• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko - Heavyweight Boxing Championship- Saturday 4/29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moze

Banned
What an excellent fight. I hope AJ doesn't entertain Fury. He's been out of the ring for ages and doesn't deserve to come back with a shot at AJ. If he can prove his mental health and commitment first then sure it would be a massive fight.

AJ could potentially go for another belt and really clean up that division. Not sure Parker or Wilder will want anything to do with AJ after last night though

Fury is really the guy everyone is looking at to beat AJ. That can't be ignored. But yeah, Fury needs to commit and really needs some warm up fights to get rid of the ring rust. It's possible that Fury will never reach the level he was at ever again. He really looks and sounds awful these days. I was shocked at how much he has fucked up his body in such a short amount of time. He looked amazing in training last August. If he does manage to get back to his old self then I do not think it is out of the question for him to beat AJ.

Parker isn't a very big draw right now. Wilder is and he is abit of a bum, so I can see him being the next opponent. He will very likely get destroyed.

And this is why I avoid Boxing discussion on here. Laughable posts like these.

But I'm sure Mr. Hamburgler will be providing a full medical report to back up his post. Any day now...

So he isn't a Coke head then? He's what 29? Why would I make it up that I saw him do Coke? Maybe the Coke has made him depressed for all those years of using, but he is a well known Coke head and if you're from the uk you would know the incredible amount of shit he talks. Him getting caught wth Coke and then blaming it on being depressed is typical fury.

Its pretty well known Fury was a massive cokehead

I guess he'll fight Fury next then Wilder at Wembley then he'll have to fight in the US

Only saw the moments of stoppage, not sure if I agree with the ref there but what do I know?

Before the stoppage AJ floored him twice with. Wlad took some massive shots. He wasn't fighting back. It would of been reckless to let the fight continue another second. The ref could have stopped it after the second knock down to be honest

Turin

Banned
That was one hell of a fight! All things considered, I think overall the best heavyweight championship bout since Lennox Lewis vs Vitali Klitschko in 2003.

So Wladimir Klitschko gets off the canvas to rally like a warrior, drop the big guy, fight his ass off and go out on his shield? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. As a poster said earlier, this would be a great note for him to retire on.

Anthony Joshua has a real chance to reinvigorate the sport with his youth, talent, exciting style and affable personality. Hopefully he can learn from this fight and iron out the flaws in his game that were exposed last night. People will expect a lot from him now. Maybe he can start by knocking Tyson Fury's head off.

RenditMan

Banned
Only saw the moments of stoppage, not sure if I agree with the ref there but what do I know?

The rules state that you must defend yourself at all times.

Rolling around on the ropes with vague unsuccessful attempts to push away the opponent who's raining punches on you at will will result in a stoppage everytime.

El Topo

There's no way a Fury vs Joshua fight will happen. Fury will implode or get popped for drugs in the lead-up.

Didn't Fury withdraw twice from his rematch against Klitschko? I think before he gets another big fight he has to prove that he is committed.

What happened to Clinchko. I don't want to speak ill of a great trainer, but Manny Stewart was kind of a blight on the heavyweight division. We need more heavyweight fights like this, less grabbing, wrestling, pushing.

Turin

Banned
Deontay Wilder's young and always dangerous but I don't think he's as good of a fighter as Wladimir was against Joshua.

Anthony has a lot of room to improve. If he stays disciplined, I think he breaks Deontay down.

One last thing. I really don't care for this tribal shit. Never have and never will give a fuck about what country a fighter's from.

Baleoce

Oh god, I got a little drunk watching that fight last night. Sorry if I was rambling. But good god, that was a great fight.

What happened to Clinchko. I don't want to speak ill of a great trainer, but Manny Stewart was kind of a blight on the heavyweight division. We need more heavyweight fights like this, less grabbing, wrestling, pushing.

Manny took a fighter who had suffered devastating knockout losses and whose career was thought to be on the decline after being completely exposed with a suspect ass chin into a dominant undisputed champion with one of the longest reigns in Boxing history. Sure his fights sucked the air out of the room, but I put as much blame to his opponents as I do Wladimir.

Turin

Banned
Manny took a fighter who had suffered devastating knockout losses and whose career was thought to be on the decline after being completely exposed with a suspect ass chin into a dominant undisputed champion with one of the longest reigns in Boxing history. Sure his fights sucked the air out of the room, but I put as much blame to his opponents as I do Wladimir.

The one time I can think of where Wladimir actually let his hands go during his reign was the rematch with Sam Peter in 2010. Sam showed up with just enough to force Wladimir to fight.

Yeah I thought Wlad was done after Brewster. I've been watching boxing for 20 years and no one ever recovers from losses like that. While his comeback is impressive he used tactics excessively that would have been disqualifiable in most ears of boxing. Also everyone makes a big deal about Wlad's chin, but he's never been counted out even though he's been dropped like 20 times. I've always thought his problems were more fatigue, inexperience .

Yeah I thought Wlad was done after Brewster. I've been watching boxing for 20 years and no one ever recovers from losses like that. While his comeback is impressive he used tactics excessively that would have been disqualifiable in most ears of boxing. Also everyone makes a big deal about Wlad's chin, but he's never been counted out even though he's been dropped like 20 times. I've always thought his problems were more fatigue, inexperience .

What era of Boxing are you referring too because holding has been a staple of the sport? Have you ever sat through a John Ruiz fight? LOL You're right he doesn't get knocked out cold, but his chin is suspect enough to let him down, hence why he had to change his tactics in order to minimize putting his chin at risk and maximize his chances at winning. I thought he was done after fighting Brewster too. I never saw a fighter knock himself out like he did in that fight due to exhaustion. LOL

Tom_Cody

UniformLastAlleycat.gif

Jumeira

Banned
Christ Klitschko looks old in that clip. Aging sucks.

What? He was in phenomenal shape, i hope im lucky enough to move like that at his age.

He largely kept up with AJ.

Great win for a unbelievable boxer, especially after all the racist shit he got earlier in the year. Just a great attitude for a supremely talented athlete.

Hoping he reignites heavy weight division like the old days. He's young, good looking and has his own style, love that he always keeps his headphones with him.

Chumley

Banned
So he isn't a Coke head then? He's what 29? Why would I make it up that I saw him do Coke? Maybe the Coke has made him depressed for all those years of using, but he is a well known Coke head and if you're from the uk you would know the incredible amount of shit he talks. Him getting caught wth Coke and then blaming it on being depressed is typical fury.

OMFG Tyson Fury is 29??? All this time I thought he was Klitchko's age or older. Jesus Christ he looks so much older than 29.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
OMFG Tyson Fury is 29??? All this time I thought he was Klitchko's age or older. Jesus Christ he looks so much older than 29.

He was like 27 when he fought Klitchko, lol, looked like he was in his later 30s.

Wall

Klitscko's body looks old to me. He's obviously in great shape, but he kind of looks like he has "old guy with muscles" body devoloping. His skin just looks looser and his muscles look less developed than just 3 or 4 years ago. I mean, he is over 40. Testerone levels start to really dive around that age.

What a great fight, crowd and spectacle at Wembley.

AJ did well to come back from that knockdown but he sure was very leggy and weary for a long time. If he's like that again he might not be able to get through it.

It was a great fight and it was nice to see two ambassadors of the sport act that way in the post fight interviews. Both of them showed a lot of class.

That was a great fight.

However, I think Wlad really messed up by not pulling the trigger in rounds 6/7 - he had Joshua on silly street, he was gassed and there to be KO'd but Wlad reeverted to his juab n grab style, no doubt thinking (like i did) that the longer it went on the more Aj would struggle.

But big respect to both guys - both had questions about their chins and they both took some hellacious shots and never onces did either look for a way out.

Joshua ticked some boxes tonight, but not ALL the boxes - the most worrying thing for him is how his engine seems to seize up after trying for a finish; it happened against Whyte and it happened again worse against Wlad. There is still too much of the robotic Frank Bruno about him. Maybe a lot of his power is loading up on punches so much that it drains hime of energy?

But I don't want to be too hard on him - I reckon he learned more in the first 2 rounds against Wlad than all his previous rounds put together, and I really didn't think he would get up from that cracking right hand from Wlad in the 6th. Props.

I hope Wlad retires now - he went out on his shield like a true champ, and apart from really trying to finish it in the 6th/7th he put pretty much everything into getting his titles back, but that uppercut? How did he stay up? Man, he showed real heart.

And pure class from both before and after the fight.

What next?

Whilst I'd put Joshua as favourite, if Wilder was to tag him with a right, would Ajs engine go again, and would Wilder be more capable of going for the kill than Wlad? That vulnerability at least gives Wilder a chance IMO.

Not sure Fury's gameplan against Wlad would work on AJ to be honest, but it would be another to see.

I hope Brook vs Spence can come close to this one!!

That was a great fight.

However, I think Wlad really messed up by not pulling the trigger in rounds 6/7 - he had Joshua on silly street, he was gassed and there to be KO'd but Wlad reeverted to his juab n grab style, no doubt thinking (like i did) that the longer it went on the more Aj would struggle.

But big respect to both guys - both had questions about their chins and they both took some hellacious shots and never onces did either look for a way out.

Joshua ticked some boxes tonight, but not ALL the boxes - the most worrying thing for him is how his engine seems to seize up after trying for a finish; it happened against Whyte and it happened again worse against Wlad. There is still too much of the robotic Frank Bruno about him. Maybe a lot of his power is loading up on punches so much that it drains hime of energy?

But I don't want to be too hard on him - I reckon he learned more in the first 2 rounds against Wlad than all his previous rounds put together, and I really didn't think he would get up from that cracking right hand from Wlad in the 6th. Props.

I hope Wlad retires now - he went out on his shield like a true champ, and apart from really trying to finish it in the 6th/7th he put pretty much everything into getting his titles back, but that uppercut? How did he stay up? Man, he showed real heart.

And pure class from both before and after the fight.

What next?

Whilst I'd put Joshua as favourite, if Wilder was to tag him with a right, would Ajs engine go again, and would Wilder be more capable of going for the kill than Wlad? That vulnerability at least gives Wilder a chance IMO.

Not sure Fury's gameplan against Wlad would work on AJ to be honest, but it would be another to see.

I hope Brook vs Spence can come close to this one!!

You sure AJ gassed himself? I thought it was clear as day he took some serious punch that sent his head wobbling in round 5 and then he got knocked down in round 6. I think he was dazed and then used the rounds up until 10 to recover.

You sure AJ gassed himself? I thought it was clear as day he took some serious punch that sent his head wobbling in round 5 and then he got knocked down in round 6. I think he was dazed and then used the rounds up until 10 to recover.

Yeah he definitely gassed from middle/late round 5 trying to get Wlad out after knocking him down, then obviously the knockdown in 6 didn't help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom