• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Review Leaf - Check it out! I dug up a 9!

There's clearly no persuading you, especially if you think Pokemon has particularly good core mechanics.
Relatively, it certainly does. There's yknow, an iota of challenge and a rule set with layers of depth to it as opposed to "clean up town, collect junk to sell, check store for new items, pay mortgage off". Youre right, there is clearly no persuading me into thinking this is a good core. Cause it isnt.

You only make it tedious if you play it as a tedious game. The new mechanics is more akin to giving you more things to do and letting you have long-term effects in your town. I can't blame you for thinking the new stuff as nothing much because the DS and Wii games were like that, but this one feels like a true sequel.
Well that is good that theyre giving you more ways to let you make money. Hey, sorry for being the debbie downer, more power to the AC fans. Im happy that you guys have a new town to get up to some shenanigans.

btkadams

You can't really build houses per se, you live in one house that you choose to place down at the beginning of the game. And that house is the one you can customize and expand. The town works projects involve things like bridges between rivers, lampposts, new fountains, fences, etc. They are projects that have a set amount of currency that needs to be met to have them get built. You're essentially customizing your town. Think of the projects as glorified furniture you place down on the map. (Of course they aren't *literally* furniture). You can certainly create your own garden, though, using the flowers that you can buy in the game.

In Animal Crossing, you have to make money by either selling items, finding the money in the town via certain tricks/secrets, or you can take up a part-time job (which is something that's new in ACNL) working for Brewster at his coffee shop. So a big part of the game is having a large sum of money to do what you want, as that's also how you buy clothes and accessories to customize your character and buy things to customize your house (this also includes furniture).

Granted, you don't *have* to solely focus on making money, but it's one of the important things you will need to manage.

It's not like the Sims where you're managing a family, you move in with money already in your pocket, and command your character what to do. You actually CONTROL and move your character around the town like any old 3D game. You're literally moving the character with the analogue stick and everything. You start from 0 and go all the way up to 10, you have to work your way up and along with that comes events, sharing items between friends via online, talking to neighbors (possibly doing chores for them), collecting bugs/fish/fossils, and so much more.
thanks!! i think i understand now. well, i think i am going to get this digitally on sunday.

javac

Now I feel terrible for derailing the thread for mentioning Pokemon :/

Don't be! Pokemon is always relevant. It's just when people spit in the face of my beloved Pokemon in front of mein very eyes! No no that will not do!

Still...Pokemon and animal Crossing this year. Months apart even! Good year!

Land degradation is gone? That's not very fun.

I haven't played one since the gamecube days as they all looked so similar that I didn't feel the need to play the same thing. I still don't know if this is different enough for me to invest time in again.

Land degradation is gone? That's not very fun.

I haven't played one since the gamecube days as they all looked so similar that I didn't feel the need to play the same thing. I still don't know if this is different enough for me to invest time in again.

I think it is, as the new dynamics and perks that come with being the Mayor sound fresh. I haven't been with the series since the GC days too and this one sounds fresh enough to jump in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I can't believe people say Pokemon core is bad, unless they limit it to what they see. It's pretty deep that it has a metagame of various tiers.

Nine of the same fruit!

Just nine? Awww. How many spots do we have in the inventory?

javac

Dunno why, but I would bet it will be the Last of Us. You know, action! "Zombies"! Pew pew!
Sounds like it should sell well.

However, what about the 7 given by Destructoid?

Destructoid work different. 7 is very good, it's just other reviewers have made anything other then a 8 or above look crap. In reality 7 is very good, 8 is excellent, 9 is amazing and 10 is perfect.

Philia

Yeah I can't believe people say Pokemon core is bad, unless they limit it to what they see. It's pretty deep that it has a metagame of various tiers.

I knew better not to bother with Pokemon mentions because its literally like opening a huge ass ball of pokemons.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
The Telegraph: 5/5
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/10096208/Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-review.html
And rest assured, if you start playing for just a few minutes, the wide array of activities, that constant sense that something new is happening almost every day, will see you finding more time to spend in this delightful, charming world ... Put it this way: every time you open your 3DS to play New Leaf, you know you’re almost certain to experience something new or surprising. And how many games can you say that about?

Gamespot's review listed "endlessly repeating dialogue" as one of the game's flaws. I think repetitive dialogue has been a bit of a problem in all of the AC games, or at least in the Gamecube and DS ones.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly feel repeating dialogue will only come out if you played it for a very, very long time.

DedValve

Banned
So my graduation is coming up next week and I've been dropping hints to my family that I really would like an enjoyable and relaxing game to play and constantly talk about animal crossing. Playing music and shit hoping I can bank on a free game.

They left their computer on and after some digging I check their amazon homepage. Fuckers got me Mass Effect Trilogy and I don't even own any of 3's DLC :(

I'm
grateful
salty now. Gonna be a while before I can jump in. Quick question, is it possible to transfer games from one 3DS to another? I was thinking of updating to a 3DS xl at one point when I had more money and trade my Mario Red 3DS in but I want to know if I can still keep 3D land. I love that game.

EDIT: Woops I thought this was the OT. On topic those 9's makes me more hyped. Too much hype!

Relatively, it certainly does. There's yknow, an iota of challenge and a rule set with layers of depth to it as opposed to "clean up town, collect junk to sell, check store for new items, pay mortgage off". Youre right, there is clearly no persuading me into thinking this is a good core. Cause it isnt.

Explaining the appeal of animal crossing is like explaining the appeal of minecraft, its very hard. The open ended aspect of the game leads to different interpretations for different people, so there isn't really a finite "reason" per se for why people enjoy these tedious and boring chores so much. The only way to "get it" is to actually play it, which is basically a catch 22 since you probably don't want to spend your money if you don't understand the appeal. Talking in absolutes like that when the topic is on opinions is kinda silly, though.

Explaining the appeal of animal crossing is like explaining the appeal of minecraft, its very hard. The open ended aspect of the game leads to different interpretations for different people, so there isn't really a finite "reason" per se for why people enjoy these tedious and boring chores so much. The only way to "get it" is to actually play it, which is basically a catch 22 since you probably don't want to spend your money if you don't understand the appeal. Talking in absolutes like that when the topic is on opinions is kinda silly, though.
You can explain Minecraft pretty easily. Infinite Lego for $27 for the creative. Survival mode if you want something challenging and goal oriented, where you start with nothing and survive the days and nights till youve tamed the land. Basic fantasy wilderness simulation. Ive played enough Wild World, I am only speaking from my opinion. Do I need to add an imo?

hatchx

Banned
Hmm....all good reviews. But I'll wait for Gamespot to give this game less than a 9, like they have for all the 3DS titles they have reviewed :p

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.htm...st_date&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc&official=all
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?mode=all&platform=1068&sort=post_date&sortdir=asc&page=1

edit: Guess I should have read the other pages :p

Giving Luigi's Mansion 2 a 6.5 and DKCR a 7.0 is just criminal. Not to mention ZombiU a 4.5. They are more-often-than-not the outlier on the lower end of nintendo reviews. It's clear they don't care as much for Nintendo products over there.

You can explain Minecraft pretty easily. Infinite Lego for $27 for the creative. Survival mode if you want something challenging and goal oriented, where you start with nothing and survive the days and nights till youve tamed the land. Basic fantasy wilderness simulation. Ive played enough Wild World, I am only speaking from my opinion. Do I need to add an imo?

Something of the sort because your attitude is pretty annoying and you seem to only be here to spout your opinion as loud as you can so that everyone is sure that they heard it. Relating minecraft's core appeal to something else isn't really specifically explaining it. The problem with Animal Crossing is that there isn't really anything else quite like it. Essentially though, Animal Crossing and Minecraft both have the same guidelines and thus were the purpose of my analogy: Do repetitive things (such as digging or fishing) to express your creativity (build blocks/customize house)

Well that is good that theyre giving you more ways to let you make money. Hey, sorry for being the debbie downer, more power to the AC fans. Im happy that you guys have a new town to get up to some shenanigans.

Like there's IVs and EVs in Pokemom, there's hybrid flowers and Feng Shei in Animal Crossing. Hidden layers that add an extra level of challenge to the game. Just one similarity I can think of. You put in what you get out I guess.

Something of the sort because your attitude is pretty annoying and you seem to only be here to spout your opinion as loud as you can so that everyone is sure that they heard it.
Isnt that why everyone is here? To spout their opinion about the reviews? What did I say that was so out of line? My attitude? Because its not overly positive and full of hype? Dont worry, Im not going to ruin the official topic with my presence. If my opinion bothers you that much, there is that handy dandy ignore list.

Man, I don't know... I always got bored playing previous entries after an hour of picking up stuff from the ground, trees, and fishing just to sell everything. I always found there wasn't much to do in these games.

But these reviews make this one tempting.

Philia

Man, I don't know... I always got bored playing previous entries after an hour of picking up stuff from the ground, trees, and fishing just to sell everything. I always found there wasn't much to do in these games.

But these reviews make this one tempting.

Its okay, you don't have to follow the hype or anything. Its really a "either you like it or you don't". There's really no middle ground.

grumpy

Oh man, I wish the eshop allowed us to preload part of the game so that we could play immediately at midnight. How big is the digital version of this?

I'm even more hyped now. The last two Animal Crossing games have been knocked down for being too same-y. Even though I didn't mind much, these scores seem to be giving little but praise.

Fair review by Sterling at Destructoid

I wonder if the near universe high praise for New Leaf undermines the calls for something new in future revisions. Keep doling out 9s and 10s and you're going to get more of the same at this point.

Not really. City Folk was little more than a port of the DS version, and reception was quite mixed. The Iwata Asks even mentioned this as a reason New Leaf is probably the most different this series has been since the very first game. Reviewers and consumers felt the Wii version was too samey, and Nintendo responded accordingly

etrain911

So my graduation is coming up next week and I've been dropping hints to my family that I really would like an enjoyable and relaxing game to play and constantly talk about animal crossing. Playing music and shit hoping I can bank on a free game.

They left their computer on and after some digging I check their amazon homepage. Fuckers got me Mass Effect Trilogy and I don't even own any of 3's DLC :(

I'm
grateful
salty now. Gonna be a while before I can jump in. Quick question, is it possible to transfer games from one 3DS to another? I was thinking of updating to a 3DS xl at one point when I had more money and trade my Mario Red 3DS in but I want to know if I can still keep 3D land. I love that game.

EDIT: Woops I thought this was the OT. On topic those 9's makes me more hyped. Too much hype!

Yes it is totally possible. You should quickly ask your parents to get you that Animal Crossing XL bundle for graduation. That's what I'm getting from my aunt!

Esque7

I want it, but I've talked myself into not getting it. I put so much time into WW, and I really don't have the time nowadays for another AC game, plus my backlog is huge. Hope everyone else enjoys it!

Salsa

missed this thread, posted some other ones in the OT:

GameRevolution - 10/10

Animal Crossing: New Leaf finally evolves and revitalizes the formula, expands on the way you interact with your town in meaningful ways, and more importantly returns the series to portable hardware.

GamingAge - 10/10

There’s charm oozing out of every single corner (across both screens!), and even if you’re not a long-time fan there’s a good chance this will be the entry that draws you in.

Telegraph - 10/10

Every time you open your 3DS to play New Leaf, you know you’re almost certain to experience something new or surprising. And how many games can you say that about?

GamingTrend - 9.7/10

It’s not something that you can marathon, it’s not something you can “beat,” and going in without those expectations will ruin it for you. Its portable nature, plus all of the extra features that they’ve been adding since the first game on the GameCube make this not only the best game in the series, but also a perfect starting point for newcomers.

IGN - 9.6

New Leaf is a truly magical game, one that you can easily expect to invest hundreds of hours in over the course of years. Anyone with access to a 3DS should absolutely give this game a try - just be prepared to kiss your “real” life goodbye.

Polygon 9.0/10

Animal Crossing: New Leaf's addicting, ceaseless progression is all in the service of creating an identity for yourself and your surroundings. The expansion of the series' multiplayer capabilities — a vehicle for you to actually showcase that identity — is one of the best things New Leaf has going for it.

Joystiq - 9.0/10

Yes, it can be boiled down to "just more Animal Crossing," but the introduction of your mayoral duties, a few housing and furniture enhancements and (let's be honest here) the ability to buy your character pants is enough to make Animal Crossing: New Leaf worth playing, even for series veterans.

NintendoLife - 9.0/10

It is apparent from only a comparably short time — as opposed to months and years — spent with the game that Nintendo has done a great deal to address the complaints of its Wii predecessor, and provided plenty of exciting new features and buildings to enjoy.

EDGE - 9.0/10

Animal Crossing: New Leaf has a revitalising new flavour, and in 3DS it’s finally found the ideal place to settle down and make its home.

Eurogamer - 9.0/10

Playing it my way has lead me to the kind of self-reflection that a man in his 30s can't always afford. Why do I care what this leopard thinks of me? Why am I losing sleep over the construction of a virtual bench?

GameTrailers - 8.6/10

Despite the daily chores and bee stings, there's something truly captivating about this virtual life, and you'll grow attached to its endearing characters as you chat and exchange letters. For long-time fans, there's much of the familiar, but the vast array of tweaks and additions to Animal Crossing: New Leaf blow through your town like a fresh breeze. It's good to be mayor.

GameInformer - 8.5/10

New Leaf is one of the most purely pleasant experiences in gaming, free of stressful boss fights, combative multiplayer experiences, or cynicism in any form. Instead, it focuses on clever humor and forming friendships with the residents of your town. Some may find it cheesy or without direction, but I enjoyed this endlessly charming outlier in the current gaming landscape.

EGM - 8.5/10

New Leaf brings updates both major and minor, but the most important of them for me was the push for customization. You’ll now spend far more time making your town just the way you want it to be and personalizing your character to suit your specific tastes—and, really, that’s what Animal Crossing should be about.

Gamespot - 8.0/10

New Leaf is an expected sequel that doesn't stray far from its predecessors. Still, the happiness of your citizens is so intoxicating that it's easy to be sucked into this portable adventure as you live out your dreams as an all-powerful mayor.

Destructoid - 7.0/10

A new leaf has not been turned. Rather, an old dog is on display. Faithful, loyal, and hard to dislike, but you know what it can do already.

Drago

SalsaShark, all of the reviews that weren't already in the OP have been put there. Thanks :)

Also, thank you to SuperSah who gave me the original list of reviews for the OP.

I'll go through any other reviews posted that I missed when my internet starts working again, going super slow for no reason :/

Nintendo just keeps pumping out hit after hit on the 3DS. First Fire Emblem earlier this year and now this?

I'd say the only exception recently for me has been Luigi's Mansion 2 which was a "good game" but was a tad too long and had questionable design choices; i.e. mission based, no quick saves, generic enemies, and so on and so on.

Mistle

Whoa, those scores are pretty great. Especially from Edge and such.

I look forward to it greatly but for some reason I don't get "hyped" for AC. I guess I'm still worried it'll just be more of the same.

I'm very happy to see that the majority of reviews are actually giving the game a fair shake and are not falling back on the "more of the same" shtick, which is not at all an accurate assessment.

Destructoid work different. 7 is very good, it's just other reviewers have made anything other then a 8 or above look crap. In reality 7 is very good, 8 is excellent, 9 is amazing and 10 is perfect.

I wish more people would realize this :/

And this is why I don't like number scores systems from most places.
Darn school systems ingraining grade score systems in many people.

5/10 would equal: half or average or OK... (imo)

ughhg (sorry, cranky from capture card troubles~)

Can't wait for sunday!

Top Bottom