

First, I want to say that this is the longest that I have ever played an Animal Crossing game. Before, I shared a game with my siblings but, now that I am in control of my own town. I feel more invested in it. Therefore, I play it more.

As for these Winter events, I do like having multiple Snowpeople to build and get items from but, I sometimes feel they are are just too hard to get. Though, I was glad to see that rolling a snowball over flowers did not damage them. My brother plays the game and has kind of given up on rolling snowpeople since you have to build them perfectly. He's also given up on playing bingo since the time investment in that is huge and he has no interest in adding random people to his friend list. He basically has given up on building snowpeople altogether.

The Snowmam is more forgiving and is what I would consider the best snowperson in the game. You can build her and even though she is not perfect, you can still obtain her furniture series by handing her 5 snowflakes.

For bingo, this more has to do with the 3DS but, the friend list is too small. 100 is too small a number. Most of my friend list is from Pokemon (Friend Safari - Gotta Have'em All) and I have less than 15 dedicated to Animal Crossing. It's just kind of a hassle adding and deleting people. I wish I had more space so I could add everyone and just open my gates if anyone needed to visit for bingo numbers.

I do like your idea of building a Snowman and going around collecting items to build him. I want people to be able to build snowpeople without worrying if the one they wanted was too big or too small. It's bad when you want the Snowmam and you get the Snowboy.

This is a nice idea.

Elija2

I like that there are different kinds of snowpeople, but it does kinda bother me that there are so many things you have to do to get all the items. I like bingo and I think catching snowflakes is alright, but doing them every day sure is time consuming. And screw the snowtyke's conditions to get his furniture. Thank god he only has four.

I don't think your petition idea would work since it would be impossible for those who for whatever reason can't visit other towns. Getting all the bingo items without visiting other towns is probably impossible but at least you'd be able to get a couple before winter is over.

The one thing I absolutely hate is how the dung beetles are able to roll the snowballs. At first I thought it was a cool little detail but now it pisses me off whenever I leave a snowball only to return to it having disappeared. They're the main reason that making snowpeople takes so long because I keep losing snowballs at no fault of my own and have to look for them all over again. It would be nice if dung beetles didn't roll the bigger snowballs so you could safely roll a base snowball without having to worry about it disappearing when you go to fetch the second one.

My tl;dr responses:

For me, I think having the multiple snowpeople is kind of neat, when compared to the Gamecube snowman building (that's the only other one I've played). I really like that they kind of foster visiting other people, whether it's to get bingo numbers for a snowman, or using somebody else's snowmam for ice furniture. It's been fun having visitors and visiting people, since we haven't been doing too much of that since the fireworks over the summer, or on random event days. So in that sense, I feel like it's a big improvement, since you're not just getting one set of furniture and ridding your hands of having to build more.

While this does cause the player to actively roll snowballs around for a couple months, it's also a big time investment, which can definitely be a detriment for many people. At best, it will take 10 days to get all the snowman items, 1 day for the snowmam's, 15 days for the snowboy's, and 16 for the snowtyke, which can be reduced to a total of 36 days (I think I have the right). That's a lot of days, and may not be practical for everyone, especially when you consider that this is a best case scenario: it could take more days to deal with the bingo cards. While you have 75 days total to deal with all this, you'd pretty much have to play regularly if you wanted everything (which admittedly might not be the case anyway based on the player). That's quite a bit of an investment, compared to a much lesser one in the previous games, or at least the Gamecube one at any rate, if I remember right. I can definitely see that as being a bit daunting for many players. The bingo game is fairly simple for us since there are a lot of us playing, but if you don't have many friends on your list, that shit would be a giant pain in the ass.

In terms of the building process, I don't mind it, but it's certainly annoying if you have a lot of trees in your town. I wonder if there could be some kind of field or something reserved for this in the future games (perhaps there could also be events or minigames in this field). I mean really, the process of pushing two snowballs together isn't difficult in the slightest, but we just get penalized for being meticulous in our towns (or perhaps not so meticulous) and not having a lot of free space. Other than that, I think it's fine how it is.

If they continue this idea of having multiple snowpeople, I think I would prefer having a system that continues to foster the idea of visiting and having visitors, as I definitely think these games are more fun when you're together with friends. I do appreciate how they seem to give you items you don't have first before offering dupes, and it's not as annoying as it could be due to that. I think bingo is kind of nice, but it is a bit of an investment as well, so I could understand if people would want to do away with that. Maybe there could be a variation on the petition system or something, where you have to gather some sort of item or items from a snowperson of the same type from other towns. Arbitrary, awful example: a snowman needs a hat, a nose, a scarf, something like that, so you go to other towns and talk to their snowmams, snowtykes, and snowboys to get these items. I know, bad example, but something like that could work. I would definitely appreciate some kind of refinement wherein it's less work to get all the items, just to be fair to people who don't have a lot of time.

Sorry, I know this is much too long to read, but feel free to ignore my responses and just answer the questions (or ignore everything). Just thought it might be nice to have some actual discussion as well, since we've been kind of inundated with bingo related posts as of late, and it may be scaring people off :p

I think the main problem here is that the game was designed to "last" several years to play through the seasons. But you are indeed correct that there is a grind to get these items as soon as possible. The refinement system should be considered for future releases...who the hell wants to weed 5000 plants out for a gold badge? Good grief, and those who do - really have a lot of time on their hands...

I have mixed feelings about the collecting/cataloguing elements of this game. Yes, I know they're optional, but they seem to induce a sort of compulsion in many people (myself included) that can turn the game into a bit of a chore.

For example, when I first started playing New Leaf (my first AC game), all I thought about was getting the gold tools. It made me not appreciate some elements like fishing and bug collecting for their own merits but only saw them as means to an end. Thus, when I got a set of duped gold tools from a friend, it actually helped me stop being so OCD and focus on the parts of the games that really work for me: interacting with others online, villagers, and town building.

When I played Dark Souls, my favorite game of all time, I got so obsessed with guides, collecting, upgrading items, and leveling up, that it took much of the fun out of it. When I got to the end I was as much relieved as anything else. So, I've tried since then to only uses guides as a last resort and let the game come to me, even if I might be missing out on stuff. It's made playing Black Flag much more enjoyable than some of the last few open-world games I've played.

So, yea, I do think they kind of overdo it with how many hoops you have to jump through to collect all the items in a set. I never let myself get into the cataloguing part of this game because of what happened with Dark Souls (though I have no judgments on those who get into it). I do want all the items in the Ski Series because I think they look awesome and I don't want dupes because playing bingo with you peeps keeps my mood up when I am editing the 500+ pages of my thesis. But I thought the other snowmen items seemed non-essential, so I'm only building snow papas.

Ok. You asked for feedback, so there's my three cents.

Niraj

I like the variety of snowpeople. It's pretty cool that there are a couple different sets. But like you mention, the time sink to collect it all is far too much for me personally. I'm pretty busy and I'm not able to play every day. Luckily for me, I'm not too hung up on trying to collect everything this year as I plan to stick with the game for quite some time so it's not a huge problem if I do miss some stuff. But from what I can tell from the thread, a lot of people would really like to collect everything quickly and that's totally understandable.

I'm not really sure how they could improve it for the inevitable Wii U version. On one hand, I like the variety. But on the other, it takes a lot of time many people do not have but would like to collect everything. I'd say remove the bingo and add more things like the snowmama, to speed it up a bit? I'm sure a lot of people are having fun with bingo though.

Definitely, the snowmam is the most generous one. It's definitely good to keep the perspective that this is supposed to be a game you play for quite some time, but yeah, for many people it's just not realistic.

I like this idea. Maybe to go along with this, once you build the family they ask you to build them a home for the holidays. You could construct an igloo and be able to visit them in their home until they melt away.

Yeah these ideas would be nice, agreed with both of you. I think there are likely too many items as it is now. Perhaps if they just cut down the amount it would be more reasonable. Or have easier ways to get them.

Having to build them to perfection is the part I think that's killing people. :p

Considering they'll only last 4 days anyway.

I suppose that's true. They should all be more like the snowmam, where even if it's not perfect, you can still get the items, but might have to put more work in. Maybe for the snowman you'd still get a card but wouldn't get a free space, or would have to get two bingos or something. For the snowboy, maybe you would have to do some kind of chore/activity to get the item instead of just having it mailed. I think there are ways to refine it to make it easier for everyone.

Good points, kind of responded to this in my response to Frogstep. Definitely agree on the snowmam (I think we all do), and totally agree on the friend list. It's ridiculously small, and I don't really understand why. I really hate deleting people.

Other stuff

Agree about the snowtyke, and that's fair on the petition thing. Perhaps they could do something where it would be simpler to get these items by visiting, but you'd be able to do it in your own town in a slightly more tedious way. Though I suppose that wouldn't be too fair. I don't know, just spitballing anyway :p

That does sound annoying about the dung beetles, but I haven't experienced it myself since I usually build mine after they disappear. That is pretty stupid though.

I think the main problem here is that the game was designed to "last" several years to play through the seasons. But you are indeed correct that there is a grind to get these items as soon as possible. The refinement system should be considered for future releases...who the hell wants to weed 5000 plants out for a gold badge? Good grief, and those who do - really have a lot of time on their hands...

Yeah, it's good to keep that in mind, definitely agree. And yeah, the badges are a whole other story. Some of those progressions are just fucking miserable. The weeding one and the island medals off the top of my head being two of the worst offenders. The weeding one is the absolute worst, although I would be willing to hear arguments in regards to the Streetpass one since living in a small area really cripples you in that respect.

Fair points. I'm one of those people who does keep the cataloging in mind, merely because I do feel completing the whole thing is actually attainable, since we have such easy access to the towns of others, but yes, some things are absolutely miserable. I can understand them not wanting people to just order a bunch and trade each other certain items, since that would cause people to play less, but some of the unorderable items are really a nuisance. If they're unorderable, they should at least allow everybody to get it. Having region exclusive items is just a pain. I mean, it's a video game, so why not have your town celebrate all these different holidays? It doesn't have to be realistic, you're living with a bunch of damn animals lol. But it's definitely important to keep perspective like you mention. If it's becoming too much of a chore, definitely set it aside and play/do something else. I definitely agree that playing with you guys is the most fun part of this game!

Chopper

I am loving the snow people. It only took me a little while to establish how to build each one perfectly, so it only takes 5 minutes each day to build whatever I need. Bingo cards are a genius idea that have got us all travelling all over the place for numbers. The only thing that annoys me is that I need to waste three days' worth of snowpeople in order to get the Snowtyke stuff. My Snowboy tomorrow, for example, needs a giant head. At least by this time next week I will be done with the Tyke bits and can just grind Papas and Boys for exclusive Winter furniture awesomeness. Gotta hoard dat unorderable furniture!

Niraj said:
If they're unorderable, they should at least allow everybody to get it. Having region exclusive items is just a pain. I mean, it's a video game, so why not have your town celebrate all these different holidays?
The way it is, it rewards those with the time, inclination and effort to either travel to other countries or trade for those rarer, more valuable goods. Despite the fact that duping is a thing, the AC economy is a pretty dynamic, fascinating thing to be a part of.

Koomaster

I know it's late, but if you still need some bingo numbers my town has...

23: To the left of the Cafe
28, 46, 49: South east of the town tree; follow the path south of the tree and you can't miss 'em.

Opening up my gates now.

Niraj

The way it is, it rewards those with the time, inclination and effort to either travel to other countries or trade for those rarer, more valuable goods. Despite the fact that duping is a thing, the AC economy is a pretty dynamic, fascinating thing to be a part of.

And punishes those who are unable to find people from said countries. Will have to agree to disagree with you on that.

I know it's late, but if you still need some bingo numbers my town has...

23: To the left of the Cafe
28, 46, 49: South east of the town tree; follow the path south of the tree and you can't miss 'em.

Opening up my gates now.

Sweet, I need two of those :D going to stop in.

Here's the list again:

Snowman Bingo December 19

Niraj: 1
Warrior_Keoni: 1
fishfishmonkeyhat: 3
Roto13: 4
fishfishmonkeyhat: 4
Chanser: 5
eudaemonic: 5
milkham: 6
Coldsnap: 7
Niraj: 8
Frogstep: 9
milkham: 13
MisterSamMan: 13
fishfishmonkeyhat: 13
milkham: 15
Niraj: 15
Wheelhoss1: 18
Samurai_Heart: 18
Elija2: 18
eudaemonic: 23
Koomaster: 23
Roto13: 24
Elija2: 24
Coldsnap: 25
Wheelhoss1: 27
Koomaster: 28
MisterSamMan: 28
Frogstep: 28
Chanser: 28
milkham: 29
fishfishmonkeyhat: 29
Roto13: 31
Warrior_Keoni: 31
Warrior_Keoni: 32
eudaemonic: 32
Coldsnap: 32
Frogstep: 32
Narras: 33
Wheelhoss1: 35
rataven: 37
Coldsnap: 38
Frogstep: 39
Linius: 39
Chopper: 42
MicH: 42
Chanser: 42
Warrior_Keoni: 43
Elija2: 44
Koomaster: 46
Wheelhoss1: 47
MisterSamMan: 48
Koomaster: 49
Niraj: 50

Chopper

And punishes those who are unable to find people from said countries. Will have to agree to disagree with you on that.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you're the sort to invest so much time in the game that the region-exclusive furniture items are something you need in your life, you're gonna have access to the internet and its various forums that facilitate the opportunity. Since Wild World, being part of an international online community is a big part of playing the game anyway. Or at least, it has been for me. Not that I've met many Koreans around. :/

Nelo Ice

Banned
I have mixed feelings about the collecting/cataloguing elements of this game. Yes, I know they're optional, but they seem to induce a sort of compulsion in many people (myself included) that can turn the game into a bit of a chore.

For example, when I first started playing New Leaf (my first AC game), all I thought about was getting the gold tools. It made me not appreciate some elements like fishing and bug collecting for their own merits but only saw them as means to an end. Thus, when I got a set of duped gold tools from a friend, it actually helped me stop being so OCD and focus on the parts of the games that really work for me: interacting with others online, villagers, and town building.

When I played Dark Souls, my favorite game of all time, I got so obsessed with guides, collecting, upgrading items, and leveling up, that it took much of the fun out of it. When I got to the end I was as much relieved as anything else. So, I've tried since then to only uses guides as a last resort and let the game come to me, even if I might be missing out on stuff. It's made playing Black Flag much more enjoyable than some of the last few open-world games I've played.

So, yea, I do think they kind of overdo it with how many hoops you have to jump through to collect all the items in a set. I never let myself get into the cataloguing part of this game because of what happened with Dark Souls (though I have no judgments on those who get into it). I do want all the items in the Ski Series because I think they look awesome and I don't want dupes because playing bingo with you peeps keeps my mood up when I am editing the 500+ pages of my thesis. But I thought the other snowmen items seemed non-essential, so I'm only building snow papas.

I know that feel it's why I haven't really interacted with you guys as much since I know it'll just be a chore for me trying to run around and collect everything lol. With that said I do need to stop being lazy and make some more money since upgrading and PWPs cost so much!. Of course started playing Pokemon again and I'm probably going to be playing that more often now. Though I did just order OOT, MK7, and Kid Icarus thanks to BB's b2g1 free preowned sale. I totally don't have a problem with my 3DS game buying habits even though all I play is AC:NL and Pokemon X lol.

New Leaf is my first Animal Crossing so I can't speak to past iterations of the game but I like the idea of a family of snowpeople. I just have some issues with execution.

I'm not a big fan of the bingo thing if only because it's a tremendous amount of work during a time of the year when I, like a lot of people, am busiest. And even if I ignore my own card, I feel badly if I'm not checking the thread constantly or leaving my gates open all day for people to come collect my number. So I'm watching from the sidelines instead since I just can't keep up with you guys. Plus I don't really need a snowmachine in my mayor's house.

The Snowmam is perfect the way she is. With a little work, you can easily put together the entire set in an afternoon or you can choose to spread it out a bit. The Snowboy set is fine to me too because I don't need the entire set Right Now. I don't mind completing it over time because I appreciate the fact that I can actually do it myself. And I really like the Snowtyke system for two reasons: it requires a little planning ahead if you want to do it perfectly and it also helps out people who have inadvertently built a lopsided snowperson and don't have the time to fix it. The Snowman favors frequently online, outgoing players who like to get everything right away with the time to do a lot of traveling and hosting while the others are better balanced for more offline, patient players.

As for building itself, it's a challenge for towns that have been developed with a lot of trees, bush-lined paths, and public works projects. Doable but a challenge. The idea of turning the town plaza into a field is a pretty good one especially since the Wii U version will hopefully feature a much larger town with plenty of space to accomodate it. I wish there was a slightly more obvious size differential between the snowpeople. Based on the comments I've read here, it's really easy for some people to see the difference and almost impossible for others.

Maybe there could be a variation on the petition system or something, where you have to gather some sort of item or items from a snowperson of the same type from other towns.

I like this idea. When we were doing the Harvest Festival, I think I mentioned that this world is ripe for a massive scavenger hunt and this could be a great opportunity for it. As Elija2 pointed out, it would have to be done in a way so that people who choose not to or are unable to play online can participate as well.

Maybe each day one of our villagers is holding on to a snowperson item. So I talk to all my villagers and find out that Whitney's got a mitten that my Snowboy needs. Whitney says she'll hand over the mitten for a football fish. I get her the fish and receive my mitten. The next day, a different villager will be asking for something else for another piece. But in Niraj's town, Muffy is handing out carrot noses in exchange for 5 snowflakes (a snowflake being the only thing that truly captures her delicate beauty). I can either wait for one of my own villagers to have a carrot nose or I can travel to Lazulis and risk falling victim to Niraj's emote spamming to get it quicker. Or something else entirely. I guess some people like me really enjoying constantly interacting with their villagers and fulfilling requests while others just find it to be a chore.

Just thought it might be nice to have some actual discussion as well, since we've been kind of inundated with bingo related posts as of late, and it may be scaring people off :p

I agree. :) Even if it's partially a result of my Skypewhining. I really like reading everyone's responses and ideas.

Elija2

That does sound annoying about the dung beetles, but I haven't experienced it myself since I usually build mine after they disappear. That is pretty stupid though.

I guess I never thought about only making snowpeople when dung beetles aren't around. That would certainly make it much less frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom